I can't recommend the iPad to Granny.

Comments

• Reply 21 of 53
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,388moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hudson1 View Post

As in "you can't just ring up a phone at the store register, open the box, and start making calls in two seconds." If you're going to complain about not being able to do that with an iPad then why haven't 1 billion people complained about that with phones?

I'm pretty sure you can do that (in-store activation). In fact I don't know of any phone besides the iPhone that requires you to tether it to a computer before using it for its primary function. No phone I've ever bought required this.

Not everyone sets up the phones in-store in much the same way they don't build their Ikea furniture in-store. The item is in a box in a few separate pieces - separate sim and battery and it should be charged fully before use (note: recommendation, not requirement).

It's not really the time it takes that's the issue though. A number of people who have mobile phones don't have computers. Those people can't buy an iPad and use it to the full extent without depending on someone else.
  • Reply 22 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I'm pretty sure you can do that (in-store activation). In fact I don't know of any phone besides the iPhone that requires you to tether it to a computer before using it for its primary function. No phone I've ever bought required this.

Not everyone sets up the phones in-store in much the same way they don't build their Ikea furniture in-store. The item is in a box in a few separate pieces - separate sim and battery and it should be charged fully before use (note: recommendation, not requirement).

It's not really the time it takes that's the issue though. A number of people who have mobile phones don't have computers. Those people can't buy an iPad and use it to the full extent without depending on someone else.

Ireland's complaint seems to be that an iPad requires some kind of activation, even if it's just in an Apple Store. Though it may be a shorter process, mobile phone require an activation, too. I guess that was my point.
  • Reply 23 of 53
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

DROIIIIID does:

You still need a computer to set up your gmail account, contacts, and calendar. As well a computer is better for managing media before you sync to the mobile device.

Quote:

Cumbersome setup process but not as cumbersome as someone unboxing a tablet and having to plug it into a PC and open iTunes, which they may not have (requiring a download and install).

The primary reason to plug in to a computer is to sync media. That is always going to be faster over a wire than wireless. Syncing through iTunes is not that cumbersome.

Quote:

A lot of old people have poor eyesight and the last thing they want to do is get down on all fours behind a dusty old PC and figure out which of the 20 or so ports back there is a USB port. It might be the last trip they ever make.

You would have to have a pretty old computer to not have direct access to a USB port up front

Quote:

The simple reason why syncing should be optional is because once you sync, people find they can use the device almost indefinitely so why require it in the first place? System updates and backups are different but there's no reason they can't be done on the device too like I described above with an SD slot. Updates should have automatic recovery and roll-back.

For documents and text based information wireless syncing is fine, the iPhone can already do that. You leave out all of the other things that iTunes is used to sync which is not so great over WFi.
  • Reply 24 of 53
    In nearly 10 years Apple has sold approximately 320 million devices that require direct access to iTunes. I don't think this is as big a problem for people as you make it sound.

Quote:

But if they remove the requirement then it's not a problem for anyone. Right now it prevents people buying one so there is no logical reason to have it in the first place.

• Reply 25 of 53
    I just had a friend who was going through the process of activating his Verizon Blackberry. He was telling me the steps he had to go through. He had to go through a long process of having his number ported, then activating the phone with a voice menu, then downloading BB Desktop Manager. Converting his contacts into the right file format and so on.

I told him when I bought the original iPhone. I plugged it into an in store computer. My number was instantly ported, my phone was automatically activated, my emails, contacts, and calendar were instantly set up.

Within 15 minutes I walked out of the store with a fully functional phone.

Quote:

• Reply 26 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

She never used a computer. I see the iPad being her best chance.

Ah, I see.

Quote:

Granny doesn't have a traditional computer, the iPad requires one, i can't recommend it to her. Artificially tying the iPad to iTunes on a Mac or PC to turn it on for the first time is dumb.

Its not dumb there are very good reasons for that. For one it allows the iPad to be a simpler device. Its just not what you would prefer the situation to be.
  • Reply 27 of 53
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hudson1 View Post

As in "you can't just ring up a phone at the store register, open the box, and start making calls in two seconds."

Actually, you can. Pay as you go phones do just that, which is why they are the most popular in my country.
  • Reply 28 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

In nearly 10 years Apple has sold approximately 320 million devices that require direct access to iTunes. I don't think this is as big a problem for people as you make it sound.

