Apple paid a premium to relocate family for NC data center

Comments

• Reply 21 of 77
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

There's not a lot of point to using Linux if you are willing to buy Apple hardware. I can only assume that Apple is willing to buy its own hardware.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lowededwookie View Post

Why buy your own gear? Fill the place with your own gear, take the hit for lost sales, and use the datacentre to shut those idiots who say Macs can't do business up.

That's what I'd do. What better sales pitch could you have than a multi-million dollar datacentre that pushes data around as though it was an air hockey puck over datacentres that run Windows that push data around like it's a brick on a rubber mat?

I think you took his comment a little too literally.
  • Reply 22 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kent909 View Post

50 billion in the bank and they negotiate a reduction in property taxes and income taxes. Greed is good!

Of course, Apple could have taken them to court, had the state or county declare "eminent domain" and taken the property... in which case the owners would have gotten maybe $170,000 for it???

Seems like Apple realized they could treat those folks better than the government would/could.
  • Reply 23 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gerald apple View Post

A triumph for Apple to own this land and build a factory in the US. I am glad people in our own country will start working there and NC economy will start to prosper once again. I am sick of Made in China and other parts of the world except our own country.Hopefully Apple will start to manufacturer computers there also and not made in China and boost our economy instead of theirs.

A triumph for Apple, yes - they have exempted themselves from a large part of the taxation system, thus increasing their profit at the expense of the US citizen.

You don't buy anything from China, do you?
  • Reply 24 of 77
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lowededwookie View Post

Why buy your own gear? Fill the place with your own gear, take the hit for lost sales, and use the datacentre to shut those idiots who say Macs can't do business up.

The X-serve isn't what the experts call a cloud-scale machine. Most operators go for a large number of low power, expendable servers not just because they are cheaper, but because all the bells and whistles go to waste. Why use hot swap drives when your application just switches users off a failing node.

It amazed me how much was held together with Velcro in one particular facility; faster to replace or repair a machine when you don't have any screws to deal with...

The reason Macs aren't well suited from a software side is that management tools don't scale that well for 10,000 nodes. The server OS is little more than pretty GUI tools for a unix back-end. Working with raw config files breaks the GUI, so why have it in the first place.

Doesn't mean there is anything wrong with the hardware, just not the right tool for this job.
  • Reply 25 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

Of course, Apple could have taken them to court, had the state or county declare "eminent domain" and taken the property... in which case the owners would have gotten maybe $170,000 for it???

Seems like Apple realized they could treat those folks better than the government would/could.

Apple might have also secured some lifetime customers and positive word of mouth.
  • Reply 26 of 77
    alandailalandail Posts: 755member
    Quote:

A triumph for Apple to own this land and build a factory in the US. I am glad people in our own country will start working there and NC economy will start to prosper once again. I am sick of Made in China and other parts of the world except our own country.Hopefully Apple will start to manufacturer computers there also and not made in China and boost our economy instead of theirs.

it's not a factory.
  • Reply 27 of 77
    Quote:

Good point, I don't know what I was thinking expecting such a sacrifice by the shareholders.

Dear shareholders: We are asking you to sacrifice a wee bit of your mind-boggling return on AAPL so that NC can spend it on stuff in which you have neither control nor interest. Or, we'll just locate our data center in one of the many more places more eager to provide jobs for a few thousand people and tax revenue forever.

China, perhaps. I hear they're interested.

My willingness to "sacrifice" even more than I have already been compelled to "sacrifice" is zero. As in, zero.

Let me be clear: zero.
  • Reply 28 of 77
    alandailalandail Posts: 755member
    Quote:

50 billion in the bank and they negotiate a reduction in property taxes and income taxes. Greed is good!

when you're pumping a billion dollar investment into an area, you're going to get a tax break.
  • Reply 29 of 77
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kwatson View Post

A triumph for Apple, yes - they have exempted themselves from a large part of the taxation system, thus increasing their profit at the expense of the US citizen.?

