Apple reveals new cloud-centric Apple TV

Comments

• Reply 281 of 378
    Disappointing!

What a shame, I was hoping the new ATV would be more, not less. The interface looks exactly the same as the current ATV. And apparently you can no longer BUY movies or TV shows or music on the ATV, you can only rent.

I was ready to run out and buy one of these things to replace my current Apple TV, but not now. This new version offers absolutely nothing I want, and takes away features I liked.

If Apple TV wasn't a hobby for Apple before, it sure is now. Pathetic.
  • Reply 282 of 378
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

If Blu-ray is so ideal then is there is more media consumed via the internet than on Blu-ray? Why is Netflix streaming growing so quickly?

I think it is funny how some people say disc are dead or streaming isn't going to work. I think there is a place for both discs and for online video. In our house, we have Netflix for Blu-ray and DVD and we do Netflix streaming via the Wii. We even have an Appletv for our DVD rips and maybe one day a rental. Even the new Blu-ray player will support streaming now. Everyone is just going to have to accept that both physical media and downloads will have to co-exist.
  • Reply 283 of 378
    Quote:

Do you think that the average consumer is up to speed and willing to rent Blu-ray disc so they can 1) do something illegal that has an FBI warning (in the US), and 2) take the time and effort to rip video when they can watch a show they missed or rent a movie on the go with a couple convenient clicks? I certainly don?t think so. I think iTunes Store video has its place, just as YouTube, Hulu, Netflix DVD, Netflix Blu-ray, Netflix streaming, RedBox, etc. all have their places.

I thought ripping the DVD for personal use on other devices constitutes fair use and is legal?
  • Reply 284 of 378
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    Quote:

Do you think that the average consumer is up to speed and willing to rent Blu-ray disc so they can 1) do something illegal that has an FBI warning (in the US), and 2) take the time and effort to rip video when they can watch a show they missed or rent a movie on the go with a couple convenient clicks? I certainly don?t think so. I think iTunes Store video has its place, just as YouTube, Hulu, Netflix DVD, Netflix Blu-ray, Netflix streaming, RedBox, etc. all have their places.

One thing about online videos, it opens them up to the internet where the average consumer learn about things such as ripping. You don't think the average consumer that shops for video on the iTunes store don't know about ripping?

Yes watching a show online when I miss a show is pretty convenient. I've started doing it this past year through abc.com, cbs.com and fox.com when I miss an episode of 24 or something like that.
  • Reply 285 of 378
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pondosinatra View Post

Hey genius, did you miss the part where I said 'the direction things are moving in'?

So what does "used to be able to..." mean to you?
  • Reply 286 of 378
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Cool device overall, but it's a bit nonsensical to expect users to 'rent' TV episodes for US .99 (at only 720p) when it's so easy to simply use a DVR/Tivo type device.

We'll See...

not only that but shows like big brother are online one hour after airing pacific time not to mention the dozens of free shows you can watch as they control their own commercial albeit one commercial every 15 minutes bs 4-5 on tv and if it will stream stuff from thebmac or PC that means all torrents in mpeg/avi format will play. Hope that works. If so it's preety cool but then, we do have dvrs but dvrs can't stream from the computer wheras this can. I think.

Anyone?
  • Reply 287 of 378
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trajectory View Post

Disappointing!

What a shame, I was hoping the new ATV would be more, not less. The interface looks exactly the same as the current ATV. And apparently you can no longer BUY movies or TV shows or music on the ATV, you can only rent.

I was ready to run out and buy one of these things to replace my current Apple TV, but not now. This new version offers absolutely nothing I want, and takes away features I liked.

If Apple TV wasn't a hobby for Apple before, it sure is now. Pathetic.

I just ordered mine. I'm moving my old AppleTv into the living room and this one into the bedroom. I'll let you know how bad it sucks soon.

- $99 well spent, IMO.
  • Reply 288 of 378
    Quote:

So all the millions of PCs and Macs and iPods and iPads that can play content from iTunes isn't enough?

Content is limited to the pc or Mac it was purchased from. Blu-Rays and DVDs are not locked to a user; you can use them in anyone's player.

Quote:

And what do you mean "it's future is always in question"? Who's future, iTunes?

The Apple TV's future is always in question, because it's "just a hobby". In a year there could be no device to play iTunes DRM'd videos on a television short of spending $700 on a Mac Mini.
  • Reply 289 of 378
    If all one can stream over the Internet is HD then...

- what about the non-HD content (movies and TV)

- how long will I wait to see a show. With a 3 Mbps Internet DSL connection I can watch a show in widescreen format in a few seconds. HD movies take over an hour to start. That doesn't work for me.
  • Reply 290 of 378
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Yeah, I just bought one, too! I already have an AppleTV but this is an improvement-- at least the beginning of one.

I am bummed, with no games, apps or SDK.

I think Apple really, really missed an opportunity by not announcing these today, and making the SDK available today.

Hopefully, by the time the device ships, they will rectify this-- otherwise, it is just a semi-useful, nice-looking square hockey puck!

