Apple announces iPhone 4 Case Program will conclude on Sept. 30

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mike Fix View Post

I'm still waiting for a hardware fix. I'll get an iPhone 4 at that time.

Don't hold your breath while waiting.
  • Reply 42 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post

I missed the deadline. Either way, I didn't experience any problem with the antenna.

Deadline is 09/30/10
  • Reply 43 of 56
    I would love to see another press conference held where Jobs strolls out and says,

"This will fix the f'ing antenna problem- the iPhone- now on Verizon!"

• Reply 44 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

Deadline is 09/30/10

Not for everyone, http://www.apple.com/iphone/case-program/

I can't get a bumper either, I was waiting for more colors by the 30th.
  • Reply 45 of 56
    30 days with no restocking fee is the normal returns policy. at least in the US. has been since at least the release of the 3g in 2008

1. ATT allows 30 days with no ETF, Apple agreed to match that

2. Since the Apple employees insist on opening the box and plugging in the phone to make sure it works (otherwise you would have no working phone until you got home) you can't have aclosed box return. thus they waive the restock fee.

I believe the change was that they would let you return the phone, no restock fee, no matter how long you had have it. Don't know about the ETF issue. perhaps it was also waived during this period it it was an iphone 4 on the line.
  • Reply 46 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

It's a great phone and I love it, but all that guff about how it's made with "special steel" and super-hard glass is ... well, guff.

Maybe the "special" has nothing to do with hardness?

Quote:

“When Apple’s iPhone4 was nearing production, Foxconn and Apple discovered that the metal frame was so specialized that it could be made only by an expensive, low-volume machine usually reserved for prototypes. Apple’s designers wouldn’t budge on their specs, so Gou ordered more than 1,000 of the $20,000 machines from Tokyo-based Fanuc. Most companies have just one.

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine...5058423479.htm
  • Reply 47 of 56
    I've had my iPhone 4 for 2 weeks and I sadly have to say that I have bad reception issues, holding it normally my 5 bars drop to zero bars, i have to hold it ackwardly for a while for the bars to get back to 5... It might sound childish but this is absolutely not normal. It sometimes gets to my nerves.

I have yet to receive the free case. For now, horizontally placing 4 fingers along the back of my iphone has to suffice.
  • Reply 48 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Which will then be followed by a class action to get every iPhone 4 that replaced with new ones as that would be Apple admitting that the 12 million(?) they?ve sold worldwide are defective. Great idea, DaHarder¡

So right now I can buy an iPhone 4 play with it for 3 weeks decide whether or not I like it and if I don't get every penny back sept 30th and my AT&T contract goes back to being eligible? Contract ended last month. Thx.
  • Reply 49 of 56
    It seems to me that the risk of a class action law suit prevents Apple from doing what is best: a technological fix. iPhone 4's antenna seems even better than most others (as most others will get into trouble with a hand in proximity, Apple's needs an actual physical short cut to get into trouble).

The obvious fix is to make the outside of the rim non-conductive, e.g. by oxidizing the stainless steel rim. Or some sort of non-conductive layer to be added to the phone. The fix seems pretty simple (except for the actual materials and production problems of course).

So, even while they will publicly state that it is not really a problem, they still might silently change the hardware such that a shorting of one antenna with the other becomes impossible. Still, is the claim culture going to prevent the fix of this issue that seemingly hinders only a small minority? If so, it would be a nice example of the claim culture killing innovation/progress.
  • Reply 50 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

30 days with no restocking fee is the normal returns policy. at least in the US. has been since at least the release of the 3g in 2008

1. ATT allows 30 days with no ETF, Apple agreed to match that

2. Since the Apple employees insist on opening the box and plugging in the phone to make sure it works (otherwise you would have no working phone until you got home) you can't have aclosed box return. thus they waive the restock fee.

I believe the change was that they would let you return the phone, no restock fee, no matter how long you had have it. Don't know about the ETF issue. perhaps it was also waived during this period it it was an iphone 4 on the line.

