Apple cleans up spam, tweaks interface in iTunes Ping

Comments

• Reply 21 of 64
    I downloaded iTunes 10 in the hopes it was improved. Since much of my library is from CDs that aren't available in iTunes and many lectures from authors I like, the new division of sections isn't really different for me. The lectures don't have meta data. I must fill in the titles and track names.

The music CDs can't access data from iTunes because those artists aren't there. I might as well use some other open source media player. I don't get movies from iTunes because I have Netflix. I'm not a movie collector.

The only reason I'm keeping iTunes is because I'm buying an iPod and it will interface much better with iTunes.

Ping is 100% about marketing with social pressure added. If your friends get a song you had better try it and get it too. If you don't then you somehow have inferior taste.

I gave up on Facebook because it became a blurb festival. Each person made their blurbs and most of them were pointless.

MySpace may be less popular but to me it offers a place for me to post blogs to inform my friends what I'm doing and what I'm into with much more detail. They even added their own place for members to post blurbs but it isn't the focus of the site. It is just a feature that can be ignored.
  • Reply 22 of 64
    Unless I am allowed to have multiple accounts for my family and me, it's completely pointless. Not worth the bother.

All of us share one account, but each of us has a different musical taste (jazz, pop, hard rock, classical in terms of primary interest). Moreover, each of our individual Macs contains all the music (via home sharing), sort of a collective back-up in the event someone's hard drive gets fried.

Apple's system is likely to be quite confused if it relies on forming 'judgments' from just iTunes-downloaded stuff on my one account.

I'll check back when Ping has grown up a bit, and has actually become useful.
  • Reply 23 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Unless I am allowed to have multiple accounts for my family and me, it's completely pointless. Not worth the bother.

All of us share one account, but each of us has a different musical taste (jazz, pop, hard rock, classical in terms of primary interest). Moreover, each of our individual Macs contains all the music (via home sharing), sort of a collective back-up in the event someone's hard drive gets fried.

Apple's system is likely to be quite confused if it relies on forming 'judgments' from just iTunes-downloaded stuff on my one account.

I'll check back when Ping has grown up a bit, and has actually become useful.

I get what you're saying, but it would be beneficial for you to sign yourself up at least. The more people that are using and giving feedback, the faster Apple will make it the Ping you want it to be.
  • Reply 24 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sippincider View Post

Oh... the... irony.

Steve, it kinda sucks when companies demand onerous terms, doesn't it?

Yes, poor Facebook. Apple will have a service in 12-14 months that will completely destroy Facebook.

Facebook reminds me of AOL somehow, maybe because it's junk and everyone uses it. \
  • Reply 25 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by technohermit View Post

...Facebook reminds me of AOL somehow, maybe because it's junk and everyone uses it. \

I remember watching everyone flock to AOL in the early days over Prodigy and wondering WHY WHY WHY? It was constantly downloading updates on your dime. It didn't have a real web browser for real Internet access when Prodigy did. Customer service wouldn't let you quit. It was horrible ! But it was the clear-cut winner in that race.

Facebook has a terrible interface. It blatantly ignores what is reasonable regarding privacy. How it got to be the new AOL is as mysterious as how AOL became synonymous with being "online."

Stephen Case and Zuckerberg strike me as opportunists. Yes - they made things happen - and I respect that enormously. But they're not visionaries. When people like Case and Zuckerberg and perhaps Kevin Rose are left to run these companies -startups that gain considerable wealth and customer bases - their weaknesses are exposed.

The Google guys knew to bring in Schmidt. Is Zuckerberg really a CEO type?
  • Reply 26 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TimUSCA View Post

I get what you're saying, but it would be beneficial for you to sign yourself up at least. The more people that are using and giving feedback, the faster Apple will make it the Ping you want it to be.

Nah, that is too time-consuming a way for me to give feedback to Apple. If I was Apple, I'd be foolish to be not looking for good feedback from sites such as AI anyway. If they are not doing that, it's their loss (given that, after all, there are only a few good sites to keep tabs on).
  • Reply 27 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Still not touching it with a ten foot pole until they fix the gender/name thing and make it a bit more inviting and useful.

