Google looks to upstage Apple with new Google TV content teasers

Comments

• Reply 41 of 129
    doroteadorotea Posts: 323member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

My personal bet is that Apple will think things through better than Google, and not just throw spaghetti at the wall and call it beta.

But time will tell.

I read a while back on gruber's daringfireball.net something to the effect that if something is free, you are not the customer... You are more likely to be the product.

Google's business is information that it can sell to companies. Google tv along with search, google mail, and Android are products which collect information about you. It is likely that the more you use Google the bigger profile it has on you.

If you buy into google tv make sure you realize a lot of information is collected on you. In my opinion google is Big Brother in disguise. I use search, but that is it.
  • Reply 42 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

Okay I'll rephrase what I said. "For me" Google TV is better.

The big problem I see with awarding Google tv better right now is all we have seen is software specs. We will have to wait to see what hardware Logitech and Sony have in store for us. Most likely Logitech's will be cheaply made and limited hardware wise. Sony will probably come out with good specs but put a heavy price tag on it. Either way the hardware will get splintered just like what's happened to android phones, and they will end up competing with each other.

Until I see software and hardware working nicely together I will reserve my judgement.
  • Reply 43 of 129
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

GTV streams Netflix and Amazon Video On Demand, and numerous TV channels and Sports (for now only NBA I think) via apps - others coming soon I'm sure.

Full features here:

http://www.google.com/tv/features.html

:later.

But does it stream YOUR movies. Note the emphasis.

I have 350+ digitized movies in my library, complete with poster art. I never have to futz with DVDs. AppleTV serves these up nicely. Another poster here says that GoogleTV has its own version of AirPlay, but I'm wondering whether it really has it yet, or whether it's all just potential.

Thompson
  • Reply 44 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

GTV streams Netflix and Amazon Video On Demand, and numerous TV channels and Sports (for now only NBA I think) via apps - others coming soon I'm sure.

Full current features here:

http://www.google.com/tv/features.html

:later.

Your movies

As in the movies you already own in itunes or wherever

Edit: you beat me too it.

Also, the nba thing is just a score checker not live games from what I can see. Any smartphone or laptop can handle that one.
  • Reply 45 of 129
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bcahill009 View Post

The big problem I see with awarding Google tv better right now is all we have seen is software specs. We will have to wait to see what hardware Logitech and Sony have in store for us. Most likely Logitech's will be cheaply made and limited hardware wise. Sony will probably come out with good specs but put a heavy price tag on it. Either way the hardware will get splintered just like what's happened to android phones, and they will end up competing with each other.

Until I see software and hardware working nicely together I will reserve my judgement.

He doesn't get it. Apparently future tech announcements (and we all know how solid and glitch free they are, and that they are never vapourware). should be judged on the same basis as currently functioning devices and software...

Like I said, this has been the typical way anyone purports superiority over apple for a very long time, it's the "yeah but ms will have" (fill in, courrier, winfs, windows 7 mobile...) "in X time and look at all the great feature it will have", but instead of ms it's google who've taken ms's modus operandi. Announce as much as you can and make mock ups out of anything you dream, and who cares if you ultimately ship a shit product, or nothing at all for that matter.
  • Reply 46 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CIM View Post

Lame.

haters gonna hate.

looks awesome!
  • Reply 47 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dorotea View Post

I read a while back on gruber's daringfireball.net something to the effect that if something is free, you are not the customer... You are more likely to be the product.

Google's business is information that it can sell to companies. Google tv along with search, google mail, and Android are products which collect information about you. It is likely that the more you use Google the bigger profile it has on you.

If you buy into google tv make sure you realize a lot of information is collected on you. In my opinion google is Big Brother in disguise. I use search, but that is it.

Here's something even more scary-- also through Gruber (emphasis, mine):

Quote:

The end of the interview turned to the future of technology. When Bennet asked about the possibility of a Google "implant," Schmidt invoked what the company calls the "creepy line."

"Google policy is to get right up to the creepy line and not cross it," he said. Google implants, he added, probably crosses that line.

At the same time, Schmidt envisions a future where we embrace a larger role for machines and technology. "With your permission you give us more information about you, about your friends, and we can improve the quality of our searches," he said. "We don't need you to type at all. We know where you are. We know where you've been. We can more or less now what you're thinking about."

http://www.theatlantic.com/technolog...bbyists/63908/

This almost sounds like cyber-stalking!

I use search engines, web applications other than Google wherever I can!

• Reply 48 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

GoogleTV already exists! Its just not available for consumers yet. There have been GoogleTV demos already.

This forum has a much higher average intelligence and lower troll tolerance than other apple sites such as the garbage that passes off as discussion at the lamentable macrumors forums. So I will stoop one last time to answer this, and let's end it here, and you can say anything you want about google tv then: Services and products are judged not based on specs or how they run in a demo but in actual usage. I feel silly even having to point this out. The greatest demo on the globe, the one that will run and answer the god, universe, and afterlife questions can't be compared with even a fart app simply by virtue of it not being available to use. It can be exciting -and you sound as excited for gtv as you would for the aforementioned demo- to know of such a forthcoming product to some, it can be uninteresting to others how are more aware of the difference between demo and actual product, but open to comparison to an existing product and service it's not. As soon as it ships and people use we will be able to compare.
  • Reply 49 of 129
    juandljuandl Posts: 230member
    There will be no way Apple will be able to compete with Google with all the Content. Most of the Networks will literally bend over backwards to help Google in this regards.

