iPhone 4 demand outstrips supply in China

Comments

• Reply 21 of 85
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

And which phones might those be? I didn't realize that there were counterfeit iPhones out there. I'd be interested in links so that I can check them out. (Not to buy, just to see if they do exist and really compare to the REAL iPhone)

There are. What they are missing is the OS. They have a vague replica of the OS with some of the apple apps ( not the app store, or iPod, or iTunes). Everything is crap - I think it is written in Java.

for naive users it is the same as iPhone OS 1.0.
  • Reply 22 of 85
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

How can you be so certain of this? I am sure a CDMA based iPhone could easily have and probably will have many components in common (screen, case etc...) (mfg volume economy) with the GSM version. Any constrained common component could easily delay things until the next mfg ramp up is complete. That being said, I don't see a Verizon iPhone until at least June 2011 and more likely June 2013 and even then it being more LTE based not CDMA.

I don't think he's saying anything as a certainty, but there is evidence from Verizon to suggest Verizon lost out on the iPhone by their own choosing and that they may still be willing to play catch with Apple's ball.

Your commnt on components that will be used across both device types is a great point. It may not make sense for Apple to make a CDMA-based iPhone right now if they can't even get their GSM-based variety manufactured fast enough. Is this new Foxconn plant, scheduled for completion in 2011 (last I heard), for making iPhone for GSM, CDMA or both?
  • Reply 23 of 85
    If I read this right AAPL will break $300 for the first time tomorrow.
  • Reply 24 of 85
    Quote:

How can you be so certain of this? I am sure a CDMA based iPhone could easily have and probably will have many components in common (screen, case etc...) (mfg volume economy) with the GSM version. Any constrained common component could easily delay things until the next mfg ramp up is complete. That being said, I don't see a Verizon iPhone until at least June 2011 and more likely June 2013 and even then it being more LTE based not CDMA.

1. From what I understand, there were some supply issues related to the display, which was limiting production. These issues have been resolved, and we'll see more production in the coming weeks and months. Some of these new displays will go to the CDMA iPhone.

2. What I think 4phun was referring to was the concept that the Chinese government would be willing to artificially prevent CDMA iPhone manufacturing, so a bunch of GSM iPhones would get made, instead, then delivered to Chinese customers. I was basically saying that this argument was moot, because government-owned China Telecom could sell any CDMA iPhones that could be produced.

3. The three-to-four million number has been discussed elsewhere on AI.

4. LTE won't be on an iPhone until 2012 at the earliest, because of power efficiency and size issues. And there will be a bunch of places that CDMA exists, and not LTE; Verizon will therefore have CDMA backup on their LTE phones.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It may not make sense for Apple to make a CDMA-based iPhone right now if they can't even get their GSM-based variety manufactured fast enough. Is this new Foxconn plant, scheduled for completion in 2011 (last I heard), for making iPhone for GSM, CDMA or both?

I don't know, but I'm guessing GSM-only. Few CDMA carriers would be willing to make the changes needed to support VoRA or Rev. B. In the meantime, as you probably already know, the CDMA iPhones will be built in a factory not owned or operated by Foxconn.
  • Reply 25 of 85
    50,000 satisfied iPhone 4 customers in China this past Saturday during their iPhone 4 launch while other countries carriers are still waiting on Apple to meet order requests. Here in Canada unless you're a kid that doesn't have any financial responsibilities you can't afford to camp out a day in advance in front of an Apple store or Rogers dealer location with the hope that maybe you'll get your hands on an iPhone 4. I've spent several months calling dealers and Apple as well as gas and parking fees driving around the city trying to buy two iPhone 4 16 GB to give as gifts to my parents. Everywhere I get the same response "Suggest you line up outside the store early as possible as most people line up at 2 AM". While I love my parents and Apple products I don't have the time or money to spend waisting it camped out in front of a store. It's frustrating Apple hasn't been able to place additional pressure on Foxconn to meet orders of the carriers or at least have the brains to postpone their China launch until they sort out their stocking issues with existing carriers.
  • Reply 26 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Elian Gonzalez View Post

Consumer Reports must be furious.

Must have a yuan...for the IPhone 4 in China.
  • Reply 27 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

If I read this right AAPL will break $300 for the first time tomorrow.

Now, that is a distinct probability!

• Reply 28 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mac_dog View Post

the trolls on this site, too (newtron).

