Nokia smartphone chief to depart as executive shakeup continues

Comments

• Reply 21 of 84
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

You guys do not understand how backroom deal work. Even though the new CEO was only at MS a short period of time this could be MS foot in the doors since no other company except HTC has agreed to work with MS going forward. What make you think MS would make them pay licensing fees, they may give it to them to get market penetration, hell they are paying develop to make programs for Zune and the Mobile 7 software.

I can also tell you I worked for a company who use MS product like many other companies for desktops and enterprise systems and we also sold products which offered MS product. MS struck a deal in the desktop and enterprise space so we would offer their products in our product. When we made the decision to move away from MS in our product they whacked us on the corporate side as payback for going away from them. This is how MS does business. Even if their were fees you would pay for them not the company since the company would just pass them along to the consumer.

So far, Dell, HTC, LG and Samsung have committed to making WP7 phones. There are others, whose names elude me at the moment.
  • Reply 22 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

So far, Dell, HTC, LG and Samsung have committed to making WP7 phones. There are others, whose names elude me at the moment.

Apparently their names elude Microsoft too.

C.
  • Reply 23 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

You got that right!

I do hope they have enough lifeboats this time.

C.

Excellent comment!
  • Reply 24 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

Apparently their names elude Microsoft too.

C.

Not really that funny.
  • Reply 25 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

No really, if they were cleaning house, he would no longer be working there.

Correct!
  • Reply 26 of 84
    Wasn't there another shakeup earlier this year in Nokia? I recall reading the article here
  • Reply 27 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cy_starkman View Post

Wasn't there another shakeup earlier this year in Nokia? I recall reading the article here

Yeah - It had a funny name. I think it was Finnish phrase which translated as "Reorganizing the deck chairs"

C.
  • Reply 28 of 84
    Quote:

Let get this right, those companies make Hardware and will load any one's software on their product they like.

Dell is a non player, they are only selling in South America, why all the US carries told them to get lost.

Next, in all cases except Apple, the caries dictate which phones they will seen on their networks and support (yes you can put any GSM SIM card enable phone on any carries but they they do not support it) and they also dictate which software is allow. This why not every android phone does not have the same version because each service provide tells the phone manufacturers what they will load on their phone.

Apple is the only cell phone company in the world who dictated exactly what the phone will do and every phone in the world no matter who the provider is can update their phone at the same time. Apple change the cell phone industry in this regard.

I am beating MS is going to make the same attempt with Nokia here, Nokia has a very large presents world wide expect in the US, but MS use to have a good relationship with the US providers so they may leverage this to get Nokia back in to the US markets.

I am not saying they will be successful, so do not read that in to my prediction, since again they all fail to understand why apple business model works and all the other one are failing at this time.
  • Reply 29 of 84
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:

They might not have anyone to replace him with now.

You claimed that you have owned businesses before, do you really think a corporation would sack a exec and leave them working in their position? No they wouldn't.

Let's use an example, is Papermaster serving out his term at Apple?
  • Reply 30 of 84
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

You claimed that you have owned businesses before, do you really think a corporation would sack a exec and leave them working in their position? No they wouldn't.

Let's use an example, is Papermaster serving out his term at Apple?

I guess you missed this:

Quote:

Anssi Vanjoki, head of the mobile solutions unit at Nokia, announced Monday that he will resign from the company. Vanjoki will remain in his current position for the time being, and has a six-month notice period.

It is not as simple as walking out whenever you want.
  • Reply 31 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

I guess you missed this:

No I read that, I take that to mean he is leaving of his own choice, and he isn't going to work for a competitor.

Quote:

It is not as simple as walking out whenever you want.

Yes it is, in the UK there is a term for it, Garden Leave, other countries have a similar term. If he was sacked he would no longer be working there, end of story.
  • Reply 32 of 84
    Quote:

No I read that, I take that to mean he is leaving of his own choice, and he isn't going to work for a competitor.

In many cases employees are asked to resign or hinted that if they don't resign they will be fired. The majority choose to resign. Given the timing and the CEO firing I would say he was asked to resign.

Quote:

Yes it is, in the UK there is a term for it, Garden Leave, other countries have a similar term. If he was sacked he would no longer be working there, end of story.

He doesn't work in the UK and while you are in Finland maybe you can tell us about laws in Finland not in the UK.

PS: From Wikipedia, Garden Leave is not the employee choice. It is when the employee is "instructed to stay away from work during their notice period". So it is still not walking out whenever you want.
  • Reply 33 of 84
    Quote:

In many cases employees are asked to resign or hinted that if they don't resign they will be fired. The majority choose to resign. Given the timing and the CEO firing I would say he was asked to resign.

