Another next-gen iPod nano case shows smaller form factor

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
New cases and screen protectors from overseas manufacturers have provided more evidence that Apple this week will unveil a dramatically redesigned iPod nano with a significantly smaller form factor.

The components are available for sale on Alibaba.com, a global online business-to-business trading platform. One seller, Jiangmen VIPO Electronic Technology Co., Ltd., is selling a screen protector claimed to fit Apple's sixth-generation iPod nano.

The accompanying render shows the device having a touch-like interface, with icons and graphics from the iPod touch. It also shows Wi-Fi connectivity, though the picture is clearly a render and likely a speculative mock-up on the part of the supplier.

Another seller, Orient King, has external protective cases available in a variety of colors for the sixth-generation iPod nano. The cases show that the next-generation device will include Apple's 30-pin dock connector, separately confirmed by AppleInsider last week.

The case also shows four potential additional button spaces on the exterior of the device, perhaps for physical inputs for volume controls and hold/lock.

In July, the same website sold parts claimed to be from the next-generation iPod touch. They showed a spot for a forward-facing camera, suggesting the next-generation device will support Apple's FaceTime video chat functionality.

Last week, AppleInsider reported that people familiar with the matter indicated that the size and shape of the next-generation iPod nano will be more akin to the iPod shuffle than the current-generation iPod nano. Even with this small size, however, it is expected to have a traditional iPod dock connector, allowing compatibility with the existing iPod accessory ecosystem.

A rendering of Apple's anticipated iPod nano refresh shows the screen size compared to a second-gen model.>

Also last week, separate third-party cases hinted at the form factor of the device. The new iPod nano is said to utilize a tiny 3cm-by-3cm display that was revealed in its bare form as unknown Apple-branded component earlier this summer. For comparison, the second-generation iPod nano had a screen that was about 3cm by 2.5cm.

Apple is expected to introduce its new line of iPods at an event scheduled for this Wednesday. The keynote will begin at 10 a.m. Pacific, 1 p.m. Eastern.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 100
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Looking at the pictures from the eBay listing of these cases, it's not a nano. It's a shuffle.

It has the distinctive power/shuffle/straight-playback switch that all shuffles have had previously and that no nano has ever had. The 30-pin USB and volume keys are just a boon.
  • Reply 2 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Looking at the pictures from the eBay listing of these cases, it's not a nano. It's a shuffle.

It has the distinctive power/shuffle/straight-playback switch that all shuffles have had previously and that no nano has ever had. The 30-pin USB and volume keys are just a boon.

I was actually wondering if maybe Apple will release this and kill off the shuffle (or the nano) and just have one tiny iPod. Either way, there's no way Apple would put Safari on a screen that small.
  • Reply 3 of 100
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    The shuffle will gain a screen, and the nano will be dropped.
  • Reply 4 of 100
    icarbonicarbon Posts: 196member
    Maybe it will be called the pico?
  • Reply 5 of 100
    cycomikocycomiko Posts: 716member
  • Reply 6 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galley View Post

The shuffle will gain a screen, and the nano will be dropped.

That would be a win, the current shuffle is disappointing, still have previous gen. They can call it nano or shuffle or whatever, that size is prefect and a touch screen + controls on headphones = win.
  • Reply 7 of 100
    And "Another next-gen iPod nano case shows smaller form factor" tomorrow?
  • Reply 8 of 100
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    What if apple is just going back to that square design they had for nanos a couple of years back?
  • Reply 9 of 100
    rbonnerrbonner Posts: 635member
    I am surprised that the case folks didn't tighten up a bit after the comment made about how leaky their pre-release security appears to be. Betting they sell way more if Apple allows for advance notice, which they will get more of if they learn to keep a secret.
  • Reply 10 of 100
    wdowellwdowell Posts: 226member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iCarbon View Post

Maybe it will be called the pico?

i have to say the iPod pico sounds nice!
  • Reply 11 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

What if apple is just going back to that square design they had for nanos a couple of years back?

