cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Tell that to my microwave: it's stopped clock says "SET TIME"

lol. I guess I was wrong.
  • Reply 102 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

Some people don't need the extra power but value lightness and smallness, eg. a writer who travels a lot: they need a physical keyboard (not iPad) but having up to 8gb RAM, a 500gb HDD, and an i5 would be uneccisary.

My thoughts exactly. I could see a newsroom getting new MBAs for all their reporters and editors.
  • Reply 103 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gerald apple View Post

Why did they leave off an optical drive? This is important to some people who view movies or listen to music.Good prices.I just bought a new MBP 13inch.

Optical drives are going the way of the 3.5" floppy 10 years ago. Yes, they're still in use now, but they're fading. Besides, with the itunes store, digital downloads make a lot more sense. As for the MBAs specifically, it would be impossible to squeeze an optical drive in something that thin and have room for everything else that's there. Also, optical drives are mechanical devices which make them a liability for two reasons: 1) they're energy hogs, and 2) mechanical parts wear faster than solid-state parts.
  • Reply 104 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jetlaw View Post

I picked up an 11.6" MBA yesterday, and after getting it set up I have to say, I am going to sell my 13.3" MBP and my iPad. Even with the paltry 2GB of RAM, this thing does just fine.

I used to be heavy into photography and spent lots of time in Aperture and CS3, but I'm not doing that anymore and have found that, quite frankly, there really isn't much a difference in terms of performance between the MBA and the MBP for everyday computing tasks.

Where the difference is huge, however, is just in the experience of having such a light and nimble machine. I guess I won't know for sure until I get more time under my belt, but I like the idea of being back to bringing one device along instead of two.

I think that every once in awhile we need to step back from our geek-roots, and pick up a device and just try to do some real-world stuff with it instead of getting wrapped around the axel over specs and benchmark results.

Here is a geek-fact that I find amazing, though: For about $1100 bucks I got a sub-three-pound computer without any moving parts that runs for five hours on a charge and does everything I need it to. That is pretty amazing! By the time I factor in the sale of my MBP and iPad, my computer bag is lighter and my wallet is heavier.

Huzzah!
  • Reply 105 of 186
    Methinks these new MacBook Airs will be another win for Apple. Now, if only I had a spare $1000 burning a hole in my pocket. Sigh. \
  • Reply 106 of 186
    ajmasajmas Posts: 601member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

Probably sell the dongle or use the MacApp store.

Then again, I believe all Macs that will be able to run 10.7 can be booted from a USB device. If that is indeed the case, then maybe just replace the DVD with USB keys for all installations.
  • Reply 107 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kevt View Post

That's not what the apple spec says - 11.6" stereo!

I'll be ordering a 11,6" 4Gb, 1.6GHz, 128Gb this week.

Something I'd like to know, is whether it would be possible to get an 256Gb SSD in 11.6".

Apple don't offer one as an option, but could you order a part for the 13" one, or swap one from the 13" one and transplant it to the 11.6" Air? It should be the right sort, would it fit physically?

Hmmm ... maybe I should email iFixIt about it, they've probably taken apart at least one of each by now.

I was in Apple, yesterday evening, and not only did I ask 3 different employees (i know them all, so i asked the GOOD ones.) and in addition to that the 11" only had mono, with my own 2 ears. I had the previous Air, and it was the same audio, with this model.
  • Reply 108 of 186
    dzigndzign Posts: 27member
    Audio

Stereo speakers

Omnidirectional microphone

Headphone mini-jack

Support for Apple Earphones with Remote and Mic

http://store.apple.com/ca/browse/hom...co=MTM3NjY1OTU
  • Reply 109 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by srcolb View Post

I was in Apple, yesterday evening, and not only did I ask 3 different employees (i know them all, so i asked the GOOD ones.) and in addition to that the 11" only had mono, with my own 2 ears. I had the previous Air, and it was the same audio, with this model.

Then why does it have two speakers? (scroll down to the last picture)
  • Reply 110 of 186
    Love the software on a stick idea.....LOL. As slick as the rest of the machine. I too, like some others that have posted, need more power. I'm saving for an iPad but I don't have any intention of using that for such things, just email and book reading.
  • Reply 111 of 186
    mdjcmmdjcm Posts: 29member
    After having handled one today, the 11", i got to admit its pretty tempting. I have a 13" MBP, but rarely use the ports or optical drive. I could definitely get by with a £30 USB DVDRW drive.

