Android users quicker than iPhone users in upgrading to new OS versions - report

Comments

• Reply 101 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I?m curious how that could work for something so inherently different than the Android OS model, and how that would benefit Apple whose success with the iPod and iPhone is due to a foundation of easily connecting and syncing these devices via iTunes.

I would question any success of the iPhone relating to iTunes. For the iPod it was a big thing, but now it's this pointless app thats a pain to use. Apps can be downloaded direct to your phone and so can music. The only time I ever sync is when I want to get music I bought on the phone onto my iPod or to get a software update, both of which I rather not have to connect to iTunes to do.

The fact iPhone users don't upgrade would probably be just down to users never syncing there phone and therefore not knowing about the update.
  • Reply 102 of 129
    Quote:

I’m not sure how to answer your question as stated.

Q: Why “should” I drive on the right side of the road in most countries and on the left in others

A: Because those that control the system designed it that way.

Q: Did they have a good reason at the time?

A: Probably.

Q: Does that reasoning still hold true now?

A: Maybe.

Q: Does it make sense to tell the few countries that drive on the left to drive on the right because that’s the way others do it?

A: Absolutely not.

The bottom line is it’s Apple’s business model and they chose it. The origins of this tethering to update are clear and simple, and while the device has changed in ways that make it possible to sync OTA there are plenty of other hurdles that have cropped up along with this success. At 80% adoption rate for the 3GS in 2 months, which is far greater than the number of Android phones that can even get the latest update, iPhone users are still collectively ahead of the curve.

Again, I’d like to see this happen, just as I stated I’d like to see fractioned x.x1 updates that don’t require the entire OS to be downloaded, but I also don’t believe for a second that Android and iOS are in the same boat when it comes to the way the OSes are distributed.

Apple's method of tethering to PC/Mac has many purposes with regards to verifying updates, etc.

In the next few years they might implement OTA updates, but firstly they have to move to a philosophy of using iPhone and iPad as much as possible without having to tether to a computer. I'm sure Apple is planning it, it may take several months or a few years.
  • Reply 103 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by timgriff84 View Post

I would question any success of the iPhone relating to iTunes. For the iPod it was a big thing, but now it's this pointless app thats a pain to use. Apps can be downloaded direct to your phone and so can music. The only time I ever sync is when I want to get music I bought on the phone onto my iPod or to get a software update, both of which I rather not have to connect to iTunes to do.

The fact iPhone users don't upgrade would probably be just down to users never syncing there phone and therefore not knowing about the update.

the whole model of tying your device to a machine with a desktop app is stone age. i know, i know apple is selling like mad but that doesn't change that the notions are old.

why not move to all web based and tie it to your mobileme account? apple has held the lead with ios but with this latest apple tv i am afraid they may get leapfrogged if they don't ramp up the cloud functionality soon. it is a fun, exciting time though since the future is really wide open!
  • Reply 104 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

In the meantime let's not watch while Newtron and DaHarder get their rocks off on OTA updates.

This nasty shit has got to stop. Are you obsessed?

Set me to ignore, fer chrissakes.
  • Reply 105 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

So the headline is false.

Indeed it is.
  • Reply 106 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

Very valid points. I like it when people here look closely at data and correctly identify the reality it portrays.

Time to visit your own inferences then...?
  • Reply 107 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

This nasty shit has got to stop. Are you obsessed?

Set me to ignore, fer chrissakes.

Why don't *you* set me to ignore. Now you know how it feels for most of us here having to deal with trolls.

For the record, my actions are all with regard to the confines of this forum. Nothing personal.

Regarding the statement you quoted me on, I actually edited that out not long after I made the reference to you and DaHarder, as I felt it was not appropriate.
  • Reply 108 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post

Well - you're simply missing out on a great OS - your loss (but needn't be)

(iPhone 3GS, iOS 4.1)

Thanks I got an iPhone 4, so I am a believer. However, I never upgrade my 3GS for the reasons stated in my previous post. It sounds like I should, now that 4.1 fixes many of the performance problems.
  • Reply 109 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Thanks I got an iPhone 4, so I am a believer. However, I never upgrade my 3GS for the reasons stated in my previous post. It sounds like I should, now that 4.1 fixes many of the performance problems.

The 3GS never had performance problems from the iOS 4 update.
  • Reply 110 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Why don't *you* set me to ignore. Now you know how it feels for most of us here having to deal with trolls.

For the record, my actions are all with regard to the confines of this forum. Nothing personal.

Regarding the statement you quoted me on, I actually edited that out not long after I made the reference to you and DaHarder, as I felt it was not appropriate.

