WSJ: Apple to build Verizon-compatible CDMA iPhone by year end

13

Comments

  • Reply 41 of 70
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,399member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post


    I got banned for this once before, but I'm gonna say it again because I believe I'm right.



    If you have something to say to me, say it. Don't stand behind someone else and piggyback off of their insult. Be a man. Say it to my face.



    Certainly.



    I believe you to be nothing more than a glorified troll/hater/anti-fanboy/what have you whose sole purpose is to post on a forum opposite your own interests for no other reason than to invoke the ire of its members. Your statements are mostly nonsensical, your distaste for Apple products is well-known, and your points fallacious at best.



    On topic, I still think that a CDMA iPhone is idiotic.
  • Reply 42 of 70
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,946member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iancass79 View Post


    Man, the weirdest thing keeps happening! My iPhone insists on only displaying old repeat stories today. Oh, nevermind. It's just appleinsider.



    Why oh why must the same story keep getting jumbled up and reposted?



    The difference is that it's WSJ. What Apple rumor posted by WSJ turned out to be false? I don't remember any. It seemed like they had several that did turn out to be true, like the Intel transition, the original iPhone announcement, among others.
  • Reply 43 of 70
    I hear alot of trash talk but I am interested if anyone actually knows what would happen if the 50% of iPhone subscribers switched to Verizon. Can Verizon handle the broadband explosion they would see?
  • Reply 44 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bibbler View Post


    You are correct. Everyone complaining about he Android phones here haven't seen them, or haven't seen one in a long time...



    I used one yesterday and it was as clunky and crappy as the first one I saw. Android is just a bad copy of iOS IMO.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bibbler View Post


    Fanboys tend to learn Fanboyisms like "Fragmented" and "Clunky"... I said it before and I'll say it again, they are BOTH (Droid and iPhone) fine products. The nonsense you hear spouted here is just fanboys feeling the need to insult every product without an Apple logo on it.



    Once you use the "fanboy" term you basically lose all credibility though. It just reveals yourself as the rabid "fan" because you don't have any real concrete arguments other than yelling "fanboy."



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bibbler View Post


    And Jobs NEVER NEVER wanted an App store. NEVER. He 1st insulted the developers with his "SWEET SOLUTION" of WebApps, and then when he saw how well the Jailbreak community was doing he decided that he would issue a SDK and the App store... That's the facts....



    These are not facts at all. This is just simply something you are saying.



    You clearly don't have a clue what a "fact" is or why it's called a fact. Things you believe are not necessarily facts. Facts are things that can be proven one way or the other and none of what you say here falls into that category.



    It's so ironic how people come to this forum and spout all kinds of emotional nonsense based on what they feel about x, y, or z while at the same time calling out everyone else for the very thing they are doing.
  • Reply 45 of 70
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by InLine1 View Post


    I hear alot of trash talk but I am interested if anyone actually knows what would happen if the 50% of iPhone subscribers switched to Verizon. Can Verizon handle the broadband explosion they would see?



    Previous story on it -> One third of iPhone owners waiting for Verizon to upgrade
  • Reply 46 of 70
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,946member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bibbler View Post


    And Jobs NEVER NEVER wanted an App store. NEVER. He 1st insulted the developers with his "SWEET SOLUTION" of WebApps, and then when he saw how well the Jailbreak community was doing he decided that he would issue a SDK and the App store... That's the facts.



    I don't think Jobs ever said there wasn't going to be third party native apps (or app store, for that matter). They just didn't tip their hand until they're in a position to play it. By some accounts, they just weren't ready to present their SDK, which is understandable as the platform and development system was very new and still needed some shake-out.
  • Reply 47 of 70
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PeterRRRRRR View Post


    The WSJ (and others) are also reporting that Verizon plans to offer LTE capability in 30+ cities early in 2011. Would make more sense for Apple to make an LTE capable iPhone, CDMA really has no future upside.