EVERY company going into a remote location has those deals. Its kind of the point of going there. Its a trade off a region do to attract new jobs in the area which will results in more houses which means more TAX. The value of real-estate in the area will also rise which, again, means more tax. For crying out loud...

A new trend that I see happening here in Canada is remote location outsourcing. Instead of going to India, IT are starting to open divisions a few 100 miles from big cities, where cost of life is reduce and salary are cheaper. Imo this a very good way to keep jobs inside your own country.
  • Reply 30 of 77
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    What a stroke of luck. Nice retirement for those folks!
  • Reply 31 of 77
    aimbddaimbdd Posts: 49member
    wow... $142,100 router...
  • Reply 32 of 77
    It took several offers from Apple for the Fulbrights to consider moving. "They told us to put a price on it and we did," Kathy Fulbright told Bloomberg. Using the funds from the sale, the Fulbrights purchased a 49-acre piece of land with a 4,200-square-foot-house and a Jacuzzi, the report noted.

so they spent most of it on a ridiculous house? another american idiot that can't manage money.
  • Reply 33 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by john galt View Post

Dear shareholders: We are asking you to sacrifice a wee bit of your mind-boggling return on AAPL so that NC can spend it on stuff in which you have neither control nor interest. Or, we'll just locate our data center in one of the many more places more eager to provide jobs for a few thousand people and tax revenue forever.

China, perhaps. I hear they're interested.

My willingness to "sacrifice" even more than I have already been compelled to "sacrifice" is zero. As in, zero.

Let me be clear: zero.

yes, move it all to china. all IP should be in the hands of the chinese.
  • Reply 34 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aimbdd View Post

wow... $142,100 router...

Sad fact is, usually the service agreements and such really zap the wallet. The hardware is not the most expensive thing when purchasing wire-speed equipment.
  • Reply 35 of 77
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

The exact same thing happened in Sarasota, FL when the Ritz Carlton was built. Equally large amount for a small house too close to their footprint. This sort of thing happens all the time.

Major companies usually try to keep their identities secret as land-buyers so that they don't end up like this, hugely overpaying one holdout owner. In this case, the cat was out of the bag. This rumor ended up costing Apple something, though in fairness we don't how much the land was actually worth.
  • Reply 36 of 77
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:

I seriously doubt Apple did much negotiating. These are incentives put out by the local council to help bring companies in. This happens all the time to help lure people into an area to build it up.

Also, the contracts to purchase the land were probably drawn up a long time ago (3+ years) as it takes time to design a building of this scale. You can't draw up plans for a building until you know the land it's going to sit on. At that time Apple didn't have "50 billion in the bank".
  • Reply 37 of 77
    Quote:

It's certainly a nice thought, but who is able to afford computers built in US? Well for one maybe steve himself, but who else?
  • Reply 38 of 77
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post

Wouldn't it be interesting if they used Linux to run their servers. Would they ever tell?

Not really. They'll use whatever is required. Data centers don't need a lot horsepower, they are more about storage capacity and bandwidth.

However, I'd bet they use Xserves whenever and where ever possible.
  • Reply 39 of 77
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Good for them.

The story of Walt Disney's acquisition of the properties for DisneyWorld in Florida are amazing.

You think Apple is secretive, Disney was able to keep purchase of what seems like half of florida secret until just before the announcement in order to keep everyone from hiking their prices.

Glad a family made out. Chump change for Apple.;
  • Reply 40 of 77
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

It took several offers from Apple for the Fulbrights to consider moving. "They told us to put a price on it and we did," Kathy Fulbright told Bloomberg. Using the funds from the sale, the Fulbrights purchased a 49-acre piece of land with a 4,200-square-foot-house and a Jacuzzi, the report noted.

so they spent most of it on a ridiculous house? another american idiot that can't manage money.

They had to buy an expensive house. Otherwise it would have been a capital gain and they would have lost most of it to taxes. And the fact that they bought 49 acres probably means that the rest of the land won't be developed, which generally is a good thing for the environment.