No, I tried to exchange my iP4's for iP3Gs' after 30 days and was refused. The mistake I made was to work with Apple and AT&T to resolve the dropped call problems. By time I had exchanged one iP4 for a new one, tried a new SIMM, wait for software update, etc., the 30 days had passed.
  • Reply 51 of 56
    Quote:

Conidering Apple's statement this HW "change" will come with the iPhone 5, but I wouldn't expect the antenna to no longer be the frame in the next iPhone.

I also expect other vendors to start using the same basic design the same way the have all move to multi-touchscreen snartphones after pooh-poohing the original iPhone.

I have never seen a statement from Apple on a HW "change", so I would appreciate a link, and your guess is as good as mine on whether the antenna will be outside the frame or not. My guess is a polymer coating, which I have on good authority (Bayer MaterialSciences eg. Urethane) could probably solve the problem. Anyhow, every (that is, about 10-15 iP4's), I've been able to handle have exhibited the "problem" - easily, and every time, in multiple areas of the SF Peninsula, not just in outlying so-called "poor coverage" areas. I reluctantly turned mine back in in July, and will only get another one when someone can test the iP4's sold after Sep 30th, and can tell that a hardware fix has been done to substantially mitigate the issue.

After a period of time, if nothing seems to have changed, I might just wait a bit longer - I'm just out of contract with ATT, so I'm in no great hurry to go through all the nonsense again, and am happy enough with my 3GS, which never exhibits the "problem" that all good fanbois seem to think is non-existant. Oh yeah, not interested in the bumper, thankyewverymuch.

I've been told from a friend of mine who works in the IT department for Genentech, who does tech support within Genentech for those using iP4's, that they are exhibiting around 20% of users who are complaining about the antenna issue (could also be partly because of the proximity issue, of course). Regardless, in spite of what Apple says, this is a high number, since many have their phones encased in bumpers, so this number of "problems" is actually higher, which conveniently works in Apple's favor in keeping the "problem" to a "small minority" (with everyone using a free bumper, the percentage continues to drop, masking the underlying hardware problem. (don't you just LOVE statistics and stupid surveys?). Anyhow, these folks are Apple fans who just happened to find the same issue as a lot of us, and are looking for relief.

It is truly a fantastic phone, but doesn't work for me in my circumstances; I just wish they would fix the damn thing, and be done with it - no need to advertise it, just do it, ferchrissakes!
  • Reply 52 of 56
    Have two iphones in my house, both have cases, but even without, havent had issues with reception. My screen appears to be getting marked really really easily. At least compared to my old ipod touch. little tiny marks but cant get screen covers locally yet.
  • Reply 53 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

Have two iphones in my house, both have cases, but even without, havent had issues with reception. My screen appears to be getting marked really really easily. At least compared to my old ipod touch. little tiny marks but cant get screen covers locally yet.

Get PowerSupport screen protectors as soon as possible. You may get online delivery from the US.
  • Reply 54 of 56
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:

A hardware fix? What for? The hardware isn't broken and it's scientific fact that the iPhone 4 has better reception than it's predecessor.
  • Reply 55 of 56
    Quote:

My only issue with the iPhone 4 was the proximity sensor, resolved in iOS 4.1. I had purchased a Bumpe before the give away was announced. On these boards I was informed that I shouldn?t be allowed to protect my phone from falls with a Bumper because I didn?t have an issue with attenuation. Gotta love the asshat logic of some posters.

I picked one up under the iPhone 4 Case Program as well. I decided on the Griffin Reveal Etch iPhone 4 - Black/Black Graphite and I love it. Very minimalist, but with a useful purpose and a little style to boot.

And I'm with you on this one. If I have to listen to asshat logic about about supposed design flaws, then I am most surely going to get a free case under a program that I qualify for, regardless if I experienced said reception issues or not. Asshat logic be damned!
  • Reply 56 of 56
    Quote:

So I guess you won't be getting an iPhone 4 at all.

Then, of course, you won't buy an iPhone 5. Well, because, you know, it's just too risky.

So then you will wait for the iPhone 6....

And so on, and so on, and so on................