Apple shows continued interest in expanded cloud data syncing

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Future mobile devices from Apple could sync and save large amounts of data over the Internet, allowing future access to information when an Internet connection is no longer available and removing the need to tether to a PC.

Apple's continued interest in expanding its cloud-based sync capabilities were demonstrate with a new patent application revealed this week, entitled "Configurable Offline Data Store." The invention, filed with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office on June 14, 2010, would synchronize data for offline use when an Internet connection is not available.

It describes a system that would allow users to access content from a remote computer or server, but also save that information locally for use when an Internet connection is not available. The application also notes that users may want to disable their Internet because constant syncing and updating may result in poor performance.

It describes individual applications that would be able to access this cloud-stored data, dubbed "savvy applications." These are distinguished from "non-savvy applications," which would not have access to the remote data.

The smart syncing system would predetermine which data might be "reasonably requested" when the two machines are reconnected, having it queued an ready to go immediately. The system would also allow for other "requested records," which would occur when changes are made to lesser-used files.

Current mobile devices from Apple like the iPhone have a number of options for users to sync basic data, such as iPhone contacts, with Internet-based services. But the company is also said to be interested in offering a cloud-based streaming service for purchased iTunes content, like music and movies.

But Apple's latest patent application would allow such data to be stored locally, and synced from anywhere with an Internet connection, rather than on a local network or via a USB cable.

Such a feature could also be used with Apple's App Store, where software downloads greater than 20MB in size are not allowed over cellular data networks. When on a 3G network, the client-side machine -- an iPhone or iPad -- could save an intended download for later, when it can be obtained over a Wi-Fi network.

For more on Apple's ambitions in the cloud, see other related patent applications published this year:

Apple aiming to improve syncing, sorting of cloud-based content

Apple investigating cloud-based media syncing, tagging on the go

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36
    If Apple is stumped as to what new features OSXI should have, this is it.

1) Incremental File System (ZFS, or another alternative)

2) OS Wide Online Data Sync

3) Offline Storage for when the internet is not available
  • Reply 2 of 36
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Future mobile devices from Apple could sync large amounts of data over the Internet, allowing access to information when an Internet connection is no longer available ...

Confused

If the net isn't available how do I sync over the net?
  • Reply 3 of 36
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    I really don’t like the way idevices are sync with itunes through a PC. They need to make the idevice independent from a PC itunes so we don’t have problems like wiping a device off because you sync it on a friend Pc. People could also have idevices without having a Pc at all.

The syncing from a particular PC with a particular itune account add lots of overhead that complicated things. Let us sync straight from the net when on wifi and free us from being link to a PC.

I mean full sync here, with software patch. Device backup could be done over the net (like let us have a few gigs with our itune accounts so we can make device backups on the net) If we could have our content data (songs, movies, ...) on the net, that would indeed complety free us from local PC and at the same time free us of files management. I hope there new data center in NC will help change there model.

What I like about "cloud" data is if they sell 10000 times the same song, they dont need to have that many copies of it on there data center they could have just one file and allow just the people who own it for syncing.
  • Reply 4 of 36
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    I don't see why this isn't already happening?

All they have to do is add programming into iTunes to create a list of all your content, store that file in the "Cloud" and offer playback of your content via 3G or WiFi via the internet. Seems like a simple way to listen to your content, for free over the cloud...
  • Reply 5 of 36
    Memo to Apple: Just buy Dropbox, and be done with it.
  • Reply 6 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

I don't see why this isn't already happening?

All they have to do is add programming into iTunes to create a list of all your content, store that file in the "Cloud" and offer playback of your content via 3G or WiFi via the internet. Seems like a simple way to listen to your content, for free over the cloud...

thats easier said than done. With the volume of clients they have they need one hell of a data center link to insane telecom lines. This is why they are building one and cant offer this until this is done.
  • Reply 7 of 36
    Why, when you have the glorious "MobileME"?and charge people to do what Dropbox does?

Yes, MobileMe is great if you are 100% part of the Apple Ecosystem, or just own a MBP and iPhone/Pad/Touch. But to charge for what most sharing sites do for free is a little bit of a back-step to me.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

• Reply 8 of 36
    At a cost i presume Plus this magical Apple cloud will be subject to the same crappy 3G or Wireless network lags you get anywhere else, unless Apple intents to scour the world with their own networks, with it's own bandwidths.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

thats easier said than done. With the volume of clients they have they need one hell of a data center link to insane telecom lines. This is why they are building one and cant offer this until this is done.

• Reply 9 of 36
    Quote:

At a cost i presume

how exactly are dropbox making money btw? Nothing is free. Of course you need some kind of revenu from it. They could have an iAd business model that reduce the cost or a ad free service with some cost. They could also offer the first few gigs for free and charge for extra, like dropbox is doing.

