First Look: Apple's new Mac OS X 10.7 Lion

Comments

• Reply 121 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

At its "Back to the Mac" event,

Mac sales have tripled in the last five years, with installed base of Macs is now just short of 50 million users. Cook also pointed out that Mac sales grew by 27 percent over the past year, compared to the industry average of just 11 percent. "This didn't just start happening," Cook pointed out. Macs have outpaced the PC industry in each of the last 18 quarters, Cook said.

Cook also cited NPD's August 2010 consumer market share figures for US retail, which gave Apple's Mac brand a whopping 20.7% of PC sales. "With the share rising, and the units rising much faster than the industry, we have a very vibrant developer community," Cook said, pointing out there are now 600,000 registered Mac developers, with 30,000 new applications per month.

]

Does any one have a link to review the NPD numbers showing the 20.7 % numbers?
  • Reply 122 of 167
    Putting in my vote on Mission Confusing. I know there is some time before the next release and thank goodness for that. This portion needs some major tweaking. Apple should look at the different ways these things interact before coming up with "a whole other way" to do things. I am also thinking that FaceTime could have somehow become part of iChat, or vice versa. All these new apps and methodology. OS X started out with simplicity, has aged and grown. But adding on more features in the hopes of making it more simple -- these things must be more thought out before implementing them. One guy mentioned the 'freedom' of the users. Amen to that. I LOVE Apple, but occasionally they do some oddball things. I look forward to this bit of stumbling (in my opinion) pushing them on to even better things.
  • Reply 123 of 167
    quillzquillz Posts: 209member
    Am I the only one who doesn't want the green traffic light changed from "zoom to fit" to "fullscreen?" I'd much prefer a new, dedicated fullscreen button (remember the old purple traffic light way back during the Public Beta days?) or simply a menu bar command + keyboard shortcut.
  • Reply 124 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Absolutely genius. This now ties together the entire Apple ecosystem. This will likely be the most user-friendly OS Apple has ever released.

I think you mean "the most convoluted OS Apple has ever released." What on Earth is the point of this "Launchpad" when I already have the Dock, Stacks and Spotlight for launching my applications? It's just one extra, pointless application I don't need. The OS should be getting lighter, not more bloated.
  • Reply 125 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

App store needs a bit of a UI overhaul. It looks pretty ugly (the frame not the contents). And we need explicit guarantees that it will never become the only way to buy software on a mac.

Apple would be committing financial suicide if they actually made the App Store the only way to get new apps on Mac OS X. Because that would mean they'd be locking down their APIs, which developers need to create apps for the iOS devices.

Steve was quite clear to emphasize it's the "best" (very debatable) way to get apps on Mac OS X, but certainly not the only way.
  • Reply 126 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quillz View Post

I think you mean "the most convoluted OS Apple has ever released." What on Earth is the point of this "Launchpad" when I already have the Dock, Stacks and Spotlight for launching my applications? It's just one extra, pointless application I don't need. The OS should be getting lighter, not more bloated.

I see Launchpad as replacing the stacks in case of application, I think it will be more user friendly than the stacks.
  • Reply 127 of 167
    ouraganouragan Posts: 437member
    Quote:

The idea of Apple bringing its iOS App Store concept to the Mac has been widely anticipated as a step that would make it easier for users to find and install software, keep their software up to date, greatly reduce software theft (thereby allowing developers to charge less while enjoying higher volumes of sales, just as they have in the iOS App Store) and encourage a rich economy of software development on the Mac in the same way the App Stores for the iPhone and iPad have.

The fear however, voiced by some, is that such a store would prevent Mac users from obtaining software from other sources, prevent the use of older software titles that were not designed to be sold through the store, and perhaps result in new issues over Apple's level of control over Mac software, much as some have worried that Apple is already exercising too much control over its iOS App Store.

To extinguish these fears, Jobs noted that the new Mac App Store won't be the only way to obtain new software; it will only be a new option, "the best," Jobs said.

The iControl is raging on @ Apple and coming to a Mac near you within the next 90 days. Scary!