I was thinking that streaming from iOS devices would fill this gap. If you assume that an iPhone 4 can produce a reasonable amount of frame rates for demanding games (like the one demoed) AND that it can stream a movie at acceptable frame rates to an aTV you could marry up the two capabilities for less demanding games and use game center as the lobby/match service.

Especially when the iPhone 5 should be more capable than the 4 when it gets a dual core ARM A9 and better GPU in a year.

It also skips the issue of controllers if all it does is provide a video endpoint for streaming from iOS devices. You have to have an iOS device to play in the first place so you must already have at least one controller.
  • Reply 291 of 378
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

I just ordered mine. I'm moving my old AppleTv into the living room and this one into the bedroom. I'll let you know how bad it sucks soon.

- $99 well spent, IMO.

I'm happy for you. But, it's not for me.
  • Reply 292 of 378
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

Content is limited to the pc or Mac it was purchased from. Blu-Rays and DVDs are not locked to a user; you can use them in anyone's player.

The Apple TV's future is always in question, because it's "just a hobby". In a year there could be no device to play iTunes DRM'd videos on a television short of spending $700 on a Mac Mini.

I know iTunes music no longer has DRM, so, you can play it on anyone's player, if I'm not mistaken. Not sure about movies or TV shows, though.

I do agree with you on the Apple TV.
  • Reply 293 of 378
    Quote:

That?s my point. It?s just an option. I can find multiple scenarios why each one of these various way to watch TV and movies works for someone at some time.

And I agree with you. But Apple and Steve Jobs don't agree with us. If they did, Blu-Ray would be an option in Macs, if not the Apple TV. They truly believe the physical disc will die at the hand of expensive, limited selection, limited use pay-per-view. Steve Jobs has more or less said so himself, and the Apple TV eliminating the ability to buy content at all backs it up.
  • Reply 294 of 378
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

YouTube yes, HD movie rentals from multiple sources, yes. Netflix streaming, yes. Pandora streaming, yes. You'd rarely if ever view flickr photos and podcasts on your television. But what you would view on your television is DVDs and Blu-Ray discs, neither of which the Apple TV can play despite costing just $30~ less than a Blu-Ray player that does all of these things.

Engadget's feature comparison.

What nonsense.

Who cares about engadget.com feature comparisons. They're useless.

I use my @TV for AirPlay all the time, especially music (which you skipped), home movies (which you skipped), TV shows (which you skipped), and photos (perhaps you are single and have no family, but that's fine). I watch iTunes podcasts (especially network news, GPS w/FZ etc) all the time.

I own a Sony BD player w/wifi (I dare you to find it for $70), and it is an utter p.o.s. for anything involving the internet. The set-up is frustrating, non-intuitive and clunky. Forget about Pandora or YouTube, even Netflix is an utter pain to set up. And, the input scheme (e.g., entering search terms) is beyond pathetic.

Finally, you must be the only person in the world for whom BD rentals cost 99 cents or less.
  • Reply 295 of 378
    Quote:

I'm happy for you. But, it's not for me.

And "it's for me." Do you have a point other than the fact that it's for some people and not others, e.g., like the Mac, or the iPad, or the the iPhone, or the Droid, or..... whatever?
  • Reply 296 of 378
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

And "it's for me." Do you have a point other than the fact that it's for some people and not others, e.g., like the Mac, or the iPad, or the the iPhone, or the Droid, or..... whatever?

He hates it, I love it. Life!
  • Reply 297 of 378
    Some of you are missing the potential of this. I got rid of my cable 6 months ago and I've been watching netflix streaming on my iMac since. Ive been buying DVDs of shows I like, such as "Curb" (HBO). After watching them, I sell the DVDs on ebay. I have ZERO interest in cable subscriptions. I have ZERO interest in "owning" physical or virtual content. I have ZERO interest in "owning" a show or movie. I want to watch what I want, when I want, all for a reasonable price, via an awesome interface. And if I can use my ipad for a remote, I'm doing headstands. This is the real promise of on demand...not some crap comcast wants to serve me over their craptacular hardware after they've collected $100/mo for a crap subscription. Can you tell I hate the cable companies?

Point is, there are more and more people thinking like me, and more to come in the future. BTW, I'm an old geezer at 52 so the future looks great for apple tv in my view. All the young kids are going to love this in due time. As soon as I upgrade my ancient TV, I will be all over this box. In fact, I finally have a good excuse for a new tv.
  • Reply 298 of 378
    Will iTunes 10 support my old Apple TV.. I love tune in the cloud , but what about all the stuff I have now...
  • Reply 299 of 378
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

Pretty surprised about no Apps. There are clearly complications but I thought there would be some kind of intro to Apps.

Exatly what I thought. No apps? Only 720p? I mean it's neat, and if it could extend my network like an airport express then I might get it, but right now no sale.
  • Reply 300 of 378
    tzbtzb Posts: 19member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

If you have a 1080p display, your TV will upscale to that resolution anyway. BTW, no TV upscales to 1080i.

Actually, my CRT HDTV upscales 480i/p and 720p to its native 1080i resolution.