Apple developed 7-inch iPad alongside current model - rumor

Comments

• Reply 61 of 91
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Undo Redo View Post

Samurai1999 suggested that an iOS based Macbook Air could be cheaper than a Mac OS based MacBook Air. I merely tried to suggest that wasn't all there was to it.

Then my bad, but not that your use of the term “Apple tax” indicated to me that the device is pointlessly overpriced, not pointless over engineered for it’s niche market. I’ve never heard the term used as you are apparently using it.

edit: Pipped by addabox.
  • Reply 62 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I"ve generally always understood "the Apple tax" to refer to some perceived price premium tacked onto the same or equivalent hardware, as sold by other vendors-- not simply that Apple makes relatively expensive, relatively highly specced machines.

In other words, the price of the MBA vs. the average netbook has nothing to do with any "Apple tax", at least as I understand the term.

Thank you for clarifying. I think I used the "term" incorrectly although I'm not convinced the MacBook Air is really worth $1500 either. I certainly wouldn't buy one. I have a 13" MBP instead but I sure wish it was smaller and lighter.

If indeed Apple made an iOS notebook with a real keyboard and trackpad that weighed around two pounds for $600-800, I'd be very interested. The problem is, it would be touch-based and I have no interest in touching the screen of my laptop computer.
  • Reply 63 of 91
    Quote:

If indeed Apple made an iOS notebook with a real keyboard and trackpad that weighed around two pounds for $600-800, I'd be very interested. The problem is, it would be touch-based and I have no interest in touching the screen of my laptop computer.

So you'd be very interested, but you wouldn't buy one?
  • Reply 64 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

So you'd be very interested, but you wouldn't buy one?

I don't know...maybe. Currently I use a MacBook Pro and a netbook for my portable needs. Neither one is ideal but neither is the iPad.
  • Reply 65 of 91
    Quote:

I don't know...maybe. Currently I use a MacBook Pro and a netbook for my portable needs. Neither one is ideal but neither is the iPad.

I couldn't help but notice the contradiction. It's one thing to believe that Apple should cater to your whims, but yet another to then say that you're not sure you'd buy the product even if they did. I hope that makes it clear why Apple can't release every product that anyone can imagine might be a nice idea.
  • Reply 66 of 91
    Quote:

I couldn't help but notice the contradiction. It's one thing to believe that Apple should cater to your whims, but yet another to then say that you're not sure you'd buy the product even if they did. I hope that makes it clear why Apple can't release every product that anyone can imagine might be a nice idea.

Why do I feel like I'm being ganged up on here tonight?

This is a discussion forum where people post thoughts, talk of rumors, wish lists, etc. Just because I want a reasonably priced lightweight notebook from Apple doesn't mean I have to promise to buy one sight unseen, does it?

I've bought dozens and dozens of computers and products from Apple over the years. Yes, I want them to make products that they don't currently. So what?
  • Reply 67 of 91
    applappl Posts: 348member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChiA View Post

all these competitors are simply reacting to an Apple action.

They're playing copycat and catch up and are trying to figure out how they'll fit into this market.

Kind of like Windows 3.1?
  • Reply 68 of 91
    Quote:

No, not really. I was just saying Apple could, if it wanted to, make a nice small light notebook Mac for much, much less than $1500. And I suggested three to four times as much money as a netbook ? easily doable, IMO. Instead, Apple makes this high end luxury thing that few people want at its price.

But again, wrong thread.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Steve Jobs

We don't know how to make a $500 computer that's not a piece of junk; our DNA will not let us do that.

Steve's not into the OLPC or $100 tablet business.
  • Reply 69 of 91
    Quote:

Why do I feel like I'm being ganged up on here tonight?

This is a discussion forum where people post thoughts, talk of rumors, wish lists, etc. Just because I want a reasonably priced lightweight notebook from Apple doesn't mean I have to promise to buy one sight unseen, does it?

I've bought dozens and dozens of computers and products from Apple over the years. Yes, I want them to make products that they don't currently. So what?

I know the feeling. Sorry about that.

Sure, it's fair to fantasize, especially in a place like this. I suppose I was reacting, perhaps unfairly, to something I hear so often on these boards, which is some variation on "if I can think of it, Apple has to sell it, or they've failed." Maybe that's not what you were saying. But you did admit that this fantasy product isn't one you'd necessarily buy yourself, so that does argue against it becoming a reality.
  • Reply 70 of 91
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    the ipad >>>I touch world could very well take over the iphone as the highest profit device n the apple line up

highest profit as in largest number's sold with smallest headaches

In fact with the advent of free personal WIFI or Cheap MI-FI LIKE solutions >> ie: Using the IPAD/ITOUCH for cheap/free face time phone calls w/ no contract may be the answer the android could never approach .

HAVING 3 Itouch sizes and 2 Pad sizes

could very well open up dozens of industry wide

adoption and give apple scores of orders that exceed 10,000. at a clip. The INDIA school system could but 2 million A year .

Andriod has 12 vendors 4 app stores and msft coming to splinter it even more

good luck with that.

• Reply 71 of 91
    Quote:

I know the feeling. Sorry about that.

