new pbooks soon?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I noticed that on the apple store there is no longer a blue "new" bubble on the PowerBook quadrant. Seeing as the most recent "update" was fairly minor anyway, I'm betting that we may see something new in the next few months.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 42
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    [quote]Originally posted by karrotkanasta:

<strong>I noticed that on the apple store there is no longer a blue "new" bubble on the PowerBook quadrant. Seeing as the most recent "update" was fairly minor anyway, I'm betting that we may see something new in the next few months.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I Hope something comes out @ MWTKY so I can get an old PB for cheap!!!

(the referbished 400 G4 @ $1300 isn't too bad either...)
  • Reply 2 of 42
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    There should be a Powerbook update around MWTKY. I'd be surprised if there isn't.
  • Reply 3 of 42
    me too
  • Reply 4 of 42
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    The Powerbook's number is up. It'll be update in Tokyo. But with what? An Apollo? If so, what speeds?

Will the case get a tweaking or redesign for 2002? If it does, I don't know how they'd make it better, other than making less "slip-happy."
  • Reply 5 of 42
    count me in for one as soon as they are announced
  • Reply 6 of 42
    Let's not forget the heat problems associated with this machine -- I've been told more than once that the more-often-than-not sound of a well-oiled rev. B TiBook is all too similar to a commercial airliner taking off in the distance, or even a hairdryer under your palms. These things are just running too hot to be called "quiet," and this is the reason I'm holding onto my $3500 until Apple convinces me (with a new revision, hopefully using Apollo chips) that they've fixed this problem.

My friend's iBook is extremely quiet, and when the fan goes on (for one second per hour or less) it makes me realize how annoying it would be to own a computer that fits the stories of TiBooks of late -- that the stage 2 fan comes on shortly after startup and never shuts off until the machine is shut down.

Don't get me wrong -- I love the feel, attitude & vision of the TiBooks. But I've heard more than once that with these machines, function followed form, and I truly believe Apple knows this and will correct the problem shortly.

-- PEte

PS - Hey "Time," when's the new TiBook coming out? Hey, Mr. Smartypants, I'm talking to YOU!
  • Reply 7 of 42
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by CoolHandPete:

<strong>Let's not forget the heat problems associated with this machine -- I've been told more than once that the more-often-than-not sound of a well-oiled rev. B TiBook is all too similar to a commercial airliner taking off in the distance, or even a hairdryer under your palms. These things are just running too hot to be called "quiet," and this is the reason I'm holding onto my $3500 until Apple convinces me (with a new revision, hopefully using Apollo chips) that they've fixed this problem.

My friend's iBook is extremely quiet, and when the fan goes on (for one second per hour or less) it makes me realize how annoying it would be to own a computer that fits the stories of TiBooks of late -- that the stage 2 fan comes on shortly after startup and never shuts off until the machine is shut down.

Don't get me wrong -- I love the feel, attitude & vision of the TiBooks. But I've heard more than once that with these machines, function followed form, and I truly believe Apple knows this and will correct the problem shortly.

-- PEte

PS - Hey "Time," when's the new TiBook coming out? Hey, Mr. Smartypants, I'm talking to YOU!</strong><hr></blockquote>

I own one of the rev Bs and you are wrong.

majority of the time they are silent. when doing something like playing a movie or just working the system a little the first fan will come on, this is hardly loud and barely noticebale. but if you do any serious crunching or gaming then the 4 fans come on and they are loud.

depends on what you are doing but its no where near all the time
  • Reply 8 of 42
    The hard drive in my iBook is the loudest I have ever seen in a laptop. :/
  • Reply 9 of 42
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Notebook updates in the next 90 days are pretty much a no-brainer.

The 7455 is suitable for the PowerBook, which can get updated at MWTY.

The 7445 is perfect for the iBook, which might get updated later given that the '45 is only now sampling. So there'll probably be another bump and then an update at MWNY or thereabouts, depending on how quickly the chip gets approved and sent to production.
  • Reply 10 of 42
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    [quote]Originally posted by Amorph:

<strong>The 7455 is suitable for the PowerBook, which can get updated at MWTY.</strong><hr></blockquote>

The 7455 is pin-compatible with the PowerMac's 7451, and the 7445 is pin-compatible with the current PowerBook's 7441. So I'd expect the 800Mhz 7445 to go in the PowerBook, not the 7455.

I really think they'll put the Sahara in the iBook soon and keep it there for the next year - it has all the advanced tech and given its great performance, cool temp, small size, and (probably) cheap cost, it's the perfect chip for the iBook, even if it doesn't have Altivec. YMMV.

[ 01-29-2002: Message edited by: BRussell ]</p>
  • Reply 11 of 42
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    [quote]Originally posted by BRussell:

<strong>

The 7455 is pin-compatible with the PowerMac's 7451, and the 7445 is pin-compatible with the current PowerBook's 7441. So I'd expect the 800Mhz 7445 to go in the PowerBook, not the 7451.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Has it been verified that the PB uses a 7441? I've heard it both ways. Any courageous TiPB owners care to comment?

[quote]<strong>I really think they'll put the Sahara in the iBook soon and keep it there for the next year - it has all the advanced tech and given its great performance, cooll temp, small size, and (probably) cheap cost, it's the perfect chip for the iBook, even if it doesn't have Altivec. YMMV.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I'd personally prefer the Sahara G3, just because it runs so cool and I'd like the iBook to have real all-day battery life, but I see Apple going all G4 now that they finally have a sane performance spread to work with. The 7445 is fairly parsimonious with the power consumption, so it would work. It's more important for Apple to get OS X's power management abilities up to par with OS 9's.
  • Reply 12 of 42
    Apple will probably go with 733/867
  • Reply 13 of 42
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by corvette:

<strong>The hard drive in my iBook is the loudest I have ever seen in a laptop. :/</strong><hr></blockquote>

The hard drive in my iBook is pretty loud too.
  • Reply 14 of 42
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    I think the hard drive sounds loud because there is no fan running.
  • Reply 15 of 42
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    I'm sure it's probably a pipe dream, but wouldn't it be sweet if they came out with PB's at MWTK at 800/933?

mmmmmmm, tasty.
  • Reply 16 of 42
    pookjppookjp Posts: 280member
    It's all about the screen resolution, people! That's the TiBooks primary weakness, IMO.

- Pook
  • Reply 17 of 42
    ybotybot Posts: 329member
    The fan in my Rev. B TiBook is on I'd say 10-40% of the time I use it. And about 50% of the time that it IS on it's on stage 2, airplane jet engine mode and is ready for takeoff. Oh, there we go, it just went on--again. Ugh. Quite annoying.
  • Reply 18 of 42
    My Ti 500's fan runs all the time.

That could be because I'm running RC5 constantly for Team Macnn.
  • Reply 19 of 42
    [quote]Originally posted by corvette:

<strong>Apple will probably go with 733/867</strong><hr></blockquote>

733 and 800 as 800 is the current maximum and these are the speeds the 7455 chip is currently sampling at.
  • Reply 20 of 42
    According to Moto the 7445 is available at 600, 733, and 800.

<a href="http://e-www.motorola.com/webapp/sps/site/taxonomy.jsp?nodeId=03M943030450467M98653"; target="_blank">http://e-www.motorola.com/webapp/sps/site/taxonomy.jsp?nodeId=03M943030450467M98653</a>;

So I predict 600, 733 and 800 Pbooks.

Radical, eh?

SdA, aka SdC