Apple reveals new cloud-centric Apple TV

Comments

• Reply 261 of 378
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr Underhill View Post

Right that's it. Glove across your face. The next time i'm across the pond i'll give you a choice...pistols or sword?

Glove across my face? What is this the early 20th Century? I suppose that was the last time England was relevant to the rest of the world. As for pistols or sword.... You need weapons? And don't forget what happpened the last time England came to the US looking for a fight. Back to the original message, hopefully for the sake of England they will use the VAT to train more brits in the field of dentistry....
  • Reply 262 of 378
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pt123 View Post

One problem with digital downloads that many people don't talk about is how they are going to store those downloads. Get external hard drives and juggle them? Well, Apple took care of that problem.

That they did. But, if the world wanted a strictly PPV business model, the DVD would have never caught on. Satellite and cable providers have been offering $4.99 per viewing movie rentals for decades. People don't want to buy digital movies and tv shows, and they don't want to replace buying their favorite movies with pay per view.

When Apple can offer 8 HD rentals a month for $15 or less, they'll have a service that's better than discs-by-mail from Netflix or Blockbuster.
  • Reply 263 of 378
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

But, if the world wanted a strictly PPV business model, the DVD would have never caught on.

— But, if the world wanted a strictly DVD business model, then PPV would have never caught on.

— But, if the world wanted a strictly month subscription cable/sat business model, then Internet streaming of TV shows would have never caught on.

— But, if the world wanted a strictly Netflix DVD business model, then Netflix streaming would have never caught on.
  • Reply 264 of 378
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

Instead of making assumptions, why not look into it? This is the current video out interface (note the text instructing you to touch and hold for the "laser pointer"), there's no telling if Air Play would do anything different (or if Keynote will even be supported by Airplay), but there is no reason to assume the most outlandish things like losing control of your iPad if you use Air Play.

"I assume it doesn't do this, therefore it sucks" isn't the most effective argument. I will admit that there is room for improvement in that keynote UI, but those are design issues with the app, not a fundamental flaw of video out.

I suspect you assume that I have no actual experience!

Have you ever plugged an iPod or an iPhone into Apple's TV Dock? You lose all video on the iDevice. This is a much simpler, less-intensive connection than streaming.

So, based on my actual experience, and what I saw in the demo, I think it is reasonable to assume that is what will happen with AirPlay.

I've watched Steve Jobs long enough to know that if this desirable capability currently existed, he would have stressed it to the hilt. Instead, he started a stream, the screen went blank, and he moved on!

• Reply 265 of 378
    Are new shows available to rent on apple tv at the same time they are broadcast for the first time?
  • Reply 266 of 378
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CIM View Post

You still own your media?it?s just digital now.

And infested with toxic Apple DRM. With a blu-ray you can play it in any BD player from any manufacturer, or in most new PC desktops and laptops, not to mention the ubiquitous PS3.

Plus with BD you get vastly higher picture and sound quality than an 'HD' download, and you can even loan the disc out to friends and family.

Digital is great for spur of the moment rentals, but not much else, at least not until it's DRM free and 45mbit 1080p.
  • Reply 267 of 378
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

? But, if the world wanted a strictly DVD business model, then PPV would have never caught on.

? But, if the world wanted a strictly month subscription cable/sat business model, then Internet streaming of TV shows would have never caught on.

? But, if the world wanted a strictly Netflix DVD business model, then Netflix streaming would have never caught on.

What's your point? You seem to have missed mine. PPV movies and tv shows is not the future; it's just one option.
  • Reply 268 of 378
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

And infested with toxic Apple DRM. With a blu-ray you can play it in any BD player from any manufacturer, or in most new PC desktops and laptops, not to mention the ubiquitous PS3.

Plus with BD you get vastly higher picture and sound quality than an 'HD' download, and you can even loan the disc out to friends and family.

Digital is great for spur of the moment rentals, but not much else, at least not until it's DRM free and 45mbit 1080p.

I agree completely- why would you purchase a movie in anything bu the highest quality available?
  • Reply 269 of 378
    Quote:

What's your point? You seem to have missed mine. PPV movies and tv shows is not the future; it's just one option.

That?s my point. It?s just an option. I can find multiple scenarios why each one of these various way to watch TV and movies works for someone at some time.
  • Reply 270 of 378
    Quote:

Scenerio 00: I missed a TV show for whatever reason. But because I will allow myself to watch anything less than High Profil 1080p after it aires I have to wait nearly a year before it comes out on Blu-ray. To make matters worse, I really like this show and it has a series and season long hook that makes it less than ideal to watch the next week’s episode and waiting until the following year to watch my missed episode.

Scenerio 01: I missed a TV show for whatever reason. But because I have an TV I can rent it the next day for 99¢.

Scenerio 10: I am going on a trip and really could use some entertainment. I’m taking my iPad but don’t want to deal with the rigamarole of waiting for Netflix Blu-ray discs in the mail, then ripping them to play on the iPad, so instead I just purchase some TV shows and rent some movies, which are all only a couple clicks away.

