Light leaks causing camera issues with Apple's white iPhone 4 - rumor

Comments

• Reply 21 of 46
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    Why would he call Steve about a RUMOR?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by PatsFan83 View Post

Coming from the guy with one post.

Why don't you call up Steve Jobs and tell him how to do his job, ok? You obviously know how to fix it.

• Reply 22 of 46
    dvxdvx Posts: 4member
    This is certainly plausible. Most other problems hypothesized do not appear difficult to solve, but this would be difficult to solve while maintaining a single sheet of glass covering the back of the device.

However, Apple engineers must have experimented with boring a hole in the glass, making the inner diameter of the hole light tight, bonding a glass disk inside this hole, and polishing both sides.

This does not seem like it would be prohibitively expensive, so I wonder why it either does not work or has not been selected.
  • Reply 23 of 46
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marokero View Post

All my DSLRs are black, and none have light leaks, except for really long exposures with the optical viewfinder open - they all have viewfinder covers or shutters for those instances. But body color shouldn't be a factor at all, the camera/lens section of the phone should be better sealed from the rest of the device, simple fix imo.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobrk View Post

Yeah the camera part of the phone has to be light tight. Maybe there is some glare from the white plastic into the lens. I know my iPhone 4 is very sensitive to gunk on the lens, especially in situations where the flash is used, or a case is on the phone.

I was thinking the same thing. The camera module itself should already be light-proof from the lens to the sensor (and dust proof). If the lens is inset into the case and there is white plastic forming a barrel around the lens, you could get reflections from the plastic causing glare across the lens. Similarly, if the white plastic channels light from the flash across the front of the lens, that can cause glare, too. But if that's all it was, you'd think a simple black coating around the inside of the hole through the case would be all it took to solve the issue. (And then I'd go fire the engineer who thought having an exposed white surface near a camera lens was OK.)
  • Reply 24 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Talk of this white iPhone is getting out of control.

I just thought it was a rumor started by Steve.
  • Reply 25 of 46
    eehdeehd Posts: 137member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marokero View Post

All my DSLRs are black, and none have light leaks, except for really long exposures with the optical viewfinder open - they all have viewfinder covers or shutters for those instances. But body color shouldn't be a factor at all, the camera/lens section of the phone should be better sealed from the rest of the device, simple fix imo.

My thoughts exactly.
  • Reply 26 of 46
    I said it before and I'll say it again. Apple is using the white iPhone as an excuse to redesign and fix the antenna issue as well. They don't want to admit there's a flaw with the antenna design because that will mean massive recalls, but if they happen to redesign the iPhone so the white works, then the black will follow and they kill two birds with one stone.

I'll bet you a quarter.
  • Reply 27 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

The could just ship it and include a free case with a back, as the did with the black unit for the antenna.

Defeats the whole purpose of buying a white phone, no?
  • Reply 28 of 46
    bagmanbagman Posts: 349member
    Well, they are probably going to use the Liquidmetal for the iPhone 5 anyhow, so this should "solve" the glass back issue altogether, and solve the problems with the breakage issue common to the iPhone 4. Then, we can all wait for them to perfect the white liquidmetal back in the iPhone 5. (preorders are available now, of course).
  • Reply 29 of 46
    So the assertion is that light can reach the sensor without having gone through the lens? That just doesn't sound right.
  • Reply 30 of 46
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    This doesn't make sense to me. I think this is a simple supply issue, and not a functional issue specific to white iphones.

Still obviously just a guess, though.
  • Reply 31 of 46
    xsuxsu Posts: 401member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Naboozle View Post

So the assertion is that light can reach the sensor without having gone through the lens? That just doesn't sound right.

If the light from the flash diffuse throughout the back panel glass, and the camera lens sits behind a window of the back panel, the light can possibly leak into the camera. If that's the way iPhone4 is made.
  • Reply 32 of 46
    hkzhkz Posts: 190member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PatsFan83 View Post

Coming from the guy with one post.

Why don't you call up Steve Jobs and tell him how to do his job, ok? You obviously know how to fix it.

I'm sorry, please explain what my post count has to do with having direct experience that is contradictory to this rumor. Since you have 133 more than me your opinion matters more than my firsthand experience? I have what is quite possibly a Chinese knockoff of the white iPhone 4 back panel that is OEM quality and don't have anything close to what this unnamed source claims is the problem. Do you have a white iPhone 4? Do you have this problem? Care to add anything to the discussion other than your idiotic superiority complex about having more posts than me? It's idiots like you that have kept me from registering here even though I've been lurking as long as you've had an account. I hate to justify your asinine comment by responding to it, but I must say it's people like you that kept me from posting here. Especially in the threads spreading lies and disinformation about jailbreaking. Most of AI is alright but people like you ruin a good site with your crap.

Photo taken in complete darkness. Not washed out at all, looks perfectly fine to me.

I dont have this problem. I think it's just someone starting a BS rumor. Unless you have a white iPhone 4 I don't see how you have any reason to comment other than to try and troll someone who does have first hand experience with this 'problem'. If a Chinese knockoff works just fine Apple either has standards that are unrealistic, or have other reasons not to release a white iPhone.
  • Reply 33 of 46
    gxcadgxcad Posts: 120member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rbonner View Post

I am always testing this with my eyes as well, must close them for at least 30 mins after lunch to check for light leaks.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Very funny. I think I might go and test for leaks right now. Is the best way to lean back wherever you are, or to find a quiet spot where you won't be disturbed? I like the idea of a secret testing facility someone mentioned above.

