NYT: Verizon iPhone coming early next year

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 94
    mennomenno Posts: 854member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The rule is you don't introduce new products during the holiday season. There are reasons for this. There is no legitimate rule that says you shouldn't introduce products during the winter months (Dec. to Feb.). Note than winter in the southern hemisphere is May to July.

Here are some products from Apple that launched during winter months. I had thought to list them all but decided that to waste that much time listed dozens and dozens of products is pointless when you choose not believe something without even the faintest consideration of making sure you were in any way correct. What you don?t see is anything from Apple launched in December and hardly anything in their entire history launched in November. The ones that are (I only looked at modern releases) are launched at the beginning of November, weeks before the busiest shopping day of the year in th US occurs.

Again, don?t think holiday shopping season equates to winter and therefore a January release is bad. In fact, CES, MacWorld and others take advantage of the lull after the holidays buy introducing new products. The problem is trying to change gears from the end of the quarter holiday sales rush to trying to show you all the new products as quickly as possible.

You're STILL thinking in apple's terms. When it comes to product release, it doesn't matter what apple does. it matter's what VERIZON does and what's best for them. So it doesn't matter what it is in australia. We're talking about a VERIZON iphone.. why the crap would what season it is down south matter?

Those products are personal devices, bought without a subsidy and often the only thing they were replacing were previous versions of the same devices. You'll notice that all of Apple's releases are now in the summer months. If winter releases were ideal, or at least not worse than summer releases, why make the shift?

Of the ipods you listed, THREE were launched in January or February. And then they quickly shifted to summer or fall releases with the rest of apple's line.

The Ipad was announced in the winter but didn't come out until late spring. They CANNOT do this with a cellphone. If you suggest otherwise you don't know what you're talking about. Phones need to launch within weeks or a month of being announced, especially if people actually WANT the product. If they don't, they're killing their own sales figures.

yes, they did this with the original iphone (january launch, june release), but they had no competition. the iphone wasn't a replacement of a blackberry, or a winmo device, it was it's own category. This will be a launch on a carrier that already HAS well selling (and more profitable) devices on their network. Verizon won't let them do the same, and they have NO reason to listen to any of apple's demands in this regard.

Mac relaunches are model updates. People don't buy these every year. They're released WITHOUT fanfare and often without anything more than a press release.

So stop sidestepping the issue. Tell me why VERIZON would launch a device the month after their largest retail season, within the 30 day window for returns (not to mention the headaches of people calling to try and upgrade early). Verizon's big phones are launched in November or in the summer. They're not going to launch something like the iphone in the winter. it DOES NOT make sense, please attempt to show otherwise.
  • Reply 82 of 94
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Menno View Post

You're STILL thinking in apple's terms.

I’m thinking in terms of economics. It has nothing to do with Apple. Apple is not the only one who has ever released a product in January.

Besides that it’s Apple’s phone and Apple has to work within the confines of the non-infinite resources to source parts and produce products. I don’t think a Verizon iPhone is likely to launch in January, but I think it’s likely to announced.

Your comment and the one i responded to was inferring that “no consumer device announced and launched in January” and "January is NOT a good month to launch a device. Heck, even apple knows this.”

I proved how utterly wrong your statement was and corrected your erroneous and un-researched conclusion. You are the one who is sidestepping saying that you meant only the iPhone on Verizon and not consumer electronics in general, despite nothing in your comments state that no cellphone should be launched in January or February, but other products can and often are launched in the later two winter months.”

Quote:

yes, they did this with the original iphone (january launch, june release), but they had no competition. the iphone wasn't a replacement of a blackberry, or a winmo device, it was it's own category. This will be a launch on a carrier that already HAS well selling (and more profitable) devices on their network. Verizon won't let them do the same, and they have NO reason to listen to any of apple's demands in this regard.

Um, every smartphone was their competition. What you probably meant to say, thought don’t even realize it is that the iPhone came out so far ahead of the competition than it is now. This further destroys your already weak position as it would make even more people return their AT&T phones (if even that was a big issue for AT&T), when now they have competition which by definition means that Verizon’s other options can compete against the iPhone better than they could 4 years ago come january.

Okay, when you debate with fools there is a point that you become the bigger fool for letting it continue. I’m out. Enjoy your ignorant bliss.
  • Reply 83 of 94
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:

The rule is you don't introduce new products during the holiday season. There are reasons for this. There is no legitimate rule that says you shouldn't introduce products during the winter months (Dec. to Feb.). Note than winter in the southern hemisphere is May to July.

