Verizon to sell 7-inch Samsung Galaxy Tab Nov. 11 for $600

Comments

• Reply 41 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That?s why you need this Samsung Tab accessory.

Are you talking about the geeky guy to carry it around for you or the coat?
  • Reply 42 of 74
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hattig View Post

You can't compete with Apple by offering less for more money.

7" display is less.

But sometimes less is more. Apple certainly thought so with the new iPod nano. Same price for a less functional, smaller screened device. Hm, sound familiar?
  • Reply 43 of 74
    The tablet race will become exceedingly interesting once both the iPad and the (name your Android-based) Pad are offered through the same retail vendors. Finally, we'll be able to see how the tablet wars play out when each companys' devices are offered by the same outlets. I believe it is very unlikely that Verizon -- or any carrier and/or hardware maker -- will be able to create the "magic" around their tablet products that Apple does around theirs. I don't think it'll matter how "spec'd out" a particular tablet might be. If it isn't magical and the price point is only marginally different than the iPad, people will reach for the iPad most of the time. Let the battle begin! Can't wait to see how it plays out.
  • Reply 44 of 74
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    So for an extra $30 you get a MiFi box with the iPad. Bargain.

Hold on, is it a wifi 16gb iPad(non 3g) plus a 3G mifi? Because you would be better with noexpectations suggestion (post below this one)
  • Reply 45 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

So for an extra $30 you get a MiFi box with the iPad. Bargain.

For an extra $30 you can get the 3G+wifi+GPS model at Apple! (or Target or Best Buy or.......)
  • Reply 46 of 74
    Quote:

• Reply 47 of 74
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wonder View Post

Plus a screen that is only 45% the size of the iPad screen!

So it is a slightly larger but far less capable iPod Touch?
  • Reply 48 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

this is much geekier.
  • Reply 49 of 74
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

this is much geekier.

Hey no making fun of the Woz! That is sacrilegious man.
  • Reply 50 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Hey no making fun of the Woz! That is sacrilegious man.

NEVER! woz is the one i miss, not jobs.
  • Reply 51 of 74
    Quote:

I'm sure you are - or consider yourself to be- sophisticated and urbane, however, your inclusion of the digitalclips quote is declasse, totally irrelevant to the discussion and offensive to myself, a born-again Christian. Please excise it from your posts.

Thanks in advance,
  • Reply 52 of 74
    applappl Posts: 348member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

Congratulations Samsung for pricing yourself out

I think that a lot of people will gladly pay a little bit more for a product that better meets their needs.

I also think that a lot of people will instead go to Mall*Wart and try to save $100 on thier new toy.

I think that both strategies will work very well.
  • Reply 53 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rtdunham View Post

Why does a diff size iPad require all that extra work, but OSX apps work on 13, 15 and 17-inch MBs and external monitors of many diff sizes? Why isn't that display flexibility built into iOS?

It is a cellphone OS. That is why.
  • Reply 54 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emacs72 View Post

when the Galaxy Tab is available in Canada at a retail store i hope i'll have a chance to try it out. admittedly, i don't know much about the device so actually using it for awhile will be very helpful.

From what I have heard, unless you have held it in your hands, it is impossible to detect that it is magical.

So those who have not sat down with it and used it are unlikely to appreciate it.
  • Reply 55 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Motlee View Post

And people complain about the so-called "Apple Tax"

How can they justify this pricing

Yeah. for those of us who want a big cheap tablet, the iPad is the way to go.
  • Reply 56 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

I can't wait.

If it is just to shut up the trolls here. Now is their chance to prove their admiration for their Android and 7" tablets, i.e., by putting their mouth where their money is. ...

This is both mean and based on faulty assumptions. I'm probably one of the biggest supporters of a 7" tablet, but I'm not a troll, nor is everyone you don't like or disagrees with you. There is a specific meaning to the term. Look it up.

Also, to assume that people that want a 7" tablet should just "shut up" simply because a 7" tablet exists is just a dumbass thing to say. I hate Android, and think it's crap but I will be looking at the Galaxy tab and the Blackberry tablet because of the form factor. I probably won't be buying one, since I already heard the Galaxy tab is slow, clunky crap and the Blackberry tablet is hardly more than a render and unlikely to be anything worth buying either. Both are also far too expensive relative to the competition.

The point is though, whether someone buys a Galaxy tab or not has more to do with whether it's a good device for their needs than it is indicative of whether 7" tablets (as a category) "work." If they choose not to buy it, it doesn't mean that 7" tablets are inherently "bad" or that Steve Jobs is right, it just means that the Galaxy tab is an overpriced piece of junk.
  • Reply 57 of 74
    blah64blah64 Posts: 993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PatsFan83 View Post

Is it just me or is that refresh button on the weather/clock completely unnecessary? Just have it check every 30 minutes or so and get rid of it.

I guess no one else here picked up on this, but you're absolutely right. This is a geek design, not an elegant one, and it's design decisions like this that microsoft loves as well.
  • Reply 58 of 74
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

This is both mean and based on faulty assumptions. I'm probably one of the biggest supporters of a 7" tablet, but I'm not a troll, nor is everyone you don't like or disagrees with you. There is a specific meaning to the term. Look it up.

Also, to assume that people that want a 7" tablet should just "shut up" simply because a 7" tablet exists is just a dumbass thing to say. I hate Android, and think it's crap but I will be looking at the Galaxy tab and the Blackberry tablet because of the form factor. I probably won't be buying one, since I already heard the Galaxy tab is slow, clunky crap and the Blackberry tablet is hardly more than a render and unlikely to be anything worth buying either. Both are also far too expensive relative to the competition.

The point is though, whether someone buys a Galaxy tab or not has more to do with whether it's a good device for their needs than it is indicative of whether 7" tablets (as a category) "work." If they choose not to buy it, it doesn't mean that 7" tablets are inherently "bad" or that Steve Jobs is right, it just means that the Galaxy tab is an overpriced piece of junk.

My post was directed towards trolls. Obviously, you don't fit the description.
  • Reply 59 of 74
    blah64blah64 Posts: 993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

she [wife] must be a genius if she has to ask what an 'android' is.

Not hardly. She's a typical person that doesn't care about tech details. If you truly believe your own comment (and weren't just being sarcastic), then you need to get out into the real world a bit more.
  • Reply 60 of 74
    any one knows how much it costs samsung to make it?