The people who dish it out can usually never take it.
  • Reply 111 of 129
    Quote:

Those stats look to be from developer.android.com, which are legit stats and where I got my previous 4.5% for Froyo and 35% for 1.x stats from just a couple weeks ago. Zaim2 oddly chose not to offer a link or supporting text to explin his post, but I can attest to his overall accuracy.

To me, this shows a rapid adoption of new Android phones running v2.2, which is expected as I would think most of the Android phones being activated in the US are from newer models with Froyo pre-installed. Note that v1.x is still at 30% as of this post, and while Android 2.2 is on a huge rise it’s still at 28.7% and doesn’t seem likely to tackle those v1.x devices until they are stopped being used as I most of them simply aren’t going to get v2.2. I would hope that most running v2.1 will get v2.2 at some point, but there will surely be some stragglers in that bunch when v3.0 arrives.

We also need to ultimately realize that these automatic updates also indicates that about 72% of Android phones current on the market are NOT ABLE TO GET the latest version of Android. And the only way most of these Android users are going to get the latest version of Android is from buying a new Android phone. That is not the user experience I want.

Back to the original topic, OTA has plenty of pros but none of them seem realistic for a large company like Apple that will likely have 200,000,000 iOS devices being ready for iOS 5.0 come next summer. Even if we discount all the WiFi-only devices that is a lot of OTA updates, with the largest single collection by far on AT&T’s network. Now, they could build in a mechanism for manual OTA updates but that is about as likely as include Ogg codecs in QuickTime.

Now a small x.x.1 critical security update I’d love to see, even if it’s just an “In case of fire, break glass” situation. My only concern there would the potential for this service to be highjacked as accessing the root remotely from a server in and of itself is a security risk.

The graph is on a developers forum, and if you would have read further it is for all users. The reason its on the developers forum is so the devs know who they want to cater their app to and whether they want to make it compatible for all version or just certain ones.

And the OTA for my HTC EVO was pushed in a tiered way. They didn't push it to everyone at the exact same time. I believe it was over the course of 2 or 3 days in which they slowly pushed it. Why wouldn't the same system work for Apple? Push it to 10 million people every few hours over the course of a couple days. I don't see any problem with that. And they always left the option for the impatient that if you didn't want to wait for the pushed OTA, you can always initiate it yourself.
  • Reply 112 of 129
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DKWalsh4 View Post

The graph is on a developers forum, and if you would have read further it is for all users.

Yes, as noted in my post with the link to the site I added.

Quote:

The reason its on the developers forum is so the devs know who they want to cater their app to and whether they want to make it compatible for all version or just certain ones.

And the OTA for my HTC EVO was pushed in a tiered way. They didn't push it to everyone at the exact same time. I believe it was over the course of 2 or 3 days in which they slowly pushed it. Why wouldn't the same system work for Apple? Push it to 10 million people every few hours over the course of a couple days. I don't see any problem with that. And they always left the option for the impatient that if you didn't want to wait for the pushed OTA, you can always initiate it yourself.

So 10M every few hours is acceptable number for you? I am not so sure, but I’ll give you that for the sake of the argument.

Next is the data usage. Who pays for that? The carrier, Apple or the user? If a user gets 200MB from AT&T and my iPhone 4 update is 590MB I’m already 3x over my limit. If I get 2GB a month that is nearly ⅓ of that total from a single update. How long will that take to DL 590MB for the iPhone 4? And where do I store this 590MB file if I’m using too much NAND? Does the needed size get permanently allocated? Note this is the compressed IPSW file, and also one that doesn’t include an auto-installer.

These are just some issues that all need to be worked out and Apple does not have this in place at this time. It’s not as simple as flipping a switch and having the iPhone pull from the server like it does with App Store apps. This takes time, planning, testing, money, and above all else a valid reason.

As I’ve previously stated there are plenty of good reasons for OTA updates and I’ve clearly stated that I’d like to have them, at the very least for critical security updates, but there are plenty of negative aspects to OTA updates and jumping all in to a new method because an OS that doesn’t directly compete with your OS’ business model is doing it is not a good enough reason for this change.

