Apple acquires Swedish face recognition company - rumor

Comments

• Reply 21 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

I will never allow such a device to be anywhere in my direct line of sight. It is bad enough that Apple is working on the other spyware previously announced. But this shit is WAY too scary for me.

Next thing you know, Apple will "offer" to "store" your fingerprints to "help" with "security". DNA samplers built into the keyboard?

So you better stay away from the US and a number of other countries. At the immigration office they do this kind of thing regularly since years. And at least during the Bush administration, I certainly would have trusted apple a godzillion times more. Still I didn't mind to pas by.
  • Reply 22 of 57
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by habermas View Post

I don't think you understand the potential ramifications of this technology. Look up "Google Goggles" and then tell me where to find the option toggle preventing you from being facially recognised by a million smartphone users in a reality where Polarrose's facial recognition technology is linked to a massive index of facebook identities or similar.

Yes, I do.

I understand that whenever a new technology is introduced it has the potential to be used in a 'bad' way. That doesn't mean that I have a ridiculous paranoid knee-jerk reaction at every announcement.

There is a RUMOUR that Apple may have bought this company.

And from that, you're suggesting that Apple want to take over the world, and monitor your every move.

Bit of a leap?
  • Reply 23 of 57
    So this app will allow me to recognize the people I am friends with? Ooooo.... Interesting.
  • Reply 24 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

Just in case anyone else wants to start wrapping their head in tinfoil. Facial recognition in video and motion/pattern tracking as already employed by most law enforcement agencies, it's nothing new.

The ability to automatically tag video as you already can do with photo's will be a useful option.

Not some plot to take over the world.

Quite right. The potential here for security apps to be used by law enforcement or even businesses with security concerns could be mind-bogglingly huge. OK, devs... Let's start seeing those $5,000 apps!
  • Reply 25 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pinolo View Post

So this app will allow me to recognize the people I am friends with? Ooooo.... Interesting.

I suspect it will be able to tell you which friends appear in a video, without you having to watch the video, which is very interesting.
  • Reply 26 of 57
    Apple bought this company for one reason, and one reason only:

The ability for the computer to automatically recognize who is in your movies, compare that information with your Facebook (or Ping) account, and automatically remove those who are not your "friends".

One sole purpose, and that's it.
  • Reply 27 of 57
    According to Mac1 this program has been available both for iPhone and Android.

From what I could see it looked more like a video version of the face recognition in iPhoto - with the added benefit that it can be added to online sites like MobileMe. Wouldn't make me too paranoid to use it, considering the far more advanced face recognition technologies already in use by governmetns and big corps.
  • Reply 28 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

Apple bought this company for one reason, and one reason only:

The ability for the computer to automatically recognize who is in your movies, compare that information with your Facebook (or Ping) account, and automatically remove those who are not your "friends".

One sole purpose, and that's it.

Well it's able to analyse a video feed in real time, so how about the applications of this for game control also?

Your statement of fact seems a little short sighted...
  • Reply 29 of 57
    berpberp Posts: 136member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by habermas View Post

I don't see how your examples of yesterday's functionality is in any way reassuring relative to how this recently acquired technology may turn out to be implemented in the future.

I trust Apple to move from the outside in on your face.

Google's business model is essentially based on having a take on your face from the inside out; your facial expression just makes a fair deal out of "rob-a-thought".
  • Reply 30 of 57
    Quote:

I will never allow such a device to be anywhere in my direct line of sight. It is bad enough that Apple is working on the other spyware previously announced. But this shit is WAY too scary for me.

Next thing you know, Apple will "offer" to "store" your fingerprints to "help" with "security". DNA samplers built into the keyboard?

A little paranoid, are we?
  • Reply 31 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

The iPad could definitely do with accounts, much more so than the iPhone. And logging in with your face would be much more secure than with a password.

Though if/once it comes out, I wonder how long before someone posts a YouTube video of them holding up a photo of someone in front of an iPad and it accepting the login.

"Good morning, master Jones. I'm afraid I cannot give you access to your Dad's, ahem, protected photographs. Would you like me to open any other folder?"
  • Reply 32 of 57
    None of us here knows what and how Apple will use this for and you all are freaking out already..
  • Reply 33 of 57
    Quote:

I know, right? I don't even store my contacts in Address Book since Apple added 3rd party API access to it. They are in a plain text file on an encrypted disk image.

Mmmmhm exactly and each time before I plug my computer to the net, I perform a full secure hard disc reformatting.
  • Reply 34 of 57
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

Mmmmhm exactly and each time before I plug my computer to the net, I perform a full secure hard disc reformatting.

It's not about paranoia, it's about respecting other people. If they have trusted you with their contact information you should be careful with it.
  • Reply 35 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pruff. Peebudy View Post

Thees duesn't suoond guud tu me-a et ell. Vhet's zee pueent ooff oonly recugneesing Svedeesh feces? Zeey ere-a oonly a teeny percentege-a ooff zee ooferell pupooleshun. Vhet ebuoot zee rest ooff us?

Bork! Bork! Bork!
  • Reply 36 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by theAppleMan912 View Post

I await the day when my iMac says. Welcome, Dexter. How are you today.

Sounds great, except that my name is not Dexter.
  • Reply 37 of 57
    Quote:

It's not about paranoia, it's about respecting other people. If they have trusted you with their contact information you should be careful with it.

Sorry I was thinking you were sarcastic. Sure one has to be careful with personal data but the 3rd party access to the address book is important to give their apps some useful functionality and not to spy on you. BTW data protection at apple is a big issue. I think it's pretty difficult to slip in an application that effectively is able to spy on your address book and send any information gathered back to the app producer. Isn't this completely against the SDK guidelines?
  • Reply 38 of 57
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Sounds like tech that'll go in a rev of iPhoto or Aperture. Would be nice for the iPhone too.
  • Reply 39 of 57
    Mods, please do something about this guy.

All his posts are typically: one-liners, put-downers, combative, surly, and simply detract from the flow of a decent conversation. And, it's the same, tiresome anti-Apple cr4p 24/7 (yeah, the guy also seems to post 24/7).

It's almost as though teckstud took a class in punctuation and came back to haunt us.

Please. Enough.

Quote:

Quote:

And then post a pic of your wife and kids.

Not.

Quote:

We?

Speak for yourself.

Quote:

Got something to hide?

Quote:

Nope. But thanks for playing.

• Reply 40 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

Not some plot to take over the world.

Well, nobody claimed it was.

I saw a clip the other day of some evil WWII guy speaking to a crowd. The first thing he said was "You all know me. I have been described as having horns, a long tail, and as carrying a pitchfork".

Why did he do that?

He overstates his enemy's position, to seem benign in comparison. It is a popular propaganda technique.

So no, this is not a plot to take over the world. But neither is it benign.