Apple's Steve Jobs 'raged' at Steve Ballmer when Microsoft bought Halo

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lowededwookie View Post

Game developers are lazy and have been for years so getting OpenGL support has to do with changing game developer's minds and most won't change until the people behind OpenGL prove that it's a better system than DirectX. Technically it's a far superior system but developers have been kludging DirectX for so long they don't know how to do anything else.

It takes companies like Valve to change people's minds so next year is going to be very interesting with NATIVE Mac games being released at the same time as PC games.

Even more reason for Steve to have dragged Valve onto the stage during the Back to Mac press call and announce a financial/marketing partnership?that would have caused some ripples. OpenGL is (now) better and no time is better than now to really press that home. Even if it means financial incentives (which is what MS do because they know money talks). Apple have an appalling track record with their developers. This, too, must change.

Quote:

Jobs isn't the only person to blame for lack of games on Macs.

That's like saying Stalin and Churchill weren't to blame for two of the worlds worst famines. The boss is the boss.
  • Reply 122 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sennen View Post

This says more about you than Steve Jobs.

Really, cheer up. Written by me it would do.

"Just One More Thing"

"Barred from the MS Hospital by Bill Gates' wife, we did have the option of iAndroid but Steve didn't like options?So, out of respect for his dogma..."

?Schiller slides a gleaming black box from his shirt pocket?

"we've called it iCadaver?(GASP)?Using all we have learned about miniaturisation we've managed to fit Steve into a tapered 0.5"x2" box?Awesome?"
  • Reply 123 of 129
    tjwtjw Posts: 216member
    Quote:

There's NOTHING new in it at all and I know heaps of people that disagree with you so the dick is you.

It's the same linear crap we've had for the last 20 years. When are people going to realise the gaming industry is boring? There is NO real innovations in gaming. All this power going straight into the graphics. Were's the amazing AI? Where's the unlimited landscapes? If you want to spend your money on the same game that was around 10 years ago only with better graphics then do so but for people with more discerning tastes we like to spend our money on titles that push platforms to their limits. That's why the iPad and iPhone as gaming consoles are so exciting. Real Racing pushed the limits of a phone and made us realise that portable gaming can be amazing.

I've spent more money on my iPhone and iPad than I have even spent on my DS Lite which I loved to death because the games were fun and immersive and held my attention.

Half Life 2 held my attention all the way to the end even though it's linear and tiring but it was fun and played well. Portal was also linear and had no real action but the puzzles gave it an amazing edge that made it fun and worthy of my attention. Halo gives me nothing new and is so boring. I barely lasted the second mission before I gave up on it because it was so painful. Luckily I didn't buy it otherwise I'd have wasted my money.

N.O.V.A on the iPad is just stunning and while it's a prick to control it shows what the iPad can do and so I keep coming back to it.

Games need to be more than just pretty graphics, they have to blow you away with storylines and playability and humour and everything else that makes gaming fun. An awesome game with crap graphics kills a crap game with awesome game EVERY time.

Yet almost every review gives it fantastic ratings. Graphics is a big thing you know. You are actually saying something like desktop pcs have no innovation, they just get faster..... wanker

All you mac boys are just bitter. Games on a mac will never match other platforms because Jobs and co are more interested in selling crappy software that makes your pictures look good and lets you produce 'professional' looking home movies. That and the fact that you will never be able to customize the GPU in a mac the way you can when you build or buy a gaming rig.
  • Reply 124 of 129
    ifailifail Posts: 463member
    Quote:

There's NOTHING new in it at all and I know heaps of people that disagree with you so the dick is you.

It's the same linear crap we've had for the last 20 years. When are people going to realise the gaming industry is boring? There is NO real innovations in gaming. All this power going straight into the graphics. Were's the amazing AI? Where's the unlimited landscapes? If you want to spend your money on the same game that was around 10 years ago only with better graphics then do so but for people with more discerning tastes we like to spend our money on titles that push platforms to their limits. That's why the iPad and iPhone as gaming consoles are so exciting. Real Racing pushed the limits of a phone and made us realise that portable gaming can be amazing.

