Verizon to offer data plans for iPad of up to 5GB for $50, with a catch

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Following its initial announcement on sales of the iPad this morning, Verizon has provided more detailed information on the MiFi 2200 rates and data plans it intends to offer customers alongside the Apple tablet when it goes on sale at company stores beginning October 28th.

In addition to the 1GB data plan for $20 per month announced earlier, Verizon now says it will also offer a 3GB plan for $35 and a 5GB plan for $50. Those rates are available at steep discounts to the wireless carrier's typical offerings, which cost $35 for 250MB and $60 for 5GB.

There is one catch: customers must purchase a WiFi iPad and Verizon MiFi 2200 Intelligent Mobile Hotspot together as a bundle to get the discounted data plan prices. Even customers who already own a MiFi 2200 but don't own an iPad aren't eligible for the rates should they choose to buy an iPad from Verizon, according to a set of frequently asked questions.

Users who go over their monthly quota will see some relief, however, as Verizon has followed AT&T's lead in charging just $10 extra for each additional 1GB on both the $35 and $50 plan. The carrier is hoping customers choose one of those pricer plans and is giving them an incentive to do so by charging double -- $20 per additional 1GB -- on the low-end $20 plan.

By comparison, AT&T is offering two plans at heftier rates: $14.99 per month for 250MB and $25 per month for 2GB. While AT&T and Verizon require that users agree to a service agreement when applying to use their 3G services, both services are available on a month-to-month basis with no termination fee.

As for Verizon's bundle pricing, mentioned earlier, a MiFi 2200 Intelligent Mobile Hotspot and 16GB iPad will sell for $629.99. The 32GB model and hotspot will retail for $729.99 while the 64GB iPad combo will sell for $829.99.

Verizon's MiFi 2200 Intelligent Mobile Hotspot typically costs $299 on its own, or between $0.01 and $50 with a new 2-year service agreement.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 52
    This is definitely a better deal than AT&T and is best for people who:

1. Planning on buying an iPad

2. Data hungry

3. Doesn't own a mifi

4. Doesn't mind carrying an extra device (small and the size of credit card)

5. Doesn't want to be tied to a (or another on top of their phone) contract

Plus mifi can be used on devices other than an iPad..

Then again whether people choose the wifi iPad on VZ or 3G iPad on AT&T depends on preference and needs.
  • Reply 2 of 52
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    The wifi-only iPad lacks GPS and, aside from being inconvenient to tote around and keep charged, the Mifi has power management issues (e.g. short battery-life and automatic power-down to conserve power). The Mifi will support multiple devices, however, at no additional charge, whereas the iPad 3G costs $10/month extra for tethering.

AT&T's iPad plans are not generally offered at heftier rates. AT&T offers a plan for as little as $15; AT&T's 2 GB plan is only $5 more than Verizon's 1 GB plan; and 3 GB costs the same ($35) on both carriers, using AT&T's 2 GB plan ($25) plus an optional 1 GB overage ($10). Unless you're a heavy mobile Internet user, the AT&T 2 GB plan looks much better.
  • Reply 3 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Following its initial announcement on sales of the iPad this morning, Verizon has provided more detailed information on the MiFi 2200 rates and data plans it intends to offer customers alongside the Apple tablet when it goes on sale at company stores beginning October 28th.

In addition to the 1GB data plan for $20 per month announced earlier, Verizon now says it will also offer a 3GB plan for $35 and a 5GB plan for $50. Those rates are available at steep discounts to the wireless carrier's typical offerings, which cost $35 for 250MB and $60 for 5GB.

There is one catch: customers much purchase a WiFi iPad and Verizon MiFi 2200 Intelligent Mobile Hotspot together as a bundle to get the discounted data plan prices. Even customers who already own a MiFi 2200 but don't own an iPad aren't eligible for the rates should they choose to buy an iPad from Verizon, according to set of frequently asked questions.

Users who go over their monthly quota will see some relief, however, as Verizon has followed AT&T's lead in charging just $10 extra for each additional 1GB on both the $35 and $50 plan. The carrier is hoping customers choose one of those pricer plans and is giving them an incentive to do so by charging double -- $20 per additional 1GB -- on the low-end $20 plan.

By comparison, AT&T is offering two plans at heftier rates: $14.99 per month for 250MB and $25 per month for 2GB. While AT&T and Verizon require that users agree to a service agreement when applying to use their 3G services, both services are available on a month-to-month basis with no termination fee.