I didn't get it right away at first, but after reading the post quoted second, I burst out laughing. Good one!
  • Reply 34 of 46
    gxcadgxcad Posts: 120member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

How does this make sense? The camera and flash are flush with the glass and the surrounding components are covered by an opaque black film.

I think it's actually the proximity sensor in the front of the phone that's having the problem.

That would make the most sense, since it is the most significantly different part used between the white and black iphone (the white one actually having a set of holes in the glass it looks like). Those holes might be too small and too close together for strength. Its always been my #1 suspicion about the white iphone 4 delays.
  • Reply 35 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by robogobo View Post

I said it before and I'll say it again. Apple is using the white iPhone as an excuse to redesign and fix the antenna issue as well. They don't want to admit there's a flaw with the antenna design because that will mean massive recalls, but if they happen to redesign the iPhone so the white works, then the black will follow and they kill two birds with one stone.

I'll bet you a quarter.

The thing is, Apple continues to sell out of the black model and are continually expanding their distribution . People also seem to have stopped complaining--case program or not. All that coupled with the defiant tone Apple maintains leaves me perplexed but still doubting they are withholding the white model to reintroduce any sort of new design/fix.

however:

If it's a color matching issue between the button and the faceplate, I would have to imagine a fix by now. Ditto for the proximity sensor.

This latest rumor regarding the leaking light doesn't appear legitimate either--even before those with white iphones claimed it was/is a non issue.

So we are still left with questions. Why would Apple post a white model on their website or even offer the option if it had not cleared their notoriously stringent development? I don't know, maybe you're right.
  • Reply 36 of 46
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HKZ View Post

I'm sorry, please explain what my post count has to do with having direct experience that is contradictory to this rumor. Since you have 133 more than me your opinion matters more than my firsthand experience? I have what is quite possibly a Chinese knockoff of the white iPhone 4 back panel that is OEM quality and don't have anything close to what this unnamed source claims is the problem. Do you have a white iPhone 4? Do you have this problem? Care to add anything to the discussion other than your idiotic superiority complex about having more posts than me? It's idiots like you that have kept me from registering here even though I've been lurking as long as you've had an account. I hate to justify your asinine comment by responding to it, but I must say it's people like you that kept me from posting here. Especially in the threads spreading lies and disinformation about jailbreaking. Most of AI is alright but people like you ruin a good site with your crap.

Photo taken in complete darkness. Not washed out at all, looks perfectly fine to me.

I dont have this problem. I think it's just someone starting a BS rumor. Unless you have a white iPhone 4 I don't see how you have any reason to comment other than to try and troll someone who does have first hand experience with this 'problem'. If a Chinese knockoff works just fine Apple either has standards that are unrealistic, or have other reasons not to release a white iPhone.

While I agree that your post count is completely irrelevant, if your back plate is a knock-off, it may not be the same material as Apple is trying to use. Perhaps yours is more opaque and Apple's is more translucent, allowing light to travel through the material.

I still find this rumor to be unlikely. But 9 months for color matching? That's just blowing smoke. The "we delayed it long enough that we might as well wait until we can relaunch the white iPhone with a spring launch of the CDMA and/or fixed antenna iPhone v5" theory is starting to sound interesting.
  • Reply 37 of 46
    Sounds fishy to me. I had always assumed that the camera in an iPhone was an integrated sealed unit, not a collection of loose components (sensor, lens, etc.) fitted into their respective places within the iPhone case.
  • Reply 38 of 46
    hkzhkz Posts: 190member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

While I agree that your post count is completely irrelevant, if your back plate is a knock-off, it may not be the same material as Apple is trying to use. Perhaps yours is more opaque and Apple's is more translucent, allowing light to travel through the material.

I still find this rumor to be unlikely. But 9 months for color matching? That's just blowing smoke. The "we delayed it long enough that we might as well wait until we can relaunch the white iPhone with a spring launch of the CDMA and/or fixed antenna iPhone v5" theory is starting to sound interesting.

It probably is a knockoff but if it is, it's a fantastic one. It matches the black back exactly save for Apple branding. And I mean exactly, there isn't one thing that's different material or construction wise from the black one. I agree with you on the CDMA/Antenna issue. But I would have bet that T-Mobile would get the iPhone before anyone else. They are GSM same as AT&T and verizon make some seriously draconian decisions on what goes on their phone. I'd bet T-Mobile would be willing to bend to Apples control over the phone like AT&T did. This rumor is just crap to me. For a company that gets so many accolades for design and manufacturing quality this issue about color matching is probably false in a big way. If something as simple a painting glass is stopping Apple my ass is ice cream. I don't believe for a second that colored glass would really give Apple so many problems, especially since you can get OEM quality parts like the back I have through other channels.
  • Reply 39 of 46
    I'm glad Apple's quality control isn't letting this out until it's right. If you can't have a properly working product, it's better to have none at all.

Too bad they didn't realize that before they put out the iPhone Bluetooth headset a few years ago.
  • Reply 40 of 46
    I thought Apple was so over white. They changed the iMac & even the Mac Mini to aluminum. AppleTV went black.