The 1.4Ghz actually performed nicely with SSD speed, I am surprised. The form-factor is super desirable.

Shame about the lack of backlit keyboard and 10hour battery
  • Reply 112 of 186
    applappl Posts: 348member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MDJCM View Post

After having handled one today, the 11", i got to admit its pretty tempting.

I saw one today too. They look great. So small, so sleek.
  • Reply 113 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

I have to admit the Air is the one Apple product that I don't quite "get".

I never got the 13 inch one either - but the new 11 inch Air Mini is very nice. It is tiny, and gorgeous.
  • Reply 114 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

, an iPad could cover 99.9% of your needs .

In that case, buying a regular computer is largely a waste of money.

But if your needs are basic, I suppose it could work.
  • Reply 115 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FurbiesAndBeans View Post

Edit: I just thought about the way the Air would sell. Going into the store and seeing their laptops. You want something portable. You see the Air 11" and think it's perfect. You look at the prices and see that it's right on par with the MB. You think you're just paying a lil extra because it's small. MB Air sold!

Could sell to people looking for just form factor instead of looking at specs.

I don't think that many Mac buyers stress over specs. I also don't think that many Mac buyers stress over paying a lil extra.
  • Reply 116 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I find it funny I started a thread when the original Air came out saying 'I redesigned the MacBook Air' - with a crude mockup of the side of the machine without that trap-door, and instead a flat side with the ports in it. People here called me all sorts of names, and said I was crazy and didn't have a clue.

Then, behold; the new Air is actually like that. It feels good to be right, knowing pretty much everyone said I was dead wrong about that door. Thank you, Apple!

You're a visionary. We are but mere mortals.
  • Reply 117 of 186
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    I like this one, much more so than the previous model. I don't get why an "Air" doesn't have an optional cellular data, like the iPad. I would think that much of its target market would be people that would jump on a built-in cellular data radio.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gerald apple View Post

Why did they leave off an optical drive? This is important to some people who view movies or listen to music.Good prices.I just bought a new MBP 13inch.

Those people can get a different model. Not every model suits everyone well, why should it? What's the point of having different models if they don't serve different niches?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

Same here, it's an obvious point. And a dissapointing choice by apple. I think screen manufacturers forced them to go this way, since the 16:9 garbage aspect (to me of course, I don't claim this universally) has become industry standard.

My gut feeling: Apple's sales volumes are such that Apple can easily request a custom run of any panel they want for negligibly more than an off the shelf. They seem to have things made for them to suit their desires.

Quote:

The issue with dragging up this thread is the Flickr account is no longer with us. Nevertheless, you'll get the point: http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=84681

Where are the pictures?
  • Reply 118 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dreadkid08 View Post

I like the design and I'd want the 11 inch if it were not $999. I can't justify that price for what you get

Getting what you like may be more important than paying what you like. How long will you use the machine? How much extra does it cost?

Is a few hundred bucks worth years of enjoyment? Only you can answer that.

But if you need a more powerful machine, you'll be sorry you spent the money, even if the original price seemed like a bargain. So think about it first. And get what you need and like, without stressing too much about an easily forgettable price difference.
  • Reply 119 of 186
    Quote:

It's obvious: Lion will be sold on USB sticks, only.

It will not be sold on the Mac App Store by the way guys, because you need the physical medium for an OS install.

Lion will be available primarily on optical media. However there will be the USB stick version. Who here thinks the next MBP 13" will lose the disc drive? The writing is on the wall.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kkerst View Post

I don't get it. Why would I buy an Air 11" but for the same price, I get a much better machine buying the MacBook 13"? Makes no sense to me.

Some people really do find the Macbook/Pro 13" too big and heavy. There really is a crowd that thinks so.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by juandl View Post

Boy if you are HP, Dell, Microsoft and all the other guys. You have to be wondering, Is this ever gonna stop. NOOOO Way Man.

Apple actually just seems to be getting Started, (or Re-Started for some). Microsoft did get a Little good news though. Their best selling OS and all. They should feel all gushy about that for at least a month. Then Apple will smack them back to the cruel reality of the times.