There are a number of obvious problems:

1- The reason why there are so few developers and software titles on the Mac is not "software theft", but low market share, 5% world market share caused by higher Mac prices, less choices of options and models as a result of the "one size fits all" approach to reducing Apple manufacturing and inventory costs, and the steadfast refusal to licence Mac OS X (or the iOS) to competing manufacturers (No, Apple was never "a software company" contrary to what Steve Jobs just said);

2- "software theft" should be defined as overcharging for an application that does nothing more or nothing better than the applications you already have, especially if you plan only an occasional, limited personal use;

3- The danger of trapping the market by encouraging every developer to use and "benefit" from the Mac App Store so that established developers refuse to release their software outside of the Mac App Store;

4- The occasional unpaid use of software at home or in school is part of learning, akin to using shareware. Software used at work, to gain income, must be paid for as developers rely on royalties to gain their own income, but software used at home for personal purposes in a non-commercial way should be free or mostly free, just like software used in school. Successful developers (like Microsoft) often donate their software to schools, public libraries and not-for-profit organizations.

Once you pay for internet access and computer use, the use of internet is mostly free. Outside of businesses, software should be either free or mostly free (e.g. shareware which you pay "if it's worth it").

The opposite view, now adopted by Apple, is that anyone who has ever listened once to any music (or ringtone, etc.) should pay through the noze for their "sin" so that music executives (not artists...) can enjoy lavish lifestyles for little, if any effort.

I regret to say that if the trap materializes, if the Mac App Store becomes the only way to get and use software on the Mac, I will advise my friends to stay with Windows PC computers and rejoin the Windows crowd as I will always choose freedom over control and entrapment.

By the way, did Apple ever determine how many potential customers they lose by insisting on the App Store for iOS iPhones and iPads? The inability to choose my own software is definitely a good reason to stay away from the iPhone and, possibly, the iPad.

Negatives add up. All the reasons for not buying a product add up.

90% of computers run on Windows. There are many reasons for that, including the possibility to choose what software to use.

• Reply 128 of 167
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ouragan View Post

The iControl is raging on @ Apple and coming to a Mac near you within the next 90 days. Scary!

There are a number of obvious problems:

1- The reason why there are so few developers and software titles on the Mac is not "software theft", but low market share, 5% world market share caused by higher Mac prices, less choices of options and models as a result of the "one size fits all" approach to reducing Apple manufacturing and inventory costs, and the steadfast refusal to licence Mac OS X (or the iOS) to competing manufacturers (No, Apple was never "a software company" contrary to what Steve Jobs just said);

2- "software theft" should be defined as overcharging for an application that does nothing more or nothing better than the applications you already have, especially if you plan only an occasional, limited personal use;

3- The danger of trapping the market by encouraging every developer to use and "benefit" from the Mac App Store so that established developers refuse to release their software outside of the Mac App Store;

4- The occasional unpaid use of software at home or in school is part of learning, akin to using shareware. Software used at work, to gain income, must be paid for as developers rely on royalties to gain their own income, but software used at home for personal purposes in a non-commercial way should be free or mostly free, just like software used in school. Successful developers (like Microsoft) often donate their software to schools, public libraries and not-for-profit organizations.

Once you pay for internet access and computer use, the use of internet is mostly free. Outside of businesses, software should be either free or mostly free (e.g. shareware which you pay "if it's worth it").

The opposite view, now adopted by Apple, is that anyone who has ever listened once to any music (or ringtone, etc.) should pay through the noze for their "sin" so that music executives (not artists...) can enjoy lavish lifestyles for little, if any effort.

I regret to say that if the trap materializes, if the Mac App Store becomes the only way to get and use software on the Mac, I will advise my friends to stay with Windows PC computers and rejoin the Windows crowd as I will always choose freedom over control and entrapment.

By the way, did Apple ever determine how many potential customers they lose by insisting on the App Store for iOS iPhones and iPads? The inability to choose my own software is definitely a good reason to stay away from the iPhone and, possibly, the iPad.

Negatives add up. All the reasons for not buying a product add up.

90% of computers run on Windows. There are many reasons for that, including the possibility to choose what software to use.

1. Just how much software do we need? A more salient question. I've used Macs for years and i've never seen a more vibrant market but the issue is more about exposure as the most exciting software IMO is coming from smaller indie development houses.

2. Theft can be defined by any number of criteria. It's purely subjective.

3. If developers refuse to distribute their software outside of the Mac App Store that would likely mean the success of MAS would a given and the value to the developer was great enough to warrant going exclusive. So long as innovative software is available for the platform I see the danger as being fairly trivial.

