Movies won't synch onto iPhone4...Arrrggghhh!

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Hi,



Newbie here. I have been trying to synch my movies onto my iPhone 4. I've tried various ways to no avail. They are in the correct format i.e. mpeg 576x256. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Barry
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 22
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 14,209moderator
    How are you encoding them? If you use a 3rd party .mp4 encoder, sometimes it doesn't like the headers in which case you have to put it through Quicktime 7 using a passthrough encode.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post


    How are you encoding them? If you use a 3rd party .mp4 encoder, sometimes it doesn't like the headers in which case you have to put it through Quicktime 7 using a passthrough encode.



    Hi Marvin,

    I've been downloading them from Vuze and then converting them from there into itunes. It was never a problem on my iPhone 3GS though.
  • Reply 3 of 22
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 14,209moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacBus View Post


    Hi Marvin,

    I've been downloading them from Vuze and then converting them from there into itunes. It was never a problem on my iPhone 3GS though.



    Did you update iTunes since moving to the iPhone 4 or is the OS version changed? This happened to me once after an iTunes update. If you can get hold of Quicktime 7 Pro, like I say using export to mp4 with passthrough might make it work. You can also try using iSquint to convert the movies:



    http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/19769/isquint
  • Reply 4 of 22
    I marvin, sorry late reply. Just got a hold of iSquint so going to give it a go now. Will report back later. Thanks again for your help and input.

    Barry
  • Reply 5 of 22
    iSquint is unfortunately no more supported under Snow Leopard.

    All our hopes are now in hands of Streamclip team.
  • Reply 6 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post


    iSquint is unfortunately no more supported under Snow Leopard.

    All our hopes are now in hands of Streamclip team.



    Hi Ivan,



    Just tried a movie on iSquint and it took 15 mins to convert and then it transferred into my iTunes. Just tried to Synch selected movie and nothing happened. It's going thru the 5 steps of synching the notes etc but just seems to bypass movies. It's getting very frustrating. I'll try your linky. Is the link not a program for watching movies??. I need to transfer converted files onto my iPhone and it's not happening!!!!

    Tks,

    Barry.
  • Reply 7 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacBus View Post


    Hi Ivan,



    Just tried a movie on iSquint and it took 15 mins to convert and then it transferred into my iTunes. Just tried to Synch selected movie and nothing happened. It's going thru the 5 steps of synching the notes etc but just seems to bypass movies. It's getting very frustrating. I'll try your linky.

    Tks,

    Barry.



    Hi, Barry.



    Umm...

    Streamclip is video conversion utility just like iSquint (except iSquint is discontinued and may stop working under SL at any moment; it's already dead on my machines, for instance).

    Please mind that Streamclip won't make synching itself easier nor automate that process in any way. You are still to check all boxes in Movies tab of iTunes.
  • Reply 8 of 22
    Just being "mpeg" doesn't mean it's compatible... Way too many options withing that, many of which are not supported by the iPhone/pod/pad.



    Use "Handbrake" to transcode them.... They have a an iPod/phone preset that will make them work.



    I'll just assume that the videos you are downloading are non-copyrighted, or you already own the VHS version... Otherwise, we're not supposed to promote/help with piracy on here.
  • Reply 9 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post


    Just being "mpeg" doesn't mean it's compatible... Way too many options withing that, many of which are not supported by the iPhone/pod/pad.



    Use "Handbrake" to transcode them.... They have a an iPod/phone preset that will make them work.



    I'll just assume that the videos you are downloading are non-copyrighted, or you already own the VHS version... Otherwise, we're not supposed to promote/help with piracy on here.



    Of course I have the original VHS/Betamax version . I hadn't thought of Handbrake. Is it as simple as downloading the tool, clicking and dragging the movies onto my desktop and importing them into handbrake? Sorry all the questions.



    @Ivan, thanks again. Will try both guys.



    Tks,

    Barry
  • Reply 10 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacBus View Post


    ... Is it as simple as downloading the tool, clicking and dragging the movies onto my desktop and importing them into handbrake?...



    Not quite drag-and-drop simple, but it isn't difficult.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post


    Not quite drag-and-drop simple, but it isn't difficult.



    OK, converted them thru HandBrake, dragged them back into iTunes in correct format and when I Synch the iPhone goes thru everything BUT the F*****g Movies. I have tried synching from Movies to no avail. What am I doing wrong here?????



