Best Buy CEO backpedals on iPad cannibalization comment

Comments

• Reply 61 of 94
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Says the fellow "never saw an Apple product or user that he didn't have contempt for but inexplicably chooses to post on an Apple enthusiast site" guy. I'll give you this, though: you don't have Newtron's penchant for compulsive multiple posts in a row thing, in which he apparently feels a need to respond to each and every person in every thread (although all I'm seeing is a kind of funny half page of Newtron headers, which when seen bare look like evidence of pathology).

Still, I take your point (edits ignore list).
  • Reply 62 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MenLoveToys View Post

Apparently to annoy you, as you are the only 1 that takes the time (on every one of his postings) to point out how much he annoys you.

So...

Really, I think you should ask yourself. Why are you replying rather than putting him on your ignore list?

I'd say on an intelligence level he's got 1 up on you...

You take the time to read posts that you know are going to annoy you.

Oh, the same comment as above holds in your case too.

Just expressing an opinion, that's all.

("Every one of his posts?", Newtron has 630+ posts in a little over a month, quite a lot for someone who has mostly negative things to say about Apple; I've probably responded to him maybe a dozen times -- so don't exaggerate......)
  • Reply 63 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

(edits ignore list).

I should perhaps start.

I am loathe to 'ignore' someone for their views. I figure it's better to (occasionally) confront them when the blather gets really offensive.
  • Reply 64 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I should perhaps start.

I am loathe to 'ignore' someone for their views. I figure it's better to (occasionally) confront them when the blather gets really offensive.

I loathe reading your comments on how posts annoy you.

See how that works?

If you have no control over your tolerance, and you have to reply in a negative manner than I think we'd all be better off if you start using the ignore feature.
  • Reply 65 of 94
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

I should perhaps start.

I don't mind going back and forth with someone on a particular issue, if that someone has a track record which suggests that might be interesting.

My ignore list criterion is simple: if a given poster does literally nothing but run down Apple and/or trumpet the virtues of other platforms (which lately pretty much means Android enthusiasts with some kind of compulsion to argue), or if a given poster spends an undue amount of time snarling about "Apple people" and their many manifest psychological shortcomings, then I don't see any reason to read their posts. Because I already know the broad outlines of what they have to say.

So as I scan threads with a lot of ignored posts, I can just mentally go "Apple sux, fan boy, Android does that better, Apple didn't invent anything, Jobs is evil, poser, hipster, App Store sux, fan boy." Not surprisingly, it also clears out a lot of the ancillary bickering and trivial tit for tat, because a lot of that is just flack from the same people.

Saves time.
  • Reply 66 of 94
    Quote:

I loathe reading your comments on how posts annoy you.

See how that works?

If you have no control over your tolerance, and you have to reply in a negative manner than I think we'd all be better off if you start using the ignore feature.

Someone with even average intelligence can plainly see how your own comment applies to you as well!

Oh, wait......
  • Reply 67 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I don't mind going back and forth with someone on a particular issue, if that someone has a track record which suggests that might be interesting.

My ignore list criterion is simple: if a given poster does literally nothing but run down Apple and/or trumpet the virtues of other platforms (which lately pretty much means Android enthusiasts with some kind of compulsion to argue), or if a given poster spends an undue amount of time snarling about "Apple people" and their many manifest psychological shortcomings, then I don't see any reason to read their posts. Because I already know the broad outlines of what they have to say.

So as I scan threads with a lot of ignored posts, I can just mentally go "Apple sux, fan boy, Android does that better, Apple didn't invent anything, Jobs is evil, poser, hipster, App Store sux, fan boy." Not surprisingly, it also clears out a lot of the ancillary bickering and trivial tit for tat, because a lot of that is just flack from the same people.

Saves time.

You do have a point.
  • Reply 68 of 94
    I got my iPad the day they went on sale, and as time goes by I find myself using it less and less, even with 4.2 on it. The lack of a keyboard really makes it "not very useful" for me. I absolutely HATE typing on the thing... it is so slow to type on! I'm moving back to my netbook more and more because it has a keyboard and can really multitask. Between taking 37 hours to sync (not joking!!! I timed it) and the lack of keyboard my iPad has pretty much been relegated to playing Angry Birds and Zinio these days. My phone fits in my pocket and does a great job of checking email, my Kindle is great for reading books, but for any computing need beyond that the netbook makes the next most suitable device. I'm not saying I wish I hadn't bought it, but over time it is becoming less and less useful for me, not more useful. I use my netbook multiple times daily, but the iPad sits on the dock for days at a time without being used. So for me the iPad has definitely not replaced a netbook, it has actually happened the other way around.
  • Reply 69 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djdj View Post

I got my iPad the day they went on sale, and as time goes by I find myself using it less and less, even with 4.2 on it. The lack of a keyboard really makes it "not very useful" for me. .... Between taking 37 hours to sync (not joking!!! I timed it) and the lack of keyboard .....