4. The App Store has delivered 300k apps that are priced so low it's almost beyond belief. The only way to deliver low cost or free apps is a drop dead easy distribution system that thwarts piracy and potentially ads advertising. The more paying customers a developer can attract the less they must charge for their app to cover development and other hard costs.

I doubt 90% of computers run windows. No one really knows what Windows marketshare is and if they think they do I'd love to know exactly how they've accounted for every percentage point.

I'm sure I can determine how many customers Apple lost because of their iPhone and App Store policy to at least a logical degree. Current share price is over 300$ per share and Apple completed a 20 billion dollar quarter. There is no need to become the app police for the entire platform but with the current infrastructure for software delivery and payment processing in place Apple would be fools not to take advantage of a gold mine and some developers would be fools not to hitch to this ride.

In the end H.L Mencken was right. Man doesn't desire liberty he desires security. The app store comes with peace of mind and security by being a walled garden and that's enough for enough people to make it a rousing success.
  • Reply 129 of 167
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Yeah, I love my Magic Mouse, but the truth is it's basically not possible to do anything besides left-click, right-click and scroll. It does those excellently and is well worth it just for that, but the gestures are awkward at best and mostly just don't work.

Agreed. It's just a very uncomfortable hand position for doing gestures on a mouse, and plus the surface needs to be smooth to do gestures. The Magic Mouse is "sticky". I felt really sorry for Craig while he was trying to get mission control to respond on that Magic Mouse, fingers trembling. It's NOT the situations where you want to run into problems.
  • Reply 130 of 167
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    You guys are all freaking out for little to no reason. Right on Apple's Lion webpage it states:

Quote:

We took our best thinking from Mac OS X and brought it to the iPhone. Then we took our best thinking from the iPhone and brought it to iPad. And now we?re bringing it all back to the Mac with our eighth major release of the world?s most advanced operating system. Mac OS X Lion arrives in summer 2011. Here?s a sneak peek at just a few of its features.

The features mentioned are all of the ones that were shown off in the demo. Read the end of the quote above, especially the part in bold.
  • Reply 131 of 167
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macrosheep View Post

Did anyone else notice during the Lion demo that the Dock no longer had glowing circles beneath the icons of running apps (even Finder)?

I figure that it probably has something to do with the automatic application suspend/resume behavior that they're bringing in from iOS. Maybe the definition of a "running" app in MacOS X will change.

I missed that too and that worries me a bit. They might try to force you to use Launch Pad to store apps and then what appears in the dock is the running apps.

Launchpad will make dragging files onto an app to open a bit of a nightmare. If the app is already open then not so much but otherwise, it would be slow.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 11thIndian

As to your second point- let's be clear, you're not going to see apps like CS Suite, Final Cut Studio or 3D Studio Max on the appStore. Inherently, these expensive software packages are LARGE installs containing gigs of data, that would be impractical to download electronically. So the point is sort of moot.

Adobe allows you to download them. Also XCode is a multi-GB download. A lot of these big Suites, people don't even know where to buy them as the companies partner up with local resellers to distribute them.
  • Reply 132 of 167
    eauviveeauvive Posts: 237member
    Well, I wonder why Steve Jobs decided to set up this demo of Lion, with so few and moot features to show. Just to prove out that they are working on it? After all, they could have introduced the Mac App Store without any reference to Lion.

And I would be curious to know what kind of comments they were expecting. General applause?
  • Reply 133 of 167
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EauVive View Post

Well, I wonder why Steve Jobs decided to set up this demo of Lion, with so few and moot features to show. Just to prove out that they are working on it? After all, they could have introduced the Mac App Store without any reference to Lion.

And I would be curious to know what kind of comments they were expecting. General applause?

I agree with this sentiment. Given what we saw, why did they bother? The only thing I can think of is they wanted to put the idea out there to gauge the general reaction. Excluding the App Store, what they showed was maybe 6 weeks work by a team of 3 or 4.
  • Reply 134 of 167
    In the demo of the Mac App Store on Lion, the scroll bars were like the ones on iOS devices they appear only when scrolling. If this is going to be a feature of Lion, I better ditch the broken non-scrolling Mighty Mouse before upgrading, because 10.7 is going to need a functioning scrolling mouse, and better still multi-touch mouse or trackpad!