The iPad is a computer, iPods weren't.
  • Reply 29 of 53
    Quote:

Its not dumb there are very good reasons for that. For one it allows the iPad to be a simpler device.

Simpler? I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but having to connect it to a Mac or PC to use it for the first time is not simpler than opening the box and turning it on. It's just not. If you take the Apple TV as an example, Steve agrees the computer made the whole thing more messy. The iPad is just like that. Your iTunes account keeps track of your purchases anyway, so backup is a sugar coating.

Optionally being able to sync it with your computer is one thing, a nice feature to have, but being "forced" to sync it is an entirely different matter. Currently you can't even use it without doing this. It's silly and tied down. And most unnecessary.

Quote:

Its just not what you would prefer the situation to be.

Nor Granny.

What I'm asking for makes so much sense anyway, it feels silly arguing about it. Just get it done, Apple.
  • Reply 30 of 53
    Quote:

The iPad is a computer, iPods weren't.

The iPad is an iOS device. Its essentially a larger iPod Touch with the UI tweaked for the larger screen. Its no more or no less a computer than any other iOS device.

Quote:

Simpler? I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but having to connect it to a Mac or PC to use it for the first time is not simpler than opening the box and turning it on. It's just not.

You are only looking at it conceptually from the user standpoint. To be completely independent of a computer would require more of the iPad itself, require more complex functionality under the hood.

Quote:

What I'm asking for makes so much sense anyway, it feels silly arguing about it. Just get it done, Apple.

Yes you are right it would be better for Granny, but that does not mean Apple has the capability right now of doing this.
  • Reply 31 of 53
    Quote:

The iPad is an iOS device. Its essentially a larger iPod Touch with the UI tweaked for the larger screen. Its no more or no less a computer than any other iOS device.

The iPod touch is not out that long, guy was talking about all iPods.

iPad is more of computer, fair enough the new iPod touch has cameras, but with the iPad people think "computer". That's what matters. A tied-to-your-Mac-or-PC-computer. Cut the cord.
  • Reply 32 of 53
    Quote:

You are only looking at it conceptually from the user standpoint.

Perhaps that's because I am a user.

My Gran is a user too. Imagine that.
  • Reply 33 of 53
    Quote:

Yes you are right it would be better for Granny, but that does not mean Apple has the capability right now of doing this.

Actually they do.
  • Reply 34 of 53
    Granny is still iPad-less.
  • Reply 35 of 53
    Quote:

Granny is still iPad-less.

You don't need a pad when you use Depends.
  • Reply 36 of 53
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    I do agree that the iPad needs a prompt when you first set it up asking if you will be syncing with a computer or want to go ahead and just set it up. You always have the option to sync it up simply by attaching it to iTunes and syncing later on down the road.

Also, how about the ability to attach the iPad to an external drive just for backups? If you're using it for all your downloading music and videos and content making (papers, spreadsheet, etc), it would be nice to hook it up to a blank drive and be asked if you want to use it as your iPad backup drive. Even add this functionality to the Time Capsule and you should be able to do it wirelessly as well.
  • Reply 37 of 53
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:

Simpler? I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but having to connect it to a Mac or PC to use it for the first time is not simpler than opening the box and turning it on. It's just not.

I agree, but again, it's also just a one time task. It doesn't need to be connected to a computer ever again. You'd take delivery of it, activate it and then give it to her. Or if there is a nearby Apple store, I'm told they can activate it for you.

I thought about doing the same with my grandmother, but her cell coverage was too weak.
  • Reply 38 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin;

The filesystem controls wouldn't even need to be that complex though because you don't really have to copy files to an iPad storage area so it would be like column view but just the last two columns. If you tap a folder, it opens the folder in the same column. It would look like this:

What a delightful choice of screenshot.
  • Reply 39 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I agree, but again, it's also just a one time task.

There's no need to force it to be necessary. No need. Google are going to outsmart Apple if they are not careful.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

You'd take delivery of it, activate it and then give it to her.

Hahaahah!!!

Hahaahah!!!

Hahaahah!!!

Hahaahah!!!

Hahaahah!!!
  • Reply 40 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

What a delightful choice of screenshot.

Now is not the time.