Categorizing iPad as PC would make Apple largest in US market

Comments

• Reply 21 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

What is your current desktop or laptop? If you are using a laptop are now planing on getting a desktop for your next machine over a laptop after using the iPad?

solip - aside from being an early adopter, i bought an iPad in order to delay the need for updating my aging macbook. The macbook will be replaced by an iMac. I imagine I'm not the only one with this setup.
  • Reply 22 of 121
    Irrelevant. It's NOT a PC it does no more than 10% of what a PC could do.

Unless, of course, you could install Linux on the thing.
  • Reply 23 of 121
    Quote:

Uh oh! An entire article first thing Monday morning about what defines a ?PC? that will surely be filled with silly archaic or root definitions of the separate words to defend a silly premise that has no baring to how language in used or evolves. #DebatingLeavingAppleInsiderForTheDay

An attempt at a preemptive strike?
  • Reply 24 of 121
    Quote:

That opens up another can of worms when you consider how many products contain microprocessors. It might be easier to list what doesn't have them.

Correct. If the iPad can be a PC then why not every smartphone and that just a start. The term PC would be a very hard definition to pindown these days.
  • Reply 25 of 121
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleStud View Post

solip - aside from being an early adopter, i bought an iPad in order to delay the need for updating my aging macbook. The macbook will be replaced by an iMac. I imagine I'm not the only one with this setup.

I think that will be pretty common sentiment. The iPad is a satellite computer that will allow many to go back to having a desktop as their rooted computer.

I have to wonder if we?ll see a surge in desktop sales in today?s stats.
  • Reply 26 of 121
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,825member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bcahill009 View Post

...The iPad runs ios not osx ...

iOS IS OS X, it just isn't the Mac version of OS X however. \
  • Reply 27 of 121
    I'll call it a PC when it stops needing a PC to do everything.

I still need a PC to print, to write software, to centrally manage my files, to store the 160 GB of music I have, to play the most current games, to type on comfortably for long periods of time, to draw on, to do 3D modelling and animation, to handle nonlinear video editing ...

(inhale)

... to burn DVDs for the rest of my family, to connect to all those USB-based peripherals that don't have SD cards, to post comments on blogs, to have more than a 1024x768 view of the internet, to have an HID that's more precise than my thumb or fingertip, to read those silly Flash-based e-cards I get ...

... to do with it whatever I want, whether Steve Jobs likes it or not.
  • Reply 28 of 121
    I guess the argument could be that an iPad is not a stand-alone device. You must have a primary computer (at this point) to sync with. I think that will change and the iPad will become a cloud-based device with version 2.0.

But who cares. I'd rather the iPad fly under the radar as long as it can until Apple dominates the whole computer, smart phone and media player landscapes together.
  • Reply 29 of 121
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post

iOS IS OS X, it just isn't the Mac version of OS X however. \

iOS is based on OSX. Even Apple hasn't continued to market the two as the same thing.
  • Reply 30 of 121
    But it's not a PC, so why even bother with the if it was argument?
  • Reply 31 of 121
    applappl Posts: 348member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Reclassifying the iPad as a PC in terms of sales would catapult Apple past rivals Dell and HP, elevating the Mac maker to the No. 1 computer manufacturer in the U.S., one Wall Street analyst has noted.

Then they should include the ipod Touch too! The two products have basically the same guts.
  • Reply 32 of 121
    Quote:

Uh oh! An entire article first thing Monday morning about what defines a ?PC? that will surely be filled with silly archaic or root definitions of the separate words to defend a silly premise that has no baring to how language in used or evolves. #DebatingLeavingAppleInsiderForTheDay

It's simple really -- all we need do is agree what comprises a "proper" computer running a "proper" OS. Those discussing productivity or usability are just muddying the water..
  • Reply 33 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Then again the 'other side' like to include net-books .. oops that just fuels the argument doesn't it?

Why wouldn't a netbook be included in the definition of pc? They are exactly within the definition. 100% the same as any other PC, just smaller and with lesser specs than some others.
  • Reply 34 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Even Ballmer consider the tablets, slates, and the iPad PCs.

If the definition is good enough for Ballmer, seemingly, it is good enough for ... who?
  • Reply 35 of 121
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    It's gonna be interesting to see the palm hp tablet when it comes out. Dell has positioned itself with the android crew, so whatever hp isnworking on better be pretty spectacular for them to turn not running android into an advantage/ differentiation factor.
  • Reply 36 of 121
    Quote:

Actually, the iPad runs a flavour of OS X now called iOS.

The ipad runs OS X? News to me.
  • Reply 37 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by appl View Post

Why wouldn't a netbook be included in the definition of pc? They are exactly within the definition. 100% the same as any other PC, just smaller and with lesser specs than some others.

Why would they? Why wouldn't they? We could debate the semantics until hell freezes over and still not have decided anything. But, it seems:

Quote:

Intel CEO Paul Otellini said during his company?s recent earnings call that tablet numbers ?are relatively small in the grand scheme of the ship rate of the PC, notebook, netbook businesses,? according to a transcript of Intel?s earnings call on Seeking Alpha. AMD CEO Dirk Meyer said the chipmaker is not ready to invest R&D spending on tablets, because the market size doesn?t warrant it yet, according to CNET.

http://www.macworld.com/article/1549...?lsrc=rss_main

There you go, every device is in a category by itself. I suggest breaking out black netbooks from gray netbooks, since they must certainly appeal to different market segments.
  • Reply 38 of 121
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

Right now, I wouldn't define an iPad as a PC when an iTunes sync is required.

I think that right there is the key factor. As long as I need a PC to set the thing up and manage it's content, it's not a PC. Right now the iPad is primarily a client device, a consumer of content (whether it be photos, documents, email, web, etc). The Photo application is a prime example. Great for viewing photos, but you can't organize, edit, or tag your photos. You are 100% dependant on your PC to manage your photos.

Quote:

I think that will be pretty common sentiment. The iPad is a satellite computer that will allow many to go back to having a desktop as their rooted computer.

I have to wonder if we’ll see a surge in desktop sales in today’s stats.

I doubt it would show in today's stats. I think there will be an effect like this, but it will be a slow trend for at least a year before it's noticable (ie, distinct enough of a trend to be attributable to tablets as opposed to normal activity). It will take time for a significant number of people to be comfortable with the iPad to forgo a computer purchase. And it will depend on how aggressive Apple is with v2. (And this is where I think a smaller version, combined with today's 9.7" model, would accelerate sales even more.)
  • Reply 39 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nonarKitten View Post

I'll call it a PC when it stops needing a PC to do everything.

I still need a PC to print, to write software, to centrally manage my files, to store the 160 GB of music I have, to play the most current games, to type on comfortably for long periods of time, to draw on, to do 3D modelling and animation, to handle nonlinear video editing ...

(inhale)

... to burn DVDs for the rest of my family, to connect to all those USB-based peripherals that don't have SD cards, to post comments on blogs, to have more than a 1024x768 view of the internet, to have an HID that's more precise than my thumb or fingertip, to read those silly Flash-based e-cards I get ...

... to do with it whatever I want, whether Steve Jobs likes it or not.

Then get a netbook. Problem solved.
  • Reply 40 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jmmx View Post

The odd thing is that someone will say something like "The iPhone, which is more of a portable computer than just a phone?" Then they will turn around and argue that an iPad is not really a computer.

... If Donald is a Duck... and, Pluto is a Dog... then, what is Goofey?

... If a Netbook is a Computer... And an iPad is a big iPod... then, what is an AppleTV?