Apple delays launch of white iPhone 4 until Spring 2011

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple on Tuesday announced it was again forced to delay the launch of its white iPhone 4, this time past the holiday buying season until Spring 2011.

John Packowski of Digital Daily received word from Apple that the white iPhone 4 won't arrive until next year. The news comes after some speculated the device's inclusion in an update to the Apple Store application on the App Store could imply an imminent launch.

"We're sorry to disappoint customers waiting for the white iPhone yet again, but we've decided to delay its release until this Spring," an Apple spokesperson reportedly said.

Apple has publicly delayed the white iPhone 4 numerous times. In late July, the company issued its last update on the hardware, stating that it would go on sale in late 2010.

In July, Apple said that manufacturing of the white hardware proved "more challenging to manufacture" than the company had originally anticipated. That reveal came just a week after Chief Executive Steve Jobs publicly said the white iPhone 4 was on track to launch by the end of July.

Some reports have claimed that Apple and its manufacturing partners have had difficulty creating glass with the right shade of white for the handset. Apple, however, has not offered specifics on the issues, though the white model has not been available for sale anywhere since the iPhone 4 launched on June 24.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 57
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Hey, I love my iPhone 4, but is there anyone still waiting for the whole "White iPhone 4" thing?
  • Reply 2 of 57
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    I don't really care much about the white iPhone, but I am curious as to whether it really is production difficulties or if it is more an issue of production capacity.

Maybe all the equipment intended for white production was first pressed into reducing the iP4 backlog and is now being tasked with making iPV (for Verizon)...
  • Reply 3 of 57
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    The real reason is antennagate. Whether they admit it or not.

They decided internally to concentrate on iPhone 5 rather than waste their time and resources trying to get the white iPhone 4 right. After all they have to correct the whole weak-spot thing, while keeping the device thin and cool looking and giving the phone co-CDMA capabilities. Not an easy task.

Less glass this time and less antenna touching my hand, please. Then I can upgrade my iPhone 2G. Yeah, i know.
  • Reply 4 of 57
    Would there be any point of releasing Spring 2011? Seeing how Apple refreshes the iPhone lineup in June...
  • Reply 5 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

The real reason is antennagate. Whether they admit it or not.

What? How does the color of the phone lead you to that conclusion?
  • Reply 6 of 57
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    Hey, Apple. Outsource it to ColorWare. They seem to get it right. Those asians just don't get it.
  • Reply 7 of 57
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Does anyone really even care anymore at this point? Anybody that wanted an iPhone 4 (and had the means to get it, and their contract was up) has probably already gotten it by now.
  • Reply 8 of 57
    My wife cares.

She didn't buy a car because the interior color was not to her liking.

She's been waiting for a white iphone 4.

Maybe she'll give up now.

Some people just want that color!

WOMEN!
  • Reply 9 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Matthew Yohe;

What? How does the color of the phone lead you to that conclusion?

They couldn't get the color right. But then they decided to try to get the black phone right and figure out what was going on with it before they went and made more a mess. Then they made a decision to negate the white iPhone while concentrating on iPhone 5 and its white sibling.
  • Reply 10 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Katonah;

My wife cares.

She didn't buy a car because the interior color was not to her liking.

She's been waiting for a white iphone 4.

Maybe she'll give up now.

Some people just want that color!

White iPhones can be attractive to men too. I can definitely relate to wanting a certain color for the interior of a new car. Cars are expensive things, you have to live with them, it makes no sense buying unless you're fully satisfied.
  • Reply 11 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Hey, Apple. Outsource it to ColorWare. They seem to get it right. Those asians just don't get it.

You don't get it.
  • Reply 12 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Does anyone really even care anymore at this point? Anybody that wanted an iPhone 4 (and had the means to get it, and their contract was up) has probably already gotten it by now.

I had the money set aside for a white iPhone 4 when it was originally going to be released and my contract was up. I'm still being patient and waiting. If I'm going to spend money on something that is going to last me 2+ years I'm going to wait for them to release it the way I want it.
  • Reply 13 of 57
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Why even bother now. By next spring the next iPhone will be just 3 to 4 months away.

Someone said this before in previous thread. The white iPhone might be CDMA version.
  • Reply 14 of 57
    I want a white one and I've been holding off.

Maybe good things come to those who wait- iPhone 4.5 with various fixes, pre iPhone 5?

Oh, and I'm a guy, last time I checked.
  • Reply 15 of 57
    This is why Mick Jagger said 'Paint it Black'. No wonder Stevie Jobs can't get no satisfaction.
  • Reply 16 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by userblah View Post

I had the money set aside for a white iPhone 4 when it was originally going to be released and my contract was up. I'm still being patient and waiting. If I'm going to spend money on something that is going to last me 2+ years I'm going to wait for them to release it the way I want it.

By the time you wait for Spring '11 (and I bet between now and then, they'll cancel it), the iPhone 5 will soon be here.

What's the point then? What's the point in introducing a new model a few months before the next generation comes out which will no doubt be better in almost every way. It makes absolutely no sense.
  • Reply 17 of 57
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

Hey, I love my iPhone 4, but is there anyone still waiting for the whole "White iPhone 4" thing?

I was waiting, but at this point, I'm waiting for iPhone 5.
  • Reply 18 of 57
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
  • Reply 19 of 57
    -ag--ag- Posts: 123member
    I dont get what the big deal is.

Reuters asked Apple about the white iPhone and what are their feelings.

Apple respond with they are disappointed.

Reuters then ask Apple if the white iPhone 4 will be delayed until spring like the rumours say.

Apple refuse to comment.

WHERE does it say that Apple are delaying it till the spring?

Firstly it would be a waste of time due to the iPhone 5 coming out a few months later and Secondly if the other rumours are to be believed, they are likely to release it when they do the CDMA update scheduled for January (according to rumours).

Either way its another case of we have nothing to write about so lets just make some s@#t up.

I often wonder if these people use something like this to write their stories...

• Reply 20 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by -AG- View Post

I dont get what the big deal is.

Reuters asked Apple about the white iPhone and what are their feelings.

Apple respond with they are disappointed.

Reuters then ask Apple if the white iPhone 4 will be delayed until spring like the rumours say.

Apple refuse to comment.

WHERE does it say that Apple are delaying it till the spring?

Firstly it would be a waste of time due to the iPhone 5 coming out a few months later and Secondly if the other rumours are to be believed, they are likely to release it when they do the CDMA update scheduled for January (according to rumours).

Either way its another case of we have nothing to write about so lets just make some s@#t up.

I often wonder if these people use something like this to write their stories...

http://digitaldaily.allthingsd.com/2...ing/?mod=tweet

Quote:

Said a company spokesperson, ?We?re sorry to disappoint customers waiting for the white iPhone yet again, but we?ve decided to delay its release until this Spring.?