These aren’t spur of the moment scenarios and the first one describes a situation that would require many months for Blu-ray to be released, but it’s good that you bring that up “spur of the moment". Internet connected media is fast compared to waiting for an Amazon package to arrive, or Netflix to send you a package, or even driving to the store to look for, buy/rent, and bring up a Blu-ray disc. The people these devices are geared for have a decent internet speed and want their content quickly and conveniently.

If Blu-ray is so ideal then is there is more media consumed via the internet than on Blu-ray? Why is Netflix streaming growing so quickly?
  • Reply 271 of 378
    Quote:

Don't you realize that DVDs and Bluray discs all have a type of DRM on them to prevent you from ripping and copying them?
  • Reply 272 of 378
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Oh, and it does Airplay, Youtube, flickr, Podcasts, etc too?

YouTube yes, HD movie rentals from multiple sources, yes. Netflix streaming, yes. Pandora streaming, yes. You'd rarely if ever view flickr photos and podcasts on your television. But what you would view on your television is DVDs and Blu-Ray discs, neither of which the Apple TV can play despite costing just $30~ less than a Blu-Ray player that does all of these things.

Engadget's feature comparison.
  • Reply 273 of 378
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trajectory View Post

Don't you realize that DVDs and Bluray discs all have a type of DRM on them to prevent you from ripping and copying them?

Irrelevant when there's millions upon millions of devices that can freely play them; it's not like each disc is locked to a single player. On the contrary, there's only one device that can play iTunes movies and TV shows on your television, and it's future is always in question.
  • Reply 274 of 378
    Quote:

Irrelevant when there's millions upon millions of devices that can freely play them; it's not like each disc is locked to a single player. On the contrary, there's only one device that can play iTunes movies and TV shows on your television, and it's future is always in question.

So all the millions of PCs and Macs and iPods and iPads that can play content from iTunes isn't enough?

And what do you mean "it's future is always in question"? Who's future, iTunes?
  • Reply 275 of 378
    Quote:

YouTube yes, HD movie rentals from multiple sources, yes. Netflix streaming, yes. Pandora streaming, yes. You'd rarely if ever view flickr photos and podcasts on your television. But what you would view on your television is DVDs and Blu-Ray discs, neither of which the Apple TV can play despite costing just $30~ less than a Blu-Ray player that does all of these things.

Engadget's feature comparison.

1) You can find Blu-ray players for under $100. Which one do you think would get me to the Netflix, YouTube, or play a rented TV show faster from the couch with a few clicks of the remote? I have my answer.

2) A white paper feature comparison is not a performance comparison.

3) A white paper feature comparison is not a usability comparison.

4) 1) A white paper feature comparison is not a convenience comparison.

5) How is it certain posters can?t fathom how a device could work for others if doesn?t fit their needs?
  • Reply 276 of 378
    Not much of a point for a product like this in today's market. Netflix pretty much obsoletes (imo) all of the other things that this box can do. Most HDTVs, Blu ray players, and the three major consoles can use Netflix now so your getting two for one. Also using this as a "mobile" Netflix and movie viewer in, say, hotel rooms is kinda a waste of 100 bucks as I can just use my ipod or laptop, most hotels have wifi now, and your gonna be lucky if you get behind some TVs and manage to function the remote to switch to an HDMI.
  • Reply 277 of 378
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trajectory View Post

Between DVDFab and Handbrake (+ VLC), the DRM is not really a big deal, most of the time, there are a few disc that is able to trick the ripper.
  • Reply 278 of 378
    I noticed during the ATV demo that there is a button for games but SJ did not mention anything about it.
  • Reply 279 of 378
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pt123 View Post

Between DVDFab and Handbrake (+ VLC), the DRM is not really a big deal, most of the time, there are a few disc that is able to trick the ripper.

Do you think that the average consumer is up to speed and willing to rent Blu-ray disc so they can 1) do something illegal that has an FBI warning (in the US), and 2) take the time and effort to rip video when they can watch a show they missed or rent a movie on the go with a couple convenient clicks? I certainly don?t think so. I think iTunes Store video has its place, just as YouTube, Hulu, Netflix DVD, Netflix Blu-ray, Netflix streaming, RedBox, etc. all have their places.
  • Reply 280 of 378
    Okay, the new Apple TV doesn't have storage to download movies to. I'm cool with that. Switching between "shared library" and "sync" mode, to save your purchased movies, was always a PITA with the previous model.

But, I'd STILL like to have the option to rent or buy. I'd like to buy a movie and have the AppleTV stream it to my iTunes library, where I can put it on my ipod, iphone, stream it to the AppleTV, watch whenever I want, and back up with Time Machine.

Please don't tell me I now don't have to trundle off to the office to actually purchase a movie after watching the preview on the Apple TV! Ack!