PS: If we see this we’ll likely see it stages. We’ll see IPSW point updates via iTunes being small to test the reliability of the update cycle. Then perhaps a new updater that does all the work on the iOS device itself, only using iTunes as a conduit and safety net. Then finally some of the critical system updates OTA. But that is still before you consider any of the security pitfalls that can come from this method, as mentioned previously.
  • Reply 113 of 129
    Quote:

... So 10M every few hours is a good number for you? I am not so sure, but I?ll give you that. Next is the data usage. Who pays for that? If I get 200MB from AT&T and my iPhone 4 update is 350MB I?m already over. And how long will that take to DL? Hours? And where do I store it if my storage is full? these are issues that all need to be worked out and Apple does not have this in place at this time. It?s not simply flipping a switch and having the iPhone pull from the server like it does with App Store apps. This times time, planning, testing, money, and above all else a reason. As I?ve previously stated there are plenty of good reasons for OTA updates and I?ve clearly stated that I?d like to have them, at the very least for critical security updates, but there are plenty of negative aspects to OTA updates and jumping all in to a new method because an OS that doesn?t directly compete with your OS? business model is doing it is not a good enough reason for this change.

Besides which, and perhaps more importantly, OTA updates are not a real selling point (positively or negatively) to most users, and, again, engineering resources are better applied elsewhere.
  • Reply 114 of 129
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eldernorm View Post

I call BS. I have read many many reports where previous Android phones running previous releases cannot be upgraded because the carrier is the one who has to revise the custom code in the machines they sell. Because of this, users cannot upgrade even if a newer version of Android is out there.

As indicated in another reply..... many Android machines are STUCK at an earlier version. So where is this information in the data presented.????? Did they only look at the latest Android machines ????

Just curious here.

en

I disagree with the article too. I also agree with your assessment of android.

But you seem to have misinterpreted the article. It wasn't an Android vs iPhone article. It was specifically about the Droid and it's OTA upgrade mechanism.

Not every article is written as part of a smartphone holy-war.
  • Reply 115 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by timgriff84 View Post

I couldn't agree more. I think iTunes has been steadily going downhill over the years, until it's now just a horrible horrible bloatware. I was really ticked off that I couldn't even get my iPad started until I connected it to a machine running iTunes. I didn't have iTunes on my laptop. So I had to go back to the Apple Store and use one of their machines. What crock!

A week later, I purchased an iPod Touch because my old iPod died. I was out of town. No iTunes on my laptop. I had to make a 90+MB download on a sorry wifi network from my motel. It took over 2 hours and I cursed Apple all the way through it. It's a 32GB iPod Touch. They couldn't have figured out a way to use some of that space to load iTunes and install it when I connected it to a machine?

Two months later, my hard drive crashed. Then my Motherboard went. I am now on the 4th machine associated with my account. I don't have access to any of the previous machines so I can't reset them. I can't reset until I'm on my 5th machine and even then, I can only reset it once. It's absolute rubbish. I love the fact that I don't need anything like iTunes for my Android phone and I'm pretty sure my next music device will either not be an iPod unless they have got rid of this ridiculous dependency on iTunes.
  • Reply 116 of 129
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Waaaah, I had to install a free program to use my gadget.

Just kidding.

Why not just deauthorize all computers and reauthorize the ones you want? Theres no limit to how many times you can do it.
  • Reply 117 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

The 3GS never had performance problems from the iOS 4 update.

What about 3GSgate???
  • Reply 118 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

yes there are backups for ota IF one takes the time to do it. kinda like using os x autoupdate 'over the air'. you backup your mac before patching the os or upgrading it? you should cuz it could be 'bricked' too. same for windows.

i think people are just taking a 'apple doesn't use it with the iphone so anyone that does differently is wrong' attitude here.

Yes but where do OTA backups go to? Online where there is more risk of failed uploads? Elsewhere on the phone which may become inaccessible if the install fails or becomes majorly corrupted?

In my experience wired installs are generally more reliable.
  • Reply 119 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

Waaaah, I had to install a free program to use my gadget.

Just kidding.

Why not just deauthorize all computers and reauthorize the ones you want? Theres no limit to how many times you can do it.

A free program that should not be necessary, is huge, and needs to be downloaded and doesn't come with the device.

You can't deauthorize all computers until you have authorized 5 and even then it's just once in a year. Why put up these kind of ridiculous and arbitrary requirements?
  • Reply 120 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lowededwookie View Post

Yes but where do OTA backups go to? Online where there is more risk of failed uploads? Elsewhere on the phone which may become inaccessible if the install fails or becomes majorly corrupted?

On the phone. I make regular backups of the entire phone image on my Android phones. I have never once failed to restore a backup. I used to do it on the G1 just before I installed a new custom ROM. And now on my Vibrant, I just do it to preserve a state if I want to go back to it.

Is there a way of doing a backup (system+apps+data) on the iPad? I searched, but couldn't find one.

Quote:

In my experience wired installs are generally more reliable.

What OTA installs have you experienced which would lead you to this conclusion? I don't have any problems installing apps OTA on my iPad and Touch.