37 hours! Wow. No wonder you've given up on it. I would too. Fortunately, that sort of thing must be a complete outlier, for otherwise, the iPad would not be such a blockbuster performer taking market share away from Netbooks. (Speaking for myself, the first-time sync -- about 55GB -- took the longest, about 40 mins; it's been pretty quick after that).

Btw, it is a bit surprising that you are so averse to a large touch-based keyboard, and yet happy with an iPhone (which has a much smaller keyboard)!
  • Reply 70 of 94
    Quote:

Oh, the same comment as above holds in your case too.

Just expressing an opinion, that's all.

("Every one of his posts?", Newtron has 630+ posts in a little over a month, quite a lot for someone who has mostly negative things to say about Apple; I've probably responded to him maybe a dozen times -- so don't exaggerate......)

Oh, I see...

Someone that has 5,400 posts in 4 years or almost 15 posts a day doesn't suggest obsession or lack of a social life.

I can see why I'd take your advice. You seem much more reasonable.
  • Reply 71 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djdj View Post

I got my iPad the day they went on sale, and as time goes by I find myself using it less and less (...) The lack of a keyboard really makes it "not very useful" for me. I absolutely HATE typing on the thing... it is so slow to type on!

...so why not get a cheap bluetooth keyboard?
  • Reply 72 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 0yvind View Post

...so why not get a cheap bluetooth keyboard?

...so why not just use a real computer?
  • Reply 73 of 94
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:

You take the time to read posts that you know are going to annoy you.

And annoy those of us that put him on ignore...
  • Reply 74 of 94
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:

Oh, I see...

Someone that has 5,400 posts in 4 years or almost 15 posts a day doesn't suggest obsession or lack of a social life.

You know, pretty much all OSs ship these days with a calculator...
  • Reply 75 of 94
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:

Oh, I see...

If you're going to jump on somebody ..... you should first "do your homework" ... it will save you from looking like a fool.

5400 * 4 years =1350 posts /year .... * 365 =3.69 posts per day ..... not even close to 15. No soup for you.
  • Reply 76 of 94
    This much is clear: BestBuy's CEO is so in love with the iPad he can't stop talking about it. Maybe in a few days he'll offer a clarification on his clarification.
  • Reply 77 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

If you're going to jump on somebody ..... you should first "do your homework" ... it will save you from looking like a fool.

5400 * 4 years =1350 posts /year .... * 365 =3.69 posts per day ..... not even close to 15. No soup for you.

Thanks.

And, 630/30 = 21/day (Newtron).

PS: And, as a bonus, at least, I like Apple.
  • Reply 78 of 94
    Quote:

Oh, I see...

Leaving aside your arithmetic skills, me give you advice? Look, those who get it don't need advice, and those who need advice don't get it.

Get it?
  • Reply 79 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

An honest question: have you tried using an iPad as your only computer?

I have yet to see many reports of anyone doing that. I can't remember having read even one. That isn't to say it isn't happening. But it must be quite rare.

Lets see. For $650 any business can buy a pretty good off the shelf PC with plenty of duo core power, 2 gb of ram and 500 gb of storage space. Its probably overpowered for 50% plus of the people who have them on their desk. That leaves a lot of room for future when more power is needed to run more full featured applications. Not any of this mini-app stuff that runs on phone OS. Plenty of business software available for any need also.

Now consider the iPad. $499 to $830. Runs mini-software. Some business software available. Runs music, videos, and is great at internet access. Great ways to spend your free time.

PC's are the core of businesses. Plenty of cheap computing power.

iPad's are great for killing your free time.

Move along to three years later when tablets have 8 core cpu, more storage power, lower prices, more ports for flexibility, the ability to run full featured software, etc, etc, then I can see PC's dying and tablets taking over.

One last note. NEVER believe anything that Best (Worst) Buy tells you!
  • Reply 80 of 94
    Yeah, I was trying to be funny. (Bible Major humor I suppose) I realized you were joking. And you do have a point Apple products can take on a religious type hype. I joke from time to time that I've a "golden mac" (playing off the Golden calf in Exodus)