    No. First, I don't think there are any LTE chips that would meet Apple's power requirements. I could be wrong. Second, for an LTE phone to be viable, it can't be LTE only, otherwise your phone would be useless outside of those 30 cities. That means one of two things: 1) it's an LTE/CDMA phone, or 2) Verizon has signed a roaming agreement with either ATT or Tmobile so that an LTE/GSM phone would work outside of those cities.



    #2 is never going to happen. More likely that Verizon would purchase Tmobile to get their GSM network (that ain't gonna happen, either).



    Simply put, for the next several years, any Verizon LTE phone will need to also support CDMA. And similarly, the Verizon network will need to support CDMA for the forseable future in order to support the millions of CDMA devices customers are currently using. Since CDMA isn't going anywhere anytime soon, and since any Verizon iPhone released in the next several years would need to support CDMA anyway, there is no reason to not support CDMA now. A CDMA iPhone released now will be just as usuable 3 years from now.
  • Reply 48 of 70
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,312member
    Two points.



    1) the wsj doesn't quote random rumors, or stories from the village idiot. If they mention sources then the sources are legit, and probably spoon-fed it to the WSJ. Probably Apple, trying to get people to not defect to Android this year.



    2) CDMA is not the future, so what. The idea is to increase US market share. iPhone users are sticky.



    Get them and keep them.





    Utterly obvious business and common sense.
  • Reply 49 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post


    You said blacks only, so I twisted the "once you go black you don't go back" line to poke fun at the history you have with posting here on AI and how many people don't like the things you post or think they make any sense.



    Personally I could care less, I'm just a smart ass and bored at work Oh, BTW, wife and 2 kids, I'm a guy



    Well well. I think I found someone here I can relate to!
  • Reply 50 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post


    Two points.



    1) the wsj doesn't quote random rumors, or stories from the village idiot. If they mention sources then the sources are legit, and probably spoon-fed it to the WSJ. Probably Apple, trying to get people to not defect to Android this year.



    you must be new here. The number of BS WSJ stories about a Verizon imminent launch articles posted here is ridiculous.

    Quote:

    2) CDMA is not the future, so what. The idea is to increase US market share. iPhone users are sticky.



    Get them and keep them.





    Utterly obvious business and common sense.



    Bear in mind that the US is just one Market... CDMA networks outside of the US are a bit like hens teeth, with one major exception, China.
  • Reply 51 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


    On topic, I still think that a CDMA iPhone is idiotic.



    Care to explain that statement with an argument of logic? Or do you just not want to be caught dead agreeing with me about anything?
  • Reply 52 of 70
    shadashshadash Posts: 470member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


    On topic, I still think that a CDMA iPhone is idiotic.



    Why on earth do you think this? 4G is several years away from widespread roll out. AT&T stinks for lots of people. Seems to me Apple should have done this way earlier, but January 2011 is better late than never.
  • Reply 53 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post


    The difference is that it's WSJ. What Apple rumor posted by WSJ turned out to be false? I don't remember any. It seemed like they had several that did turn out to be true, like the Intel transition, the original iPhone announcement, among others.



    WSJ is now a rumor rag like the rest of them....the more user clicks they get, the more they get from their ad sponsors. They have learned that Apple rumors are very 'profitable'.



    See below for other WSJ 'reliable' news stories:





    "Verizon iPhone arriving in September, says WSJ"

    http://www.geek.com/articles/mobile/empt-20100330/
  • Reply 54 of 70
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,312member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChickenHawk View Post


    you must be new here. The number of BS WSJ stories about a Verizon imminent launch articles posted here is ridiculous.





    Bear in mind that the US is just one Market... CDMA networks outside of the US are a bit like hens teeth, with one major exception, China.



    The US makes the headlines. The Nielsen report on android catching up with and surpassing iOS ( in the US) makes worldwide news and makes Android more respected worldwide. In fact people often report the US market as the world market( something which tends to mean most people over-estimate RIM and under-regard Nokia).



