Apple unveils new, instant-on MacBook Air: 'MacBook meets iPad'

Comments

• Reply 121 of 359
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Apple is going to send a MacBook Air back in time to murder Jason Chen?

It is only a matter of time before one of these things is used to kill somebody.
  • Reply 122 of 359
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

jobs looks and sounds bored and tired.

Maybe because when he gets "passionate and excited" people complain that he is whining!
  • Reply 123 of 359
    mytdavemytdave Posts: 447member
    Very cool laptops, but I'm thinking they valued a little bit too much form over function. I'd be perfectly happy to have the Air taper to .22 inches instead of .11 to accommodate larger batteries and a faster CPU.
  • Reply 124 of 359
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

To answer a couple of questions, sum up some of the things that have been answered in the thread and provide info on which processors these appear to be, I put this together.

11"

Penryn 3M ULV 45nm 3MB cache

1.4GHz SU9400

1.6GHz SU9600

13"

Penryn 45nm 6MB cache

1.86GHz SL9400

2.13GHz SL9600

RAM on all models is upgradeable to 4GB. 13" has SD slot, 1.6 does not. Processor and RAM upgrades are $100 each. $200 separates each version of the 11 and 13" models for jumping storage space up. So low end 11" is $999, top end 13" w/2.13GHz and 4GB RAM is $1799. Top end model of each screensize only models that allow processor upgrade.

When Intel actually codes their GPUs to support Open CL and makes them not completely awful (or allows Intel to produce chipsets for the i-series) then we'll see better processors in the smaller Apple notebooks.

You're correct, but these are much newer parts than the L7000 series, which were 65nm.

Don't you think they would, with their now very successful experience with the A4, design their own SoC with intel Nvidia guts for these babies?

Isn't that the logical thing to do to really get these guys to blaze while sipping electrons? That's how they'll really differentiate themselves from the also rans (and increase their profit margins.)
  • Reply 125 of 359
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs said Wednesday he and his company asked themselves "What would happen if a MacBook and an iPad hooked up?" The result: two new MacBook Airs with screen sizes of 11.6 inches and 13.3 inches and instant-on capabilities, starting at just $999, and now available....

Am I the only one that isn't that impressed?

Same processor, same cache, same bus speed, same memory, same graphics memory, same size, same weight, and only 8GB more disk space.

This isn't an upgrade. If you currently own an Air there is no reason to buy the new model at all. Even if it's a bit faster in practice because of the IO or more durable because of the lack of a hard drive or whatever, it's certainly not a no-brainer. You'd have to seriously compare both models side by side to even know whether this thing is worth buying.

Also, I'm not sure why they made the 11" one at all. It has even crappier specs than the current MacBook Air, and isn't really much smaller so it doesn't gain any of the advantages of a true netbook.
  • Reply 126 of 359
    mytdavemytdave Posts: 447member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by frugality View Post

APPLE MADE A NETBOOK!!!!!

(Underpowered, little memory, low battery life.....)

Not quite. The Core2Duo CPUs are significantly faster than the Atom CPUs found in netbooks, the GPU also, the amount of RAM, and having Flash storage instead of the typical 160GB HD in netbooks. The smallest screen is 11.6 instead of the ~10 of netbooks, not to mention the full size keyboards. Oh, and the Air is still significantly thinner than any netbook I've seen.
  • Reply 127 of 359
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    Apple still offers the USB superdrive.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I do use optical all the time. For example I bought the family pack bundle OS iLife, iWork,. I often burn CD's as well. But everything is transitioning to USB memory stick and SD cards so now you have to switch over if you want the portability of the Air, which is very tempting for me since my MBP is a few years old now. That is the problem with these damn Macs. They last too long. Difficult to justify replacing one when the old one is still working so well.

• Reply 128 of 359
    Processor upgrade only available on the 11" 128Gb and the 13" 256Gb

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aiolos View Post

No I am not. The processor price decreases over time. They were much newer when they first came in the MBA's, and so cost more. Now they are cheaper, so the BTO option should be cheaper.

Though apparently you can only get the processor upgrade on the $1599 model, which means you need to pay at least $1699 for the 2.13Ghz processor, which kind of stinks. I don't want the extra SSD drive space, just the extra speed.

• Reply 129 of 359
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by edwardryu View Post

well, macbook air is not my taste, and lack of power I need. so it was a long time ago I've never interested in it. so whatever they announced today, it's not for me. but it looks even thinner than previous model. beautiful. nowadays, what do you with 64, 128GB HDD? no optical drive nothing? totally useless.

by the way, it's very funny that Steve Jobs was never interested in producing netbook kind of thing. now, they made it. why? I think ipad is enough. why did they made 11.6 inch macbook air? why? I don't get it. as you know, the price is still expensive with that spec. I pass it. no interest.

It's an ultra portable, I wouldn't have expected Apple to include optical drive. Personally, I have a MBP and since purchasing it in 2009. I've used my optical drive once. Doesn't Mac OS allow optical drive sharing?

Why are so many referring to the Airs as netbooks??? Just because they are small and light???
  • Reply 130 of 359
    Dude, these MBA's are not intended to be you primary computer. If you want 1TB storage, get the Time Capsule and sync via MobileMe or Dropbox. This is purely a companion device.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevetim View Post

nice start ... looking forward to the tarabyte models. When will they be released?

• Reply 131 of 359
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hatunike View Post

Can the RAM be upgraded? needs 4GB atleast. Willing to pay.

yes, you can order 4 gigs of ram as a $100 upgrade
  • Reply 132 of 359
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

To answer a couple of questions, sum up some of the things that have been answered in the thread and provide info on which processors these appear to be, I put this together.