Steve said people didn't like it. That's why they went back to the tall/skinny. He's not an idiot.
  • Reply 12 of 100
    Quote:

Steve said people didn't like it. That's why they went back to the tall/skinny. He's not an idiot.

Is there a way to resize images? Sorry for the size.

(source: com.com)

Looks similar to me.
  • Reply 13 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sonicsands View Post

But let's not forget they do two events in the fall. So maybe the Sept 1 event will be for the new nano, and then an Oct event will be held to announcement the new Apple TV, 7" iPad or whatever.

Yeah, who says? The September iPod event is a given, but Apple doesn't have a tradition of doing two "fall events". The October laptop event happened because the chips had come out. There's nothing that says anywhere that Apple will do two events.

Quote:

Looks similar to me.

Minus, you know, most similarities. And the means by which the thing is used.
  • Reply 14 of 100
    Quote:

Minus, you know, most similarities. And the means by which the thing is used.

I'm not saying I'm sure, but having a square design does not mean it has to be a shuffle or shuffle sized. Plus instead of using the small screen to touch why not make the rest of the surface a touch area (which I guess click wheel already is).
  • Reply 15 of 100
    Quote:

Kind of big for a shuffle, dont you think?

Not much larger than a second-gen. What, you actually WANT this thing to be the nano?

Quote:

I'm not saying I'm sure, but having a square design does not mean it has to be a shuffle or shuffle sized. Plus instead of using the small screen to touch why not make the rest of the surface a touch area (which I guess click wheel already is).

But we've already established that this is a touchscreen, so there's really little point in a touch-sensitive surface elsewhere.

And we already know that's NOT how it's going to be because of THIS:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/30/m...on-ipod-touch/

This is a case. THE SCREEN IS ALL THAT IT IS.
  • Reply 16 of 100
    rufworkrufwork Posts: 130member
    But this would miss out on the "eyes free" and car safe click wheel, which is half the reason to buy a nano now. Anybody ever try to pause a podcast on a touch when the phone rings? You either unplug it or you have to slide, click, click, click (heaven forbid you're accidentally on another app).

I realize the classic is still an option, but there have been rumors that it's going away too (though Gruber shoots them down, for the most part).

Vive la click wheel, please.
  • Reply 17 of 100
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Kind of big for a shuffle, dont you think?

Kind of small for a Nano. Consider that the Nano has had a small, yet widescreen displaybfpr video for a few years and a video camera for a year. Where is the video camera on this new device? How would you hold it? How would video play on a shorter display? Apple typically doesn't reduce features and usability when making a device smaller, so why now? How would this affect those who want a "full sized" Nano?

Now consider if this is a SuperShuffle, a Shuffle that is above and stone what all the other iPod Shuffles have been. It's still the smallest in the group and still has a clip for wearing, but now it has a display to make switching between playlists easier (a feature it added last year) as it's evolving to be a more comprehensive device as technology allows.

If they do call this a Nano I don't see how the current base Nano design could go away. However, if they call this a Shuffle I can see how te current Shuffle design could go away.
  • Reply 18 of 100
    Quote:

So maybe the Sept 1 event will be for the new nano, and then an Oct event will be held to announcement the new Apple TV, 7" iPad or whatever.

Apple has not done that in the past for consumer products like iPod, iPhone, Apple TV, iPad, etc. The September announcement the last several years has signaled what their lineup is going to be through the end of the holiday shopping season.

In October 2009, Apple announced desktop and notebook refreshes and Magic Mouse but no consumer products. In October 2008, Apple announced notebook and display refreshes but no consumer products.
  • Reply 19 of 100
    lvidallvidal Posts: 158member
    If that thing is true, and it is water resistant you can bet that the sportwatches are in trouble right now.
  • Reply 20 of 100
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lvidal View Post

If that thing is true, and it is water resistant you can bet that the sportwatches are in trouble right now.

That is what I was thinking... Regardless of whether its water proof or not, this in a watch case would be awesome...