Won't really matter because Apple will make more money of their $99.00 box than Google will (if they make any at all).

As far as the Content. No one really trusts Apple. They are so afraid that they will do to T.V. con-

tent the same as they did for Music,(or better yet what they think Apple did. They seem to forget that Apple was selling music for them).

Jobs probably realized it when even Disney was hesitant in providing current stuff that all of us really want from these Boxes.

It would have been a great success even if all the 4 Networks would have provided next day shows

along with the advertisements.

But because nobody wanted to go this route with the Big Bad Apple, we have now what appears to be a very crippled AppleTV. But think about it. Who would be playing who if the following happens.

Everyone seems to have noticed how easy it seems to be to JailBreak the ATV. I believe that it was made like that on purpose.

Once this starts to happen, and all the JailBreaks lets loose of Medusa's Box and all the Content

starts flowing out for free. The Networks will start lining up outside Apple's door. "Steve. You have to figure out a way to put some DRM or something to help us out with this. You know very well that we were gonna let you have everything Google is getting."

Then Apple will release some kind of control box that will let us have all the Apps on our TV.

We will be able to play any of the games with the controls they will put on it too.

Who's playing who? Apple will make their money either way.
  • Reply 50 of 129
    ho hum <yawn> boring. I guess the days of google doing "original" work are over.
  • Reply 51 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Here's something even more scary-- also through Gruber (emphasis, mine):

http://www.theatlantic.com/technolog...bbyists/63908/

This almost sounds like cyber-stalking!

I use search engines, web applications other than Google wherever I can!

Whenever I hear Schmidt's conception of privacy and civil liberties, I am literally petrified. His opinions sounds like some evil offspring of the dark ages and some hellish futuristic dystopia. His apparent (at least to me) ignorance and idiocy become extremely alarming because of the sheer extent of power over the globe this guy exerts. It's no joke that never before has humanity "entrusted" so much of their private lives and knowledge to single all powerful entity such as google. The fact that this reversal in terms of years of progress and struggles for civil liberties is spearhead by a pretence of "do no evil" and "a free open source mobile os" and the legions who've swallowed this makes it all the more grotesquely ironic.

I feel it's safe to say at this moment that Orwell's big brother in 1984 has never before found a better real life counterpart than that of what google is, and particularly of what it can be. It's chilling to hear this Schmidt guy talk about privacy, "if you don't want people knowing about something, you shouldn't be doing it in the first place".
  • Reply 52 of 129
    juandljuandl Posts: 230member
    There will be no way Apple will be able to compete with Google with all the Content. Most of the Networks will literally bend over backwards to help Google in this regards.

Won't really matter because Apple will make more money of their $99.00 box than Google will (if they make any at all).

As far as the Content. No one really trusts Apple. They are so afraid that they will do to T.V. con-

tent the same as they did for Music,(or better yet what they think Apple did. They seem to forget that Apple was selling music for them).

Jobs probably realized it when even Disney was hesitant in providing current stuff that all of us really want from these Boxes.

It would have been a great success even if all the 4 Networks would have provided next day shows

But because nobody wanted to go this route with the Big Bad Apple, we have now what appears to be a very crippled AppleTV. But think about it. Who would be playing who if the following happens.

Everyone seems to have noticed how easy it seems to be to JailBreak the ATV. I believe that it was made like that on purpose.

Once this starts to happen, and all the JailBreaks lets loose of Medusa's Box and all the Content

starts flowing out for free. The Networks will start lining up outside Apple's door. "Steve. You have to figure out a way to put some DRM or something to help us out with this. You know very well that we were gonna let you have everything Google is getting."

Then Apple will release some kind of control box that will let us have all the Apps on our TV.

We will be able to play any of the games with the controls they will put on it too.

• Reply 53 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by juandl View Post

What an excellent post.

Tons of paragraphs are flooding the web by "analysts" and tech pundits that are almost uniformly garbage, and then you get a forum post as insightful and with such foresight as this.

Kudos. I can't see how what you are predicting will not happen. I think you 've pinned down apple's strategy on this to the t.
  • Reply 54 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

- What would Turner's motive be in dealing exclusively with Google instead of Apple? I don't see one, and believe that any such content will be available through Apple as well.

- Again, NBA has no more incentive to support Google over Apple than does Turner.

No net advantage

Their motives in dealing with Google over Apple is that they'd get what they want. Namely advertising.

It sounds to me like the difference here is that Google is trying to take content that's already available on the internet and just get it on your TV is a quick 'n' dirty way. Here's what I mean...

I can watch new episodes of The Office here in Canada online at globaltv.com, however there are drawbacks: The quality sucks, there's advertising inserted (often the same annoying ad at every commercial break) and it's either stuck on my computer or I have to drag out the cables, plug in my laptop and set everything up if I want it on my TV.