Really? I put my business name in the First name and "Me" in the last name. Whats the problem?
  • Reply 28 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sleepy Dinosaur View Post

Their goal is music based social networking....these things are essential

actually I suspect that this in fact is NOT their goal. But in fact it is just as it was on lala.com, networking as a way to augment their 'genius' system in order to get folks to buy more music. And that is all.

Which is why it is all itunes based and wasn't some great new magical web features called Pingbook.com with all the checkins, photo posting, status updates etc
  • Reply 29 of 64
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sleepy Dinosaur View Post

I wouldn't mind having my library scanned. Genius does it anyway.

I do buy from iTunes, but also bleep.com, cd rips small label mp3 stores.

I think Ping needs to include the whole library and integrate with facebook and twitter while also offering an instant message functionality. Their goal is music based social networking....these things are essential

Ithink Ping needs to disappear from my iTunes window, because I'll never ever use it. You can't get it out of the window! Creepy.
  • Reply 30 of 64
    Quote:

They want to know what you bought, and by extension what you are likely to buy next.

They (Apple) already know what you bought--they sold it to you in the first place, and they have your entire purchase history. That's missing the point.

The real reason you can only "like" music in the iTunes store is because that's what they have on offer. Apple doesn't care that you might like The Beatles, because they can't currently sell you any of their tunes. It's the same reason the Genius feature doesn't process and can't recommend music that's not on the iTunes store.
  • Reply 31 of 64
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:

Yeah, almost every "feature" of Ping is basically just for the record companies, not the end users.

This is the same reason they won't scan other titles in your library besides the purchased ones. It's not that hard to do, they just don't care about music you already had. They want to know what you bought, and by extension what you are likely to buy next. Again, so they can *market* to you.

How did you come to that conclusion?

You can manually "pick the music you like" and it doesn't have to be any that you purchased or on your computer, or even list any at all.
  • Reply 32 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TimUSCA View Post

A spam site that is purely programmed to try and sell you more music?

Suck all personal information from you and you're friends and make you pay for the convenience of using it?

Please tell me what is so appealing about a feature that does nothing but allow me to stalk other artists trying to get me to buy their music?

This isn't a social feature it's a money making scam. Fortunately just like every other Apple 1.0 software/hardware it's an unfinished still in beta form. I must just be using it wrong...
  • Reply 33 of 64
    jmmxjmmx Posts: 341member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

GQB ? No, putting the antenna on the outside to improve reception was a brilliant idea. Putting it into the hands of self-righteous idiots was the big mistake.

Great one!
  • Reply 34 of 64
    I agree with the analysis that Apple is not a social company. Steve Jobs is not social. He is a real good businessman and salesman. Apple doesn't know how to make a social community. They might be lucky with all their iTunes subscribers that make it work. Still I hate Facebook and thus I hate Ping. People can't be/act social to their neighbours but are trying to be social on the web. Being social is not only getting along with those that have the same interests, beliefs, culture, taste etc. But especially with those that are different. Plus the system of followers and being followed (leaders?) is such a narcissitic and self-centered system that the word social doesn't even fit the terms. Facebook is NOT a community. It doesn't help you out when your house burns down or when your children are ill. You cannot have a BBQ or a yard sale with them. If our youngsters learn facebook and ping to be a community I see a dark future for my kids. People are made to interact face to face in person. Not virtually.
  • Reply 35 of 64
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MenLoveToys View Post

Suck all personal information from you and you're friends and make you pay for the convenience of using it?

Please tell me what is so appealing about a feature that does nothing but allow me to stalk other artists trying to get me to buy their music?

This isn't a social feature it's a money making scam. Fortunately just like every other Apple 1.0 software/hardware it's an unfinished still in beta form. I must just be using it wrong...

