Best Buy CEO backpedals on iPad cannibalization comment

Comments

• Reply 21 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Applecation View Post

While I admit to spending more time on my iPad than my Mac, I would not consider the iPad my main computer. The iPad is more of an extension. I'm surprised anyone would consider it their main machine.

I would call it my "preferred" device (over an iP4 or an iMac). When I can use the iPad, I will-- it is more enjoyable and I am more productive.

• Reply 22 of 94
    Too late. Cat's outta the bag. Any attempt at retraction now just seems like lame damage control. While Steve is just laughing. Apple totally got what they wanted, probably without even expecting it. Just adding to the iPad mindshare.
  • Reply 23 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

It sounds like the iPad is his machine of choice now "when mobile". Is that what you're referring to?

Not necessarily just "when mobile". I use mine in the house a lot. It's kind of, everything, "when you don't really need a computer".
  • Reply 24 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"While they were fueled in part by a comment in The Wall Street Journal that was attributed to me, they are not an accurate depiction of what we're currently seeing.

Yes, but you DID say it didn't you.

Don't you just love the way CEOs murder language? This is the most perfect example of 1984-type doublespeak that you are ever likely to encounter. This guy must have trained to be a lawyer.
  • Reply 25 of 94
    Sounds like you think Steve is the Antichrist (meaning a false messiah)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by umrk View Post

Autumn 2010 : Apple announces quarterly results which show a 50 Billion Dollar revenue / 20 Billion Dollar profits trajectory. The analysts revise their expectations ..

Spring 2011 : after the iPad, the iPhone (now 5) is introduced in China, and generates hysteria, as well as a specific Verizon CDMA model for the US. The competitors announce models "soon to come", but fail to materialize ... Analysts revise their expectations again..

Apple reinvents the watch: iWatch (human skin surface currents being used to transmit information to earphones)

Summer 2011 : Steve Jobs announces that a few billion Dollar out of Apple's cash will be used to launch Apple's largest private satellite constellation (this representing a tiny proportion of Apple's total cash). TV broadscasters feel uncomfortable ..

Spring 2012 : Apple reinvents the TV

Autumn 2012 : Apple reinvents the credit card : Steve announces that the iPhone now fully possesses credit card capabilities (with of course sophisticated authentication capabilities, and added value services for budget management, etc ...), and announces the creation of the Apple iBank. Banking companies start getting worried ..

The analysts start to realize that instead of the iPad (now sold at more than three million per month) cannibalizing the Macs, each product or service of the Apple ecosystem strengthens each other, and that Apple is eating up every year a percentage of the huge PC market share. They revise their expectations accordingly ..

Apple competitors feel increasingly worried, and find no way to navigate safely through the mine fields of Apple patents (the Lawyers department of Apple has grown up to ten thousand of people, becoming the first department of the company). Sadly for them, they have no hope to expect from the antitrust authorities, since Apple is not the dominant player in any of its markets.

Spring 2013 : Apple chief financial Officer manages to convince Steve that the only way to reduce Apple's enormous cash would be to distribute a dividend to the shareholders. The Apple share skyrockets again ..

End of 2013 : Apple acquires Intel

Summer 2014 : following IBM's example, PC suppliers quit one by one the PC market, into which they have no hope to make any decent profit (especially since the competition on prices has become even tougher, as the Windows market share shrinks ..).

Microsoft is in trouble.. (Especially since Steve's pitbull buddy Larry Ellison has successfully sued several companies about Java, and has aggressively and successfully promoted Open Office against Microsoft Office). Steve Ballmer is fired. Apple uses the old Microsoft video of the "iPhone4 funerals" to celebrate the news. Dell runs out of business (and distributes the money to its shareholders (who immediately buy Apple shares with it).

Autumn 2014 : the Apple profits have now jumped to the incredible amount of 40 Billion Dollar a year, turning Apple shares into the largest stock among any companies in the world (beyond Exxon Mobil or Petrochina). Analysts again revise their expectations ..

