Apple issues betas of iOS 4.2, iTunes 10.1 to developers

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple Tuesday evening supplied developers with the latest betas of two major upcoming software releases, with iOS 4.2 and iTunes 10.1 available for testing.



Tuesday's release of iOS 4.2 marks the second beta of the software update, due for a public release in November. It is available for the iPad, iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 3G, and second-, third- and fourth-generation iPod touch.



People familiar with the latest iOS beta said it is known as 8C5101c.



The first beta of iOS 4.2 was release earlier this month, and marked the debut of AirPrint, Apple's new wireless printing standard for the iPad, iPhone and iPod touch. AirPrint will allow iOS device users to print to a shared printer connected to a PC or Mac, or directly to some printers that are compatible with the format.



The previous beta also packed a number of small fixes, including improvements to YouTube and FaceTime. Its release in November will also be the first time iPad owners have had access to the iOS 4 features iPhone and iPod touch users already enjoy, including multitasking and home screen folders.



A beta of iTunes 10.1 was also issued for testing Tuesday, and people familiar with the build said it also supports printing. Just this past weekend, iTunes 10.0.1 was publicly released, bringing improvements to Ping.
«13

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 43
    First an awesome remote application and now an updated iOS 4.2 beta and a new iTunes 10.1. It must be Christmas in September.



    Go Apple, go go go...
  • Reply 2 of 43
    The boys in Cupertino have been busy lately. I've downloaded the new beta, but I haven't noticed anything new/different, yet.
  • Reply 3 of 43
    Yes, but it this update going to do anything for the millions of 2-g iPod touch users who got a few cosmetic features with iOS 4 (screen folders), but also got stuck with a heavy battery drain and often sluggish response time. My iPhone 3g, still running iOS 3 but with a chip that 100 MHz slower, is now faster than my touch.



    If Apple isn't going to 'fix' iOS 4 for iPhone 3G and 2g iPod touch users, why do they claim it's for them? Is all this trouble because iBooks only runs under iOS 4 and Apple wants to sell a few more ebooks?



    And how about finally creating Bluetooth keyboard drivers for them? Years ago, Palm PDAs with a tenth the CPU horsepower of a 3G or 2g touch worked fine with Bluetooth keyboards.
  • Reply 4 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Inkling View Post


    Yes, but it this update going to do anything for the millions of 2-g iPod touch users who got a few cosmetic features with iOS 4 (screen folders), but also got stuck with a heavy battery drain and often sluggish response time.



    4.2 B2 seems even faster on my 3G but it's hard to say with a fresh install/reboot.
  • Reply 5 of 43
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,153member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post


    The boys in Cupertino have been busy lately. I've downloaded the new beta, but I haven't noticed anything new/different, yet.



    New iPad app switching animation and MobileMe email push fixed. There are many under the hood improvements.
  • Reply 6 of 43
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    MobileMe setup crashes on the iPad. Anyone else?
  • Reply 7 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Inkling View Post


    Yes, but it this update going to do anything for the millions of 2-g iPod touch users who got a few cosmetic features with iOS 4 (screen folders), but also got stuck with a heavy battery drain and often sluggish response time. My iPhone 3g, still running iOS 3 but with a chip that 100 MHz slower, is now faster than my touch.



    If Apple isn't going to 'fix' iOS 4 for iPhone 3G and 2g iPod touch users, why do they claim it's for them? Is all this trouble because iBooks only runs under iOS 4 and Apple wants to sell a few more ebooks?



    And how about finally creating Bluetooth keyboard drivers for them? Years ago, Palm PDAs with a tenth the CPU horsepower of a 3G or 2g touch worked fine with Bluetooth keyboards.



    No they are not. Because they just don't care about performance and especially about the performance you personally are getting. In fact, they do it on purpose just to screw you over and they are laughing at you as well.



    You have to realise that Apple is just a slap dash outfit that doesn't care about quality at all. They just push out whatever crap and probably don't even test it. All they care about you see, is making money and if the customers get a bad deal, so what?



    It actually pleases them if they make bad products. You might call them stupid but they get such a charge out of fooling everyone into thinking they care about quality and performance that they feel losing thousands of customers is worth the chuckles around the lunch table at Apple.
  • Reply 8 of 43
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 12,756member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Inkling View Post


    Yes, but it this update going to do anything for the millions of 2-g iPod touch users who got a few cosmetic features with iOS 4 (screen folders), but also got stuck with a heavy battery drain and often sluggish response time. My iPhone 3g, still running iOS 3 but with a chip that 100 MHz slower, is now faster than my touch.