    A very frustrated....Barry
  • Reply 12 of 22
    Quick question... the computer you are using...

    Is it a Mac or Windows based?
  • Reply 13 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacBus View Post


    OK, converted them thru HandBrake, dragged them back into iTunes in correct format and when I Synch the iPhone goes thru everything BUT the F*****g Movies. I have tried synching from Movies to no avail. What am I doing wrong here?????



    A very frustrated....Barry



    Wait... what? In iTunes, go to Movies tab of iPhone, which you connected to your machine. Verify newly imported movies are in your synching list. (You may eventually need to go see them in Music tab, if they are typed as `Music Video', check out the type of movie with the `Get Info' pane.) Add them to your synching set, if needed.



    P.S. It's often useful to change the type of your movies to `Music Video' in iTunes. You then can have ``Lyrics' ', all orientations (umm, that may be fixed in iOS 4*) authors, genres and all human-understandable categories in the iPod app and all other goodies, which come with.
  • Reply 14 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post


    Wait... what? In iTunes, go to Movies tab of iPhone, which you connected to your machine. Verify newly imported movies are in your synching list. (You may eventually need to go see them in Music tab, if they are typed as `Music Video', check out the type of movie with the `Get Info' pane.) Add them to your synching set, if needed.



    P.S. It's often useful to change the type of your movies to `Music Video' in iTunes. You then can have ``Lyrics' ', all orientations (umm, that may be fixed in iOS 4*) authors, genres and all human-understandable categories in the iPod app and all other goodies, which come with.



    No Ivan, they are in my Movies tab on the iPhone and I have no Movies under the Music tab. I have ticked the box of the movie I imported after converting it in HandBrake and it still bypasses 'Movies' when synching. I think I need to get my hands on an Apple geek that can have a look at my computer.



    @kingOfSomewhereHot, it's a MacBook Pro.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacBus View Post


    No Ivan, they are in my Movies tab on the iPhone and I have no Movies under the Music tab. I have ticked the box of the movie I imported after converting it in HandBrake and it still bypasses 'Movies' when synching. I think I need to get my hands on an Apple geek that can have a look at my computer.



    @kingOfSomewhereHot, it's a MacBook Pro.



    Well, using Handbrake might have been your mistake. Some versions of that crap are known for actually creating ``their own mpeg' '.



    If you aren't giving up yet, try to apply conversion right inside the iTunes: Advanced>Create iPod iPhone version.



  • Reply 16 of 22
    Ivan,

    It's saying they weren't converted because they already were in the correct format.



    Barry.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    Then you're doomed.

    How big is your movie? Isn't it bigger, than your iPhone storage capacity?

    Does iPhone capacity meter read differently after you've synced your stuff?
  • Reply 18 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post


    Then you're doomed.

    How big is your movie? Isn't it bigger, than your iPhone storage capacity?

    Does iPhone capacity meter read differently after you've synced your stuff?



    Hi Ivan,



    I was dooooooomed a long time ago. The movies seem to be in the correct format. I have at least 8g's left on the iPhone meter. It doesn't budge after I synch it, and because it is driving me mad I have only been selecting 1 movie at a time to synch. I have even been changing each movie just in case it is movie specific. I'm going to Newport for a wedding on tuesday and would dearly love to be able to stick a few movies on the phone for my flight, otherwise it's out with the MacBook Pro and I might even have to invest in an iPad when I'm in the Apple Store in Boston. Anyway, thanks for the input guys, the mystery continues.....



    Barry
  • Reply 19 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacBus View Post


    Hi Ivan,

    It doesn't budge after I synch it, and because it is driving me mad I have only been selecting 1 movie at a time to synch.

    Barry



    On the iPhone4 summary screen in iTunes - do you have the "Sync only checked songs and videos" selected? This option can catch out some people.



    C.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacBus View Post


    I'm going to Newport for a wedding on tuesday and would dearly love to be able to stick a few movies on the phone for my flight



    Sorry, for having been harsh, Barry.



    Unfortunately, with remote guidance we really seem going nowhere... Would be much more helpful, I believe, to reproduce your problems before eyes of some Mac guy.



    The issues like yours happen from time to time, it's not something exceptional. iTunes verifies encoding, the file size and available space on the handset, and, sure, wants you to check several checkboxes at various locations. Some people don't trust Handbrake with re-encoding stuff for iPod.
Sign In or Register to comment.