Verizon iPhone may be among first CDMA handsets to offer concurrent data and voice

13

Comments

  • Reply 41 of 72
    sambansamban Posts: 171member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post


    Does the HTC 7 Surround have a slide out surround speaker system with subwoofer and all?



    Can the HTC Surround wirelessly connect speakers and transmit audio while sending print jobs to a wireless printer connected over power line using inductive stealth data link & data scrambled using 64K-bit key. If, not then its not very useful for a average users.
  • Reply 42 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by appl View Post


    Just sayin'...



    Why do you put this on your posts? You say 'it', then post about saying it.
  • Reply 43 of 72
    applappl Posts: 348member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post


    Well I plugged my wifes' iphone into our theater system and played a movie through our system and it did play in surround sound, so I guess it support surround sound too since surround sound is encoded into the audio track.



    What sort of cable did you use? The Component cable? There's no way to use HDMI is there?





    I bought a composite cable with a 30 pin connector, but it didn't work, because it was from before Apple bonked everybody's cables with iOS 2.2. I'd consider a Component cable, but how did you get digital audio to come out of the iPhone?



    I thought all the cables output analog stereo via RCA plugs? Do you somehow get streaming digital audio out of a USB plug?



    What do you use for cables and connections with your wife's iPhone in order to get HD picture and 5.1 sound?
  • Reply 44 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post


    How several years late. Verizon is truly on the cutting edge.



    I approve this statement.
  • Reply 45 of 72
    applappl Posts: 348member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post


    So you think making the iPhone available to the 2/3s of the US market (Verizon + Sprint + maybe Tmobile) who it is currently unavailable to will only result in a "slight bump" in sales?




    Yes. Those carriers already have great alternative phones, unlike ATT. Lots of their former customers already switched to ATT to get an iPhone.



    At this point, I think that adding Verizon is too little to make much impact. Maybe a year ago? Not anymore.
  • Reply 46 of 72
    The EVO does Voice & Data on both CDMA & WiMax... Someone figured it out already. No need to argue...
  • Reply 47 of 72
    applappl Posts: 348member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pennywse View Post


    Why do you put this on your posts? You say 'it', then post about saying it.



    I usually don't. But this time around, I was responding in kind.
  • Reply 48 of 72
    sambansamban Posts: 171member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by appl View Post


    Exactly what I said: A verizon iPhone would be too little, too late. Android has already surpassed iOS and now M$ is poised to further disrupt things.



    If and when Apple expands its US carrier penetration, it won't matter. Apple is already losing market share in the US, and I don't think that a Verizon phone will change that, given that it would be (IMO) too little, and WAY too late.



    I, like many others, expect that Apple will retain somewhere around its current market share, or maybe somewhat less. I see little potential for domestic growth, given the (current) infrequent and (lately) disappointing product upgrades. I expect to see compelling choices from other manufacturers long before the iP5 is leaked, and I expect a slight bump in iP4 sales, maybe, if Apple is ever able to get their product onto Verizon, but not enough, and not soon enough.



    Why are you loosing your pant
  • Reply 49 of 72
    applappl Posts: 348member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samban View Post


    Why are you loosing your pant



    Is this some sort of weird reference to masturbation?



    I find it offensive in the extreme if that is the case. But in any event, I don't understand any point that you may be trying to convey.
  • Reply 50 of 72
    sambansamban Posts: 171member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post


    Oh my goodness. I need to ask my tailor to enlarge my trouser pockets.



    You will need truck, but how will make a facetime with this.
  • Reply 51 of 72
    sambansamban Posts: 171member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by appl View Post


    Is this some sort of weird reference to masturbation?



    I find it offensive in the extreme if that is the case. But in any event, I don't understand any point that you may be trying to convey.



    My point is whats bothering you even if apple looses & android wins or vice versa. Unless you are a stock holder (In that case also you don't really care, all you need is gains).



    If you like a product buy it. No one really cares about what you have done it's your choice. Why paste esoteric Marketing BS when it's not what the thread is all about or you needed a box to paste something that you are very happy to know
  • Reply 52 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post


    The point is CDMA does not work outside the US and the few countries who have CDMA is using a different version than VZ, so the only way a VZ phone works outside the US is it has to be a world phone so it support both GSM and CDMA.



    I realize that most people do travel outside the US, but, the fact the iphone works world wide allows the phone to keep high market value since it can be used everywhere unlike a VZ phone is only good to a VZ customers. The other issue is the fact that most VZ customer have no clue, I tries selling a GSM Palm phone advertise it as such and got all kinds of VZ customers trying to buy if and did not understand they it would not work form them.



    Are you saying that an AT&T iPhone can be unlocked and subscribed on other GSM carriers? OK, that's in theory easier to do than with a CDMA based phone.



