RIM unveils 7-inch 'PlayBook' tablet set to launch in early 2011

Comments

• Reply 261 of 411
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AIaddict View Post

... Apple does not advertise to overcome an inferior technical product. Apple focuses on the aspects of the products that matter to normal non-geek humans and sometimes that means technical specs are not important or are even a hinderence. ...

Personally I think Apple is missing the boat on iPad 1. If they add USB ports and HDMI to the next version they will significantly increase the potential utility of the device, and widen the audience. ...

I think you contradict yourself. No one but geek humans cares whether it has these things or not.
  • Reply 262 of 411
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

This is why I love community input! How about just shortening it and calling it a ProtoHype.

Well, that's basically what it amounts to.
  • Reply 263 of 411
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cgc0202 View Post

... If Apple is ever going to use this LiquidMetal, as casing material, rather than used for special parts, it is likely that Jon Ivy, would hide the novelty of such a material with a coat of color. ...

Well, I'm not really familiar with what LiquidMetal looks, or can look, like, but, hiding it would seem to contradict Mr. Ivy's design ethos.
  • Reply 264 of 411
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AIaddict View Post

Terrible terrible comparison. Bose consumer speakers sound like shit for what you pay for them. I have demoed $200 speakers against a $1200 Bose system and it was not even close in any way. Bose had poor bass quality, a significant gap of missing mid bass frequencies, muddy mids and less detail in the highs. Pure crap. They know it too, the licensed retailers are not allowed to put them in demo rooms where customers can do a side by side and the demo material they play on them has been specifically selected not to show the warts.

Apple does not advertise to overcome an inferior technical product. Apple focuses on the aspects of the products that matter to normal non-geek humans and sometimes that means technical specs are not important or are even a hinderence. Take the mega pixels of the camera as a perfect example. Apple chose a camera for the iPhone 4 that will give people a pleasent looking snapshot with little need to tweek settings. It has excellent low light capability for a phone camera, especially in video mode. To do this they needed larger pixels and therefore less of them. Sure the Evo has an 8 mp camera compared to the iPhones 5 mp, but the pictures look worse, and the videos look simply horrid. HTC got the technical specs, Apple got the part that matters to people, quality images and simple editing software.

Personally I think Apple is missing the boat on iPad 1. If they add USB ports and HDMI to the next version they will significantly increase the potential utility of the device, and widen the audience. Right now it can be a netbook/notebook replacement for many people, hence the success, but it also CAN'T be a replacement for many other people. USB ports are real cheap and would go a long way. Same for HDMI video out. A more portable 7" version would be pretty cool but I would not want them to drop the 10". As for processor speed and RAM and other specs, it needs to be fast enough and have enough RAM, but I don't care what those numbers are. Just make it work. You have to give them credit for launching a very successful first product but I hope version 2 incorporates the ideas from the soon to arrive competition, as well as the existing netbook competition, and then exceeds them. That is why this Playbook is good news. Apple can't just add some more RAM and speed up the processor for the 2011 iPad. They need to compete.

Good comments. My thought on HDMI is Apple are all about NOT having a direct wire connection (other than the dock when needed). So I see the ATV and wi-fi as their preferred connectivity solution. Fastening an iPad to a TV via a physical cable seems retro to me. It could be streaming a movie and I'd still be able to wander around and read an e-mail (I assume). Come to think of it I wouldn't need the iPad at all unless it was my own movie or slides ...
  • Reply 265 of 411
    Quote:

This is why I love community input! How about just shortening it and calling it a ProtoHype.

Or 'StockHype'.
  • Reply 266 of 411
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Just to add to your comment, questioning Apple's "paranoia" or "secrecy" (one of the keys to their success) at this point is like someone saying to Michael Phelps: "I know you keep winning gold medals, but I don't like it when you move your arms like that."

Interesting you should use Phelps in your comment seeing he is no longer the #1 swimmer in the world. Just goes to show that when you are #1 there is only one place to go.
  • Reply 267 of 411
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Interesting you should use Phelps in your comment seeing he is no longer the #1 swimmer in the world. Just goes to show that when you are #1 there is only one place to go.

Is there a rule somewhere that says for some, it can't go on for a really really, long time though?
  • Reply 268 of 411

Somewhere earlier in this thread. we discussed that it was too bad Apple and Adobe didn't get along, because Apple's iOS power management expertise could possibly help resolve the Flash battery drain issue...

