Apple's next-gen iPad rumored to have two cameras - report

Comments

• Reply 81 of 146
    Please make a stereo 3d camera!!!
  • Reply 82 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bibbler View Post

OMG OMG OMG, this is revolutionary!! The iPad is going to get at least one, maybe two cameras!!!

I hope the rear camera is a revolutionary and magical .7 mp camera like the amazing iPod touch has!! At second though, maybe they should save the rear camera until the 2012 update, and in 2013 Steve could add an AMAZING 512 meg of RAM to it!!!

It's a game changer.... It's so SEXY and delicious looking. Doesn't everyone agree????? The hell with "clunky' and "crappy" netbooks that can do actual work - I like all of you want to spend my entire existence "surfing the web", "checking my email", "enjoying my photographs and music"!!!

Wooo Hoo Steve!!! Ballmer is throwing chairs again cause MS is TOAST!!! Everyone who uses something without an Apple logo is a "looser"!!!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bibbler_signature

iMac 24" (Late 07), iMac 17" G5, Mac mini (Early 09), MacBook (Mid 07), iPad WiFi 32, iPhone 3GS, iBook G4 1.2, HP Compaq 610 Laptop, eMachine W5233

Oh, the irony. Why oh why do you all keep on buying Apple products if you hate them so much...???
  • Reply 83 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

All I want is slimmer side bezels (like on the iPhone) so I can actually type on the thing, and a software preference to get the home screen to only slide sideways like the iPhone instead of doing gymnastic flips every time you touch the device.

I will probably upgrade just so I can take a Dremel to the old one and shave down those sides. It's so irritating how they get in the way and have no purpose other than making it a bit easier for "teh stupids" to manipulate the device. The additional knowledge that there is nothing but air inside those parts of the iPad makes it even more infuriating.

"Teh Stupids" are most of Apple's customers now, sorry to say...
  • Reply 84 of 146
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Also, in iOS on the new iPad, if you go to Settings > About and scroll to the end, then tap the home button and power button, you get a phone number to call and a code which gets you a free Lexus.

and a free iPhone from Verizon, T-Mobile, Cricket, Sprint or U.S. Cellular.
  • Reply 85 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

Also, in iOS on the new iPad, if you go to Settings > About and scroll to the end, then tap the home button and power button, you get a phone number to call and a code which gets you a free Lexus.

and a free iPhone from Verizon, T-Mobile, Cricket, Sprint or U.S. Cellular.

RATS! The iOS on my new iPad keeps crashing every time I tap the home button and power button... Guess I can fuhgeddaboutit with regards to that new Lexus!
  • Reply 86 of 146
    I thought about why would Apple designers think that anyone would want to use an iPad as a camera. I know the front facing one is obvious but a rear facing one? How awkward. But it dawned on me and it was already mentioned: bar code scanning. I work in a hospital and we use bar codes all day to ensure correct patient identification and medications. Even Apple is suprised how much enterprise interest there is in the iPad but they are smelling blood and trying to figure out how to get more business sales. This is huge money even to Apple. Although unlikely I would not be surprised to see Apple buy one of the iPhone bar code scanning programs (the name eludes me currently). At the very least working very closely with them to perfect that technology. There are a myriad of business applications. I can only imagine what it would mean for my AAPL shares when I go to a grocery store and see a stock person using an iPad. Maybe not but potential is a terrible thing to waste.

Brian
  • Reply 87 of 146
    aeolianaeolian Posts: 189member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

In related news, the next iPad will be newer than the old one.

I commend this review. What am I going to do with a camera on my Ipad.?? I only have three cameras that are better than what Apple can support. Leave the camera support to those who can do it well.

Then again, maybe I'm angry that i only have 64gig on my machine. I have over that on user downloadable content.

The IPad is a media consumption device. Live with it.
  • Reply 88 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aeolian View Post

I commend this review. What am I going to do with a camera on my Ipad.?? I only have three cameras that are better than what Apple can support. Leave the camera support to those who can do it well.

Then again, maybe I'm angry that i only have 64gig on my machine. I have over that on user downloadable content.

The IPad is a media consumption device. Live with it.

I was flipping through channels the other day and saw one of the news network anchors using an iPad to control and highlight the presentation screen instead of the grand gesture Minority Report system some other network uses. Much more understated and elegant. This is creating content not consuming it. As long as a device is programmable, there will be someone who creates an application which was never originally intended and maybe extend functionality. Just because you don't see potential does not mean no one else will.

