Unverified report claims Mac OS X 10.7 to adopt iOS interface elements

Comments

• Reply 21 of 138
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JakeTheRock View Post

So this confirms that 10.7 is Lion then, look at the "Back to the Mac" image they have.

If they update the MacBook Pros significantly, I might just cry.

Quit reading into that image. It's just a fucking lion and and Apple logo.
  • Reply 22 of 138
    cindercinder Posts: 381member
    RE: The scrollbars

Think about this - look just like the iOS scrollbars and they fade out a second after the mouse stops moving.

If you want them back, scroll, move the mouse, hit a key.

Simple.

They get out of the way when you don't need to see them.

Sounds great to me.
  • Reply 23 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Meanwhile 7 seems to have accomplished the task of duplicating XP without so many problems as Vista.

It didn't duplicate XP - it's slower.
  • Reply 24 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

Now, as to when Finder will disappear from Mac OS, maybe it will be an option by the

Mac OS 11 timeframe, say about 2013. You know how there are iMacs and Mac Pros,

MacBooks and MacBook Pros? Well how about a Mac OS and Mac OS Pro? And only

the Pro version has the Finder...

Mac OS Pro?

How about Mac OS Starter, Mac OS Home Basic, Mac OS Home Premium, Mac OS Professional and Mac OS Enterprise and Mac OS Ultimate?

It's not Apple's way of doing things. This is so Microsoft.
  • Reply 25 of 138
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

It didn't duplicate XP - it's slower.

Ooops ... sorry to over claim for it.
  • Reply 26 of 138
    Quote:

Quit reading into that image. It's just a fucking lion and and Apple logo.

Except for the fact that every time Apple has a graphic for an invitation, it actually means something. Lighten up Francis.
  • Reply 27 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cinder View Post

RE: The scrollbars

Think about this - look just like the iOS scrollbars and they fade out a second after the mouse stops moving.

If you want them back, scroll, move the mouse, hit a key.

Simple.

They get out of the way when you don't need to see them.

Sounds great to me.

Actually, that's the first thing I thought about and it sounds like a bad thing. I don't think they'll disappear. Makes sense on a tablet or a phone, not so much on a Mac.
  • Reply 28 of 138
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

OSX and iOS will merge eventually.. Maybe a couple years.. After 10.7 perhaps..

No question about it. It can be done. It's the same under the hood. it's just the messy human interface parts that need to co-exist. If we could just get rid of the crappy users, it would be easier, but no, Apple insists on backwards compatibility. I swear, they're becoming like MS!

Seriously though, i'm sure it will be done, though we'll see it a bit here.

I believe that Apple wants one OS for everything. Not impossible. Not all features have to be expressed all the time. Like modal menus, what appears is what's needed.
  • Reply 29 of 138
    Quote:

Ooops ... sorry to over claim for it.

It is better than XP though. It's just slower to startup, mainly. Apple could learn a couple of things from 7 actually. For example, their contextual option to make a photo your desktop image is first, in OS X it's down bottom. That makes no sense. And 7 has better mouse-tracking software. Most everything else OS excels at, however.
  • Reply 30 of 138
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Actually, that's the first thing I thought about and it sounds like a bad thing. I don't think they'll disappear. Makes sense on a tablet or a phone, not so much on a Mac.

I think it sounds great, but would like them to not appear at all but have some delimiter that you aren?t at the end of the window. I can?t recall the last time I used scroll bars on Safari or Mail or pretty much any other app. Two finger scrolling all the way!
  • Reply 31 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stldoug View Post

Except for the fact that every time Apple has a graphic for an invitation, it actually means something. Lighten up Francis.

Yeah, that iPad splashy-paint graphic meant a whole lot. I'm not angry at all, I just typed the work fuck. Big deal.

The Apple logo is there because it's Apple. The title of the invitation says it all: Back to the Mac. It's a play on the movie title: Back to the Future, and it means Apple are getting back to talking about the Mac. And the Lion means: Mac OS X 10.7 Lion. Happy?