Here are some products from Apple that launched during winter months. I had thought to list them all but decided that to waste that much time listed dozens and dozens of products is pointless when you choose not believe something without even the faintest consideration of making sure you were in any way correct. What you don?t see is anything from Apple launched in December and hardly anything in their entire history launched in November. The ones that are (I only looked at modern releases) are launched at the beginning of November, weeks before the busiest shopping day of the year in th US occurs.

Again, don?t think holiday shopping season equates to winter and therefore a January release is bad. In fact, CES, MacWorld and others take advantage of the lull after the holidays buy introducing new products. The problem is trying to change gears from the end of the quarter holiday sales rush to trying to show you all the new products as quickly as possible.

true

most tech companies dump off old models at xmas

come jan 13th all the new stuff comes out

so many times i bought at dec 23 and burned jan 12th .

all the wall street bonus money come out on jan 6th
  • Reply 84 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bro.nathan View Post

Here we go again with the Verizon iPhone...

Here we go again with antenna-gate
  • Reply 85 of 94
    Quote:

There is zero difference between this rumor and those from the past 4 years.

Thats not totally correct. Eventually there will be an iPhone on Verizon, so each new rumor has a better chance of being true than the last one, simple due to the passage of time. Eventually one of these BS rumors will turn out to be correct out of sheer luck. It may even be this one!
  • Reply 86 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AIaddict View Post

Thats not totally correct. Eventually there will be an iPhone on Verizon, so each new rumor has a better chance of being true than the last one, simple due to the passage of time. Eventually one of these BS rumors will turn out to be correct out of sheer luck. It may even be this one!

Every rumor has exactly zero chance of being correct unless it's based on actual fact. Saying a lie over and over again makes you an idiot, not a prophet.

If we see a non-Photoshopped Verizon phone list that mentions the iPhone and a release date and the thing comes out that day, that's a rumor that was correct.

This nonsense is nothing more than that.
  • Reply 87 of 94
    shadashshadash Posts: 470member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Every rumor has exactly zero chance of being correct unless it's based on actual fact. Saying a lie over and over again makes you an idiot, not a prophet.

If we see a non-Photoshopped Verizon phone list that mentions the iPhone and a release date and the thing comes out that day, that's a rumor that was correct.

This nonsense is nothing more than that.

That's the problem with rumors. You can't tell if they're going to be correct or not until after the fact. So there isn't really a reason for you to get so bent out of shape over them, is there?
  • Reply 88 of 94
    2006: Apple to announce new mobile phone with Verizon

2007: Apple to add Verizon

2008: Apple to add Verizon

2009: Apple to add Verizon

2010: Apple to add Verizon

2011: Apple to add Verizon
  • Reply 89 of 94
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    I'll wait until we get some videos from a reputable source in Vietnam.
  • Reply 90 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I'll wait until we get some videos from a reputable source in Vietnam.

Of course the iPhone in question won't even work there, so it would be completely pointless.
  • Reply 91 of 94
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

2006: Apple to announce new mobile phone with Verizon

2007: Apple to add Verizon

2008: Apple to add Verizon

2009: Apple to add Verizon

2010: Apple to add Verizon

2011: Apple to add Verizon

Eventually the wolf came.

I've been saying it doesn't make sense to jump into a Verizon phone since the first iPhone was introduced on AT&T, but for the last few months I've been saying their is enough circumstantial evidexe to think it's coming in 2011.
  • Reply 92 of 94
    Quote:

I?m thinking in terms of economics. It has nothing to do with Apple. Apple is not the only one who has ever released a product in January.

Besides that it?s Apple?s phone and Apple has to work within the confines of the non-infinite resources to source parts and produce products. I don?t think a Verizon iPhone is likely to launch in January, but I think it?s likely to announced.

Your comment and the one i responded to was inferring that ?no consumer device announced and launched in January? and "January is NOT a good month to launch a device. Heck, even apple knows this.?

I proved how utterly wrong your statement was and corrected your erroneous and un-researched conclusion. You are the one who is sidestepping saying that you meant only the iPhone on Verizon and not consumer electronics in general, despite nothing in your comments state that no cellphone should be launched in January or February, but other products can and often are launched in the later two winter months.?