Brian
  • Reply 89 of 146
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

Steve's insistence on using the side switch for mute in iOS 4.2 has me convinced that he himself never uses an iPad.

Ignoring your troll-like assertion that it's Steve's will that this is changing and not following customer feedback... in iOS4 a double tap of the home button and slide to the left brings the software orientation control. It makes more sense to have the features implemented uniformly across product lines.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SEOsudo View Post

I am very happy about the front facing camera and this will prompt me to purchase one (although the new MB Airs have my attention), but what is with the rear facing camera? I can not image using this device to take photos?

The rear-facing camera isn't for photography.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post

I can actually think of some good uses for a back-facing camera on an iPad. Bar code scanning. Augmented reality apps. The ability to take a snapshot then sketch over it for design ideation. It's all about the apps... no, you're not going to buy an iPad explicitly for photography, but a camera is a fantastic peripheral for a CPU these days.

Quite. The rear camera won't be for photography. As such it'll probably be the 0.7MPx sensor seen in the iPod touch rather than the 5MPx iPhone one.
  • Reply 90 of 146
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrtotes View Post

Ignoring your troll-like assertion that it's Steve's will that this is changing and not following customer feedback... in iOS4 a double tap of the home button and slide to the left brings the software orientation control. It makes more sense to have the features implemented uniformly across product lines.

The rear-facing camera isn't for photography.

Quite. The rear camera won't be for photography. As such it'll probably be the 0.7MPx sensor seen in the iPod touch rather than the 5MPx iPhone one.

I think it will be a 2MP rear camera, and VGA front camera for FaceTime.

Rear Camera is for all sorts of uses - one thing springs to mind. You're a real estate agent. You're a insurance agent at an accident. Whip out your iPad... Rather than take photos with cell phone then email/ sync/ whatever, imagine real out-in-the-field apps which integrate your real estate/ insurance/ etc. database with being able to snap pictures straight away. Sure at first it will feel silly holding out your slate to take pics, but after a while you will wonder how you ever had a tablet without a camera.

Field workers, Road warriors, Home users showing off the new baby by FaceTime...
  • Reply 91 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by malax View Post

No, that's pretty much 99.99% Appl3 h8er speak. (See how I did that, I spelled it funny, ergo it's kewl.) Almost every time an Apple product is referred to as "sexy" it's by someone who troll's Apple fan sites complaning about people who appreciate Apple products. As in "you loosers only like the MacBook Air because it's 'sexy.'" To which most of the responses are along the lines of "although it is attractive, the main appeal to me is that it's lightweight and runs the OS I prefer and which allows me to be more productive."

In other words, go away troll.

Son, Calling Mac and iPhone users like me a "troll" isn't going to cut it in 2010. That may of worked out fine when Apple had a 2% market share and you zealots got together on discussion forums to congratulate yourselves, but as Apple approaches mainstream, most people aren't going to stand hypnotized drooling when Steve Jobs declares, "It's just so elegant, sexy, and delitious" ..

I like Apple products and that's why I use them, but the Mac mini a a $399 computer and the new 11" Air is a 400 dollar netbook.

What exactly is the features of the OS that allow you to be more productive? None. Exactly the same as MS, Android, Linux, or any other OS. It's an operating system for Christ's sake. It's not "magical" or "delicious", it's just an operating system.

Back to the point. The iPad is crippled in it's current form. It needs a front facing camera at the very least, it need a gig of RAM, it need to be able to run programs developers create without Steve Jobs' approval, and it needs to be able to view the entire internet.

Of course, that means little to you, doesn't it? It's just so magical, elegant, and sexy!!
  • Reply 92 of 146
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:

Son, Calling Mac and iPhone users like me a "troll" isn't going to cut it in 2010. That may of worked out fine when Apple had a 2% market share and you zealots got together on discussion forums to congratulate yourselves, but as Apple approaches mainstream, most people aren't going to stand hypnotized drooling when Steve Jobs declares, "It's just so elegant, sexy, and delitious" ..

I like Apple products and that's why I use them, but the Mac mini a a $399 computer and the new 11" Air is a 400 dollar netbook.

What exactly is the features of the OS that allow you to be more productive? None. Exactly the same as MS, Android, Linux, or any other OS. It's an operating system for Christ's sake. It's not "magical" or "delicious", it's just an operating system.

Back to the point. The iPad is crippled in it's current form. It needs a front facing camera at the very least, it need a gig of RAM, it need to be able to run programs developers create without Steve Jobs' approval, and it needs to be able to view the entire internet.

