Apple awarded several key multi-touch patents

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 67
    Apple has really done a great job on Muti-touch . Iphone supports 5 muti-touches and ipad supports 11... What else devices can give u this?? NONE.... I believe Imac touch would be a reinvention of touch desktop!!
  • Reply 62 of 67
    jason98jason98 Posts: 768member
    Here is what the competitors are going to end up with after litigation with Apple:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kb9pXXwxViA

Watch it. It is really funny.
  • Reply 63 of 67
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rain View Post

Not playing dumb, just having some fun with the local trolls who actually think Apple invented & came up with the idea of 'pinch to zoom' on a computer device... which they didn't.

Fair enough, but let's face it, having an idea is easy .... I do it every day. The real trick is developing that idea into a product and bringing to market. That is the true genius of Apple and nobody does that better than Apple. I think that most people actually realize that.
  • Reply 64 of 67
    What is the point? All the big boys just use the tech anyway. Court cases take decades and by the time anything has happened only the lawyers win.
  • Reply 65 of 67
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Maybe the HG Wells family trust should sue NASA.

A work of fiction using special effects is not "prior art".

Quote:

I saw pinch to zoom and all the other gestures in the movie 'Minority Report' back in 2002.

Steven Spielberg should sue Apple for patent rights.

This patent was applied for in December 2005.

So Apple has a time travel patent somewhere, do they?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lynn616 View Post

Jeff Han at TED Feb 2006.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLnNG...ext=1&index=12

Apple did not invent Multi-touch.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by delventhalz View Post

Notice his extensive use of the multi-touch pinch-to-zoom at 0:45.

When was he demoing this?

February 2006

When was the iPhone released?

January 2007

Force them to innovate and come up with their own methods, don't you mean, leading to more choice for consumers.

Nokia was doing ok with circle to zoom on the n900 until they joined the others on the easier route of copying Apple.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tjw View Post

And eliminate all competition in the mobile industry. Stupidest idea I have heard from the fan boys on here yet, and that is saying something!

• Reply 66 of 67
    rainrain Posts: 538member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

Fair enough, but let's face it, having an idea is easy .... I do it every day. The real trick is developing that idea into a product and bringing to market. That is the true genius of Apple and nobody does that better than Apple. I think that most people actually realize that.

You have a point... but the problem is that patents are for idea's, not products.

Products are something you invest in once you have the patent, or a working model.

What we see today is companies patenting basic human movement or speech or pure logic. People can't get simple medication because mega bio corps have patents on chemical equations. Even the human genome is being patented. Vivendi is still trying to patent water, and has been successful on several of them.

... and in the end, how is this working out for the global economy and people's lives?

Pinch to zoom should not have been allowed to be patented. Neither should have 1 click shopping.

Patent the technology behind it, but not the human interaction.
  • Reply 67 of 67
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:

You have a point... but the problem is that patents are for idea's, not products. ........

...... Pinch to zoom should not have been allowed to be patented. Neither should have 1 click shopping.

Patent the technology behind it, but not the human interaction.

I may very well be wrong on this, but I'm assuming that the patents are for the process of making the gesture work on a computer, not for the gesture itself .... no?