European Union ends antitrust investigations of Apple

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    So how do you set up an account?

Every time I've tried using an Android phone and the GV application I get an error message from Google saying I have to be in America.

So I guess I could fraudulently misrepresent my IP (using a proxy) and home address to get GV but that would make my existing GMail fairly useless as well as giving me a rather useless number requiring my friends to make International calls.

I sold an Android phone to an American who already had GV active but I never heard how he got on.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Superbass View Post

Yes it does. The current free calls to telephones in North America is not offered, though (except for accounts created in North America - I've been living in Europe for 6 years, but created my account in Canada, and can now call all phones in North America for free )

Anyways, I know lots of folks who have switched from Skype to Google Voice over here for calls between gmail users. iPhone implementation would be sweet!

• Reply 22 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

So how do you set up an account?

Every time I've tried using an Android phone and the GV application I get an error message from Google saying I have to be in America.

So I guess I could fraudulently misrepresent my IP (using a proxy) and home address to get GV but that would make my existing GMail fairly useless as well as giving me a rather useless number requiring my friends to make International calls.

I sold an Android phone to an American who already had GV active but I never heard how he got on.

I haven't personally set it up on Android, but you can set it up to work from within GMail at http://www.google.com/googlevoice/about.html

I know several folks using it in Europe on their Samsung Android phones, so I assume it's possible (neither of them has much technical know-how) Maybe it's necessary to add it to your GMail account before signing on? Or maybe your service provider is blocking VOIP?
  • Reply 23 of 33
    hmm...

Quote:

Google Voice is not available in your country.

Thanks for visiting Google Voice. We're not yet open for users outside the US, but are planning to expand our service to additional countries in the future.

(Response from checking your link.)

So I guess Google Voice has nothing whatsoever to do with the EU as it is explicitly stated by Google that the service is not for users outside the US.

Unless you intentionally misrepresent yourself as being from the US.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Superbass View Post

I haven't personally set it up on Android, but you can set it up to work from within GMail at http://www.google.com/googlevoice/about.html

I know several folks using it in Europe on their Samsung Android phones, so I assume it's possible (neither of them has much technical know-how) Maybe it's necessary to add it to your GMail account before signing on? Or maybe your service provider is blocking VOIP?

• Reply 24 of 33
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

If the ipad keeps up with prediction AAPL should be at around $400 next year and this just to match up the new income and profit. In short, Apple had 3 majors income sources: Macs, iphone, iPods. And now the ipad.

The rest of the income, like itune sales, softwares and accessories, is insignificant compare to the hardware.

Agreed. I see 500 by late 2011 early 2012 if not a stock split too.
  • Reply 25 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Agreed. I see 500 by late 2011 early 2012 if not a stock split too.

A mere 70% appreciation over the course of a year or so. And people make fun of the analysts and their number crunching.

Who the heck cares about stock splits?
  • Reply 26 of 33
    The European Union sometimes does understand nothing Fortunately now it ends antitrust investigations of Apple...
  • Reply 27 of 33
    Quote:

hmm...

(Response from checking your link.)

So I guess Google Voice has nothing whatsoever to do with the EU as it is explicitly stated by Google that the service is not for users outside the US.

Unless you intentionally misrepresent yourself as being from the US.

Well, I'm in Denmark and I get the full welcome/signup screen. So do about 30 other Danes who are in my Google Voice contact list, as well as a few from the UK... I don't have an IP blocker, either. I did a quick google, and it seems lots of folks from UK use the service, as well as Sweden and Denmark.

Maybe your country isn't supported yet, but that doesn't mean there's a blanket EU ban...

EDIT - now I see, if you use Chrome, and set your language to "US English", it might work for you, too. Those are my settings, and it apparently also works for this guy:

http://thenextweb.com/google/2010/08...utside-the-us/
  • Reply 28 of 33
    Quote:

Google voice is irrelevant to the EU as Google doesn't offer it there.

Okaaaaay. So what's your point?
  • Reply 29 of 33
    I'm surprised all these benefits that stemmed from the EU investigations. Here in the US, our own government would help out sticking us up.
  • Reply 30 of 33
    29922992 Posts: 202member
    gotta love ECC
  • Reply 31 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by coolcat View Post

Okaaaaay. So what's your point?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The relaxed restrictions have also allowed the return of Google Voice-enabled apps and ringtone generating apps.

• Reply 32 of 33
    never mind
  • Reply 33 of 33
    Does anyone know where I can find this announcement? Shouldn't it be on apple's page?

thanks