Of course, that means little to you, doesn't it? It's just so magical, elegant, and sexy!!

Curious, why haven't you sold your iPad? It'll fetch a good price.
  • Reply 93 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Curious, why haven't you sold your iPad? It'll fetch a good price.

What I choose to buy or sell is my business, not yours. Curious, why do care???

Oh that's right, to own an Apple product you must profess your ever ending love for the product and the company that produces it...

As I mentioned, I really enjoy my iPhone, my Macs, and my iPad.

That where it ends.

People like you are probably going to spend the month worrying about what you can buy Steve for a Christmas present.

That's the difference., To Criticize a products doesn't make one a "hater" in the eyes of anyone except the most extreme fanboy...

You fit bill... Run along now and pick out something nice for "Steve"..
  • Reply 94 of 146
    Quote:

...As I mentioned, I really enjoy my iPhone, my Macs, and my iPad...

Your snarky reply to me aside, so I take it you like your iPad "crippled", as you call it in your posts above? Nothing personal, I just thought you didn't like your iPad. Could have fooled me.
  • Reply 95 of 146
    Quote:

You are correct! As Apple approaches mainstream, we need to evaluate and discuss their products objectively, using adult terms.

I have attended, listened to, or watched most of Steve Jobs presentations, dating back to the 1984 Mac Intro at Flint Center, and The 1979 Computer Faire in San Francisco.

I don't ever recall Steve using any thing like : "It's just so elegant, sexy, and delitious"... [sp]

[Sonny] Would you please provide a link so we all can evaluate how Steve uses words to make us "stand hypnotized drooling" ?

Quote:

Simple answer: The feature of the OS that allows you to be more productive is the UI.

For some things a touch interface is more productive than a point-and-click or point-and-drag.

When running an app on the iPhone. it is mostly the screen size that limits what you can do. On the iPad, that limitation disappears. The "magic" of the iPad is that the OS and artificial accessory devices * get "out of the way" -- there is nothing between you and your content.

* in this context I am referring to a physical mouse and a physical keyboard

Simple examples:

-- flicking a list and having it slow down and bounce when it gets to the end

-- dragging your finger and having the data go with you, realistically, with no delay

-- pinch zoom and having the data expand or contract proportionally, anticipating your needs

Sure, you can do much of this with a mouse -- but you must first:

-- move your hand to the mouse

-- move the mouse pointer to the appropriate area or handle

-- click/drag or click/flick

From force of habit, this may be automatic, but there are 3 non-touch actions compared 1 touch action -- I suspect one can easily become more proficient (productive) with fewer, direct actions.

I am curious as to how Win 7 on something like the HP Slate will accomplish the pinch/zoom -- with a stylus or a combination of stylus and finger gestures? What do you do with the stylus when you want to use your fingers? What do you do when you want [need] to use the stylus again?

Then, there are the new possibilities that are presented with a large multi-touch screen:

-- playing simultaneous chords (with both hands) on a virtual piano

-- moving multiple synthesizer sliders

Or watch these -- usable on an iPhone -- magical on an iPad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFG7-Q0WI7Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vomkNSluWW4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZC8kKVeSbg

When you experience it [the iPad UX] for the first time, it is kind of magical -- as magical as the first book must have been. I saw my first TV set in 1949 -- a 7" black and white screen. That was magical, too.

Quote:

You are certainly entitled to your opinions and needs criteria.

Others are entitled to their opinions and needs, too.

For example, there are secure locations where cameras are not allowed -- An iPad can go places where other tablets [with cameras] cannot go.

I too, would like more RAM, More SSD and faster CPU/GPU -- but for many needs, we can make do, nicely, using the iPad, the way it is.

If you or I really need a truly open system, we can JailBreak iOS or Android. I am a developer, so I can create whatever apps I desire.

But, I enjoy the convenience, security, quality of the app store -- I suspect that this also appeals to all but the most jaded techno-bigots that troll these forums.

• Reply 96 of 146
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

You do know anyone can look at your post history right? And that 99% of everything you have to say is childish sarcasm delivered in the net equivalent of a mocking sing song?

That makes you a troll, straight up. It's not a choice between mindless Apple worship and spirited debate. It's a choice between making any kind of contribution to a thread or running an insipid stream of puerile "How I like to imagine Apple people are" with the occasional "I'm a free thinker not subject to the RDF like all of you" when challenged.