Sure, it's fair to fantasize, especially in a place like this. I suppose I was reacting, perhaps unfairly, to something I hear so often on these boards, which is some variation on "if I can think of it, Apple has to sell it, or they've failed." Maybe that's not what you were saying. But you did admit that this fantasy product isn't one you'd necessarily buy yourself, so that does argue against it becoming a reality.

All this 11.6" iOS 'MBA' talk is a bit off-topic, but I just dropped it in because I thought it was an interesting idea.

- and judging by the comments, some people think it's a good idea, and some think it's a non-starter, which is fine by me.

Apple is doing a lot of interesting stuff at the moment, and successfully re-defining multiple markets, and I see no harm in speculating what they might do in the future.

• Reply 72 of 91
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

the ipad >>>I touch world could very well take over the iphone as the highest profit device n the apple line up

highest profit as in largest number's sold with smallest headaches

In fact with the advent of free personal WIFI or Cheap MI-FI LIKE solutions >> ie: Using the IPAD/ITOUCH for cheap/free face time phone calls w/ no contract may be the answer the android could never approach .

HAVING 3 Itouch sizes and 2 Pad sizes

could very well open up dozens of industry wide

adoption and give apple scores of orders that exceed 10,000. at a clip. The INDIA school system could but 2 million A year .

Andriod has 12 vendors 4 app stores and msft coming to splinter it even more

good luck with that.

Yes, a 7 inch Pad would make a better FaceTime device. You could hold it further away from your face, so there would be less mug-shot effect. And the miniPad could be held more easily for the back camera -- it'd be a great view camera as well .

As an iPad user from day one, I can say that the number one joy of the portable all-screen device is 'holding the internet in your hands,' as more than one Apple exec said. That's what grows on you when you start carrying it around, and it's why I would never want to be without one. i never felt that way about the touch, because the screen is too small.

A 7 inch would be even handier, and large enough to see. I'd buy one and leave the 9.7 at home for my wife.
  • Reply 73 of 91
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Yes, a 7 inch Pad would make a better FaceTime device. You could hold it further away from your face, so there would be less mug-shot effect. And the miniPad could be held more easily for the back camera -- it'd be a great view camera as well .

As an iPad user from day one, I can say that the number one joy of the portable all-screen device is 'holding the internet in your hands,' as more than one Apple exec said. That's what grows on you when you start carrying it around, and it's why I would never want to be without one. i never felt that way about the touch, because the screen is too small.

A 7 inch would be even handier, and large enough to see. I'd buy one and leave the 9.7 at home for my wife.

Those thoughts make the idea seem even more appealing. I had been wondering how easy or difficult it might be to shoot a picture using a 10" iPad but a 7" model would seem like a snap. I wonder if a 7" model would be easily palmable...in other words holding it with a thumb on one edge and a couple of finger tips on the other? Seems that would be a more secure way using it when you're standing.
  • Reply 74 of 91
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:

cool

how is your WI FI connection ??

• Reply 75 of 91
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:

Thank you for clarifying. I think I used the "term" incorrectly although I'm not convinced the MacBook Air is really worth $1500 either. I certainly wouldn't buy one. I have a 13" MBP instead but I sure wish it was smaller and lighter.

I understand what is meant by lighter but what do you mean by smaller? Smaller screen? Thinner? Keyboard free?

The questions are brought up to get a better idea of what you want because, a thinner & small MBP is very possible with technology that is to launch this quarter. I'm talking here of AMDs Fusion line up based on the Bobcat core.

As to AIR I have to agree the price is a joke and frankly has to be the worst computer deal on the market. It isn't an Apple tax in this case but rather Apple being full of themselves.

Quote:

If indeed Apple made an iOS notebook with a real keyboard and trackpad that weighed around two pounds for $600-800, I'd be very interested.

Many people out here in Apple land would be interested. I think that is a very possible price target with Apple delivering a quality machine at that price. The key here is high integration devices and getting rid of the optical drive. A SoC like the Bobcat based Fusion plus plenty of space for a battery would result in a reasonably powerful laptop with better than Netbook performance. The key here though is the low cost to manufacture and thus low selling point. It might even allow Apple to put an IPS LCD in the thing. Especially if the entire logic board can be had for less than $100.

Quote:

The problem is, it would be touch-based and I have no interest in touching the screen of my laptop computer.

It doesn't have to be iOS based, it just needs a chip product and configuration that lowers the selling point. It sort of sucks but Intel has had little competition in the mobile space for a couple of years now. That has resulted in incredibly expensive laptop parts for no other reason than that they could get away with it. Even if Apple doesn't adopt Bobcat/Fusion for a very small laptop the fact that it exists will put a lot of pressure on Intels pricing. It isn't just ATOM that will come under pressure as the CULV line up and even Arondale will feel the pressure.

That isn't to say that the Bobcat CPU will be the performance leader up against every Intel offering as it is obvious it won't be in every case. Rather it is what the chip delivers overall that makes these SoC so compelling in low end machines. The attraction will be hard to mis by both the consummers and the manufactures.

Maybe Apple doesn't want to play in this ultra small market. It is hard to say but the rumor mill is inviting with speculation of a smaller AIR. More importantly a lower cost AIR.

