Android users quicker than iPhone users in upgrading to new OS versions - report

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 129
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by os2baba View Post

A free program that should not be necessary, is huge, and needs to be downloaded and doesn't come with the device.

You can't deauthorize all computers until you have authorized 5 and even then it's just once in a year. Why put up these kind of ridiculous and arbitrary requirements?

99% of their customers use iTunes. But yes, having minority tastes can be inconvenient when using mass produced products. I have the same problem with tons of electronics too.

Did you know you could have had all computers deauthorized with less effort than it took to post a couple times to this thread? Seriously. If you've already deauthorized all computers this year, just email Apple and they'll be happy to deauthorize all computers.

Why is necessary to contact them if doing it more than once a year? Well because otherwise people would just authorize and deauthorize every computer they visit. Kids would authorize a new computer whenever they wanted to play a song at a friend's house.

About iTunes Store authorization and deauthorization:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1420
  • Reply 122 of 129
    Android phones are typically used by a techier crowd. My grandfather at 75 picked up my iPhone and after 10 minutes he was using it no problem (slow but still...), he can barely operate the mouse....

I can't imagine him doing the same with my myTouch 3G. That thing even confuses me sometimes.
  • Reply 123 of 129
    Quote:

A free program that should not be necessary, is huge, and needs to be downloaded and doesn't come with the device.

You can't deauthorize all computers until you have authorized 5 and even then it's just once in a year. Why put up these kind of ridiculous and arbitrary requirements?

Because without these ridiculous and arbitrary requirements you would have to find something else to whine about!
  • Reply 124 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kevt View Post

Isn't Android 2.2 the first Android with Flash? Could be one reason for rapid adoption, although it may be a disappointing experience in reality if web reviews are anything to go by.

No, you forgot to mention the feature in 2.2 that makes the phone warmer when running flash. Just in time for snow season!! Can you just envision the new Verizon Christmas ad?

Santa: Well hello Rudloph! Is that your nose that's glowing so bright?

Rudolph: Heck no Santa! That's my new Droid running flash! It keeps me and the elves warm. Sure I go thru batteries quicker, and get blinding headaches, but since I got six free Droids when I got this one, I just use their batteries.

Santa: Well slap my ass and call me Nancy! That sounds like a great deal!

Announcer: This holiday, why not make it special by giving a loved on a phone they'll really want. Not some sissy phone that you have to hold like a French surrender monkey in order to make calls from it. Besides Droid phones are much more reliable, more open, and nine out of ten geeks feel sexually confident when owning one over the iPhone.

• Reply 125 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

Because without these ridiculous and arbitrary requirements you would have to find something else to whine about!

Really? You think iTunes is a ridiculous thing to whine about? It's an execrable piece of garbage. When I got my first iPod, I actually liked iTunes more than the iPod. It did a great job of organizing my music, allowing me to create playlists and burn CDs, change meta data while playing the song. But it did a few things very badly. Library management across multiple user accounts on the same computer was terrible. Syncing up only with one computer was an awful limitation. Periodically you get file link errors. None of the problems have been fixed in 8 years. Instead, it's just been piling more and more crap with every release. I had completely stopped using iTunes for 2-3 years until I had to re-install for the iPad and Touch and realized with a shock just how much worse it's become.

Not a single Windows user I know likes it. Some tolerate it. But not even Apple fans (and I certainly am not one of them) I know like iTunes. But to suggest that iTunes is a selling point for iDevices is downright laughable.
  • Reply 126 of 129
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You?re not thinking through the pros and cons of including such a model. What works for one model often doesn?t work for another, and Android OS and iOS (which is only available on iDevices and from one vendor) are very different models.

Okay I'm biased. I like OTA upgrades. And I like the fact that my smartphone never touches my Mac (except maybe to transfer some music). This for me is not an iOS vs. Android issue. I really do think all smartphones should be stand-alone pocketable computers.

But again, can you tell me why Apple would have a harder time pulling this off than the Android vendors?

I've read the comments. And I'm sorry but in my most humble opinion, the benefits of OTA upgrades (especially if executed properly...and we can trust Apple to do that) most certainly outweigh the security of the umbilical cord that is iTunes.
  • Reply 127 of 129
    Quote:

Not a single Windows user I know likes it. Some tolerate it. But not even Apple fans (and I certainly am not one of them) I know like iTunes. But to suggest that iTunes is a selling point for iDevices is downright laughable.

Either you're lying or you know a completely non-representative batch of users.

While I we could debate the quality of iTunes, that is a different issue. What you've done is taken your argument to an illogical extreme. Even ardent haters of iTunes should at least acknowledge that some people like iTunes. Because you're unwilling to do even that, rational people will probably discount everything else you write as well.

In other words, your trolling would be more effective if you weren't so obviously a troll.

(lol, I just advised a troll on how to troll better)
  • Reply 128 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

Okay I'm biased. I like OTA upgrades. And I like the fact that my smartphone never touches my Mac (except maybe to transfer some music). This for me is not an iOS vs. Android issue. I really do think all smartphones should be stand-alone pocketable computers.

But again, can you tell me why Apple would have a harder time pulling this off than the Android vendors?

My theory is this. OTA upgrades are powerful and will eventually be the norm. However, right now they are slightly less reliable. Apple has chosen to go the bullet-proof route and deliver complete firmware rewrites from a locally connected device.

This way, all upgrades are done the same way and done as fresh installs. With OTA upgrades, if something goes wrong, you still have to resort to a direct connected computer to fix the issue. This would mean that multiple upgrade methods would need to be supported.

In other words, apple has sacrificed convenience from the typical usage scenario in order to gain uniformity and reliability across all possible scenarios.
  • Reply 129 of 129
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,759member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Android updates tend to be far more extensive/feature-laden than the average iOS update, and they seldom cause more problems than they solve, which isn't always the case with iOS updates of late.

Or since such a small subset of Android phones are eligible for the vast majority of upgrades, while all iPhone models tend to be eligible for upgrades, the percentages might be a little skewed due to shear numbers?

Or another way to look at it - comparisons of the two aren't exactly equal without more details.