11"

Penryn 3M ULV 45nm 3MB cache

1.4GHz SU9400

1.6GHz SU9600

13"

Penryn 45nm 6MB cache

1.86GHz SL9400

2.13GHz SL9600

RAM on all models is upgradeable to 4GB. 13" has SD slot, 1.6 does not. Processor and RAM upgrades are $100 each. $200 separates each version of the 11 and 13" models for jumping storage space up. So low end 11" is $999, top end 13" w/2.13GHz and 4GB RAM is $1799. Top end model of each screensize only models that allow processor upgrade.

When Intel actually codes their GPUs to support Open CL and makes them not completely awful (or allows Intel to produce chipsets for the i-series) then we'll see better processors in the smaller Apple notebooks.

You're correct, but these are much newer parts than the L7000 series, which were 65nm.

I think a main reason Apple stuck with C2D is the fact that Intel REQUIRES that Apple buy the whole chipset from them to get into the new i series of chips (ie: including the Intel integrated GPU) which they do not want to use since it #1: Sucks and #2: Takes up more space. Sticking with C2D lets them sidestep this issue and use the better Nvidia GPU without compromising the design.
  • Reply 133 of 359
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DESuserIGN View Post

Don't you think they would, with their now very successful experience with the A4, design their own SoC with intel Nvidia guts for these babies?

Isn't that the logical thing to do to really get these guys to blaze while sipping electrons? That's how they'll really differentiate themselves from the also rans (and increase their profit margins.)

Intel went to court with nvidia and won the right to prevent anyone from building their own in board video card. In other words, you can use the i3 with intels integrated graphics or a discreet card, no 3rd party integrated graphics. Since apple has found the core 2 duo plus the 340m out performs the i3 by itself, this is where we're stuck for now.
  • Reply 134 of 359
    I'm wondering if it can run Starcraft II and future Diablo III. Steve Jobs didn't mention Blizzard as a partner in the event show. If the graphic card can make Starcraft II run smoothly, I may consider to buy one even though I have owned a newest macbook pro already...
  • Reply 135 of 359
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Am I the only one that isn't that impressed?

Same processor, same cache, same bus speed, same memory, same graphics memory, same size, same weight, and only 8GB more disk space.

This isn't an upgrade. If you currently own an Air there is no reason to buy the new model at all. Even if it's a bit faster in practice because of the IO or more durable because of the lack of a hard drive or whatever, it's certainly not a no-brainer. You'd have to seriously compare both models side by side to even know whether this thing is worth buying.

Also, I'm not sure why they made the 11" one at all. It has even crappier specs than the current MacBook Air, and isn't really much smaller so it doesn't gain any of the advantages of a true netbook.

4 Gig of ram upgrade is one reason. SD slot is nice now that its in the air. Much upgraded resolution, so I guess those are the main reasons I hit the bid and ordered a 13 inch for my work/travel laptop, to replace a 12 inch iBook G4.
  • Reply 136 of 359
    I am too surprised that more people aren't griping about his. Why not at least offer it as an option like the iPad. I really like the A-la-Carte 3G setup for that. At least make it an upgrade???
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sarno View Post

So I don't really have a need for one of these but I REALLY want that 11" model. Very cool indeed! However I'm curious if it's supposed to be a cross between a MBP and an iPad, why not throw in some 3G?

Makes sense to me!

• Reply 137 of 359
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigdaddyguido View Post

Intel went to court with nvidia and won the right to prevent anyone from building their own in board video card. In other words, you can use the i3 with intels integrated graphics or a discreet card, no 3rd party integrated graphics. Since apple has found the core 2 duo plus the 340m out performs the i3 by itself, this is where we're stuck for now.

This is a bit of a tangent, but I was almost expecting Apple to unveil A4 powered MBAs today. They already have a good bit of the Mac OS X code ported to ARM. Developers could leverage the same technique they are familiar with (universal Power & Intel binaries) to deliver triple-universal binaries (Power, Intel & ARM).

That would take battery life to the next level! I suppose reclaiming space due to miniaturization of components was the low hanging fruit in this case. I would not be surprised to see ARM chips in the MBA at some point, especially if 'Back to the Mac' is going to be an ongoing campaign!
  • Reply 138 of 359
    Yeah, except the original MBA was hyped as the ODD killer as well. and 2 years (and at least 8 MBP revisions) later they still have them.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

This is the first step in getting rid of the ODD from all notebooks. They were very specific about Flash technology today but the sentiment about large, slow, components with complex moving parts was clear.

• Reply 139 of 359
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleGreen View Post

You can get 4GB as BTO. Don't know if it is user-upgradeable.

http://www.apple.com/macbookair/design.html then scroll down.

The ram is the 8 ICs in the middle right above the middle two battery modules and looks very soldered to me. The storage (on the left) appears to be upgradable with a screw on the left and a socket on the right. Also the graphic Jobs used in the presentation (1:18) shows a removable storage module. It doesn't look like a standard connection so it might be awhile before there is a third party option if ever.

Also, on the specs page for the MBA the ram is described as "onboard," a distinction that Apple does not make for the MB or MBP.

In short RAM is not upgradable and storage is possibly upgradeable. We'll have to wait for ifixit.com to take things apart.
  • Reply 140 of 359
    Sexy design, beautiful concept, but too expensive. The early adopter in me wants one just to own it but not for over $1k.