Yes, because releasing a product ON CONTRACT less than a month after the biggest retail season makes total sense. Again.. it's not an issue IF they'll make money. That's a given. The question is how much money will they make. They won't make NEARLY as much than if they released 2 months earlier, or delayed the launch until late spring.

On top of that, Verizon WILL NOT LET Apple announce a device like that any further than a few weeks out, Period. The amount of returns, angry calls, and lost upgrades from an early announcement will destroy their numbers. Even if every person who didn't upgrade in that time got an Iphone (highly unlikely) it still won't be enough.

You've obviously never worked in or dealt with retail sales before, so I'll give you a pass on this, but the worst thing a company can do is announce a hotly anticipated item and then sit on it for MONTHS when their lifeblood is contracts. This isn't some consumer electronic, this is a device given on contract. ALL Verizon A-List launches are announced no more than a month before launch (with the possible exception of the Storm, and that was a software issue)

Quote:

Um, every smartphone was their competition. What you probably meant to say, thought don?t even realize it is that the iPhone came out so far ahead of the competition than it is now. This further destroys your already weak position as it would make even more people return their AT&T phones (if even that was a big issue for AT&T), when now they have competition which by definition means that Verizon?s other options can compete against the iPhone better than they could 4 years ago come january.

Wrong. The iphone at launch was NOT competing with winmo or BBerry. It was positioned from the start as a consumer electronics device, whereas those other options were for business. The concept of a consumer smartphone didn't really exist UNTIL the iphone launch. It also had none of the things that made it attractive to businesses at launch. So no, it didn't have competition.

Now, it has Android, WebOS, and Winmo7 to compete with. On top of that at the very least Android is far more profitable than iphone will be (unless you think apple will let them Bing the phone) and witheld upgrades to android for the iphone mean LESS profit. Announcing a device and then delaying it would kill Verizon's sales.

Not only would some android users (and blackberry users) not upgrade, but a lot of feature phone users would hold off upgrading as well. And then when the Iphone launches and it's NOT bogo and it STILL requires data, a lot of those people waiting won't end up upgrading to it in the first place.

If/When Verizon get's the iphone it will be announced within a month of launch, and they're not going to do a winter launch for a product that has such an interest. The only exception to this MIGHT be if it was a first wave LTE device, but all rumors out right now that you are quoting point to this not being the case.

Quote:

Okay, when you debate with fools there is a point that you become the bigger fool for letting it continue. I?m out. Enjoy your ignorant bliss.

You're right. It's pointless to argue with someone who counters an argument that Verizon won't launch a device in the winter by pointing out that our winter is summer in Australia.
  • Reply 93 of 94
    Quote:

On top of that, Verizon WILL NOT LET Apple announce a device like that any further than a few weeks out, Period.

Whoopdy frigging do. Did you see this happen on AT&T? Then don't assume crap.

Quote:

You've obviously never worked in or dealt with retail sales before, so I'll give you a pass on this, but the worst thing a company can do is announce a hotly anticipated item and then sit on it for MONTHS when their lifeblood is contracts.

Wasn't a problem with AT&T.

Quote:

Announcing a device and then delaying it would kill Verizon's sales.

Apple doesn't care. They care about their sales.

Quote:

And then when the Iphone launches and it's NOT bogo and it STILL requires data, a lot of those people waiting won't end up upgrading to it in the first place.

People bought the original iPhone at full price plus a two thousand dollar contract. You're underestimating people.
  • Reply 94 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Whoopdy frigging do. Did you see this happen on AT&T? Then don't assume crap.

Wasn't a problem with AT&T.

Apple doesn't care. They care about their sales.

People bought the original iPhone at full price plus a two thousand dollar contract. You're underestimating people.

ATT got it as an exclusive and they had NO OTHER COMPELLING DEVICES for consumers wanting more than a feature phone. They had blackberries (Business focused, glorified texting devices for anyone not in business) and Winmo (lol). NOt to mention, the iphone wasn't anticipated on ATT until the announcement. That was 4 years ago. Completely different

Verizon has the popular (and more profitable) Android system, as well as webOS and Windows7phone coming next year. They have no reason to agree to anything close to what ATT did. In fact, they didn't the first time

What apple cares about doesn't matter. Verizon doesn't need apple, Apple needs another carrier partner to continue signifigant growth and Verizon would mean the most potential growth.

There is Every reason to assume that any deal with Verizon will favor the carrier a lot more than what ATT has, so no, they won't be able to pull off a January announcement june launch on Big Red.