Apple looks at this situation and goes: "That's not an ideal and elegant solution. If we can create an ideal and elegant solution, people will be willing to pay for it." They work at solving all of those drawbacks, and then tell the TV networks what they think people are willing to pay for it, but the networks don't agree, and don't want to give up ads, so they're at an impass.

Google looks at this situation and the only problem they see is that a lot of people either don't want the hassle of plugging in their computer, or don't know how and are too scared to learn. So they work at fixing that problem and don't care about the quality or the advertising. The networks would look at that and realize that they're not loosing anything, namely the ads, so they'd be willing to work with Google.

Anyways, that's the way I see it. I think the biggest factor in the equation is the advertising. Personally, I'd much rather have an ad-free, elegant solution than one that only solves a connection and setup issue. Google makes their money on advertising. Do you think they'd release an ad-free Google TV?
  • Reply 55 of 129
    os2babaos2baba Posts: 262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGuessSo View Post

Hmmm, some of the "I don't need that on my TV" viewpoints are strangely reminiscent of iPad prerelease. \

I've had an HTPC in the living room for years. It's powerful and liberating to have the full internet available. The biggest problem is the same problem you see when you try to shoehorn Windows 7 onto a tablet - the interface was not designed for that medium.

Google TV having a full browser: awesome if websites recognize and optimize for it, just like they do for mobile versions now. That's the killer feature IMO.

I built an HTPC a couple of years ago. And it's fantastic since I can install any software and codec I want. Shrink to different qualities. Keep all my media together. And for me, the best part is access to IMDB when I'm watching a movie. I see a familiar face in a movie, but I can't place it. I go to IMDB and look at the Filmography to see where I had seen the person before.

But I do agree that browsing on even a 46" LCD TV is still not that great. But things will improve as sites get optimized for TVs.
  • Reply 56 of 129
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    The difference is that the Google device is purpose-built to track all your viewing habits; for Google's future use or for sale to the highest bidder, or both.
  • Reply 57 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by juandl View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

What an excellent post.

Tons of paragraphs are flooding the web by "analysts" and tech pundits that are almost uniformly garbage, and then you get a forum post as insightful and with such foresight as this.

Kudos. I can't see how what you are predicting will not happen. I think you 've pinned down apple's strategy on this to the t.

The original AppleTV was easily Jailbroken. Erica Sadun wrote a video player app that I modified to play (stream) old movies from the web -- there are thousands of free movies on the web.

There was a lot of interest in Jailbroken ATV... Until the iPhone was announced. That sucked the air out of the room.

The big difference this time is that we have a proven iOS SDK and boatload of talented, trained developers.

The new ATV is a blank sheet of paper for Apple and/or Jailbreakers.

• Reply 58 of 129
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,960member
    I welcome Google's entry into the family room TV space. With its first peer competitor I see nothing but improvement in AppleTV.

On the commercial front, I was amused that Google has learned the music lesson from Apple: nice simple upbeat/rom tune with images edited to the beat. On the down side, the carpet didn't match the drapes, so to speak. The images were too "techy" and complicated for the simplicity of the music. Plus, they threw in everything but the kitchen sink. Edit, please. Apple has always known that less is more. Google is still learning.
  • Reply 59 of 129
    we're not there yet...but anyone who thinks the 60" HDTV Flat screen in the living room, will NOT be the center of all things digital in the household in the very near future is sorely mistaken.

Music, photos, games, video, YouTube, FaceBook, Movies, TV, Sports, video phone calls, Apps (travel, finance, etc., etc.,) and yes the "InterTubes" (Internet) all operated from one 7" iPad like remote on a 60"+ screen optimized for websites (or vice-versa).

If it's from MS you will use a stylus (Uggh and it won't work!)...if it's from Apple you will use your finger! And it will be very pretty and elegant!

I already am using my desktop less and less. I'm viewing my den, that is wonderfully wireless and no cables, like a cubicle where I used to "work!" Uggh!

I don't want to peruse possible vacations or new cars or restaurants or movies from my "cubicle!" I want to do it from my living room, in front of my fireplace...in fact, I don't even want a den anymore...let my accountant not only produce and submit my tax returns, let him "store" them, too! And my bank can "store" my statements, etc., etc. I don't want to be bothered. I don't even want regular mail/catalogs/newspapers/magazines! Most of it is JUNK anyway....Keep it all in the "cloud!" I will look at it once a month or once a year on my iPad or better yet, NEVER!

I'll wake up in the morning and view my news, emails, etc., on my iPad while drinking a cup of coffee and updating my "To Do" list! That's how I want to start the day....

Best

PS. Very soon, I can see having only one 50" screen as described above, an iPad and an iPhone 4 and the "Cloud"....don't even want a laptop or a desktop anymore or a desk for that matter or even a mail box! Certainly don't want an ext. HD with all the cable clutter! Uggh! Barely want a clunky, creaky plasticky printer!
  • Reply 60 of 129
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,960member
    . . . it's interesting that Google is "upstaging" Apple when Apple isn't onstage. Have you seen any AppleTV ads? I haven't. Makes you think this is a backhanded compliment--that Steve's hobby is actually some kind of threat.