    The US is the place to win.
  • Reply 55 of 70
    I'm glad I am in Canada and don't have to deal with this kinda of crap.
  • Reply 56 of 70
    macinthe408macinthe408 Posts: 1,050member
    WSJ just released news that Apple is "rumored" to be working on the 5th-gen iPhone.



    I mean, really WSJ, are you fucking kidding me?



    I could make some wisecracks, but I can't because your corporate ineptitude is too saddening.



    If Walter Cronkite were alive today, he'd defecate on your typewriters.
  • Reply 57 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post


    Blacks only my friend.



    Outstanding! Perhaps he'll loan you an apostrophe.
  • Reply 58 of 70
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post


    Well well. I think I found someone here I can relate to!



    Good, why don't the two of you leave us and start your own site called "Pavlovian Apple Bash."
  • Reply 59 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post


    I used one yesterday and it was as clunky and crappy as the first one I saw. Android is just a bad copy of iOS IMO.



    That says quite a bit about you. But if talking "fanboy" makes you feel "important" and like you finally "fit in", please continue.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post


    Once you use the "fanboy" term you basically lose all credibility though.



    Well, we travel in different circles then (somehow I'm not surprised). When you are so blinded by a corporation that you can no longer see, and you must use fanboy terms to express yourself, it's YOU Sir who loses ALL credibility. How's your "elegant" and "delicious" Mac doing there Prof??? It's better than those "clunky" and "Crappy" computers, isn't it??? You're such a BIG BOY Prof. I bet you "skate to where the puck is going to be", don't you????



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post


    It just reveals yourself as the rabid "fan" because you don't have any real concrete arguments other than yelling "fanboy."



    Actually Little boy, I've been using Apple computers since 1981 and PC's since 1985. In between I've used everything else that came along be it C64's, Atari ST, Amiga, In between there I managed to earn an engineering degree, Don't talk down to me kiddo, I'm not a "fan" of anything, and I'm certainly not rabid.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post


    These are not facts at all. This is just simply something you are saying.



    You clearly don't have a clue what a "fact" is or why it's called a fact. Things you believe are not necessarily facts. Facts are things that can be proven one way or the other and none of what you say here falls into that category.



    Actually little boy, what I posted ARE facts. Tell ya what, Google this sentence and learn something. "Cingular doesn't want to see their West Coast network go down because some application messed up"



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post


    It's so ironic how people come to this forum and spout all kinds of emotional nonsense based on what they feel about x, y, or z while at the same time calling out everyone else for the very thing they are doing.



    Yes Little Boy, run along now and go to your bedroom and look at your Steve Jobs scrapbook...



    Pfffttttt
  • Reply 60 of 70
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,660member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bibbler View Post


    That says quite a bit about you. But if talking "fanboy" makes you feel "important" and like you finally "fit in", please continue.







    Well, we travel in different circles then (somehow I'm not surprised). When you are so blinded by a corporation that you can no longer see, and you must use fanboy terms to express yourself, it's YOU Sir who loses ALL credibility. How's your "elegant" and "delicious" Mac doing there Prof??? It's better than those "clunky" and "Crappy" computers, isn't it??? You're such a BIG BOY Prof. I bet you "skate to where the puck is going to be", don't you????







    Actually Little boy, I've been using Apple computers since 1981 and PC's since 1985. In between I've used everything else that came along be it C64's, Atari ST, Amiga, In between there I managed to earn an engineering degree, Don't talk down to me kiddo, I'm not a "fan" of anything, and I'm certainly not rabid.







    Actually little boy, what I posted ARE facts. Tell ya what, Google this sentence and learn something. "Cingular doesn't want to see their West Coast network go down because some application messed up"







    Yes Little Boy, run along now and go to your bedroom and look at your Steve Jobs scrapbook...



    Pfffttttt



    Man, is there a douche-bag competition I wasn't aware of? Because I think you're winning.
Sign In or Register to comment.