President Obama meets Steve Jobs to discuss economy, technology

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Futuristic View Post

Actually, almost the entire world breathed a collective sigh of relief when Obama won the election.

The vote for Obama was largely an "anti-Bush" statement. Even Republicans who voted for Obama recognized that the Republican Party had strayed too far from their "conservative roots" and needed to be out of power until they got their message and actions back on track.

Frankly, what the rest of the world thinks about this president is irrelevant.
  • Reply 122 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It?s like the Head and Shoulders commercials: ?But you don?t have dandruff.?, "Exactly!?

Maybe Obama should talk to Michael Dell about resolving economy issues.

Do you mean "Pay off the the shareholders* and shut the Federal Government down?"

* National Debt

• Reply 123 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

Please go read what's happening http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/22/us.../22scotus.html

It's amazing how willfully ignorant people are about what's happening to our country.

Well, it says "political spending", which could be advertising or other forms of support. I'm not certain if it means that you can contribute a billion dollars to a candidate your company wants to get into office, but it could mean that you set up PACs to push issues, I suppose.

I'm in agreement with the ruling. Free speech in any form should not be abridged and that includes spending money to support causes or candidates that would benefit you as an individual, church group, consumer, knitting club member, gun owner, dentist... or even your massive global company.
  • Reply 124 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

You're seeing the power of neocon propaganda.

Some people just can't think for themselves. It's really sad. These people can easily be spotted when they drool at the mouth whenever you say the words "Fair and Balanced." Like Pavlov's dog.

There is a fair amount of drool on both sides. I've seen many people simply repeating talking points of Republicans and Democrats. Both sides I find offensive.
  • Reply 125 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zindako View Post

Just goes to show racism is alive and well in America today, this president has done way more for the middle class than Bush has ever done, yet the average citizen treats him like he is a nazi, even the tea party folks have cartoons of him as the devil himself, and these are people that probably make less than 30K per annum.

Keep hope alive though I guess.

How does any of that equate to "racism"?

• Reply 126 of 138
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Do you mean "Pay off the the shareholders* and shut the Federal Government down?"

* National Debt

LOL

Micheal Dell, ?If I were Obama I?d shut the country down and give the money back to the people.
  • Reply 127 of 138
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

<CONSERVATIVE RESPONSE> The "trickle down effect" is the rich keeping the poor in jobs by buying the products they make. Thus creating/maintaining jobs .</CONSERVATIVE RESPONSE>

Oh, so that raise in taxes will keep the rich people from hiring Edwardo from cutting their yard? Or hiring Joe the plumber to unclog shit from their toilet?

BULLSHIT
  • Reply 128 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

LOL

Micheal Dell, ?If I were Obama I?d shut the country down and give the money back to the people.

Hmm... You may be on to something!!
  • Reply 129 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

<CONSERVATIVE RESPONSE> The "trickle down effect" is the rich keeping the poor in jobs by buying the products they make. Thus creating/maintaining jobs .</CONSERVATIVE RESPONSE>

Oh, come on now. That's crazy talk. When the banking scandal broke, the bank executives wanted to hang on to their multimillion dollar bonuses, while the people who were stuck with debts they were unable to pay back got screwed. That's one example.

Enron—the executives made off with millions, while tens of thousands of employees lost their jobs—and their life savings.

Exxon—laid off thousands of employees while their CEO enjoyed the highest salary in history.

Ever heard of "outsourcing"? Executives are awarded bonuses for finding cheap labour overseas, and thus allowing their companies to rake in more profits, while laying off thousands of domestic employees.

Healthcare—increasingly, businesses are "saving" money by reducing healthcare coverage for their lower ranked employees. Of course, the executives and their families—who actually make enough money to pay healthcare costs without health insurance—get to keep their generous coverage.
  • Reply 130 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AjbDtc826 View Post

This is what happens when u announce $51B in cash is available around campaign time.

Yes... exactly!! May have been a joke, but possibly spot-on.
  • Reply 131 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

There is no monolithic group that can be identified as "the rich". There are a tremendous number of liberal millionaires, and certainly a fair number of billionaires. How do they figure into your statement?

I was being somewhat sarcastic?hence the stupid grin at the end of my statement, which was really a paraphrase of a liberal meme I've heard over the years. You're right, there are a lot of rich people who use their money to help all sorts of causes, and I applaud them. Steve Jobs is one, and Bill Gates is another. There's nothing inherently evil about being rich?I would love to be rich myself! Unfortunately, the path I've chosen in my life ain't gonna get me there anytime soon. But that's okay. I'm happy with my life and my work.

But there are also lots of rich people and greedy corporations who are bastards whose only goal in life is to accumulate more wealth, no matter the human, or environmental cost.
  • Reply 132 of 138
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Futuristic View Post

But there are also lots of rich people and greedy corporations who are bastards whose only goal in life is to accumulate more wealth, no matter the human, or environmental cost.

Exactly. It's perfectly fine to have a country that provides a path to wealth. In fact, it's more than fine, it's fantastic. What we should ALL be against is a country that gives the wealthy a path to serfdom.
  • Reply 133 of 138
    bugsnwbugsnw Posts: 717member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by algr View Post

Such incredible arrogance that after what Bush did to the economy that Clinton gave him, republicans are still convinced that they are the ones who understand capitalism. Republicans worship capitalism but have no understanding of it.

You must mean the republican congress that shrunk govt. after the blowout in '94 (which is repeating itself in November). Put all your hatred aside and concentrate on the present. How are the looming massive tax hikes, endless spending on wasteful and ineffective stimulus programs and the creation of the largest entitlement program in history working out for you?

