Nielsen: Android overtakes Apple's iOS in latest US smartphone sales

Comments

• Reply 141 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Obviously this statement can't be true... or the Mac would be dead.

Because some people need things the Mac does that a PC doesn't, but most don't.
  • Reply 142 of 188
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrochester View Post

That's fine, because the product already does what I need it to do, so I'm looking to get hold of it for the cheapest price, as do the vast majority of consumers. Most people don't need to pay extra for a Mac when the cheaper option already does everything they need, and more.

Perhaps Wall Mart's fine clothing lines meet all your apparel requirements too?

C.
  • Reply 143 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

Perhaps Wall Mart's fine clothing lines meet all your apparel requirements too?

C.

Exactly, now we're on the same wave length. For most people, there simply isn't any reason to pay the extra as something cheaper will do the job just as well, so the money might as well not be wasted.
  • Reply 144 of 188
    Quote:

Exactly, now we're on the same wave length. For most people, there simply isn't any reason to pay the extra.

But fortunately, in clothing, in automobiles, and in technology there is a high end. And that high end is where all the innovation and development happens.

New ideas trickle down to the low end.

The problem with single vendor solutions is that there is no high end. No alternatives and only limited choices. The product range turns into a Soviet-style car-dealership featuring just one model.

And that model causes products to stagnate and it hurts consumers and vendors.

C.
  • Reply 145 of 188
    Quote:

Because some people need things the Mac does that a PC doesn't, but most don't.

I think you're wrong.

Think of it this way... if the Mac share is increasing yet it is more expensive then what does that tell you. To me it says that people really do see a difference, for the better, in the Mac operating system.

For instance... if Apple moved their profit margin down 10% to the low 20's I would assume, by your thinking, that Mac sales would skyrocket.

Why would that be?

This doesn't sound like a scenario where PCs are the same as Macs but are cheaper to buy.
  • Reply 146 of 188
    Quote:

But fortunately, in clothing, in automobiles, and in technology there is a high end. And that high end is where all the innovation and development happens.

New ideas trickle down to the low end.

The problem with single vendor solutions is that there is no high end. No alternatives and only limited choices. The product range turns into a Soviet-style car-dealership featuring just one model.

And that model causes products to stagnate and it hurts consumers and vendors.

C.

So the trick is a balance. A large enough high end to innovate, and a bottom heavy low end to benefit from this innovation when it becomes affordable. At a guess, this is where most people sit.
  • Reply 147 of 188
    applappl Posts: 348member
    Quote:

When any manufacturer, be they cellphone or computer, gives up on software development and outsources it to Microsoft or Google. They lose the ability to differentiate their products.

They become a commodity, sold only on a simple price/features axis. And the exact same process is happening to Android phones. They become interchangeable and generic. Very cheap, with lots of features.

This isn't bad news for consumers,

C.

I disagree. This isn't a race to the bottom with white goods, like the early PC was. Phones are personal.

In the PC race, they all looked alike, and all had a bewildering array of weird specs that made them read "C\> " or "]".

Today, with cellphones, the manufacturers are differentiating their products. They can add a cool overlay to make it theirs and appeal to specific market segments. They can make a cheap pink one with a smaller screen for middle school girls. They can make a balls to the wall model for techies, and they can make a full-featured one with all the latest apps for the iPhone switchers.

I don't think the current (and especially, the future) cellphone market is at all like the commodity market of the pre-Windows 95 beige box computer market.

Cellphones are not beige computers. They are everything from a lifeline for the elderly to a status symbol for the insecure, and everything in between.

And Android is absolutely ripe for product differentiation, rather than generic sameness. Indeed, it is specifically contemplated that it will be overlaid and modified and pared down and used for lots of different stuff.

Including cellphones that are absolutely perfect for specifically selected consumer segments.
  • Reply 148 of 188
    Quote:

I think you're wrong.

Think of it this way... if the Mac share is increasing yet it is more expensive then what does that tell you. To me it says that people really do see a difference, for the better, in the Mac operating system.

For instance... if Apple moved their profit margin down 10% to the low 20's I would assume, by your thinking, that Mac sales would skyrocket.

Why would that be?

This doesn't sound like a scenario where PCs are the same as Macs but are cheaper to buy.

I'd also add that a lot of Apple sales are probably driven by their current 'in fashion' status. Just look at how some of the biggest segments of the market that are purchasing Apple products are students or young adults where being in fashion and trendy is a fairly high priority. Time will tell if Apple's current success is built on actual credability, or whether it's just as a result of their being 'in vogue'.
  • Reply 149 of 188
    Quote:

I'd also add that a lot of Apple sales are probably driven by their current 'in fashion' status. Just look at how some of the biggest segments of the market that are purchasing Apple products are students or young adults where being in fashion and trendy is a fairly high priority. Time will tell if Apple's current success is built on actual credability, or whether it's just as a result of their being 'in vogue'.

Apple are within a few months of becoming, in-terms of market-cap, the largest company in the world being traded. Larger than Exxon.

You think that is because of a fad?

C.
  • Reply 150 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by appl View Post

I disagree. This isn't a race to the bottom with white goods, like the early PC was. Phones are personal.

In the PC race, they all looked alike, and all had a bewildering array of weird specs that made them read "C\> " or "]".

Today, with cellphones, the manufacturers are differentiating their products. They can add a cool overlay to make it theirs and appeal to specific market segments. They can make a cheap pink one with a smaller screen for middle school girls. They can make a balls to the wall model for techies, and they can make a full-featured one with all the latest apps for the iPhone switchers.