Generally, when I see your posts, it's like you're responding to these horrible Apple sycophants that live in your head, and you come off as bitter and possibly delusional. Are they hiding under your bed mocking you? Do whisper their love of Steve to you on the street? Because I wonder why you would spend time on internet sites full of people who you have nothing but contempt for.

Oh, wait, let me guess: "Someone has to keep them honest." I particularly love that one, because it's so awesomely pathetic and amounts to holding up a sign that says "I am a huge loser with no joy in my life that must take what little pleasure he can from finding someone to mock."
  • Reply 97 of 146
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

You do know anyone can look at your post history right? And that 99% of everything you have to say is childish sarcasm delivered in the net equivalent of a mocking sing song?

That makes you a troll, straight up. It's not a choice between mindless Apple worship and spirited debate. It's a choice between making any kind of contribution to a thread or running an insipid stream of puerile "How I like to imagine Apple people are" with the occasional "I'm a free thinker not subject to the RDF like all of you" when challenged.

Generally, when I see your posts, it's like you're responding to these horrible Apple sycophants that live in your head, and you come off as bitter and possibly delusional. Are they hiding under your bed mocking you? Do whisper their love of Steve to you on the street? Because I wonder why you would spend time on internet sites full of people who you have nothing but contempt for.

Oh, wait, let me guess: "Someone has to keep them honest." I particularly love that one, because it's so awesomely pathetic and amounts to holding up a sign that says "I am a huge loser with no joy in my life that must take what little pleasure he can from finding someone to mock."

You skin that one, and I'll go catch us another!

• Reply 98 of 146
    wilwil Posts: 170member
    Oh please, Bibbler, the iPad is crippled excuse is getting old. I have no problem using it working as a nurse in a Chicago hospital. I know some doctors using it as reference device or a replacement for the hospital laptop or blackberry. There are companies who are using the iPad in myriad of ways and whatever limitations the iPad , they were able to work around it or overcome it and made the device work for them.

Bibbler, when I buy any electronic product especially an Apple product, the selling point is usability and battery life especially in regards to the iDevices. I rather have a supposedly cripple device I can work with for 6-8 hrs of heavy use rather than a beef up super Tablet with all the bell and whistles of a desktop computer and a battery life of 3 hours or less especially with intense use.

BTW, Bibbler, when people starts posting that they have x amt of Macs, iPads and iPhones and posting to other mac users that they are Apple sycophants when they disagree with your post.You have shown to other posters and lurkers the weakness of your arguments and being contemptuous and dismissal of other poster's opinions showed us the shallowness of your emotional intellect.
  • Reply 99 of 146
    Quote:

Back to the point. The iPad is crippled in it's current form.

I used to wonder why people loved their Macs. While I started computing with an Apple II+, I never liked the Mac. So for 20 years I used Microsoft products. In 2005 I bought a Mac Mini on a lark. When I used it, a strange thing happened, I spent all my time doing work on the computer instead of working on the computer. No more reinstalling to keep the speed up, no more slow downs due to AVG scanning.

A program called Yojimbo helped store items for future reference. Tagging files become a huge time saver. Yep is great for the 20,000+ PDFs I have. Leap helps tag other files.

Combine that with how well my iPad, multiple Macs and iPhone sync, and I'm even more productive. Based on my increased productivity, my Macs are an investment, earning me more money. Plus, I have less computer related questions from family members.

iPad - I don't find it crippled at all. I use Logmein for remote access to my desktop. I could also use it to login to clients Macs and Window boxes. Goodreader allowscme to study training material away from my desktop, Air server gives remote access to media on my desktop. If I need to annotate PDFs I can. Voice messages for transcription - handled.

Programming - using TextExpander I can type shortcuts to produce longer code segments.

Would I like a camera, yup. But, I'm still productive without it. Faster processor and more memory, sure. But, what I have, hasn't been an issue. So, I'll use my "crippled" device to make more money.

Even though the iPad may be crippled, I grab it before my MacBook, or Dell Mini 9 net book.
  • Reply 100 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

You are correct! As Apple approaches mainstream, we need to evaluate and discuss their products objectively, using adult terms.

I have attended, listened to, or watched most of Steve Jobs presentations, dating back to the 1984 Mac Intro at Flint Center, and The 1979 Computer Faire in San Francisco.

---snip---

But, I enjoy the convenience, security, quality of the app store -- I suspect that this also appeals to all but the most jaded techno-bigots that troll these forums.

Let me just interject here, apropos of nothing, that it is such a pleasure to read your posts, D.A.! You have a great perspective on Apple and the tech industry in general... you're like our very own Leo Laporte!