It's free. Nobody is making you pay for anything.
  • Reply 36 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

While I personally don't mind, I think some people would raise privacy concerns of them scanning their library. Also, as some have mentioned above, some people don't properly keep tabs on their library and are missing a lot of things in their tags.

How on earth can people have privacy issues with Apple scanning their library of music?
  • Reply 37 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacShack View Post

I agree with the analysis that Apple is not a social company. Steve Jobs is not social. He is a real good businessman and salesman. Apple doesn't know how to make a social community. They might be lucky with all their iTunes subscribers that make it work. Still I hate Facebook and thus I hate Ping. People can't be/act social to their neighbours but are trying to be social on the web. Being social is not only getting along with those that have the same interests, beliefs, culture, taste etc. But especially with those that are different. Plus the system of followers and being followed (leaders?) is such a narcissitic and self-centered system that the word social doesn't even fit the terms. Facebook is NOT a community. It doesn't help you out when your house burns down or when your children are ill. You cannot have a BBQ or a yard sale with them. If our youngsters learn facebook and ping to be a community I see a dark future for my kids. People are made to interact face to face in person. Not virtually.

Ping is fun, it's not going to replace people interacting anytime soon. Unless your living off the state.
  • Reply 38 of 64
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I don't know what "Apple is not a social company," is supposed to mean, but I do think they are not a web 2.0 company like Facebook or Google.

They should stop trying to be one (envy?). Actors want to be rock stars, rock stars want to be actors, ISPs want to be cable companies, computer companies want to be TV companies, hardware companies want to be software companies... the grass is always greener eh?
  • Reply 39 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sandman619 View Post

Most user libraries are rife with outdated I D 3 tags or poorly maintained info. So, it would be a mess for this info to be included really. Apple would have to parse this info, correct, complete & reformat it. Many people have used outdated apps to import music, have not had Internet access to complete album info when importing, or have not maintained their libraries metadata. Plus, this would provide the R I A A with another means to identify potential P 2 P downloads & begin a new round of persecution. As we all know from the music industry's reliable, credible & independent data, nearly 100% of music on iPods is stolen. Of course, zune's are not included as their owners are honest & law abiding & they realize the damage that P 2 P can create

Cheers !

I can totally imagine all the Apple Is Teh Evil 11!!11 hardcore complaints that would come out if Apple analyzed your entire music library. That is a bloody minefield.
  • Reply 40 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacShack View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I don't know what "Apple is not a social company," is supposed to mean, but I do think they are not a web 2.0 company like Facebook or Google.

They should stop trying to be one (envy?). Actors want to be rock stars, rock stars want to be actors, ISPs want to be cable companies, computer companies want to be TV companies, hardware companies want to be software companies... the grass is always greener eh?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MenLoveToys View Post

Wow. Quite some comments. Number one, "social" media is here to stay. It will evolve, as will the Internet. When it first came out, like mobile phones and texting, we were all so worried about it. I say the acceptance of new technology is driven by business in this modern era. Once a particular technology becomes accepted in business and by adults it then translates to "well we can allow kids to use it we just gotta make sure they do it right..." Just like sex, smoking, alcohol, mp3 players, mobile phones, computers, the web, and now, social media.

Secondly, Apple is not a social media company per se but they are adding social networking features to iTunes... It's that simple. Apple has certain goals and like many other companies they see a need to incorporate social networking tools... A lot of companies are incorporating twitter and facebook, Apple, being Apple, decided to roll their own.

Finally, people's responses to social media varies a lot. For some it is the new fancy fun thing. For others, like me, it was fun for a while but there were some misunderstandings with my now ex-girlfriend and there are a lot people that see "social" as the new escape, the new "high". Like everything that people engage in, not all is my cup of tea, but I respect the path that people decide to take. Yes, I prefer contact in person and real "friends" you can count on, not 3,000 strangers. But at the same time I like being able to group message select friends, post status updates from time to time, and do some networking through posting up some pictures, and keeping up to date with Trance music groups, particularly the less famous and local DJs.