The issue I have is when people over-analyse the friggin' thing. Let's wait a see. Expect new MacBook Airs. Expect demos and talk and a whole lot of marketing for 10.7, and expect Steve to have put on a couple pounds, or not.
  • Reply 32 of 138
    Quote:

I don't get this. The mouse is more productive than the trackpad. It just is. It's more accurate, and more definitely more quickly.

True, but I can imagine that over time with improvements in the hardware and software one could match the accuracy and speed of a mouse with a track pad. In the end the same process occurs, the movement of an object, be it a mouse or a finger, is moving an on screen curser. In both cases the brain has to learn to judge the motion on screen which is in a different visual plane and disassociated physically with the hand movements. This is a complex procedure we are not even conscious of till it goes wrong most times. I can see a stylus being a nice addition to a future OS for fine, on screen selections where finger gestures do the bulk of the manipulation as it would be used directly on the required point on the screen. I see all these options being good to keep and no reason to make any redundant.
  • Reply 33 of 138
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

No they won?t. For them to ?merge? into one OS would mean that the version that comes installed on a Mac would also run on any iDevice. This simply won?t happen. Mac OS will get aspects of iOS that people are familiar with and have been made more efficient from when it was required for the port from Mac OS, like the QuickTime X framework, but they will be separate OSes.

Actually, Take QuickTime X in SL. The interface were rewritten for Mac OS. There are similar aspects and they use the same underlying core technologies, but it?s still a very different app.

Oh, I disagree!

i'm sure it will happen. I don't see a problem either. That doesn't mean that the programming will be easy, but it can be done. We're mostly talking about UI. Everything else is hidden from the user to some extent.

As portable devices get more powerful, as they get higher resolution, as they get more memory, they will be able to handle more powerful OS's. I see no reason why Apple can't make their OS know what device it's on, and display the UI needed for that. That's easy.

If you take an iMac, and slide it down, touch could expand to take over more of the UI than it had in a vertical position. If you have a keyboard, it could continue to use that, if not, then one would appear on the screen. If yu choose not to use it that way, you could touch a spot, and it would go back to a mostly mouse oriented UI, with a few useful touch elements still active. You could even choose what in the preferences.

I can see so many ways this would work.
  • Reply 34 of 138
    Quote:

True, but I can imagine that over time with improvements in the hardware and software one could match the accuracy and speed of a mouse with a track pad.

I don't see it.
  • Reply 35 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I think it sounds great, but would like them to not appear at all but have some delimiter that you aren?t at the end of the window. I can?t recall the last time I used scroll bars on Safari or Mail or pretty much any other app. Two finger scrolling all the way!

No way, José.
  • Reply 36 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stldoug View Post

Who's Francis?
  • Reply 37 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Oh, I disagree!

i'm sure it will happen. I don't see a problem either. That doesn't mean that the programming will be easy, but it can be done. We're mostly talking about UI. Everything else is hidden from the user to some extent.

As portable devices get more powerful, as they get higher resolution, as they get more memory, they will be able to handle more powerful OS's. I see no reason why Apple can't make their OS know what device it's on, and display the UI needed for that. That's easy.

If you take an iMac, and slide it down, touch could expand to take over more of the UI than it had in a vertical position. If you have a keyboard, it could continue to use that, if not, then one would appear on the screen. If yu choose not to use it that way, you could touch a spot, and it would go back to a mostly mouse oriented UI, with a few useful touch elements still active. You could even choose what in the preferences.

I can see so many ways this would work.

There is a big difference between sharing some higher-level code and using the same foundation, and making them into one unified OS. It?s simply not going not happen.
  • Reply 38 of 138
    Quote:

Who's Francis?

Who?s José?
  • Reply 39 of 138
    Quote:

I don't see it.

There is some humorous irony for me in this discussion. I was trying to convince graphic artists they could use a mouse way back at the launch if Illustrator. They laughingly referred to it as 'drawing with a brick'.
  • Reply 40 of 138
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    Quote:

Who's Francis?

Sgt Hulka comment to 'Psycho' in the movie Stripes. Cant believe I remember this stuff.