Target rumored to sell Apple's iPad in stores starting Oct. 3

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
New evidence suggests that Target's U.S. stores may start offering the iPad on October 3, expanding the retail presence of Apple's touchscreen tablet.



A source with the retailer provided evidence to Engadget that Target is set to launch an unnamed product on Oct 3. The product will be available at six price points -- the same prices of the iPad, ranging from $499 for the 16GB Wi-Fi-only model, to $829 for the 64GB model with 3G.



In addition, pictures from a Target PDA show that the new device set to go on sale in October will be located in the "Digital Audio" department. That's the same department that sells Apple's line of iPods, as well as the Amazon Kindle e-reader.



"Smoking gun?" author Donald Melanson wrote. "Not exactly, but it's certainly enough to get us to keep our eye on this one."



Earlier this year, before the iPad launched, Apple executives indicated that the iPad would only be available at a limited number of locations with assisted sales, including premium resellers and electronics retailer Best Buy. Apple's chief operating officer, Tim Cook, said that brick-and-mortar availability of the iPad would expand "over time."



Earlier this year, Walmart, the largest retailer in the U.S., also indicated it hopes to sell the iPad by the end of 2010.







But expansion of the iPad to new retail locations did not occur initially, as strong sales left stores with limited inventory. However, recently, iPad shipping times on Apple's website improved to 24 hours, suggesting that production problems that contributed to limited availability have been resolved.
«13

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 59
    I'll stick with Walmart, thanks.
  • Reply 2 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    Earlier this year, Walmart, the largest retailer in the U.S., also indicated it hopes to sell the iPad by the end of 2010.






    Now that Apple is targeting the great unwashed masses, Wal*Mart and Target make a lot of sense for its products.
  • Reply 3 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    However, recently, iPad shipping times on Apple's website improved to 24 hours, suggesting that production problems that contributed to limited availability have been resolved.



    ...or that sales have dropped off a cliff!



    .



    JK JK JK
  • Reply 4 of 59
    That's where a watered down Mac belongs. In the bargain basement.
  • Reply 5 of 59
    Wonder if this squashes the rumor that Apple will have camera- quipped ipads before the holidays? It seems there is no way target gets a gen 1 device in Oct with the gen 2 device rumored in Nov.
  • Reply 6 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gsteeno View Post


    Wonder if this squashes the rumor that Apple will have camera- quipped ipads before the holidays? It seems there is no way target gets a gen 1 device in Oct with the gen 2 device rumored in Nov.



    How the heck was that a "rumor", anyway? What would many anyone think that Apple would possibly release a new one?



    April 2011.



    One update a year.



    JUST like the other mobile crap they sell.
  • Reply 7 of 59
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


    How the heck was that a "rumor", anyway? What would many anyone think that Apple would possibly release a new one?



    April 2011.



    One update a year.



    JUST like the other mobile crap they sell.



    Once a year is waay too long for an update... Better happen in November with iOS 4.0.
  • Reply 8 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gsteeno View Post


    Wonder if this squashes the rumor that Apple will have camera- quipped ipads before the holidays? It seems there is no way target gets a gen 1 device in Oct with the gen 2 device rumored in Nov.



    Absolutely. As far as I'm concerned there was a snowball's chance in hell that Apple was going to release a revised version of the Ipad, or a 7" model before the holidays. Same goes with early Q1, 2011. The suggestion alone is ridiculous when time and time again we see Apple following through with the One-model-a-year refresh.



    As for Ipad at Target, why not? Makes perfect sense. I'm sure those invested in Apple stock are plenty happy with this news.
  • Reply 9 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post


    ...or that sales have dropped off a cliff!



    .



    JK JK JK



    You will know when sales drop off a cliff. Simply notice when Pages, Numbers, and Keynote all drop from the top 10. That will mean that the rate of new iPad purchases has slowed. Give it some thought and you'll figure out my assertion fairly quickly
  • Reply 10 of 59
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brometheus View Post


    You will know when sales drop off a cliff. Simply notice when Pages, Numbers, and Keynote all drop from the top 10. That will mean that the rate of new iPad purchases has slowed. Give it some thought and you'll figure out my assertion fairly quickly





    Provided those 10 tops lists aren't forged...
  • Reply 11 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


    JUST like the other mobile crap they sell.



    What's the air like, up in that geo-stationary tower?
  • Reply 12 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post


    Provided those 10 tops lists aren't forged...



    Are you suggesting that Apple would forge the top ten list by artificially increasing the rating of their own products. That's plain blasphemy - burn him he's a witch.
  • Reply 13 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post


    That's where a watered down Mac belongs. In the bargain basement.



    Very snobbish of you.
  • Reply 14 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post


    That's where a watered down Mac belongs. In the bargain basement.



    Mods, please ban this troll. Seriously, they've never contributed anything intelligent or meaningful to any of these discussions.
  • Reply 15 of 59
    I suspect if you plan on giving one of these for Christmas, you should look to order it now. I can see this being the killer gift this year.
  • Reply 16 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post


    I suspect if you plan on giving one of these for Christmas, you should look to order it now. I can see this being the killer gift this year.



    Good call. That's what I would recommend as well (trolls notwithstanding).
  • Reply 17 of 59
    MacProMacPro Posts: 18,215member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post


    I suspect if you plan on giving one of these for Christmas, you should look to order it now. I can see this being the killer gift this year.



    Agreed, I can foresee a shortage for Santa's sac. I better tip off the wife now as I want a new one. I had to return the one I had to a client when I finished his project. I kind of miss it.
  • Reply 18 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil;


    How the heck was that a "rumor", anyway? What would many anyone think that Apple would possibly release a new one?



    April 2011.



    One update a year.



    JUST like the other mobile crap they sell.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh;


    That's where a watered down Mac belongs. In the bargain basement.



    I smell the vitriol and maybe in another life I might synpathise... it really must be hard work trolling all the time. I hope you all are getting paid for it.
  • Reply 19 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slang4Art View Post


    Mods, please ban this troll. Seriously, they've never contributed anything intelligent or meaningful to any of these discussions.



    Negative things are said here all the time, they just don't know how to frame their statements in at least a semi-coherent fashion.
  • Reply 20 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave K.;


    Provided those 10 tops lists aren't forged...



    Irrelevant. The iPhone4 and iPad is still heavily anticipated outside the luxurious bubble of the 10 or so countries that have been launched. Remember, 24hours simply means supply-demand balance in the countries that have launched, but by the end of the year with the holiday season, Apple simply has to produce 3 million iPads and 4 million iPhone4 a month to be able to launch iPhone4 and iPad in over 70 countries. End of story. In the US Apple could sell all the iOS devices in Starbucks for WTF it's worth... But it is still not as relevant as the global reality. Remember, even China and India has no sign of official launches of iPhone4 and iPad... Let alone much of Asia, Latin America, Scandinavia...
Sign In or Register to comment.