If you do a search on:

QNX power management .

You will find that QNX has some bona fides in this area.

Then search for:

multicore arm cortex a9

and you will find that Samsung (manufacturer of Apple's A4 CPU) has one of the premier offerings

And if you follow a prior link you will see some of the steps Adobe is taking to address Flash Mobile performance:

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/f...ackberrytabos/

Put this all together:

-- an overkill RAM and CPU for a small tablet

-- an OS that appears to be a QNX/Flash hybrid

-- QNX power management chops

-- Flash app development tools

-- Availability of hardware components in production quantities

If they can make the stars align, we may have a platform that makes Mobile Flash an acceptable performer.

You can decide for yourselves whether that's a good thing or a bad thing

When, how well and how much "questions", still need to be answered -- but this could get interesting.

• Reply 269 of 411
    Quote:

I think we'll be seeing your name (picture) in the dictionary for coining that word...

My late, beloved wife, Lucy, coined the word "hornery"... but that's a story for another time...

• Reply 270 of 411
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Is there a rule somewhere that says for some, it can't go on for a really really, long time though?

Oh I'm just like that with Quadra because he is like a roach when you turn the lights on. He pops in says something stupid and then runs away back to Macrumors where he posts the same BS.

Members like him and Mouse like to cut and paste the one comment they don't like and take it out of context so it looks bad when most of this thread I have talked about how great the iPad is and how I use it daily, not to mention I have said in this thread several times I don't seem RIM touching the iPad.
  • Reply 271 of 411
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by manodrum View Post

So the Playbook is supposed to be able to display full 1080p?

Playbook resolution: 1024 x 600

1080p resolution: 1920 x 1080

Am I missing something?

The iPhone 4 can play 720p files. How does it fit on the screen???

Playback and display are two very different things. At least the PlayBook can output 1080p video through hdmi to be displayed on a TV. There is no possible way for the iPhone to output 720p video to a TV because it is limited to component cables. Hopefully AirPlay fixes this, but I'm still waiting on an HDMI dock for the iPhone/iPad. Anyone care to speculate on this? Is the dock connector incapable of transmitting HDMI video?
  • Reply 272 of 411
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Somewhere earlier in this thread. we discussed that it was too bad Apple and Adobe didn't get along, because Apple's iOS power management expertise could possibly help resolve the Flash battery drain issue...

If you do a search on:

QNX power management .

You will find that QNX has some bona fides in this area.

Then search for:

multicore arm cortex a9

and you will find that Samsung (manufacturer of Apple's A4 CPU) has one of the premier offerings

And if you follow a prior link you will see some of the steps Adobe is taking to address Flash Mobile performance:

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/f...ackberrytabos/

Put this all together:

-- an overkill RAM and CPU for a small tablet

-- an OS that appears to be a QNX/Flash hybrid

-- QNX power management chops

-- Flash app development tools

-- Availability of hardware components in production quantities

If they can make the stars align, we may have a platform that makes Mobile Flash an acceptable performer.

When, how well and how much "questions", still need to be answered -- but this could get interesting.

We were talking about this last night and I started to read about this further on another site. Which like you found alot of this started to make more sense. Also information about it using QNX and the BlackBerry OS 6 currently found on the new Torch.

What I was also reading which led me to believe this is going to be driven more for corporate use or IT use is its suppose to link to your Blackberry so you can display anything from your BB onto our Playbook without saving the data for security reasons.

So it looks like the only real way to take full advantage of what this Playbook has to offer is to also own a BB. Which is kind of interesting on some level BB going that way because that is what Apple does, tries to get you to buy into their entire ecosystem.
  • Reply 273 of 411
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hiro View Post

You are missing that one by a mile. It is those ads that made the iPod white earbuds and cord iconic. The ads played off the high contrast making the most important element, the iPod stand out the most. It never needed to be big, actually being small but still the most visible element reinforces the ease of using it. The rest of the ad told the story of how deeply affected the person in the ad was by what was coming out of that iPod.

The iPod was always about the content, not the specs, not the device. That's why the product and marketing were so brilliant and no other player ever got close to making a reasonable competitor. They all thought it was the device, not the story about the content and what you can do with your content and those white earbuds.

