Verizon to sell 7-inch Samsung Galaxy Tab Nov. 11 for $600

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 74
    sambansamban Posts: 171member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kerryb View Post

So I can watch Flash advertisements on it.

You must be dying to watch the dancing monkeys
  • Reply 62 of 74
    I expected $300. Silly me.

Android tablets go on eBay from little over $100.

Selling Samsung at Apple prices it's like selling Kia at Mercedes price.
  • Reply 63 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anakin1992 View Post

any one knows how much it costs samsung to make it?

Oh, close to nothing. They make their own flash memory, RAM and LCD panels: all in China.
  • Reply 64 of 74
    sdbryansdbryan Posts: 351member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rtdunham View Post

Why does a diff size iPad require all that extra work, but OSX apps work on 13, 15 and 17-inch MBs and external monitors of many diff sizes? Why isn't that display flexibility built into iOS?

One of the main differences between iOS devices and OSX computers is the former are full screen while the latter have a windowed interface (sometimes with full screen option). On the other hand I don't think all that work is needed. Apple is always updating their SDKs and APIs so it would just be part of an update if a "smaller" iPad were contemplated.
  • Reply 65 of 74
    sdbryansdbryan Posts: 351member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alladdinn View Post

I'm sure you are - or consider yourself to be- sophisticated and urbane, however, your inclusion of the digitalclips quote is declasse, totally irrelevant to the discussion and offensive to myself, a born-again Christian. Please excise it from your posts.

Thanks in advance,

Really, you don't understand how that sig relates to technology issues? Then it would appear to me that you might not be very bright. Creationists who cling rather pathetically to a literal interpretation of the Bible show an indifference to scientific thought and technological achievements. That would make them unreliable interpreters of laws pertaining to technology. Don't worry about excising anything from your posts since they will be ignored in any case. I try to maintain an open mind, but not an empty mind. Plonk.
  • Reply 66 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alladdinn View Post

I'm sure you are - or consider yourself to be- sophisticated and urbane, however, your inclusion of the digitalclips quote is declasse, totally irrelevant to the discussion and offensive to myself, a born-again Christian. Please excise it from your posts.

Thanks in advance,

no one cares if you are offended by the truth. so goose-step to your next book burning and leave the forum alone.
  • Reply 67 of 74
    capnbobcapnbob Posts: 388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mercury99 View Post

I expected $300. Silly me.

Android tablets go on eBay from little over $100.

Selling Samsung at Apple prices it's like selling Kia at Mercedes price.

the joy of this is that it will be in the same stores. People will walk over to both and play with them and decide. I can't see many going for the little one that is still too big to put in your pocket but we'll see.

I suppose not having to carry around a Mifi is an advantage unless you want to hotspot to multiple devices.
  • Reply 68 of 74
    shadashshadash Posts: 470member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

.Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs caused a stir earlier this week when he said devices like the Galaxy Tab with a 7-inch display would be inferior to the iPad due to the smaller screen real estate. Jobs said a 7-inch screen was "meaningless" unless the device shipped with "sandpaper so that the user can sand down their fingers to about one quarter of their present size."

Jobs indicated that Apple wants to dominate in the tablet market, something interestingly he has not said about the smart phone market. If that is the case, I wonder if Apple can do that with only a 10 inch option. Whether 10 inches is better or not in most instances, there is a case for a 7 inch tablet. We'll see what the market decides.
  • Reply 69 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samban View Post

You must be dying to watch the dancing monkeys

From the Monkey Island 2 intro? Those dancing monkeys are now iOS native.
  • Reply 70 of 74
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Oh, close to nothing. They make their own flash memory, RAM and LCD panels: all in China.

I eagerly await the tear down and component cost-out. If your suspicion is born out, I guess we can start talking about Samsung's "obscene margins" and "greed." A lot. Constantly. In fact, it should color our every discussion of every product Samsung makes.
  • Reply 71 of 74
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Quiet you, I had to wear those at university labs for my Biology major. Quite comfortable actually, kind of a shorter, thinner bath robe.

Gaaaa..... I can't help but think of a bunch of bio majors wearing these and nothing else.
  • Reply 72 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Gaaaa..... I can't help but think of a bunch of bio majors wearing these and nothing else.

I missed out on those parties.
  • Reply 73 of 74
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleStud View Post

exactly. And what exactly did Samsung GAIN by letting verizon butcher this thing? I mean, there's no subsidy offered. Distribution? Couldn't Sammy muscle this into Best Buy or Target as-is, without the crapware?

Samsung is doing just that at Best Buy. Selling the Wifi only version for $499 with no contract.
  • Reply 74 of 74
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ndn2007 View Post

why would I buy a device and have to wait for apps that I am currently using on my iPhone to be developed for Verizon, or that probably may never be developed ?

Wasnt this the same scenario for the iPad during the initial launch?

Quote:

And the iPad isnt made in China......