    If Apple isn't going to 'fix' iOS 4 for iPhone 3G and 2g iPod touch users, why do they claim it's for them? Is all this trouble because iBooks only runs under iOS 4 and Apple wants to sell a few more ebooks?



    And how about finally creating Bluetooth keyboard drivers for them? Years ago, Palm PDAs with a tenth the CPU horsepower of a 3G or 2g touch worked fine with Bluetooth keyboards.



    The latest iOS isn't to bad on my iPhone 3G. But honestly what the hell do you expect? Your hardware is old.



    Dave
  • Reply 9 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    A beta of iTunes 10.1 was also issued for testing Tuesday, and people familiar with the build said it also supports printing.



    Does this mean that air print (for windows machines) is built into itunes? Last I checked, (and I just did) I already HAVE the option to print in iTunes.
  • Reply 10 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kohelet View Post


    Does this mean that air print (for windows machines) is built into itunes? Last I checked, (and I just did) I already HAVE the option to print in iTunes.



    I would assume so.



    For me, this is what's finally triggered my "OMFG JUST SPLIT ITUNES UP ALREADY!!!" response.
  • Reply 11 of 43
    Any sign that you can print through an airport extreme?



    On my network I print to a printer using USB on my airport extreme. Connecting the printer to a networked computer makes no sense. You would have to have the computer on line to print from another computer.
  • Reply 12 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Inkling View Post


    Yes, but it this update going to do anything for the millions of 2-g iPod touch users who got a few cosmetic features with iOS 4 (screen folders), but also got stuck with a heavy battery drain and often sluggish response time. My iPhone 3g, still running iOS 3 but with a chip that 100 MHz slower, is now faster than my touch.



    If Apple isn't going to 'fix' iOS 4 for iPhone 3G and 2g iPod touch users, why do they claim it's for them? Is all this trouble because iBooks only runs under iOS 4 and Apple wants to sell a few more ebooks?



    And how about finally creating Bluetooth keyboard drivers for them? Years ago, Palm PDAs with a tenth the CPU horsepower of a 3G or 2g touch worked fine with Bluetooth keyboards.



    Be thankful that Apple even provides updates for older products. Maybe the updates aren't always perfect but Apple will get the bugs out like they always do. Think and compare before complaining too much, HOW many Android products being sold as new today aren't even able to run the latest version of Android? \
  • Reply 13 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jwilcox;


    Any sign that you can print through an airport extreme?



    On my network I print to a printer using USB on my airport extreme. Connecting the printer to a networked computer makes no sense. You would have to have the computer on line to print from another computer.



    It should work. AFAIK iPad/iPhone will print to any Bonjour connected printers on the network. So if another computer can see the printer through Airport then iPad/iPhone should be able to print straight to it without needing a computer on.
  • Reply 14 of 43
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,153member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post


    It should work. AFAIK iPad/iPhone will print to any Bonjour connected printers on the network. So if another computer can see the printer through Airport then iPad/iPhone should be able to print straight to it without needing a computer on.



    Actually AirPrint will only work with printers that support AirPrint or a printer shared through a Mac or PC. It will not work with printers connected to your Airport Extreme Base or Time Capsule unless the printed is AirPrint Capable. Hopefully this will change in the future.
  • Reply 15 of 43
    iTunes still 32bit....



  • Reply 16 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post


    No they are not. Because they just don't care about performance and especially about the performance you personally are getting. In fact, they do it on purpose just to screw you over and they are laughing at you as well.



    You have to realise that Apple is just a slap dash outfit that doesn't care about quality at all. They just push out whatever crap and probably don't even test it. All they care about you see, is making money and if the customers get a bad deal, so what?



    It actually pleases them if they make bad products. You might call them stupid but they get such a charge out of fooling everyone into thinking they care about quality and performance that they feel losing thousands of customers is worth the chuckles around the lunch table at Apple.



    I catch your drift Your not English by any chance?
  • Reply 17 of 43
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,660member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pinolo View Post


    iTunes still 32bit....







    Um, did you expect them to make the jump to 64 bit on a point release?
  • Reply 18 of 43
    I hope in a better iPhone battery management system \
  • Reply 19 of 43
    Is the Genius sidebar back in iTunes? At least as an option? Are the coloured icons back?
  • Reply 20 of 43
    oomuoomu Posts: 128member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noirdesir View Post


    Is the Genius sidebar back in iTunes? At least as an option? Are the coloured icons back?



    Nothing change AT ALL. Just air printing
Sign In or Register to comment.