Don't worry, we can always count on Newtron and Blackintosh to find a negative to spin on any story, no matter how positive it is. That's their job. And I mean that literally.
  • Reply 29 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Don't worry, we can always count on Newtron and Blackintosh to find a negative to spin on any story, no matter how positive it is. That's their job. And I mean that literally.

Bless your heart. Even when I'm not here you think of me. Okay, I wouldn't want to disappoint you.

Does demand really outstrip supply or is Apple just a small potatoes company that is unable to execute? It's still 3 weeks before iPhone 4 ships in the US after all these months. And from what I read on the iTunes bug fix story, good luck getting your music to play on the "best iPod we've ever made."

Welcome to the big leagues Apple. Do you have what it takes to be a player?
  • Reply 30 of 85
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    . . .
  • Reply 31 of 85
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Thank the stars the Chinese don't read Ireland's posts or they'd think the iPhone 4 doesn't work!
  • Reply 32 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

Bless your heart. Even when I'm not here you think of me.

Can't avoid it, your stink is on the site.
  • Reply 33 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

I think Apple should really be serious about China. China's growth over the past few years is phenomenal. China is still up for grabs now. The most serious and aggressive company will win.

And not having a stupid pull out keyboard helps
  • Reply 34 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Can't avoid it, your stink is on the site.

If you added the troll to your ignore list those of us who have wouldn't have to see his rubbish in your posts. Do yourself a favor and everyone else and go to your ignore list and add this 'person'. Plus all his stupid aliases.

BTW I wish the mods would use an IP or even a MAC Address to ban him / her / it.
  • Reply 35 of 85
    Quote:

And which phones might those be? I didn't realize that there were counterfeit iPhones out there. I'd be interested in links so that I can check them out. (Not to buy, just to see if they do exist and really compare to the REAL iPhone)

just type in 'Chinese iPhone knockoff' into Google ... you'll get a hefty return of stories. But if this site allows links, I'll put in just one of the stories:

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-9...r-apple-2009-8

Hope this helps
  • Reply 36 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Now, that is a distinct probability!

Oh that would be nice . My guess is within a week or two to stay there, AAPL always bounces up and down on the way up.
  • Reply 37 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pennywse View Post

just type in 'Chinese iPhone knockoff' into Google ... you'll get a hefty return of stories. But if this site allows links, I'll put in just one of the stories:

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-9...r-apple-2009-8

Hope this helps

I suspect the Chinese will ultimately by enlarge want the genuine article. I have my doubts a knock off will really behave like the real thing. Remember the iPhone is not only vastly superior to the opposition (let alone fakes) it also has an eco system they cannot compete with.

I see you are new ... or are you?
  • Reply 38 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

Maybe you should start getting some intelligence.

Where does it say that "they [didn't] fill 200,00 orders? How do you know how many iPhones were sold? Nobody knows but Apple and I am sure they are not telling you.

As for the Chinese having had iPhones that blow the door off of Apples/AT&T phones; what phone is that?

... start getting some intelligence? I had a good laugh at that one. Trust me, I have enough to banter with the likes of you.

My comment was merely to point out that it's sad China has 1.3 billion peeps, yet struggle to fill even 200,000 orders. I was pointing out 200,000 orders seem low, when the phone has just hit the market. They should have had much more orders, but didn't because there have been black market knockoffs for years. Honestly, I think you did not understand the angle I was spinning the story.

Additionally, my post was about my OPINION, so just because you don't agree with it, doesn't mean I lack intelligence.

Oh and here is a link to just one of the knock-offs out there. There are more http://www.businessinsider.com/the-9...r-apple-2009-8
  • Reply 39 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I suspect the Chinese will ultimately by enlarge want the genuine article. I have my doubts a knock off will really behave like the real thing. Remember the iPhone is not only vastly superior to the opposition (let alone fakes) it also has an eco system they cannot compete with.

I see you are new ... or are you?

I have been trolling here for a bit (ahem, 6 months), but have not started to blog until recently as my low numbers would suggest.
  • Reply 40 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

Bless your heart. Even when I'm not here you think of me. Okay, I wouldn't want to disappoint you.

Does demand really outstrip supply or is Apple just a small potatoes company that is unable to execute? It's still 3 weeks before iPhone 4 ships in the US after all these months. And from what I read on the iTunes bug fix story, good luck getting your music to play on the "best iPod we've ever made."

Welcome to the big leagues Apple. Do you have what it takes to be a player?

One of your more ridiculous posts. You are losing your touch... or is it that you are touched... oh well whichever.