I do hope Apple has the wisdom to put in a 3G/4G modem! That would be a very very desirable travel machine.

Dave
  • Reply 76 of 91
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:

Yes, a 7 inch Pad would make a better FaceTime device. You could hold it further away from your face, so there would be less mug-shot effect. And the miniPad could be held more easily for the back camera -- it'd be a great view camera as well.

A View Camera is a wocerful tool but a IApad with a cell phone camera chip would never pass as such a camera. As useful as a big ground glass is for composing the picture, it is the mechanical movements that make the view camera a powerful tool.

Given all of that if Apple wanted to throw their technical skills at redefning this photography sub group, I'd say go ahead. The problem is we would be talking about 40 MegaPixel and larger sensors and fine mechanics beyound what even Apple currently sells.

Quote:

Interesting but that is the way I feel about my iPhone. That ability to get to the internet anywhere is extremely endearing.

Quote:

Yep something in that range would be very handy indeed. Sure the larger screen on the current iPad is nice but I cant help to think that it is to close to laptop size for many uses. Of course for other uses the iPad is currently the best trade off on the market.

A sub 7" device is however far more portable. I just hope they don't screw up the aspect ratio. The smaller the device the less appealing the 4:3 ratio in my mind. I know this brings on heated arguements but guys would you look at a column of text in a book, magazine or newspaper first. Please! The desire here is for increased usability in the form factor, not just good movie play back. Speaking of which movie playback isn't nothing to sneeze at either. Put an AppleTV app in the thing would lead to much happiness too.

Dave
  • Reply 77 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

What Apple will not likely do, however, considering it carries a Touch that tops out at $399 and an iPad starting at $499, is try to shoehorn a third product in there.

How about a full featured 7 inch iPad for the same price as the bigger one?

A deluxe little one with a retina display, for the same money? 3G, 128 Gigs, nice display, 16x9 for the same money?

Maybe some exclusive apps thrown in for free? Ones that are not now available on the big one or the iTouch? Free turn-by-turn directions and a "free" car dock?

How about a year of free streaming music from the new Apple Data Center? Maybe this one will be able to be used as a phone with an included BluTooth headset?

Or they could market it as optimized for reading books, and include some sort of iBooks tie-in, even market it loaded up with Stephen King's books, or some other popular schlock author, like they did the iPod with U2 a few years ago.

If I had the choice between the current iPod and a more full featured 7 inch 16x9 model for the same price, I'd snap up the 7 incher.
  • Reply 78 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by easy288 View Post

I have been reading ebooks on my Palm PDA for 10 years. It is very readable and the picture is sharp. I always get comments that its too small, the screen is not clear blah blah blah. .

While I no longer use my PalmOS devices, I used to read novel after novel on them, and I still read books on m iPhone.

The format is unimportant. Once you are immersed in the world of a good novel, the reading part slips away. If you had to constantly fight to see the words, it would be different. But IMO, anything that allows me to scan the sentences easily is effective to transport me to Lothlorien or into a world where there can exist a comedy of manners or to communicate to me the intricacies of string theory.
  • Reply 79 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Let?s see... You?re trying to paint the MacBook as being some equivalent to netbooks when nothing about the product is speced, classed or marketed like a shitty little netbook.

Sure it is. It is a lightweight, limited capability machine. Small and easy to carry. Does pretty much almost everything a bigger heavier machine does, maybe a bit slower for some stuff.

It is exactly like a netbook, just much more expensive.

Of course, it is missing lots of stuff that many netbooks include, like an HDMI out for hooking up to the rest of the home's electronics, and ethernet for transferring gigs of data, and a decently large hard drive combined with eSata for accessing archived materials, but that's just typical Apple limitations, and Apple customers kind of expect that.
  • Reply 80 of 91
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

cool

how is your WI FI connection ??9

Funny you should ask, don't know if you're being sarcastic, but it does drop off occasionally at home on my Airport Express, and then sometimes is "Unable" to reconnect. I have to finally shut it off and let it sit for awhile, and then sometimes ask and connect with a password, other times just get on without asking. Out in the world, it always seems to work, and it auto joins at Starbucks where I've been before.

]A[QUOTE=wizard69;1730134 View Camera is a wocerful tool but a IApad with a cell phone camera chip would never pass as such a camera. As useful as a big ground glass is for composing the picture, it is the mechanical movements that make the view camera a powerful tool.

Given all of that if Apple wanted to throw their technical skills at redefning this photography sub group, I'd say go ahead. The problem is we would be talking about 40 MegaPixel and larger sensors and fine mechanics beyound what even Apple currently sells. Dave[/QUOTE]

True enough, I guess I was using a metaphor loosely. It would make a camera with a great viewfinder/display screen, provided you could shade it from the sun. But it won't have a Schneider lens or anything.

]A[QUOTE=wizard69;1730134Interesting but that is the way I feel about my iPhone. That ability to get to the internet anywhere is extremely endearing. [/QUOTE]

I would probably feel the same way about an iPhone, if I had one. But the touch wasn't enough of a web browser to carry around everywhere, like one does with a phone.