In either case he would no longer be working there, if he was asked to leave, and he is still working there then Nokia are idiots, he would be at home on full pay for the rest of his term.

Quote:

He doesn't work in the UK and while you are in Finland maybe you can tell us about laws in Finland not in the UK.

I said there is a term for it, do you have a problem with reading?

Quote:

PS: From Wikipedia, Garden Leave is not the employee choice. It is when the employee is "instructed to stay away from work during their notice period". So it is still not walking out whenever you want.

If he resigned and was going to a competitor, or had "issues" with the company, then the Company could also invoke this, or something similar. Hence the "not the employee choice" bit, it is not restricted to be sacked.
  • Reply 34 of 84
    Quote:

In either case he would no longer be working there, if he was asked to leave, and he is still working there then Nokia are idiots, he would be at home on full pay for the rest of his term.

Haven't you heard about handover?!

Quote:

I said there is a term for it, do you have a problem with reading?

I didn't ask you about a term. I said you can't just walk out whenever you want. You still wrong because Garden Leave is not walking out whenever you want. You seem to have problem comprehending what you read.
  • Reply 35 of 84
    Quote:

Haven't you heard about handover?!

Yes I have, but if he has been forced to leave then he is a risk to the company, that is a bigger issue than a "handover".

Quote:

I didn't ask you about a term. I said you can't just walk out whenever you want. You still wrong because Garden Leave is not walking out whenever you want. You seem to have problem comprehending what you read.

You can actually, I have done it in the past, got paid out my full term as well. Circumstances dictate what happens, and as you and I don't know the circumstances neither of us can say what has happened.

I have no issue comprehending what I read, I didn't look up the term from wikipedia like you, as I was aware of the term, and have seen it been used on others previously. I stated the term in a situation, if you have issues understanding it, that is not my problem.

But from previous experience, I know when an exec has left, and the leaving is due to conflict with the company (either side initiated) then they will leave that day, not at the end of their term.
  • Reply 36 of 84
    Quote:

Prediction, all the position will be filled with people who are somehow related to Microsoft and then in the next 12 to 18 months you will see all their smart phones having Microsoft Mobile 7 on them.

Yes that or they will switch to Android and become the largest Android distributor. Reduce OS development costs. Avoid OS licensing costs. Android's market share would skyrocket. Google would get a nice boost in profits. Schmidt might get more arrogant lol.
  • Reply 37 of 84
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:

It's more like $7 per license. It's been $15 for Windows XP Starter for netbooks.

What's the source for that? The general consensus is that the fee is $15. It was certainly $15 for Windows Mobile 6.5.
  • Reply 38 of 84
    @appdev

<you will see all their smart phones having Microsoft Mobile 7 on them.>

and then oracle will charge out of the woods and give google and android a kneecapping.
  • Reply 39 of 84
    Quote:

Let get this right, those companies make Hardware and will load any one's software on their product they like.

Dell is a non player, they are only selling in South America, why all the US carries told them to get lost.

Next, in all cases except Apple, the caries dictate which phones they will seen on their networks and support (yes you can put any GSM SIM card enable phone on any carries but they they do not support it) and they also dictate which software is allow. This why not every android phone does not have the same version because each service provide tells the phone manufacturers what they will load on their phone.

Apple is the only cell phone company in the world who dictated exactly what the phone will do and every phone in the world no matter who the provider is can update their phone at the same time. Apple change the cell phone industry in this regard.

I am beating MS is going to make the same attempt with Nokia here, Nokia has a very large presents world wide expect in the US, but MS use to have a good relationship with the US providers so they may leverage this to get Nokia back in to the US markets.

I am not saying they will be successful, so do not read that in to my prediction, since again they all fail to understand why apple business model works and all the other one are failing at this time.

Maybe you should edit this again? It's confusing. I think I know what you're saying, but I'm not sure.
  • Reply 40 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Not going to happen with Microsoft's current licensing scheme. Nokia is selling around 100 million smartphones a year and that number is increasing at 40%+ YoY. At $15 per license, using Windows Phone 7 would cost Nokia at least $1.5 billion a year.

I'd wager that $1.5 billion is significantly above what Symbian and MeeGo cost to produce.

Huh?! The total global sales of smartphones is in the range of 50 million currently.

Where do you get your estimate of 100 million? I'd wager that's wide off the mark.