First Look: Apple's new Mac OS X 10.7 Lion

Comments

• Reply 101 of 167
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

So because you have two ways of achieving the same thing, it's not simple?

In this case, no. It's not. They could change that though.
  • Reply 102 of 167
    Quote:

You also have no idea how it works - you were given a tiny glimpse today the same as the rest of us. So stop with the assumptions. Troll.

Troll? You're the one making assumptions, noob.
  • Reply 103 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

C'mon man that was just a "little" preview of 10.7. We haven't seen the rest. We are yet to see a full demo and it's not releasing for another 8-9 months. Wait til you see the rest before you express your disappointment.

Ya Ive been following OS X keynotes since Panther, there are always rumors of big secret features that will be released later, but they never materialize.

OS X needs a new finder, Ive been waiting for one a long time. They re-wrote in 10.6, but its still pretty crippled IMO.
  • Reply 104 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

I chuckled at the full screen apps thing.

This all seems very impressive and sensible of Apple though. I'm impressed. Too bad I just bought a house and can't justify buying any of these new toys

i'm impressed too, too bad for me that i'm gonna buy these new toys and not the house...
  • Reply 105 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Yes, and then humans innovated to create touch screen iPads you can bring with you .

iPads are like are like enhanced notebooks (I talk about the paper ones) you can use them anywhere, but have nothing to do with desktops, an horizontal touch mac would improve the old desktop we used since writing had been invented. You know it's not the same, and still you try to make them the same for the sake of criticizing...

As for the Dock and the Launch Pad they serve two different purpose; the dock allows you to launch quickly the apps you use the most, and also to have a quick access to your running apps, Launch pad is just a new way to launch anyone of the apps on your mac, it's just a new way to present the old application folder. Again, you know that but deliberately mess the thing for the sake of criticizing...

I would agree that displaying the dock when Launch pad is on use might be unnecessary, but it's not a bad thing either.

What about stopping criticizing for the sake of criticizing ?
  • Reply 106 of 167
    Quote:

Exactly, and that is the mistake. They should have taken more big and bold risks and cleaned the whole thing up more in the process. Installing apps and using them is now simpler than ever, yet using the computer is more confusing. They could have overhauled the whole thing and thought of a cool replacement for the dock. Heck - they could have made Launchpad the default view of the OS in general, somehow.

They will now have this thing called App Store (for Mac). When you download something from App Store the app goes into the 'dock', in the dock there's also an app called Launchpad, when you click Launchpad in the dock you bring up an app-launcher where the icon of the app you just downloaded is also residing? That's confusing. That's messy - by Apple's standards. It's confusing full-stop. They should have killed the dock.

i agree with you, but we are still far away (about 9 months) from the lion release so i guess let's wait n see what they bring in the final version...
  • Reply 107 of 167
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    Quote:

You also have no idea how it works - you were given a tiny glimpse today the same as the rest of us. So stop with the assumptions. Troll.

Finding someone who does not share your point of view does not make them a troll.

I thought the same thing myself, for what it's worth.

I launch all my apps through spotlight. I think in my head 'Pages', and it's almost automatic. Icons don't help me much at all for some reason. Even on my iPhone I find I am relying on where the icons are, rather than their shape. For me, Launchpad will rarely, if ever, be used.
  • Reply 108 of 167
    1) I welcome the App store. It will make discovering new apps so much eaiser, it will encourage developers to create apps for Mac, and this is a good thing since most brick and mortar stores don't carry a lot of Mac software.

2) Mission control? Awesome.

3) Quick access to apps? May take some getting used to for us veteran users. I can see this being a positive to new users. Must easier than digging around in finder.
  • Reply 109 of 167
    I hate apologists lets make peace with something here, the invite for this event said back to mac and had an image of the next version of OS X, when they finally got to it what they showed us was a maximize button, launchpad and mission control. I dont count the app store since it will be available before Lion even comes out. Lets be honest with ourselves if your going to tease a product you give people something interesting or something that grabs peoples interests and say hey you havent seen anything yet but thats not what happened here. We got some reworked features that were dragged over from the ipad to do duty on the desktop. Anyone who says they are holding out till the last second so that no one can copy them please stop drinking the kool aide. I think Snow Leopard is a wonderful product in how honest it is. They came right out and said you know what this kicks ass so we just need to tidy things up a bit and throw in some cool ideas we had kicking around and since this is a huge reworking of the OS we wont bleed you for it. I guarantee you that whatever "features" they didnt show today 95% of them mare going to be minor stuff that barely register as a bullet point...you know kinda like "we added over 300 new features...like we added imap access to gmail!" I would love to be proven wrong on this but I doubt I will but thats ok because Snow Leopard is an awesome OS X already.
  • Reply 110 of 167
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Absolutely genius. This now ties together the entire Apple ecosystem. This will likely be the most user-friendly OS Apple has ever released.
  • Reply 111 of 167
    berpberp Posts: 136member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 11thIndian View Post

The proverbial "you" that is.

I find it interesting that so many here have criticized the implementation the new more iOS style features as being useless, since they don't work for them.

In fact, I think the interesting thing about these ideas is that they're totally voluntary. If you don't want to use mission control- DON'T. If you don't want to buy apps through the appStore- DON'T. If launchpad seems like a Mickey Mouse way to view your applications- DON'T USE IT!

Keep using your mac the way you are. Buy your software how you want.

I think what Apple might have tweaked onto over the last 4 years since the iPhone came out, is that there is a GREAT MANY people who still feel daunted by the average computer experience. Anyone who finds themselves acting as impromptu tech support for friends and family can attest to this fact. "Where are my files?". "What do you mean it didn't save?". Moreover, the success of the iPad for people who've never used a computer before only further illustrates that we still haven't reached the intuitive and consumer oriented paradigm that probably 80% of people are looking for.