Spring 2015 : Steve annouces that from now on, the Apple enormous cash + the revenues driven from immaterial content (advertising, music, films, newspapers ..) enable the company to distribute its electronic consumer products for free

Autumn 2016 : Apple reinvents the car : iCar (yes, it is a mobile device, too ...)

Summer 2019 : the «*water party*» candidate to the US Presidency (tea party follow up, even more aggressive republican sect) announces Apple's dismantling in case he/she is elected. Steve Jobs is successfully (without any campaign) designated as Democrat candidate to the election.

2020 : Apple reinvents the President of the United Staes :Steve Jobs is elected president of the United States (but insists for its salary to be one dollar / year only (first iPresident of the United States).

At that time, Steve's popularity is so great that most American people convert to Zen Buddhism, (which becomes the first religion in the US), and are no longer interested in profit. Apple stores throughout the world (even China agrees) are converted (with little modifications) to Zen Buddhist temples.

2030 : after a carreer as a business man & a politician, Steve Jobs now reveals his true nature : being a religious leader. He preaches successfully Zen Buddhism, and manages to convert unlikely disciples (such as Arnold Swarzenegger & Larry Ellison (who decides to give his entire fortue to charity funds)).

• Reply 26 of 94
    When a consumer is faced with the decision between a netbook's small form and "almost a laptop" shortcomings or an exciting, light weight, touch screen gadget with the support of a deep and wide app store for the same amount of money.... which would you choose, the past or the future?

Apple is the first company to bring a GUI that actually benefits from touching a screen to manipulate and interact with a computer in a slick, affordable and actual shipped product. The other's can only follow Apple's lead yet I doubt will ever offer a product that's more than a "me to" contender. Apple's ability to bring products to market that have an ecosystem already in place to support said product is not seen in a world that depends on Microsoft and now Google to build. Apple creates software so integrated with hardware that the consumer sees the two elements as one and not two distinctive parts. Okay rant is over now.
  • Reply 27 of 94
    It's not cannibalization unless the iPad is eating into Apples notebook sales, which hasn't been the case.
  • Reply 28 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kohelet View Post

Sounds like you think Steve is the Antichrist (meaning a false messiah)

I thought it was kinda funny . . . regardless of what might have motivated it.
  • Reply 29 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Brian Dunn, CEO of Best Buy, issued a statement Friday clarifying his earlier comment that the iPad had cannibalized sales of some notebook and netbook models by as much as 50 percent.

"While they were fueled in part by a comment in The Wall Street Journal that was attributed to me, they are not an accurate depiction of what we're currently seeing. In fact, we see some shifts in consumption patterns, with tablet sales being an incremental opportunity. And as we said during our recent earnings call, we believe that computers will remain a very popular gift this holiday because of the very distinct and desirable benefits they offer consumers. That's why we intend to carry a broad selection of computing products and accessories, to address the demand we anticipate this season."

Translation?

We make a much higher percentage off the sale of these other products (than Apple products) and if my comments slow down sales of these products even further, that would be a bad thing.

Also, someone "anonymously" called me and "straightened out my thinking", which was previously incorrect.
  • Reply 30 of 94
    Quote:

It's not cannibalization unless the iPad is eating into Apples notebook sales, which hasn't been the case.

Another possibility: It eats into the Mac notebook sales for existing users, but at the same time attracting so many more new converts that it doesn't matter. The end result is good for the Mac world anyway.
  • Reply 31 of 94
    Quote:

I'm still skeptical that iPads have much to do with this sales trend.

It would be interesting to find out how many iPad owner were actually in the market for a windows laptop.

Good point.
  • Reply 32 of 94
    What he should have said was, "Look, we all know that everyone knows you'd have to be a moron to buy a Mac at Best Buy and really hardly anyone does, and honestly the only people who vaguely consider buying any computer at Best Buy are not informed consumers and certainly not even moderately experienced computer users. We sell a bunch of stuff but I haven't seen enough computers sold at Best Buy since I've been here to have any idea of the market."
  • Reply 33 of 94
    Quote:

An honest question: have you tried using an iPad as your only computer?

I have yet to see many reports of anyone doing that. I can't remember having read even one. That isn't to say it isn't happening. But it must be quite rare.

