Samsung Galaxy Tab to take on Apple's iPad via all 4 US carriers

Comments

• Reply 81 of 241
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

We're talking tablets here namely the iPad, ATT outbid every other carrier only to change their agreement that SJ promoted as revolutionary. Samsung is smart enough not to limit themselves to a single carrier.

I really doubt Samsung has the pull to command exclusivity at a price.
  • Reply 82 of 241
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

The dispute was about fatness not thickness if you want to be picky. And fatness is all about proportions. But maybe this knowledge has not yet reached all states of US.

fat

   /fæt/ Show Spelled [fat] Show IPA adjective, fat·ter, fat·test, noun, verb, fat·ted, fat·ting.

?adjective

having too much flabby tissue; corpulent; obese: a fat person.

plump; well-fed: a good, fat chicken.

consisting of or containing fat; greasy; oily: fat gravy; fat meat.

profitable, as an office: a fat job on the city commission.

affording good opportunities, esp. for gain: a fat business contract.

wealthy; prosperous; rich: He grew fat on dishonest profits.

big, broad, or extended; thick: a fat sheaf of bills.

plentiful; abundant: a fat supply of food.

plentifully supplied: a fat larder; a fat feast.

dull; stupid: fat clumsiness of manner.

abounding in a particular element: Fat pine is rich in resin.

(of paint) having more oil than pigment. Compare lean2 ( def. 6 ) .

(of coal) highly bituminous; rich in volatile hydrocarbons.

Ceramics . long1 ( def. 25 ) .

fertile, as land: Everything grows in this fat soil.

?noun

any of several white or yellowish greasy substances, forming the chief part of adipose tissue of animals and also occurring in plants, that when pure are colorless, odorless, and tasteless and are either solid or liquid esters of glycerol with fatty acids; fats are insoluble in water or cold alcohol but soluble in ether, chloroform, or benzene: used in the manufacture of soap, paints, and other protective coatings and in cooking.

animal tissue containing much of this substance; loose flesh; flabbiness: to have rolls of fat around one's waist.

the richest or best part of anything.

obesity; corpulence: In his later years, he inclined to fat.

Slang . especially profitable or advantageous work.

an overabundance or excess; superfluity.

action or lines in a dramatic part that permit an actor to display abilities.

Also, phat. Also called lift. Typesetting . matter that can be composed easily and profitably, esp. from standing type, illustrations, or the like: fat work. Compare lean2 ( def. 11 ) .

?verb (used with object), verb (used without object)

to make or become fat.

?Idioms

a fat chance, Slang . a very slight chance; small probability: A fat chance he has of winning the title!

a fat lot, Slang . little or not at all: A fat lot they care about anyone else's troubles!

chew the fat. chew ( def. 11 ) .

the fat is in the fire,

a.

an irrevocable action or chain of events has been started; the die is cast: Now that they have been given an ultimatum, the fat is in the fire.

b.

the decision, whether good or bad, has been made.

c.

the crisis is imminent.

the fat of the land, the best or richest of anything obtainable: to live on the fat of the land.
  • Reply 83 of 241
    rptrpt Posts: 175member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

I love you guys. The thicker product is "slimmer".

We need a new dictionary around here.

Slimmer is a relative word just like fatter which is the word that was initially used in this tread. I you weight 180 lbs and are 6 ft tall, you are slimmer than the person who weight 179 and is 5 ft tall. In engineering terms slimness is defined as thickens divided by a characteristic length, I used the diagonal. No use for a dictionary, a little less trolling can do though.
  • Reply 84 of 241
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RPT View Post

Slimmer is a relative word just like fatter ...

...and just like thicker. HTH.
  • Reply 85 of 241
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

I DON'T love it when a poster really has nothing constructive to ad to a thread topic, so they resort to inane/petty/silly nonsensical postings/flame baiting.

You must really annoy yourself.
  • Reply 86 of 241
    Quote:

Samsung's Android-powered Galaxy Tab will be coming to all four major U.S. wireless carriers in the coming weeks and months, as the company hopes to compete with Apple's iPad in the booming touchscreen tablet market.

I don't think anyone has proven there is a "booming touchscreen table market" yet. So far there is only a booming iOS device market.
  • Reply 87 of 241
    I don't get the 7 inch form factor at all. It looks like a Huge cellphone. Too big to carry readily, yet too small for its intended use. You give up a lot of screen real estate to say the iPad, but have no real carrying advantage over your smartphone.
  • Reply 88 of 241
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Programmer View Post

I don't think anyone has proven there is a "booming touchscreen table market" yet. So far there is only a booming iOS device market.

But without it, where does the "us against the world" meme fit in?
  • Reply 89 of 241
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nonimus View Post

This link suggests that the price will be 799€ (or about $1040).

http://armdevices.net/2010/09/02/sam...b-at-ifa-2010/

I'm very interested in the iPad, but this seems more reasonably priced at $299 --

http://armdevices.net/2010/09/02/arc...yo-299-tablet/

PLUS the contract, you will be tied to a contract for the data with the carrier. Still all the iPads comes wi-fi & carrier less and there are hot spots every where. It will make things more interesting but alone not an iPad killer.
  • Reply 90 of 241
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

... and what has that got to do with what I posted...

