First look: Apple's new 11 and 13 inch MacBook Air

14567810»

Comments

• Reply 181 of 186
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    How much room does the backlighting take up in the older MBAs?

Quote:

I predict that when Consumer Reports tests out the MBA, they will withhold their recommendation because of this ommission. Then Apple will be forced to hold a press conference with a hand picked group of journalists to explain why they left this feature out. When that doesn't satisfy the cult of the Mac, they will announce a free LED flex lamp for all buyers of the 2010 MacBook Air.

• Reply 182 of 186
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    How can people get so upset about this?

I've had two MBP (2007 and 2010 models) with backlit keyboards and while it's nice, I hardly ever use it, because I hardly ever look at the keyboard. If you're typing by sight still, you might want to invest your time and effort into learning how to type 10 finger system, instead of complaining about the lack of backlit keyboard, which was the standard for any computer until quite recently and still isn't present in most laptops you can buy these days. How can this be so relevant? People just need something to complain about, always.
  • Reply 183 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

It is also interesting, that although iLife '11's three major apps did not get the heart rate up to the same level, the Suite is already #1 on Amazon's Best Selling Software List. http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/software.

Already not.
  • Reply 184 of 186
    I currently have the original Macbook (2006) - Core Duo 2ghz, 2GB Ram, 320gb, Intel GMA 950. It's served me well for the last 4 years, and to be honest is still plenty fast enough for me, except for the appalling graphics performance.

I'm trying to understand how the 11-inch air would compare to this computer? The CPU is slow at 1.4ghz but it's a much newer chipset and Core 2 Duo, would this be faster? Also I'll have 4gb ram in the air plus the SSD and better graphics. Any thoughts, will I find the new air slower for anything than my current macbook?

Basically I don't want to downgrade, I understand that I can get an very fast computer in the Macbook Pro for the same price, but why bother if the air will do everything I need? The form factor of the air would be so much more flexible, and the 11-inch screen is the same resolution as my current 13-inch.
  • Reply 185 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nanoblade View Post

I'm trying to understand how the 11-inch air would compare to this computer? The CPU is slow at 1.4ghz but it's a much newer chipset and Core 2 Duo, would this be faster? Also I'll have 4gb ram in the air plus the SSD and better graphics. Any thoughts, will I find the new air slower for anything than my current macbook?

I doubt it. The processor is slower; even allowing for the improvements in Core 2 over the original Core Duo, a 1.4 C2D is probably about 85% as fast as 2.0 GHz Core Duo overall. Everything else will be faster- memory, storage, graphics.

The SSD and additional RAM should make the Air much more responsive in normal use.
  • Reply 186 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FurbiesAndBeans View Post

Could sell to people looking for just form factor instead of looking at specs.

You're describing 80%+ of the ladies, my friend! To old and young people of the female persuasion alike these MBAs, especially the 11" model, are a fashion statement!

Specs? What "specs"? Never mind specs! It works, doesn't it?

A dear lady friend of mine recently got herself a (wannabe) mother-of-pearl Samsung Diva 'smartphone'.

"Because it's the smallest and the prettiest. It was the cutest they had"...

Never mind its lame specs and UI/OS! She never looked at 'm!