Oh good grief. That's just the point. Iconic is not even remotely the same as talking about or demonstrating the product's features. You (and others) have apparently missed that none of Apple's product ads are about specs. Those iPod ads in particular, tell you nothing whatsoever about how the product works. They are all about communicating music and fun. As much as anything else, they market lifestyle. It's a mystery to me how anyone can object even slightly when RIM tries to do the same thing. FWIW, I doubt they'll be able do it nearly as well as Apple, but I can't get angry at them for trying.
  • Reply 274 of 411
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

... If they can make the stars align, we may have a platform that makes Mobile Flash an acceptable performer.

A very big if. Frankly, I don't think this particular tablet is going to be a big success. I think, at most, it will achieve niche status with some hardcore Blackberry shops, who want everything RIM. (The kind of mentality that until recently, when it became impossible, wanted to buy everything from IBM.) Unfortunately, I think RIM is kind of in the same boat as Nokia, adrift, without navigational aids.
  • Reply 275 of 411
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Oh I'm just like that with Quadra because he is like a roach when you turn the lights on. He pops in says something stupid and then runs away back to Macrumors where he posts the same BS.

Members like him and Mouse like to cut and paste the one comment they don't like and take it out of context so it looks bad when most of this thread I have talked about how great the iPad is and how I use it daily, not to mention I have said in this thread several times I don't seem RIM touching the iPad.

I was just trying to be funny there, not deep ... and meant no disrespect on you any other poster. Actually, being serious for a moment, I just need Apple to be #1 till I sell my stock and retire then my bias may wain (Nooo not really).
  • Reply 276 of 411
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wonder View Post

The iPhone 4 has 16Gb or 32Gb of RAM NOT 512MB.

The PlayBook only has 1GB or on board storage.

RAM and Flash storage are not the same thing, don't mix them up. All my computers in my home don't have 16GB of RAM combined.

The iPad has 256 MB of RAM.

The iPhone 4 has 512 MB of RAM.

The iPod Touch has 256 MB of RAM.

The RIM PlayBook will have 1 GB of RAM and if I was a betting man I'd wager that the iPad 2 will feature 1 GB of RAM as well and launch in a similar timeframe.
  • Reply 277 of 411
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Dude, you're stretching here These are ads which, IIRC, ran after the iPod itself was introduced and demoed. It wasn't a product introduction.

When they ran is totally irrelevant to anything I am saying. This RIM video so many seems to think is completely objectionable is nothing more than an ad. Ads are created to get people interested in products. The appeal is not intellectual. Everybody does it.

That's it. Very simple. Full stop, end of story.
  • Reply 278 of 411
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samwight View Post

It is far from exactly what Apple does:

1) Apple demoed the product, and gave hands-on access on the same day. RIM didn't even show a live movie of the thing in actual use.

2) Apple gave a price.

3) Apple gave battery life.

4) Apple specified shipping in < 3 months; RIM 3 to 8 months, and considering the absence of a demo, the longer time is more likely.

5) When Apple announced the ipad, there were no other similar tablets in the wild. RIM is announcing a me-too product.

Other than that, exactly the same.

(Apple announced the iphone 6 months before it shipped, but they had to apply for operating permits ahead of time, and that would have let the cat out, and again, it had essentially no competition when it was released, and again, a live demo, price, battery life, and shipping month were given on the day of the announcement.)

Fine, but totally irrelevant to any point I've actually made. Maybe you intended to respond to someone else, I don't know.
  • Reply 279 of 411
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cy_starkman View Post

How are the specs impressive?

They are the standard specs from, what, early this year maybe.

Those may become the standard specs early next year, when this launches but they aren't now, and definitely weren't early this year. Standard specs right now include a single core A8, not a dual core A9.
  • Reply 280 of 411
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

Nice reply, too bad it had nothing to do with the post you were replying to. If you follow the "trail" you will see he wanted you to elaborate on your statement that Apple,with regards to using fake videos, "do it all the time". Better luck next time.

No, you missed it. I clearly said was I not accusing anyone of "fake" videos. Not RIM, not Apple, not anybody. Better luck to you next time.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

And we challenge you to back up your claim that Apple use fake videos all the time. .... still waiting. I'll check in tomorrow and see what you come up with.

I don't have to back up a claim I never made. Read back, this will be clear since it was stated in plain language.