As for Verizon's bundle pricing, mentioned earlier, a MiFi 2200 Intelligent Mobile Hotspot and 16GB iPad will sell for $629.99. The 32GB model and hotspot will retail for $729.99 while the 64GB iPad combo will sell for $829.99.

Verizon's MiFi 2200 Intelligent Mobile Hotspot typically costs $299 on its own, or between $0.01 and $50 with a new 2-year service agreement.

I think it is a given that the iPad (and probably the iPhone) will come to VZW next year. I think I will wait for v2 of the iPad. It will have a camera and a few other goodies (and I am almost certain it will be thinner and lighter because everything goes that direction every year). It will most likely have a VZW radio in it too so I don't need to carry a separate device.

I am not in dire need for an iPad to the point where I want to buy the current model. I will definitely be getting a pad device next year, either Apple or Android, depending on who has the best device when the time comes for me to get one.
  • Reply 4 of 52
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

The wifi-only iPad lacks GPS

I've seen this mentioned a few times today. Why does this even matter? What apps are you using that would require GPS on a regular basis? And can't the iPad do Wi-Fi triangulation to get your location?
  • Reply 5 of 52
    The Verizon plans don't sound all that great.

Virgin Mobile sells the standalone MiFi 2200 for $150 (temporarily out of stock). You can get unlimited data for $40/month or 100MB for ten days, no contract for either. As an MVNO (they don't have their own cellular towers), they are using the Sprint network.

So for twenty dollars more than the Verizon deal, you can get the 16GB iPad, the MiFi and unlimited data from Virgin Mobile. After two months on Virgin Mobile, you'll have recouped the twenty dollar difference, but there's no contract like with Verizon.
  • Reply 6 of 52
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

I've seen this mentioned a few times today. Why does this even matter? What apps are you using that would require GPS on a regular basis?

Maps would be a commonly used app. Buyers can decide for themselves what's important to them and how often would be too much to forego with the wifi-only model.

Quote:

And can't the iPad do Wi-Fi triangulation to get your location?

If it works--if a stationary access point is nearby--wifi location has low accuracy, is sometimes completely wrong, and will not track your movement well at all. Cellular triangulation might be completely wrong less often, but it is still inaccurate, and doesn't track well.
  • Reply 7 of 52
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:

Maps would be a commonly used app. Buyers can decide for themselves what's important to them and how often would be too much to forego with the wifi-only model.

If it works--if a stationary access point is nearby--wifi location has low accuracy, is sometimes completely wrong, and will not track your movement well at all. Cellular triangulation might be completely wrong less often, but it is still inaccurate, and doesn't track well.

People actually carry around an iPad to use a location finder using Maps? Don't people usually have smartphones for that?

My point is, the iPad is too large an ungainly to use as a GPS locator unless you're using it in your car... and even then it's still too large.
  • Reply 8 of 52
    Quote:

Actually, I've use WiFi triangulation on my WiFi-only iPad tethered to my iPhone 4 and if you're within a city area, it's surprisingly accurate. There are a lot of WiFi networks out there that an iPad can detect but doesn't see as worthy enough to connect to for data transmission.
  • Reply 9 of 52
    What no one else seems to have brought up is how this reduces the iPad battery life. I use to wifi tether my iPhone 2g to my iPad, totally ate up the battery. I assume the slower data transfers through ATT 2G (which isn't that much slower than verizon 3g) meant the iPad had to transfer data longer to load whatever I was viewing, therefore putting more drain on the battery. I expect the mifi to maybe sometimes eat up almost twice as much power as it would on a real wifi network. Plus being on "fake" wifi means youtube and netflix will be super sluggish, and god forbid you download a wifi only app and have to keep your hotspot on.

Thank god where I love ATT couldn't be better, I would hate to have to use Verizon..
  • Reply 10 of 52
    Quote:

People actually carry around an iPad to use a location finder using Maps? Don't people usually have smartphones for that?

My point is, the iPad is too large an ungainly to use as a GPS locator unless you're using it in your car... and even then it's still too large.