Seems odd that no one has mentioned this yet????
  • Reply 135 of 167
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EauVive View Post

Probably because of the myriad of "Apple doesn't care about the Mac" statements. I think by and large most people are happy with Snow Leopard (if they are running it) and the glaring omissions are few and far between.

I think computers should be simplified. I still see new users struggle with basic tasks like open/save documents and basic file management. I think the complexity of dealing with file management is a burden to new users and full screen mode along with perhaps a simplified "iPad'esque hidden file system may be a boon to the more green computer users.

As long as the power is there for the more savvy it's nothing but a good thing IMO.
  • Reply 136 of 167
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Probably because of the myriad of "Apple doesn't care about the Mac" statements. I think by and large most people are happy with Snow Leopard (if they are running it) and the glaring omissions are few and far between.

It also made sense to demo it, like they did in the past, when it?ll probably hit Golden Master in 9 months from now. That is a pretty short window so we should see Betas hitting shortly. Next month, maybe?
  • Reply 137 of 167
    eauviveeauvive Posts: 237member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

I think computers should be simplified. I still see new users struggle with basic tasks like open/save documents and basic file management. I think the complexity of dealing with file management is a burden to new users and full screen mode along with perhaps a simplified "iPad'esque hidden file system may be a boon to the more green computer users.

As long as the power is there for the more savvy it's nothing but a good thing IMO.

You're right. One of the most scary things, in my opinion, would be to have no choice but to use the new features. I've less than ten apps in my dock, that I use regularly, the others I fetch from the App directory through the Finder when I need to: I have no need for more elaborated gadgets. Besides, I love spaces, but that's related to my twenty years passed on BSD/X/fvwm.

I am not sure this breeding between MacOS and iOS is a good thing. Mobile devices and desktop (or notebooks) are certainly not addressing the same needs, if not the same users. Any kind of blend, in my opinion, is going to disappoint both and satisfy neither.
  • Reply 138 of 167
    rtm135rtm135 Posts: 310member
    This is what I've been saying all along. Besides a few enlightened individuals, it seems most of the people in here are mindless drones who would profess their love for a pile of shit as long as it has the Apple logo on it.

Face facts: As shown, Lion is a dud. Steve would have taken that additional hour and a half if he had anything to show.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by agolongo View Post

Ya Ive been following OS X keynotes since Panther, there are always rumors of big secret features that will be released later, but they never materialize.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shinrah View Post

I hate apologists lets make peace with something here, the invite for this event said back to mac and had an image of the next version of OS X, when they finally got to it what they showed us was a maximize button, launchpad and mission control. I dont count the app store since it will be available before Lion even comes out. Lets be honest with ourselves if your going to tease a product you give people something interesting or something that grabs peoples interests and say hey you havent seen anything yet but thats not what happened here. We got some reworked features that were dragged over from the ipad to do duty on the desktop. Anyone who says they are holding out till the last second so that no one can copy them please stop drinking the kool aide. I think Snow Leopard is a wonderful product in how honest it is. They came right out and said you know what this kicks ass so we just need to tidy things up a bit and throw in some cool ideas we had kicking around and since this is a huge reworking of the OS we wont bleed you for it. I guarantee you that whatever "features" they didnt show today 95% of them mare going to be minor stuff that barely register as a bullet point...you know kinda like "we added over 300 new features...like we added imap access to gmail!" I would love to be proven wrong on this but I doubt I will but thats ok because Snow Leopard is an awesome OS X already.

• Reply 139 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rtm135 View Post

I don't think I've ever been this underwhelmed with a Mac OS release.

For example, I can't believe they're listing "Full Screen Apps" as a feature.

I've been able to do full screen apps since System 7. It's called the maximize button.

C'mon Apple!

Yep, they even had emphasized that "FaceTime can be used EVEN in a full screen mode". Nice feature, but north worth my time to know about it from these great and magnificent executives.
  • Reply 140 of 167
    jnjnjnjnjnjn Posts: 588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Yeah, I love my Magic Mouse, but the truth is it's basically not possible to do anything besides left-click, right-click and scroll. It does those excellently and is well worth it just for that, but the gestures are awkward at best and mostly just don't work.

Works fine for me, gestures and all. So please don't confuse your personal experience with reality.