Apple's next-gen iPad rumored to have two cameras - report

Comments

• Reply 41 of 146
    stompystompy Posts: 408member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

... So someone makes a single statement that doesn't align with your POV on Apple .... You didn't need write a thesis.

It's surprising how little effort theses require these days.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showp...2&postcount=38
  • Reply 42 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stompy View Post

It's surprising how little effort theses require these days.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showp...2&postcount=38

Well bud you're gifted with attention to detail..

One thing for sure he knows how to copy and paste. He recycles so he's a friend to the environment.
  • Reply 43 of 146
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    I can actually think of some good uses for a back-facing camera on an iPad. Bar code scanning. Augmented reality apps. The ability to take a snapshot then sketch over it for design ideation. It's all about the apps... no, you're not going to buy an iPad explicitly for photography, but a camera is a fantastic peripheral for a CPU these days.

I have an iPad to take on business trips since my company doesn't let me do anything personal with my work laptop (no personal email, IM, Facebook, etc.) If I could video-chat with it it would be almost perfect for that use. Which is fine, since now the wife and kids use the thing so much I leave it for them when I travel, and will probably be picking up an iPad2.
  • Reply 44 of 146
    801801 Posts: 271member
    Let's see:

The hardware has already been developed and deployed successfully. Parts bought in greater bulk are cheaper. The main initial cost would be altering the back to accept a camera lens, and probably flash. We could cut and paste the design out of the CAD software for the iphone, since we left the notch and circuit position for the front facing camera in place from the beginning.

Skip the Retinal display. Good idea, but poor yield in needed volume is probable from the retinal supplier. Leave that down stream until the cost come down and yield goes up. That will be hot the year after next.

How to market the new rear camera? No one makes a camera, of any actual cost that a consumer can purchase (or at all) with a giant monitor attached. No one has actually had this sort of display unless you were using a bellows style camera like Ansel Adams. We could add some photographic overlays to assist composition ( thirds or a drag, size and rotate golden rectangle, or magnification ), and it would look fun and interesting at the keynote and in the store. Maybe throw in black and white and zones like Ansel, you might pick up a few of the intelligentsia.

So, I say, it might work. If you had a prototype to play with, you might be surprised what you could do with it.
  • Reply 45 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

Thank you, AppleInsider, for having more common sense than Detwiler Fenton. A rear-facing camera on a tablet makes about as much sense as a 7" model that was supposedly coming down the pipe.

Now, when you think of taking pictures with a tablet, yes... that is pretty silly. But for the purposes of facetime, it makes loads of sense.

I haven't used facetime, and I rarely video chat on my Mac, but one feature of facetime on the iPhone that i think is great, is the ability to use the rear camera. I don't care to show my face to others when i'm talking, but if i could call my mom so she could watch her grandson open the presents she sent him for Christmas, that's another story.

This will surely be on the next iPad. However, it won't likely be as good as the iPhone 4... I'd guess the same camera will be on the front and rear.
  • Reply 46 of 146
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ncee View Post

PS As for a front/rear camera. If this is for taking pictures, rumor has it, Nikon might be coming out with something called a camera, used just fro taking pictures.

Wasn't it that printer company, Canon, that was going to start selling those camera thingies?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ochyming View Post

No, because they did not figure how to make it work the way they want, picky as they are, Apple designers of course.

More likely, they could have made it work, but held it in reserve for version 2. Think of much of the hardware and software Apple comes out with. Version 1 always only covers the basics. Even the most obvious things are left out, and I really think part of the reason is to allow them to keep on a regular upgrade cycle.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

How do you figure it would drive the price up? It didn't for the current iPhones.

The price didn't go up, but neither did the amount of flash memory. I strongly suspect the savings in lower flash prices went to paying for the retina display instead of increasing the capacity.
  • Reply 47 of 146
    I'm waiting on the white iPad.
  • Reply 48 of 146
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

Don't get out of the house much?

I for one would love an iPad and I have a MacBook Pro. While I can take my MacBook Pro out, it's a bit of an ordeal having to pack my bag and go out. If I had an iPad, just pick it up and I would be on my way to the nearest coffee shop.

I have a MBP and an iPhone. The iPad falls somewhere in between. It is too big to lug around and too limited to be a replacement for a MBP. I don't have any time to sit around a coffeehouse anyway. At work I have a MacPro with a 30" cinema and my time off is better spent on things other than surfing the net. If I want to watch video I prefer the large LCD in the the family room.
  • Reply 49 of 146
    momusmomus Posts: 54member
    Ooh, two cameras. Wake me up when the iPad can replace my sketchbook.
  • Reply 50 of 146
    stompystompy Posts: 408member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

He recycles so he's a friend to the environment.

Have to admit, I LOL'd, need more of that on these boards.
  • Reply 51 of 146
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

Typical Apple fanboi spin. These guys just can't bring themselves to admit that someone outside of Apple can have a good idea. And that Apple might actually implement those ideas. The fanbois spend their time rationalizing Apple's decisions while dismissing everyone else's feature requests. But when Apple changes their position, the fanbois change their story along with Apple and deny ever dismissing those feature requests. Or they try to spin it as "Apple was going to do it eventually". Or worse, "Apple did it just to shut people up".