Those aluminum machines are sure looking pretty. What was it that S. Jobs said about them, "This will change the way we think about notebooks".

Just thinking about some off the things they have rethought about lately, new AppleTV, Mac App Store, FaceTime, etc. All these things seem to be destined to do as the 3 Musketeers used to say, One for All, and All for One.

How are all those PC's supposed to compete? Be it Desktop or Laptop.

Apple is hitting them from all sides. They LOOK great. They are also at a GOOD PRICE. And then they will all WORK together as one.

And that Data Center is not being built for no reason.

You can almost hear that dastardly Jonny Ive in his Lab, playing around with that Liquid Metal stuff. Yelling, "Its mine all mine". Can't wait to see the stuff he comes up with. I am sure those PC guys can say the same too.

Also. Pretty soon Apple will start making Money (or start feeling generous). So what if they decide to bring prices down just a little bit. How many more defectors can the PC guys handle?

Apple is probably adjusting their mirror constantly, because that object they see behind them seems to keep getting smaller and smaller every day.

I like your mirror metaphor. The only thing is people are so mind-locked into the Windows way of thinking even something like the Dock scares them. They're always worried about all sorts of micromanaging things they've been whipped into thinking by MS. Where files are, how much space they're taking, how many apps are running, how to defrag, how to cleanly uninstall, etc etc. In some ways the simplicity and rationale of the Mac is Apple's own enemy. People just don't believe things can be so elegant and simple. They find it challenging, and people gravitate sometimes towards the familiar, even though they know it's possibly worse.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by alpha10711 View Post

I don't understand why anyone thinks 16:9 displays are a good idea on a small notebook. On a large display like an iMac, you can display documents side by side. But on a notebook, most documents are too small to read side by side. So 16:9 is only good for widescreen videos, and it doesn't give you enough vertical space to work on documents or view photographs with a portrait orientation.

I blame the netbook creators. For some reason they used 16:9 screens instead of 16:10 which is absolutely ridiculous in some ways because even viewing a web page causes you to scroll so much. But Apple going for the 11" needs screens in bulk so they have to bite the 16:9 bullet. Apple made a netbook. Brave move.
  • Reply 120 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

That made me smile, seeings as how when Apple first put the black bezel on their laptops (not very long ago at all) a lot of people thought it was hideous and made them look like generic Windows laptops.

I know, it's weird. I look at the current new MBA bezel and it looks "thick" and old-fashioned, at least in the pictures. In person overall it will look good though. Tech design is cyclical!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by whistle View Post

While someone is lunging these new Airs, cannot help thinking that iPad is the way to go. I can get almost all I want to do on a mobile computer with this 1.5 lb 10+hr 3G Internet and touch screen. See image below and compare to real estate shown on the first post.

There's definitely a role for the iPad. I for one don't like folding out the screen and having a separate keyboard after using the iPad. But some people do need their full Excel, Flash and whatever else, that's fine. Apple is covering all sides, from iPhone to iPad to MBA to MBP to iMac. All set for another best quarter ever. And remember iPad is still not launched in any more than just 26 countries.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

I now hear that all blu-ray codes have been broken by the pirates / Some recent boots i got are encoded in blu tray and hd -dvd at the same time .

Blu ray will now start to become very very cheap . look at what a plasma 50in cost 4 yrs ago 3k ?? More ?? Today you can buy for 800$

The incredible country wide battle for our media dollars means APPLE will have to get blu ray in its computers .

RANT OVER.

BluRay has been cracked for a while now. For at least a year and a half there's been 1080p BluRay rips on pirate torrents. ...Although even when recompressed to 4GB it's still too slow for me to download where I am Besides legality concerns.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jetlaw View Post

I think that every once in awhile we need to step back from our geek-roots, and pick up a device and just try to do some real-world stuff with it instead of getting wrapped around the axel over specs and benchmark results.

Well put.

I'm surprised what I do with my iPad. Internet, books, magazines, TV shows, relaxing gaming, and so on. And I can leave my heavy bag of my laptop and cables etc at work overnight and just come back and chill with the iPad in front of the TV, and the next morning on iPad during breakfast. And iPhone with Retina Display means I can watch fairly nice quality video connected to my 21" screen without having to lug and hookup my laptop, charger, etc. (iPhone has to be jailbroken though to watch HD content on VGA connected monitors).