I don't think the current (and especially, the future) cellphone market is at all like the commodity market of the pre-Windows 95 beige box computer market.

Cellphones are not beige computers. They are everything from a lifeline for the elderly to a status symbol for the insecure, and everything in between.

And Android is absolutely ripe for product differentiation, rather than generic sameness. Indeed, it is specifically contemplated that it will be overlaid and modified and pared down and used for lots of different stuff.

Including cellphones that are absolutely perfect for specifically selected consumer segments.

But consumers are not stupid. They know that what can be done on one Android phone can be done on another with the same sort of spec. If the HTC is a few dollars cheaper than the Samsung, people will switch.

This is the commodity effect that inevitably takes place when all manufacturers get the most important component from a single vendor.

Like global thermonuclear war, the only way to win is not to play.

C.
  • Reply 151 of 188
    Quote:

Apple are within a few months of becoming, in-terms of market-cap, the largest company in the world being traded. Larger than Exxon.

You think that is because of a fad?

C.

Partly, yeah. You can't argue that Apple haven't created themselves an image of being cool, and for some people, that is enough of a reason to purchase their products. That's why I said the biggest test will be when Apple falls out of fashion; will they still be the largest company in the world by market-cap?
  • Reply 152 of 188
    Quote:

This sounds like fantasy.

I can't give you real market data but I have plenty of anecdotal evidence (ie. switchers) that tells me people are not buying Apple products just because they are trendy.
  • Reply 153 of 188
    Quote:

This sounds like fantasy.

I can't give you real market data but I have plenty of anecdotal evidence (ie. switchers) that tells me people are not buying Apple products just because they are trendy.

Some people will, some people won't. When I walk into my local Apple shop it's overwhelmingly filled with teens and young adults. I'll repeat this only once more, but this is why it'll be interesting to see if Apple can retain this level of success when they have fallen out of fashion and someone else becomes the industry darling.
  • Reply 154 of 188
    Quote:

Some people will, some people won't. When I walk into my local Apple shop it's overwhelmingly filled with teens and young adults. I'll repeat this only once more, but this is why it'll be interesting to see if Apple can retain this level of success when they have fallen out of fashion and someone else becomes the industry darling.

How long will we have to wait?
  • Reply 155 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

The fly in the ointment is what percentage of these Android devices are actually running Flash? What percentage are running Froyo 2.2? Android != Flash

The siutation with Android and 2.2 is the same situation with the iPhone and v4 of its software. You need the hardware that can support and handle the software. The latest handsets have either been updated to 2.2 or are soon to be updated to 2.2 because they have the power to run it.
  • Reply 156 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

The siutation with Android and 2.2 is the same situation with the iPhone and v4 of its software. You need the hardware that can support and handle the software. The latest handsets have either been updated to 2.2 or are soon to be updated to 2.2 because they have the power to run it.

Are the results in yet on power consumption using flash on a phone... and, please, anecdotal evidence won't cut it... "a friend of my cousin's brother-in-law's wife's aunt..."
  • Reply 157 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

LOL requirements for the antiHero antiFanboy antiApple [troll]:

1. Must own Apple stock

2. Must own tons of Apple stock

3. Must say "Actually, I have a Mac, but..."

4. Must say "Actually, I have an iPhone, but..."

5. Must say "Actually, I do own an iPad, but..."

6. Must have been a Mac user pre-iPod days

7. Must have been a Mac user pre-iPhone days

8. Must say "I like Apple, but..."

9. Must have worked in X famous tech company for over X years

10. Bonus points if "ran *own company* for over X years"

11. Bonus points if considered "Creative Pro back when the days when Apple cared about us"

12. Bonus points if "worked at Apple"

13. Super bonus points if "met Steve Jobs before"

See this is the main problem on this forum and with people like you and the Hermit. You don't have to be a flaming fanboy to own AAPL or enjoy your Apple products.

Not that I need or care if you buy into what I say if I worked for Walmart and said I own AAPL stock then I could see your point but working for IBM for the last two decades that isn't exactly a stretch even for someone like you.

Don't want to meet Steve Jobs and I am not some loser that sends him text messages unlike others on this forum.

Do I like Apple as a company, Do I like Steve Jobs, not really but that doesn't mean I am not smart enough to invest in them.

Do I own a ton of Apple products right now, no but I own enough.

Its okay you are the typical fanboy that has had sand kicked in his face for decades and now you can let it all out because the company you love so much is doing well. I get it and its fine, a little medication and some therapy and you will calm down over time.
  • Reply 158 of 188
    Quote:

Are the results in yet on power consumption using flash on a phone... and, please, anecdotal evidence won't cut it... "a friend of my cousin's brother-in-law's wife's aunt..."

You have come in on this a bit late. We have talked about this Flash issue several times. Right now I own and Evo because I didn't want to get another iPhone becaus I use a MBP and an iPad so another iPhone seemed a bit much.

For me Android was something I wanted to try so I did. As far a Flash on Android it run just fine but I have said several times battery consumption is still an issue. Flash 10.1 runs very smooth, Android released an update to remove the 30fps cap however battery usage is still an issue but getting slightly better with updates.

There isn't anything extreme about that statement because its fact based on my usage. So take your bullshit and go back to being an island hermit where you belong.
  • Reply 159 of 188
    Quote:

How long will we have to wait?

Who knows?

Quote:

Says he who gave anecdotal evidence 4 messages above...
  • Reply 160 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

See this is the main problem on this forum and with people like you and the Hermit. You don't have to be a flaming fanboy to own AAPL or enjoy your Apple products.

Is there some sort of award or citation for being able to get someone to name you directly in an AI reply?

lol