Google Android closes gap with Apple iPhone in consumer interest

Comments

• Reply 61 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post

So the iPhone 4 is more popular than all Android phones put together? Isn't that kind of not saying much for any particular Android phone?

No it isn't saying anything because what needs to be compared is iOS growth and Android grown not hardware vs an OS.

With that being said Android is also gaining on iOS which includes the Touch and iPad. People here talk about iOS growth well Androids growth was 886%. Sorry that just can't be ignored if that number is even remotely close.
  • Reply 62 of 92
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

With that being said Android is also gaining on iOS which includes the Touch and iPad. People here talk about iOS growth well Androids growth was 886%. Sorry that just can't be ignored if that number is even remotely close.

Hmm. You're talking about fanboy here but you sure just act like one.
  • Reply 63 of 92
    capnbobcapnbob Posts: 388member
    Quote:

No it isn't saying anything because what needs to be compared is iOS growth and Android grown not hardware vs an OS.

Apple has no intention of taking any more than 25% of the smartphone market once everything calms down and everyone has one. All Apple cares about is that it takes its 25% of the market at the top-end.

If you look at PCs 20% (Apple and the hi-end of HP and Dell) of the market captures about 65% of the available profit with all the others fighting for the rest.

Android can grow all it likes as long as most of it is at the lower end of the market - which it is. There are no 10s of millions of sales for the expensive Android phones and they often don't stay expensive for long. The only market dominance Apple really wants is 70-80% of the high end.
  • Reply 64 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

In Europe the average person has never heard of Android.

Excuse the pun, but you're comparing apples with oranges.

Here in London, ok it's not really Europe, with hot and cold running water, 3G (and no CDMA!), consumers who go into Carphone Warehouse think hardware - iPhone, Samsung, HTC etc.

The OS is rarely mentioned - which favours iPhone - what's more important is can I get on to Facebook or does it come in pink.

The men in suits, who already have corporate BBs, buy iPhone because their mates have one, they know someone in IT who will provision their work email account, and because when they enter a meeting room they can slide one hardware button and the device goes to silent. Not so with Android. The killer enterprise feature?
  • Reply 65 of 92
    0yvind0yvind Posts: 55member
    For the record: This world-wide OS stat from Netstat shows the September web share of ALL os'es worldwide. Unsurprisingly Windows is still king of the hill, but mobile OS'es are growing.

http://marketshare.hitslink.com/oper...e.aspx?qprid=8 (Use the back arrow up left to see August stats.)

September: Mac: 5.03% (+ 0.3 from August), iOS: 1.18% (+0.5). Android still with "Other" at 0.24% (+ 0.4). So a bit slower monthwise than iOS - they certainly will have to show a stronger growth to overtake iOS in worldwide installed base. (To see the mobile OS'es only requires a subscription, which I don't have)
  • Reply 66 of 92
    2012 contract or not, if Apple doesn't get out of this exclusivity deal in the next few months it's going to go down as one of the greatest blunders in the history of blown opportunities.

It's a real shame, since it's obvious they put so much work into it, to see others copy so many of their ideas and profit from them. To the point of perhaps becoming the dominant force in mobile. This despite far less innovation and polish.
  • Reply 67 of 92
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

In Europe the average person has never heard of Android.

Maybe they are too busy driving concrete mixers into government buildings?
  • Reply 68 of 92
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,864member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

No, extremeskater is not a fanboy, just an angry hater.
  • Reply 69 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

No, extremeskater is not a fanboy, just an angry hater.

Mouse just for once try and act like an adult.
  • Reply 70 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

Has nothing to do with being a fanboy Android growth is fact. In fact it was an article here on AI and many other sites. Its not really a secret.
  • Reply 71 of 92
    asianbobasianbob Posts: 797member
    Quote:

What does that have to do with this thread?

Absolutely nothing. It's just a certain someone (you know who you are) trying to steer a decent thread back into "lets drag the competition through the mud" mode.
  • Reply 72 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Ok, but the iPhone's only on one network.

But is this data for only the US or across the world? I've looked at the actual article and I don't see it said anywhere. Unless I missed it.
  • Reply 73 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by urbanleopard View Post

[snip] because when they enter a meeting room they can slide one hardware button and the device goes to silent. Not so with Android. The killer enterprise feature?

A lot of Android phones have the ability to go into silent mode when it's put screen down.

I know the HTC phones changed the lock screen, but many OEMs that have kept it similar to the stock Android screen have a second slider that you swipe from right to left that will put the phone in vibrate mode.
  • Reply 74 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

A lot of Android phones have the ability to go into silent mode when it's put screen down.

I know the HTC phones changed the lock screen, but many OEMs that have kept it similar to the stock Android screen have a second slider that you swipe from right to left that will put the phone in vibrate mode.

You are correct. With my Evo instead of moving the slider down you slide up and it goes into slient mode.
  • Reply 75 of 92
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shadash View Post

Where are all the people on the forum that are 100% sure that Apple doesn't need Verizon?

I don't think they need Verizon. Would it hurt? Heck no. But if Verizon won't drop their attempt to control and suckify their phones then don't expect Apple to ever partner with them with the iPhone.

A friend who was going on and on about how he would never get an iPhone, Android this, Android that, Verizon rules, others suck, etc. blew me away tonight when he started asking me questions about the iPhone and some apps. Between the apps he wants, and Verizon customer service pissing him off for the last time, he decided that the carrier doesn't mean that much after all and that the whole ecosystem of the iPhone is far more valuable.

And the longer Verizon delays, the more people are going to figure that out and the less relevant Verizon will remain. I haven't seen the latest quarterly numbers, but I don't think there has been a quarter since AT&T got the iPhone that Verizon has added more subscribers than AT&T. If Apple offers the iPhone on TMobile (and why wouldn't they) and even Sprint, then any negotiating power Verizon may think they have will be pretty much out the window and I think we might actually see them start to go backwards - stall out in adds for sure.

All the public posturing won't mean squat. I don't think any of this is lost on Verizon or Apple. I think Verizon actually deluded themselves into thinking that they could cause Apple to blink within the first five years. Ha!
  • Reply 76 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shadash View Post

But we're talking about a market Apple could have dominated.

Could have?

• Reply 77 of 92
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

Could have?

Looks to me like they have taken nearly half the profits with only a few years in this market, yet everyone else struggling to sell handsets have been around for considerably longer.
  • Reply 78 of 92
    I don't get why people are pulling the "one phone vs. 20 phones" argument on this particular article. The article wasn't about market share, or distribution of phones. It was strictly about consumer's preference. The report shows that customers lost interest in the iPhone from the previous report.
  • Reply 79 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

You have zero clue about how academics works. You really should stop making points that make no sense.

You want him to stop posting?
  • Reply 80 of 92
    shadashshadash Posts: 470member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

Could have?

Call me when iOS is growing anywhere close to the rate Android is.