For a complety net syncing of idevices your going to need more than a few gigs per itunes account.
  • Reply 10 of 36
    Quote:

yes. people would like to have access to data if network is down? what an idea!

novell should have kicked ass with ifolder but they let another one run into the ground and go nowhere. at least they open sourced it.
  • Reply 11 of 36
    Quote:

Why, when you have the glorious "MobileME"?and charge people to do what Dropbox does?

Yes, MobileMe is great if you are 100% part of the Apple Ecosystem, or just own a MBP and iPhone/Pad/Touch. But to charge for what most sharing sites do for free is a little bit of a back-step to me.

I think you miss his point. I don?t think he?s suggesting Apple get rid of MobileMe in favour of Dropbox. MobileMe has many, many services and Dropbox is just storage like iDisk, but that is where the similarity ends. It?s the way Dropbox works that is what makes it great. Apple has nothing like this.
  • Reply 12 of 36
    That may be the case. And yes, I understand Dropbox makes money in some way, either Ads or their paid version. Like social networking meets file storage in a way. I've only used that aspect of Dropbox, trading music/files or whatever.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I think you miss his point. I don?t think he?s suggesting Apple get rid of MobileMe in favour of Dropbox. MobileMe has many, many services and Dropbox is just storage like iDisk, but that is where the similarity ends. It?s the way Dropbox works that is what makes it great. Apple has nothing like this.

• Reply 13 of 36
    It is not just Dropbox. Windows Live Sync (formerly mesh) does a better job than Mobile Me iDisk as well.
  • Reply 14 of 36
    Wouldn't mind seeing Apple get into the Mozy Carbonite arena with online backups. I've had trouble with Mozy so I would welcome an iBackup, push button simple, integrated into the OS and just works.

Don't know how big their server farm is, if there is room to get into the backup business along with all the iTunes content they have to store.
  • Reply 15 of 36
    Quote:

That may be the case. And yes, I understand Dropbox makes money in some way, either Ads or their paid version. Like social networking meets file storage in a way. I've only used that aspect of Dropbox, trading music/files or whatever.

Based on your initial reply you seem to think that the aspects of Db that make it so useful can't be added to MM. I'm not sure if it's Db tech or Amazon's S3 tech that makes it work the way it does, but Apple already uses a similar tech with Time Machine.

Apple isn't one to inplement tech in parts. They still want to do it all at once in some grand event so if they do plan to change the way iDisk works they may wait until this data center is fully operational before making the change.
  • Reply 16 of 36
    Honestly, i'm not sure where all these thoughts originated. I was responding to the notion that Apple should do a buy-out with Dropbox. Which, if they did that, they would probably make it a sole-pay element, or just envelope it into MobileMe. Which, we've already agreed that MobileMe does mostly what Dropbox does, sure you could add that tech to MobileMe and Apple would be better for it. I never said it couldn't be added. My argument is really based on the notion that current users of the virtually free-version of Dropbox, like me, would probably not continue the service is it wasn't free.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Based on your initial reply you seem to think that the aspects of Db that make it so useful can't be added to MM. I'm not sure if it's Db tech or Amazon's S3 tech that makes it work the way it does, but Apple already uses a similar tech with Time Machine.

Apple isn't one to inplement tech in parts. They still want to do it all at once in some grand event so if they do plan to change the way iDisk works they may wait until this data center is fully operational before making the change.

• Reply 17 of 36
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    Quote:

Yes. I bought Dropbox to replicate the iDisk features I wanted except that they work reliably and fast.

If Apple are going to do more syncing then they need to find someone to teach them how to do it right.
  • Reply 18 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post

Confused

If the net isn't available how do I sync over the net?

Bastard. I was just about to post the same question.
  • Reply 19 of 36
    I'm not sure what all of the complaints are against MM. The server farm is going to be built and MM updates are not long coming as this article points out. As it stands now, I wouldn't go without it.

I mean, find my iphone, mail, Calender, contacts, bookmarks synch and MM backup. They all work well for me. Drop box isn't that impressive compared to MM. Do the naysayers have or ever had a MM account?

The biggest stop gap is the bandwidth issue. If we expect to backup all of our stuff forget it. I mean at least for me. Synching the current stuff I'm working on is great, but everything? Further I notice significant performance improvement on better internet service.

Finally, you can stream your music and videos from idisk. You better have a decent connection, but it works fine.

Just my opinion.
  • Reply 20 of 36
    Why can't they just keep a list of all purchases from iTunes like music, videos, apps, etc. and then just backup (sync) data, photos, email, etc. from the iDevice. They would then keep a list of what purchased items you keep on your device and they could restore a device by reloading the purchased items from itunes and the data from the backup. That way all you need to sync is the changes to data, photos, emails, etc. and not store the iFart app 10 million times in 10 million different users sync files.