> $299 = epic fail

What does it matter if we know the pricing or not?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I notice that the Android apologists (aka Apple bashers) are replying to every post except the ones that say anything about the price.

I wonder why that is. Could it be that they also know that this thing aint worth anything over $299 and that any price above this will be an epic fail.

Oh... We weren't aware that you were some high-powered Samsung 'insider' that knows - For a Fact - that the Samsung Galaxy Tab will be priced at more than the aforementioned US 299.00.

Probability: You (probably) Aren't, and Don't.
  • Reply 91 of 241
    rptrpt Posts: 175member
    Quote:

...and just like thicker. HTH.

To me, and I believe most other people, the thickens of an object is the smallest of the 3 dimensions of the object, this is not a relative measure.
  • Reply 91 of 241
    Quote:

Man, this looks great. I look forward to the WiFi-only models.

Of course it looks great to you, it's not Apple.
  • Reply 93 of 241
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:

Have you seen how much 'comparatively 'fatter' the ipad is

Do you understand the meaning of the word comparative?
  • Reply 94 of 241
    Quote:

fat

   /fæt/ Show Spelled [fat] Show IPA adjective, fat·ter, fat·test, noun, verb, fat·ted, fat·ting.

?adjective

having too much flabby tissue; corpulent; obese: a fat person.

plump; well-fed: a good, fat chicken.

consisting of or containing fat; greasy; oily: fat gravy; fat meat.

profitable, as an office: a fat job on the city commission.

affording good opportunities, esp. for gain: a fat business contract.

wealthy; prosperous; rich: He grew fat on dishonest profits.

big, broad, or extended; thick: a fat sheaf of bills.

plentiful; abundant: a fat supply of food.

plentifully supplied: a fat larder; a fat feast.

dull; stupid: fat clumsiness of manner.

abounding in a particular element: Fat pine is rich in resin.

(of paint) having more oil than pigment. Compare lean2 ( def. 6 ) .

(of coal) highly bituminous; rich in volatile hydrocarbons.

Ceramics . long1 ( def. 25 ) .

fertile, as land: Everything grows in this fat soil.

?noun

any of several white or yellowish greasy substances, forming the chief part of adipose tissue of animals and also occurring in plants, that when pure are colorless, odorless, and tasteless and are either solid or liquid esters of glycerol with fatty acids; fats are insoluble in water or cold alcohol but soluble in ether, chloroform, or benzene: used in the manufacture of soap, paints, and other protective coatings and in cooking.

animal tissue containing much of this substance; loose flesh; flabbiness: to have rolls of fat around one's waist.

the richest or best part of anything.

obesity; corpulence: In his later years, he inclined to fat.

Slang . especially profitable or advantageous work.

an overabundance or excess; superfluity.

action or lines in a dramatic part that permit an actor to display abilities.

Also, phat. Also called lift. Typesetting . matter that can be composed easily and profitably, esp. from standing type, illustrations, or the like: fat work. Compare lean2 ( def. 11 ) .

?verb (used with object), verb (used without object)

to make or become fat.

?Idioms

a fat chance, Slang . a very slight chance; small probability: A fat chance he has of winning the title!

a fat lot, Slang . little or not at all: A fat lot they care about anyone else's troubles!

chew the fat. chew ( def. 11 ) .

the fat is in the fire,

a.

an irrevocable action or chain of events has been started; the die is cast: Now that they have been given an ultimatum, the fat is in the fire.

b.

the decision, whether good or bad, has been made.

c.

the crisis is imminent.

the fat of the land, the best or richest of anything obtainable: to live on the fat of the land.

• Reply 95 of 241
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GmanMac View Post

I don't get the 7 inch form factor at all. It looks like a Huge cellphone. Too big to carry readily, yet too small for its intended use. You give up a lot of screen real estate to say the iPad, but have no real carrying advantage over your smartphone.

Friendly Suggestion: Go to one of your local electronics stores and hold a NOOK, Sony Reader, Kindle etc., and then go hold an Ipad.

At this point the viability, and potential desirability/superiority, of the larger-than-smartphone/smaller-than-iPad form-factor should be quite obvious.
  • Reply 96 of 241
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RPT View Post

To me, and I believe most other people, the thickens of an object is the smallest of the 3 dimensions of the object, this is not a relative measure.

"thickens" may not be a relative term, but "thicker" certainly is. Without a comparison, saying something is thicker has no meaning.
  • Reply 97 of 241
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

You must really annoy yourself.

You give ihm a lot of credit !
  • Reply 98 of 241
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by piot View Post

Do you understand the meaning of the word comparative?

In this context, it simply means using comparison as a method, which is exactly how it was used in my post.

So Now You Know...
  • Reply 99 of 241
    Quote:

Friendly Suggestion: Go to one of your local electronics stores and hold a NOOK, Sony Reader, Kindle etc., and then go hold an Ipad.

At this point the viability, and potential desirability/superiority, of the larger-than-smartphone/smaller-than-iPad form-factor should be quite obvious.

Then, actually do something other than read an ebook (well, pretend to do something on the non-iPad devices).

At this point the viability, and potential desirability/superiority, of the larger iPad form-factor should be quite obvious.
  • Reply 100 of 241
    Quote:

Cheer up. That is not true.

Bogus. If it were true, then the Galaxy Tab and all the others now in production would have been first to market, i.e., they would have innovated and introduce the market... like Apple did.