I'm for whoever is for small govt., lower taxes, and less regulation.

It's ironic that Obama is seeking advice from America's premier entrepreneur while his administration is the most hostile to small biz we've seen in a long time.
  • Reply 134 of 138
    Obama: "So Steve... you know why I'm here right?"

Steve: "No, what's on your mind?"

Obama: "You know this is awkward"

Steve: "What's up?"

Obama: "Well.. you know I wouldn't normally ask...but there was this security briefing last week"

Steve: "..."

Obama: "You know... with the CIA?"

Obama: "You know I'm a big fan... the girls have iPod.. and you know how bad I want an iPhone...but... well...I wouldn't mention anything except that they said there was a temporal distortion near one of your R&D labs."

Obama: "Steve... is there anything you want to tell me?"

Steve: "......................."

Obama: "Come on man... you know we go way back right?"

Steve: "........................."

Obama: "Look.. I'll tell you who I'm running with alright? Fair? It's Biden. See? No surprises... now tell me what's going on?"

Steve: ".................................."

Obama: "Okay.. AND I'll get an iPhone after next term starts okay? So now TELL me? Please?!?"

Steve: "......okay B......I can't tell you much......except to say... if you ever wanted to visit your great great grandkids... or hang out with John Lennon... I've got consumer product coming out next year... makes space and time as flexible as a Fruit Roll-up.... and runs on 2 AA batteries. Thinking about a price point of $99."

Obama: "........seriously?"

Steve: <raises eyebrows>

Obama: "Damn! And I thought it was just a new G5 prototype"

Steve: "What?? Who told you that? Who are your sources? TALK!" (ninja's silently begin taking out secret service men and covering the exits)

Obama: "Shit."
  • Reply 135 of 138
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

The vote for Obama was largely an "anti-Bush" statement. Even Republicans who voted for Obama recognized that the Republican Party had strayed too far from their "conservative roots" and needed to be out of power until they got their message and actions back on track.

Actually it was a "We cant' let that batshit-crazy woman be a heartbeat away from the presidency" vote As for the rest of the above comment, by returning to their conservative roots do you mean swallowing everything the Tea Party is feeding and looking to turn time back a couple of hundred years? I suppose that is one way to return to your roots
  • Reply 136 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by starburst View Post

Yesterday, October 21, 2010, Steve Jobs met with President Obama. One of the topics they discussed was energy independence. In a previous interview with Walt Mossberg, Steve had mentioned that he was interested in alternative energy.

If Apple could acquire the expertise and ability to produce a device, a fuel cell the size of say a microwave oven, that would power your house, imagine the market. Imagine the value of a share of Apple stock!

I remember a few years ago reading that General Motors was working on such a device and they expected it to come to market within 3 to 5 years. It didn't.

Today, Apple is the company that could make that big move. Apple is the company that could succeed where others have failed. Apple would be the most important company in the universe and Steve Jobs' legacy would be unparalleled. At this point it's about legacy.

This is a copy of an earlier post of mine - think big people

I don't think you're out of line at all with what you've got to say here. GM wanted to hire Tim Cook to be the CEO not long ago. A company the size and scope of Apple has to be thinking about 5~10, even 20 years down the future, not just holding off Android and staying ahead of Microsoft, coming up with better hardware than Samsung, Sony, Nokia, etc. over the next few years.

Apple has expanded into a variety of fields over the past decade that were not at all areas of their core competencies: media content, cellular wireless technologies and networking, and battery power and alternative energy sources, etc. As high-tech melds with consumer electronics, Apple will continue to expand into other industries that provide value to what Apple already has and expand the networking effect.

The tech industry has expanded into a variety of other industries in the past and drove innovation in those fields. I think it's only natural that America's tech companies like Apple, Google, Microsoft, IBM, HP, Oracle/Sun, Cisco, etc. will continue driving innovation in such fields as education, energy and even transportation and reduce our dependence on foreign oil. What products will evolve is difficult to predict, but I believe that tech will continue setting the trend.

Tech companies have already taken over media distribution, wireless communications and are now on the verge of taking over the TV industry and the living room. In the foreseeable future, home automation seems like the logical next step. Further down the road, the auto industry is in dire need of a complete makeover. I don't think it's coincidence that Google is already testing robot cars.

How significant will it be when Apple surpasses Exxon/Mobil as the most valuable company in the world? Very significant in terms of symbolism for what it means in the future... We can expect Google to surpass the energy companies as well. The tech companies will move into the field of energy and the automobile industry. Today's automobiles already have 30~40 microprocessors in them. They are becoming more and more like computers on wheels. It's only natural for tech companies to leverage their expertise in this area.

Sure, the traditional oil companies will conspire to protect their mega-profitable turfs but the tide is already turning. The tech industries will slowly but surely start encroaching on the automobile and energy industries. The tech companies are the only ones that could turn these industries upside down and reset into something that brings back value-added manufacturing to the US and make us energy independent.
  • Reply 137 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

Actually it was a "We cant' let that batshit-crazy woman be a heartbeat away from the presidency" vote As for the rest of the above comment, by returning to their conservative roots do you mean swallowing everything the Tea Party is feeding and looking to turn time back a couple of hundred years? I suppose that is one way to return to your roots

Where do you get the idea the Tea Party is leading this? They are a by-product of angry voters who have been ignored by both parties "in charge".
  • Reply 138 of 138
    How about switching from BlackBerry to iPhone 4? I mean, seriously.