One thing I think is cool with Apps is that ince you paid for it, the app can be on each of you "isynced" device. I have Navigon on my phone, & it also works (for no extra money) on my iPad. When I am traveling in a car without built in GPS, i think navigation is great on the iPad, not too large, but very readable. Also it means I can make calls without having to move the GPS screen away from the driver. I bought, and recommend iPad to people with the 3G chip for that reason, that it has gps. Besides, since with ATT the 3G is sort of pay as you need (monthly basis) having the 3G capability is worthwhile, even if its for the couple of times a year you travel (vacation) for a few weeks.
  • Reply 11 of 52
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

I've seen this mentioned a few times today. Why does this even matter? What apps are you using that would require GPS on a regular basis? And can't the iPad do Wi-Fi triangulation to get your location?

It's useful. Triangulation isn't nearly as accurate. I've got a GPS program which works very well. In addition, using maps in a place you're not familiar with can give you a very good walking route. You really need GPS for that.
  • Reply 12 of 52
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

The big screen makes it much easier to use.
  • Reply 13 of 52
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Virgin Mobile sells the standalone MiFi 2200 for $150 (temporarily out of stock). You can get unlimited data for $40/month or 100MB for ten days, no contract for either. As an MVNO (they don't have their own cellular towers), they are using the Sprint network.

So for twenty dollars more than the Verizon deal, you can get the 16GB iPad, the MiFi and unlimited data from Virgin Mobile. After two months on Virgin Mobile, you'll have recouped the twenty dollar difference, but there's no contract like with Verizon.

Depends on what you need. If all I need is 1 GB/month, paying Virgin $40 is going to cost me double what Verizon charges. Even the 3 GB plan, which would be plenty for probably 90% of the people, would save me $5/month over Virgin's plan.

As for the contract, yes, there's a contract, but it's not a two year service agreement. It's month-to-month. Only pay for the months you need, no termination fee. It's just the agreement for service under those terms. No different than your Virgin service.

Quote:

The iPad is too large and ungainly in general. But that's a whole 'nother conversation.
  • Reply 14 of 52
    No thanks Verizon....I may be over reacting here, but this seems like typical Verizon overcharging tactics....I just want an iPad 3Gs with an affordable plan.

Why do I have to pay $30/mo for an iPhone Data plan, $30/mo for an iPad data plan and $60 for tethering...and $30 for cable internet at home! Man oh Man? Am I missing something?

Best
  • Reply 15 of 52
    hudson1hudson1 Posts: 800member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

VirginMobileUSA have had their own towers since last year when they were bought by Sprint Nextel.
  • Reply 16 of 52
    Quote:

With the GPS a good navigation app will work even if you don't have lots of wifi and you choose to let the 3G lapse, so that's a bonus.

There have also been some comments about using a smartphone instead of getting the extra features on an iPad. I am likely the minority out here... but I have chosen not to commit to 2 (or 3) years of data on a smartphone. The iPad is my sweet spot... pay for data when I want to, don't pay for data when I'm poor.

I just considered what an inexpensive gps system would cost and counted my extra 130 bucks as the purchase of one of those systems... but with a bigger/clearer screen.
  • Reply 17 of 52
    These high prices are stilfing innovation.
  • Reply 18 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

This is definitely a better deal than AT&T and is best for people who:

1. Planning on buying an iPad

2. Data hungry

3. Doesn't own a mifi

4. Doesn't mind carrying an extra device (small and the size of credit card)

5. Doesn't want to be tied to a (or another on top of their phone) contract

Plus mifi can be used on devices other than an iPad..

Then again whether people choose the wifi iPad on VZ or 3G iPad on AT&T depends on preference and needs.

If I simply want an iPad to use on wifii, this won't work at all. If it fits for some, then ok. But if it doesn't fit for others, then, it doesn't fit. Some will like it, and some won't. That's the beauty of choice. We get what we like.
  • Reply 19 of 52
    sirozhasirozha Posts: 801member
    Apple should have included GPS with the Wi-Fi iPad. I hope this will happen in iPad v2. Personally, I will be getting an iPad with 3G just to be able to replace a laptop with an iPad while traveling. However, I can see that there may be some folks wishing to buy a Wi-Fi only iPad with GPS. For instance, those who walk to work (or take public transportation) can use the Run Meter app to measure the distance they cover on foot every day while having the iPad in a briefcase. Those who drive can purchase a GPS app and use a Wi-Fi only iPad as a GPS device in their car. It's kind of silly to exclude GPS from the Wi-Fi only iPad.
  • Reply 20 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CharlesYFarley View Post

Bend over and get your Apple now!

One always looks like a douche when they try to make a witty pun and follow it up laughing at their own wittiness.