I've spent more money on my iPhone and iPad than I have even spent on my DS Lite which I loved to death because the games were fun and immersive and held my attention.

Half Life 2 held my attention all the way to the end even though it's linear and tiring but it was fun and played well. Portal was also linear and had no real action but the puzzles gave it an amazing edge that made it fun and worthy of my attention. Halo gives me nothing new and is so boring. I barely lasted the second mission before I gave up on it because it was so painful. Luckily I didn't buy it otherwise I'd have wasted my money.

N.O.V.A on the iPad is just stunning and while it's a prick to control it shows what the iPad can do and so I keep coming back to it.

Games need to be more than just pretty graphics, they have to blow you away with storylines and playability and humour and everything else that makes gaming fun. An awesome game with crap graphics kills a crap game with awesome game EVERY time.

Too bad there are no games like that on iOS.

Its funny to see people blast Halo. I personally used to love Halo, but the series isnt my cup of tea anymore. It was the game/series that kept the Xbox from completely sucking and moved systems for Microsoft. Halo still sells a ton...last i heard there was over 5 million copies of Reach sold in just over this past month.

That still doesnt take away from the fact that Halo was one of the biggest games for the gaming industry in its entirety. It spurred the entire FPS movement that happened after Halo's launch. Microsoft built up the FPS genre to be more mainstream BECAUSE of Halo...going beyond basement dwellers and PC nerds. People lined up for Halo launches (i know i did for Halo 2), these were games that made news headlines and started the trend for developers to SERIOUSLY HYPE their FPS games (see Modern Warfare 2) and even be known and despised by soccer moms and girlfriends worldwide.

Halo tied in great gameplay, great story telling, great graphics, great controls (pro tip: nearly every FPS today uses halo controls) and awesome multi-player. The entire gaming industry owes a lot to Bungie and Halo.

If Apple had bought Bungie...their successes would have been minuscule compared to now. Im happy they didnt
  • Reply 125 of 129
    CNN ran this today as if it's news:

Microsoft is a dying consumer brand

http://money.cnn.com/2010/10/27/tech...ss_igoogle_cnn
  • Reply 126 of 129
    gxcadgxcad Posts: 120member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bibbler View Post

Oh couldn't agree more. As we all know, Halo struggled on the unsuccessful XBOX Platform. It could of been a major success on the Powerhouse Gaming Platform, the Mac!!

Thanks again for your well thought out and intelligent post!!!

LOL this make me chuckle
  • Reply 127 of 129
    gxcadgxcad Posts: 120member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

This may only good strategic decision to be accredited to Ballmer.

I like when he ran out on stage screaming "GIVE IT UP FOR MEEEEEE!!!" Made me a big Microsoft fan. Well, not a Microsoft fan, just Steve Ballmer. He makes me laugh
  • Reply 128 of 129
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Maybe Apple should buy Bungie now and stop developing for XBoX. Then we will see how Ballmer feels.

Bungie has already stopped developing for Xbox exclusively, after fulfilling their contract with Microsoft. Their new project/franchise (still unknown details) will be done under Activision and will be multiplatform (though at present that seems to be confirmed only for consoles, I haven't find any mentioning of PCs at all, be it Windows or OSX).

Halo franchise, however, has remained Microsoft property and it is likely that a new studio (or even MS inhouse team) will be doing more Halo titles for X360, maybe Windows (slim chance, but you never know).

Halo was initially supposed to be on PC and Mac, though PS2 was being mentioned as well. However, it was also initially strategy game, evolving into 3rd person shooter and ending as FPS. It is impossible to guess how game would develop had MS not purchased it (and poured some cold cash into it's development); much as we know, it might have ended up as just another average me-too strategy title.
  • Reply 129 of 129
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    I'm still annoyed that Microsoft bought Rare. Some of their SNES and N64 games were incredibly innovative. And then they started developing for xbox 360 and just petered out into nothing. If they were releasing games on the Wii they would be creating pure magic and the prequel to Perfect Dark wouldn't have sucked. Sometimes it feels like Ubisoft and Capcom are the only decent 3rd party wii developers left.