    However, if you're implying a VZ phone can't be used off of the VZ network, you're wrong. Here are be radio specs for my current Verizonwireless smartphone (which I'd love to get rid of and get an iPhone if they become available on VZ):



    "Fully functional world phone that supports global roaming on 3G networks

    Quad-band: 850/900/1800/1900MHz GSM/GPRS/EDGE networks

    Single-band: 2100MHz UMTS/HSPA networks

    Dual-band: 800/1900MHz CDMA/EVDO Rev A networks"
  • Reply 53 of 72
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post


    Oh my goodness. I need to ask my tailor to enlarge my trouser pockets.



    That isn't necessary. Wear them as earrings.
  • Reply 54 of 72
    r00fusr00fus Posts: 245member
    Apple/iOS = Protoss

    Google/Android = Terran



    so who is Zerg?
  • Reply 55 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samban View Post


    My point is whats bothering you even if apple looses & android wins or vice versa. Unless you are a stock holder (In that case also you don't really care, all you need is gains).



    If you like a product buy it. No one really cares about what you have done it's your choice. Why paste esoteric Marketing BS when it's not what the thread is all about or you needed a box to paste something that you are very happy to know



    Samban, can you please not continue your conversation with appl? It's already taking up too much space of useless oneupmanship with this troll.
  • Reply 56 of 72
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hudson1 View Post


    "Fully functional world phone that supports global roaming on 3G networks

    Quad-band: 850/900/1800/1900MHz GSM/GPRS/EDGE networks

    Single-band: 2100MHz UMTS/HSPA networks

    Dual-band: 800/1900MHz CDMA/EVDO Rev A networks"



    To be clear "fully functional", "world phone" and " global roaming" is marketing jargon. While it an easily be deemed correct because of the vastness of GSM it's not completely upfront in what services it supports. You have to look at the UMTS operating band to see that it only supports one band which makes it's 3G very limited.



    This is the problem with Sprint and Verizon commissioning these phones to work outside N. America but limiting their "world mode"-ness by only making them viable on their home network in N. America. Don't gt me wrong, it's good business for those carriers but wouldn't make sense for Apple, hence the issue they have to face on top of the other issues I mentioned with this option type.
  • Reply 57 of 72
    rbrrbr Posts: 631member
    The timing of the Verizon iPhone is interesting. It is happening at a time when it appears that Verizon is going to begin transitioning to (4G) LTE, as is Sprint. Does that mean that the Verizon iPhone will be a legacy device when released or will Apple have one that is LTE capable?
  • Reply 58 of 72
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RBR View Post


    The timing of the Verizon iPhone is interesting. It is happening at a time when it appears that Verizon is going to begin transitioning to (4G) LTE, as is Sprint. Does that mean that the Verizon iPhone will be a legacy device when released or will Apple have one that is LTE capable?



    Verizon's marketing and our desire to always want the "latest and greatest" makes us think sure things but recall that LTE isn't even close to covering Verizon's network yet and there aren't a huge array of LTE handsets on the market anywhere. Now consider the huge success of the first iPhone which was EDGE-only in a world that did have extensive 3G coverage with hundreds of 3G handsets on the market worldwide. Tech isn't very efficient at this point and probably offers very little speed gains over HSPA. We can look to the EVO 4G as an example of being first doesn't mean being best. For these reasons I wouldn't expect an LTE iPhone until 2012 at the earliest.
  • Reply 59 of 72
    hudson1hudson1 Posts: 800member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    To be clear "fully functional", "world phone" and " global roaming" is marketing jargon. While it an easily be deemed correct because of the vastness of GSM it's not completely upfront in what services it supports. You have to look at the UMTS operating band to see that it only supports one band which makes it's 3G very limited.



    This is the problem with Sprint and Verizon commissioning these phones to work outside N. America but limiting their "world mode"-ness by only making them viable on their home network in N. America. Don't gt me wrong, it's good business for those carriers but wouldn't make sense for Apple, hence the issue they have to face on top of the other issues I mentioned with this option type.



    Why don't you just tell us where these phones won't work and be done with it? As far as I know from people who use the same VZ phone as I have, they don't work in Peru. I'm not aware of any other place. That's not to say there aren't places but I doubt it's any place common for an American to find themselves.
  • Reply 60 of 72
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hudson1 View Post


    Why don't you just tell us where these phones won't work and be done with it? As far as I know from people who use the same VZ phone as I have, they don't work in Peru. I'm not aware of any other place. That's not to say there aren't places but I doubt it's any place common for an American to find themselves.



    I thought I was done with and I thought I was crystal clear in my statement. It sounds like you've fallen for the marketing and have ignored you own posting of the lack of UMTS bands.
Sign In or Register to comment.