Apple developed 7-inch iPad alongside current model - rumor

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

I understand what is meant by lighter but what do you mean by smaller? Smaller screen? Thinner? Keyboard free?

The questions are brought up to get a better idea of what you want because, a thinner & small MBP is very possible with technology that is to launch this quarter. I'm talking here of AMDs Fusion line up based on the Bobcat core.

As to AIR I have to agree the price is a joke and frankly has to be the worst computer deal on the market. It isn't an Apple tax in this case but rather Apple being full of themselves.

By smaller, I mean the exact width of the 12" PowerBook because we know it will hold a full-size keyboard. Height could be whatever works for a 16x9 or 16x10 screen. Weight should be under three pounds.

Apple poo-poos netbooks because they're underpowered, have small keyboards and basically cheap parts. I don't disagree (much) but Apple can't seem to (doesn't want to) do any better. The Air is too big and expensive and the iPad is too, well, hard to use for real computing.
  • Reply 82 of 91
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Undo Redo View Post

By smaller, I mean the exact width of the 12" PowerBook because we know it will hold a full-size keyboard. Height could be whatever works for a 16x9 or 16x10 screen. Weight should be under three pounds.

I?ve already done the math. The 11.6? 16:10 display is a little wider than the old 12.1? 4:3 display thus making a fullsized keyboard possible at that size. I?ve also found that by using the resolution in the 13.3? display the pixels per inch would be equivalent to the high-res displays on the 15 and 17? MBPs thus making Mac OS X workable and the iPad thus making iOS iPad apps workable.
  • Reply 83 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I?ve already done the math. The 11.6? 16:10 display is a little wider than the old 12.1? 4:3 display thus making a fullsized keyboard possible at that size. I?ve also found that by using the resolution in the 13.3? display the pixels per inch would be equivalent to the high-res displays on the 15 and 17? MBPs...

Sounds freakin' perfect!
  • Reply 84 of 91
    emacs72emacs72 Posts: 356member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

The only people really interested in a 7" table are manufacturers who know they will get clobbered if the offer a 10" tablet matching the size of the iPad ...

that's quite the bold claim to consider their isn't a consumer market for a 7" tablet.
  • Reply 85 of 91
    Would have thought a larger iPad would be better than a smaller one. If you make smaller one then it gets closer and closer to an iPhone. I don't see the point. I think it is more likely that there will be a 13" or 15" version as replacement for a Macbook
  • Reply 86 of 91
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    If an object isn't small enough to fit in a pocket, people will not carry it around in their everyday lives without the assistance of luggage or specialized clothing. While there are niche exceptions, this rule has held true for the entirety of human existence.
  • Reply 87 of 91
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

If an object isn't small enough to fit in a pocket, people will not carry it around in their everyday lives without the assistance of luggage or specialized clothing. While there are niche exceptions, this rule has held true for the entirety of human existence.

Exactly. I like this kind of pronouncement. Where function and portability intersect, there is power. As with the Aldine portable book that could be carried in a saddlebag. That was the device that created the Enlightenment.

(Sorry for the repetition; it is my current favorite techno-analogy.)
  • Reply 88 of 91
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:

Heheh, reading over my post again, i realized that it didn't include the point I was really trying to make...

If an object doesn't fit in your pocket, it might as well be sufficiently big as to be truly useful. Portability isn't a concern so long as it fits in the luggage that will be used to carry the non-pocketable object.

Less abstractly, I don't see 7" tablets as ever being popular as portable devices. Nor will they be as popular as a larger tablet such like the current iPad. Both sizes fit on the coffee table, in a briefcase, or in a backpack.
  • Reply 89 of 91
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:

Heheh, reading over my post again, i realized that it didn't include the point I was really trying to make...

If an object doesn't fit in your pocket, it might as well be sufficiently big as to be truly useful. Portability isn't a concern so long as it fits in the luggage that will be used to carry the non-pocketable object.

Less abstractly, I don't see 7" tablets as ever being popular as portable devices. Nor will they be as popular as a larger tablet such like the current iPad. Both sizes fit on the coffee table, in a briefcase, or in a backpack.

Then I withdraw my 'exactly.'

Everything else remains the same, and I'll raise you one. Seven-inch tablets will be ridiculously popular, even from other companies, especially when they have FaceTime and are 3D-enabled. They will fit it jacket pockets.
  • Reply 90 of 91
    Quote:

Oh, so when he says it, everyone agrees.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

They will fit it jacket pockets.

No. They won't. [incredulous]What kind of clothes do you wear?[/incredulous]
  • Reply 91 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

I know I'm a bit late to the game and even though I have iBooks on my iPhone 4, I only recently tried reading an ebook on it. Reason being I just assumed the screen was too small to be practical.

I was quite pleasantly surprised and actually enjoyed reading an eBook on the iPhone 4. The screen was crisp and the sepia option was very nice.

I could see doing this in a pinch on a plane or at a restaurant.

Having said that I could see myself with a current iPad model and a 7" too. Yes, there is overlap but if I'm going on vacation, I would carry the 7". if I was working I would carry the large iPad for minor updates to charts, and presentations.

Best

Chris

Buy an i pad 7" one and sign up every month to see your eye doctor because the strain from that small screen will eventually ruin your vision.