Nokia CEO to step down as company still struggles to combat iPhone

Comments

• Reply 21 of 203
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

I am happy to call it a failure now.

You can check back in a year and take me to task if I am wrong.

C.

I am ... to call the iPhone 5 a failure now. Check back in a year.
  • Reply 22 of 203
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    I'm not the only one not impressed, though our resident business expert Newtron seems to be.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/res...all-2010-09-10
  • Reply 23 of 203
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Really? You seem to know nothing of business at all, so I don't see how anything you say is relevant.

I know that someone who has never sat on a board of directors is totally unqualified to help choose a CEO for a huge multinational megacorporation.

You seem to think you are nevertheless qualified to do so.

That's OK - we can disagree on this one.
  • Reply 24 of 203
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bullhead View Post

Exactly, why pay the Microsoft tax when a company can use Android for free and return _all_ their profits to their shareholders? .

One reason only: To maximize total profits. All of a small amount is often worse than a portion of a large amount. It ain't the proportion that matters; it is the gross amount.
  • Reply 25 of 203
    Quote:

I'm not the only one not impressed, though our resident business expert Newtron seems to be.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/res...all-2010-09-10

One need not be a business expert to know that you are totally unqualified to sit on Nokia's board of directors.
  • Reply 26 of 203
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

Tell you what: If and when you sit on the board of a multi-billion dollar company that sells more product in their category than any other company in the entire world, THEN you will get to choose a new CEO.

Until then, I think I will trust the judgment of those who actually have some credibility in the industry, OK?

Your arguments aren't any better than when you were TeckStud.
  • Reply 27 of 203
    Ladies and Gentleman, and still the Heavy Weight Champion of the WOOOORLDD!!!

STEVE JOBS!!!!!!!

With a 4th round KO, right in the kisser, this contender had no chance! The Champ's right hook of the iPhone 4 delivered the crushing blow that toppled the leading contender Nokia CEO from the top spot!!!!
  • Reply 28 of 203
    Quote:

We're going to see Android's growth slow down dramatically shortly. The reason why it was measured as so extreme was because it was measured from the first bad phone which was just out on T-Mobile. Measuring sales growth when starting with an unsuccessful phone on the smallest carrier is easy once you're on all carriers with a couple dozen much better phones.

But once that happens, growth levels out. Right now, Android in the US is slightly higher than 30%. Unless people really think that Android will replace sales for iPhones, Blackberries, and others altogether, they simply can't have another year of 880% growth. That was always misleading. Assuming that Apple doesn't grow marketshare, and that RIM doesn't lose too much more, and smartphone growth continues to be at the 35% level, Android can only grow by about double the next year, and that's being overly optimistic. There's just nowhere to go in the Us market, though all of them can grow a lot out of the country as they expand into new markets.

And then what happens if the iPhone lands in Verizon where most of Androids growth has been coming from?

WebOS would be the least of their worries.

Yeah everyone looks at the 880% and not the numbers behind it. Going from 1 to 880 is 880% growth is that impressive. It is not like they grew form 1M to 880M in one year.

Apple put out an interesting number last week which was 275K per day of iOS activations, this is more then iphone, they are not showing a % but the actually number this is impressive consider Android and WebOS and other can not show the same numbers.

Again these companies are not competing against Iphone they are now competing against iOS, Apple change the game on the industry and they all miss that Apple is now playing in a new sand box which is much larger.

The same thing happen to apple back in the late 80's and early 90's, apple thought they were competing again dell, hp and compaq when in fact they were really competing again MS and Intel.
  • Reply 29 of 203
    Well, the biggest error competitors are doing is to try making a phone that "competes with the iPhone".

All other mobile/smartphone companies should put more effort into doing something special, instead of trying to copy existing tech and adding some features.
  • Reply 30 of 203
    Quote:

Good idea. Replace the CEO of a phone company that is slipping severely, with one from a company whose phones have been failing, and call it a good deal.

well said
  • Reply 31 of 203
    Quote:

I know that someone who has never sat on a board of directors is totally unqualified to help choose a CEO for a huge multinational megacorporation.

You seem to think you are nevertheless qualified to do so.

That's OK - we can disagree on this one.

What you don't know is that people sitting on those boards aren't always any more qualified. You also don't understand that companies, large and small, look for the same attributes. So while my companies never had more than 85 employees each, one was a public company, and we had to understand our markets just as well as Nokia has to look at theirs in a bigger market.

You can continue to make silly remarks about this, but it doesn't change the fact that this was not a great move, and that we're already seeing people whose business it is to follow that industry criticizing this selectio.
  • Reply 32 of 203
    Quote:

One need not be a business expert to know that you are totally unqualified to sit on Nokia's board of directors.

I never said I was qualified to sit on their BOD, though, I could be, after seeing all the bad decisions they've made in the past three years.
  • Reply 33 of 203
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:

Good idea. Replace the CEO of a phone company that is slipping severely, with one from a company whose phones have been failing, and call it a good deal.

Agreed, shame they didn't hire SB though. No wait I'd rather he stayed and destroyed MS.

Please people add Newtron and Blackintosh along with his TeckStud handleto your ignore lists!
  • Reply 34 of 203
    Quote:

Uh Oh.

Dell. Nokia. RIM.

Is a 20% marketshare for the iPhone an unattainable goal now?

1) Whose goal was it?

2) You can't eat market share, you eat profit/cash flow.
  • Reply 35 of 203
    Quote:

Tell you what: If and when you sit on the board of a multi-billion dollar company that sells more product in their category than any other company in the entire world, THEN you will get to choose a new CEO.

Until then, I think I will trust the judgment of those who actually have some credibility in the industry, OK?

Put your money where your mouth is, and buy NOK, OK?
  • Reply 36 of 203
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

Apple put out an interesting number last week which was 275K per day of iOS activations, this is more then iphone, they are not showing a % but the actually number this is impressive consider Android and WebOS and other can not show the same numbers.

200,000 Android Devices Activated Daily Says Eric Schmidt

http://nexus404.com/Blog/2010/09/07/...tions-per-day/
  • Reply 37 of 203
    Quote:

What you don't know is that people sitting on those boards aren't always any more qualified.

What I know is what I have said. You are not qualified to sit on the BOD of any company like Nokia.

You can change the subject to anything else you desire, but all of it is beside the point.
  • Reply 38 of 203
    Quote:

I never said I was qualified to sit on their BOD,

Correct. It was a necessary premise which went unstated.
  • Reply 39 of 203
    Quote:

200,000 Android Devices Activated Daily Says Eric Schmidt

http://nexus404.com/Blog/2010/09/07/...tions-per-day/

That includes upgrades, apple claim is theirs are new activations only.

Stand corrected, google claim no upgrades, however, they do not have complete control over this, Motorola sends out their own releases and updates without Googles involvement, I am not sure how they determine this.
  • Reply 40 of 203
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Put your money where your mouth is, and buy NOK, OK?

Where my mouth is at is calling out people who think they are more qualified than the members of the BOD of a multi-billion dollar megacorporation which sells more product than anybody else in their industry.

Buying Nokia will not constitute putting my money where my mouth is, unless Nokia puts these guys on their board of directors. In such an event, I will be happy to short Nokia immediately.