But, were there not stories on AI and other sites that showed the internal guts of the iPad showing a mount where a camera could be hooked up? And not having a camera in the first iPad iteration and Samsung Galaxy Tab does, does not mean Samsung came up with a good idea. It's not as if miniature cameras are new or anything and is a revolutionary, game changing, good idea. It could be considered rather an 'inevitable' addition. And I'd much rather have a tablet OS built from the ground up versus MS trying to stuff a desktop Windows into a tablet form or have Google say their latest Android OS is not tablet optimized, so Samsung sticks in an even earlier version of Android OS into their device over whether the first iPad has a camera or not any day!

By the same rationale you can write to Samsung about this video ad and tell them to not highlight everything that the iPad already does, Navigation, e-Reading (Apple needs to give that up to Kindle, also), Web Browsing, Augmented Reality... The only thing Samsung can "tout" as remotely new and different from the iPad and Great Ideas is Video Conferencing... Right?!... Because didn't Apple's iPad already have the "great idea" of the other talking points?

What truly is rationalizing, by fanbois and non fanbois alike, is wondering why Samsung didn't put forth the Galaxy Tab prior to the iPad? Instead of the rush job they have coming out now. And when I say rush job, I mean where Google itself said Android OS is not optimised for the tablet even at it's most latest rendition, 2.2 Froyo, which is not what is in this machine.

It appears the Galaxy Tab and Dell Streak just want to ride on the coat-tails of Apple's iPad success of their version of a "tablet" as a 'me-too' so called competitor. Apple took the risk and Samsung and Dell wants to hog the lime life with their so called tablet and reap the possible rewards of Apple's blood, sweat and tears. Really great idea.

Wow, has it been six months now?...

/

/

/
  • Reply 52 of 146
    I think most people will be happy with just a front facing camera. Nobody b!tches about notebooks only having one camera. But I'm sure iPad 2 will have two just so people can do that FaceTime camera switching thingy like on the iPhone 4.
  • Reply 53 of 146
  • Reply 54 of 146
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    I wonder why he's allowed to continue posting? That's a troll, pure and simple.
  • Reply 55 of 146
    Facetime is cool tech and stuff and probably will eventually migrate to all OSs. But I'm too old school. Sometimes I want to pick my nose or roll my eyes or not brush my hair when talking to someone on the phone.

Maybe someone will create an App of your best pics and simply animate and match to speech (like Max Headroom) if you don't want to talk live.
  • Reply 56 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

That would be... 'loser'.

Yes, I know how to spell the word, that's why I put it in quotes. Unfortunately, 99.99% of the people who criticize anything non-Apple, call users of those products "loosers"..

As a matter of fact, 100% of my post came from remarks made on AI, MR, or MDN... It's Apple fanboy speak!!!!

Apple products are the very best. Why?? Because they are so "elegant", and "sexy" and Delicious" .. Anything without an Apple logo on it is "clunky" and "junky"....

Loosers indeed...
  • Reply 57 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

Typical Apple fanboi spin. These guys just can't bring themselves to admit that someone outside of Apple can have a good idea. And that Apple might actually implement those ideas. The fanbois spend their time rationalizing Apple's decisions while dismissing everyone else's feature requests. But when Apple changes their position, the fanbois change their story along with Apple and deny ever dismissing those feature requests. Or they try to spin it as "Apple was going to do it eventually". Or worse, "Apple did it just to shut people up".

Apple will not make a video iPod. Nobody wants to watch video on an iPod.

Apple should not allow third parties to create native iPhone applications. Nobody cares about third party iPhone applications. Web apps are really SWEET.

Apple will not add GPS to the iPhone. Nobody cares about GPS on a phone.

Apple will not add copy and paste to the iPhone. Nobody cares about copy and paste.

Apple will not add multitasking to the iPhone. Nobody cares about multitasking.

Apple should not allow non-Apple dev tools for iPhone.

Apple will not make a tablet. Nobody cares about tablets.

Apple will never switch to Intel processors.

You don't seem to understand business very well.
  • Reply 58 of 146
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SCProfessor View Post

Facetime is cool tech and stuff and probably will eventually migrate to all OSs. But I'm too old school. Sometimes I want to pick my nose or roll my eyes or not brush my hair when talking to someone on the phone.

Maybe someone will create an App of your best pics and simply animate and match to speech (like Max Headroom) if you don't want to talk live.

Or someone else's face and synthesized voice. How long before there's an app for that?
  • Reply 59 of 146
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bibbler View Post

As a matter of fact, 100% of my post came from remarks made on AI, MR, or MDN... It's Apple fanboy speak!!!!

Apple products are the very best. Why?? Because they are so "elegant", and "sexy" and Delicious" .. Anything without an Apple logo on it is "clunky" and "junky"....

Loosers indeed...

No, that's pretty much 99.99% Appl3 h8er speak. (See how I did that, I spelled it funny, ergo it's kewl.) Almost every time an Apple product is referred to as "sexy" it's by someone who troll's Apple fan sites complaning about people who appreciate Apple products. As in "you loosers only like the MacBook Air because it's 'sexy.'" To which most of the responses are along the lines of "although it is attractive, the main appeal to me is that it's lightweight and runs the OS I prefer and which allows me to be more productive."

In other words, go away troll.
  • Reply 60 of 146
    steve-jsteve-j Posts: 320member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I don't believe that any official Apple spokesperson or Steve Jobs made such claims!

Do you have a citation?

No, they were not claims made by Apple. They were comments by forum posters.