So imagine the benefits for Apple if they can bring a truly accessible OS to market. An OS that services people of DIFFERENT skill levels. For those who want a simple and clean experience, the layer is there to make personal computing a pleasant and less frustrating one, but if you're in a pro oriented field, or have the depth of knowledge and want to dig deeper, the more traditional paradigm is there. This could mean a HUGE opportunity for Apple to seize market-share from a group that's looking for a decidedly non-techie computing experience.

it's very much a parallel to the comments I see about the Air. People in various groups decrying the machines deficiencies- when they're not deficiencies! It's called specialization! As a pro editor, the Air ain't for me. But I can certainly imagine a group looking for an ultralight portable that's NOT a netbook; with a nice display and full size keyboard. It's not for 3D animation. It's not for a video pro like myself. It's probably not the world's best gaming machine. It is what it is, and if what it is ain't for you, that's not the Air's problem, and it shouldn't be yours!

Once in a while, much too sparsely, a comment reflects perfectly the sweet spot of the tech user experience. No bragging, no whining, just a simple reminder that people's differentiated agendas matter more than clinical efficiency. Thanks.
  • Reply 112 of 167
    I can understand people bitching about the 10 minute demo of the new OS, whining cause they think they have it all figured out... but what is being missed here, is the future of the desktop OS.

We're FINALLY getting rid of the 'windowed' world we've lived in since the 90's. How awesome is that?

Yes we have big monitors so we can have multiple windows open, but what if we didn't have to? I think one of the coolest features I saw today, was being in a Full Screen application, ridding the view of the normal desktop we've stared at for decades, not having to menu dive for features/options, and being able to 'flip' between these Full Screened apps with ease. If you want to go back to your standard desktop, it's a 'swipe'. This is a new way of desktop computing.

So for all the people that are stuck in OS 9, Windows '95, and Red Hat 1... seriously... think before you bitch.

The Mac App Store, is going to generate a huge amount of profit for them. Bravo. Keep spending that money Apple, and innovate something cooler.

The whole iOS application screen thing. Seriously... how awesome is it that you don't have to dive in your stacks, your app folder, other places on your hard drive, to find/open/use your app. Just a gesture on a mouse or a trackpad, touch, boom... your app. Nicely transferred to the desktop. Rock on Apple. Yes, it's faster to just click the icon in the dock, but I'm not referring to that. I'm talking about diving into menus, and app folders. The bitching behind this, reminds me when Expose` was announced. It was stated in multiple forums, "but I can just 'cmd-tab' blah blah blah". Ketchup/Catsup. Whatever.

The only 'fail' from the tiny 10 minute preview, would be Mission Control. Stupid branding, it's a revamped Expose`. Yawn.

I laugh at all the people that shout how much they're not excited about this OS. I'm sorry, but the only time I stood in line for an OS was 10.3, and this will be the second time I stand in line for an OS. Excited? You bet. This is the future of Desktop computing. Finally starting to rid the world of 'windowed' computing, and the 'mouse', 10.7 is the first real step, and I want to be apart of it.
  • Reply 113 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shinrah View Post

I hate apologists lets make peace with something here, the invite for this event said back to mac and had an image of the next version of OS X, when they finally got to it what they showed us was a maximize button, launchpad and mission control. I dont count the app store since it will be available before Lion even comes out. Lets be honest with ourselves if your going to tease a product you give people something interesting or something that grabs peoples interests and say hey you havent seen anything yet but thats not what happened here. We got some reworked features that were dragged over from the ipad to do duty on the desktop. Anyone who says they are holding out till the last second so that no one can copy them please stop drinking the kool aide. I think Snow Leopard is a wonderful product in how honest it is. They came right out and said you know what this kicks ass so we just need to tidy things up a bit and throw in some cool ideas we had kicking around and since this is a huge reworking of the OS we wont bleed you for it. I guarantee you that whatever "features" they didnt show today 95% of them mare going to be minor stuff that barely register as a bullet point...you know kinda like "we added over 300 new features...like we added imap access to gmail!" I would love to be proven wrong on this but I doubt I will but thats ok because Snow Leopard is an awesome OS X already.

You know it's a let down when a comment as lame as this is actually spot on.
  • Reply 114 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Matthias03 View Post

I can understand people bitching about the 10 minute demo of the new OS, whining cause they think they have it all figured out... but what is being missed here, is the future of the desktop OS.

We're FINALLY getting rid of the 'windowed' world we've lived in since the 90's. How awesome is that?

You must have watched a different demo to me. I saw more windows, overlays, icons and swipey-swipey features than I ever care to. Mission Control for example is so complex looking I can even see geeks becoming befuddled by it.
  • Reply 115 of 167
    But will OSX Lion support BLU-RAY??????

this is retarded how backward Apple is being all to protect their iTunes movie rentals. BS, Apple makes alot of money. look at this Quarters Apple Earnings.
  • Reply 116 of 167
    akacakac Posts: 512member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kpluck View Post

Actually, what he said was that he wished he had time to "show more". This could have meant simply going into greater detail for the features they quickly went through during the demo.

He the ends this part by saying Lion is due of the summer of 2011 and then says, "So that is OS X Lion."

Also the presenter kept saying that there was a lot more to Lion.
  • Reply 117 of 167
    Quote:

They might change it.

I certainly hope so. It's starting to look like a ten car pile-up.
  • Reply 118 of 167
    I thought facetime would be on the latest update...but don't see it?

Best
  • Reply 119 of 167
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Best

It?s a Beta so you have to seek it out for yourself and use at your own risk.
  • Reply 120 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Best

facetime is on beta downloadable from apple.com