Exactly... it's not designed for that. It would be like needing a truck and using a smart car instead. It was designed to be a secondary device to a computer. Sure you can use it beyond that intention, but it isn't going to work that smoothly in most cases. Apple doesn't want the computer to go away, they want it to be a hub, even though it's not fashionable to talk about that anymore.

What I've never understood is those crappy netbook things. Miserable form factor, useless keyboard, cheap construction, pathetic performance for a computer, and a screen that is too small to effectively use conventional software. Using one makes me feel like I'm crunching up into a little ball and trying to squeeze myself into it's little L-shaped space. They are horrid!

The iPad, on the other hand, has an open free feeling to it, access is casual, software is purpose built for it, you interact directly with the screen or the whole device, and it feels fast. It is a brilliant device and the insight of the designers shows through in every aspect. People that have issue with it typically do so because they (a) try to use it as a truck, (b) try to fit it into their preconceived mould for a device, or (c) just detest Apple. Guess what? The market of people that don't fall into those groups is rather large.
  • Reply 34 of 94
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Yeah, I'm sure it is killing the cheap netbook market. The higher-end sub-notebooks shouldn't be affected as much. I've made-up my mind that my Macbook replacement will be an iPad but I just bought an iMac and wouldn't dare replace that with an iPad.

I saw that Kindle commercial and I would agree about its ability to be able to be read in sunlight. Hence the need for both devices unfortunately.
  • Reply 35 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by umrk View Post

2030 : after a carreer as a business man & a politician, Steve Jobs now reveals his true nature : being a religious leader. He preaches successfully Zen Buddhism, and manages to convert unlikely disciples (such as Arnold Swarzenegger & Larry Ellison (who decides to give his entire fortue to charity funds)).

This is seriously funny stuff - you have missed your calling as a true satirist - keep up the good stuff.

You missed a great opportunity to cap it off - a suggestion:

Jobs has now become the first iProphet, with devine insight, and later morphs into the first iGod. The benefits of such a god are profound. Now that iPrayer devices are embedded at birth, and while invoking the name of the iGod Steve (blessed be his name), you are rewarded with instantaneous answers to your prayers (and searches, as a side benefit), all downloaded directly to your brain. However, Flash is STILL not supported, except immediately after death.
  • Reply 36 of 94
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Applecation View Post

While I admit to spending more time on my iPad than my Mac, I would not consider the iPad my main computer. The iPad is more of an extension. I'm surprised anyone would consider it their main machine.

I think it's just a matter of semantics. A "main" computer might be interpreted by some as being the most expensive, powerful, etc. . ..... while others may consider it to be the one that they use most. There's no wrong answer here ... whatever works for you is ok.

I'll give you an example of "language problems" ... all with humorous results:

''See, in my line of work you got to keep repeating things over and over and over again for the truth to sink in, to kind of catapult the propaganda.''

?President George W. Bush, Greece, N.Y., May 24, 2005

''I'll be long gone before some smart person ever figures out what happened inside this Oval Office.''

?President George W. Bush, in an interview with the Jerusalem Post, Washington, D.C., May 12, 2008

''Then you wake up at the high school level and find out that the illiteracy level of our children are appalling.''

?President George W. Bush, Washington, D.C., Jan. 23, 2004

I still miss his "unintended" humor......
  • Reply 37 of 94
    Somebody got a spankin' from the notebook boys!
  • Reply 38 of 94
    Quote:

I'm still skeptical that iPads have much to do with this sales trend.

Tell me, if a new device is introduced into a defined market ... (portable computing devices) ... and, following that, the sales of previous similar devices shrink while the market share of the new device rockets upward ..... can you not see the "cause and effect" here/ .... seriously?
  • Reply 39 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kerryb View Post

Apple creates software so integrated with hardware that the consumer sees the two elements as one and not two distinctive parts.

Finally, .... the real reason for Apple's success. .... Now, let's hope the other manufacturers don't read ypur post. ......
  • Reply 40 of 94
    Cannibalization??? Om nom nom nom!!!