Apple releases iPhone, iPad iOS 4.2 Golden Master to developers

Comments

• Reply 21 of 49
    I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss Ireland about the toggle switch. Most of the people I hear or read from that use an iPad enjoy the switch to force an orientation; I know it's a feature I couldn't go without. My iPad seems to be a wonky with the accelerometer and switches orientations when I don't want it to, so the switch is an easy must have. At least Apple moved the toggle with the Brightness part of the multitasking bar.

After all that rant, this change doesn't matter to me much anyway as I'm waiting on the Jailbreak to 4.2 to be released. I came from a Motion tablet so I needed features (multitasking, file system transfers, mouse) that weren't available with the stock iPad, but I needed the longer battery life and ability to not use a pen for ALL input; jailbreak was my only option as dishing out another $2k for a Motion tablet with touch seemed rediculus. The only thing I miss is printing over an AD and OneNote. I have a developers license so maybe I'll try 4.2 out and let you guys know how well it works.

FYI: Full blown multitasking works great on a Jailbroken iPad with little memory problems so the designated multitasking Apple requires for apps that want to run in the background should work like a charm.
  • Reply 22 of 49
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Works great on both the iPad and iPhone - Haven't installed it on the iPod Touch yet. I figured with only 256 MB of ram, multitasking would make the iPad a stuttering mess... glad I was wrong.

Seems as though the new Macbook Airs and the iPad defy specs. I'm still in awe over my Macbook Air.

"We love flash" ... I can now see why, Steve.
  • Reply 23 of 49

I have about 1/2 hour left on my dload.

I have been using 4.2 betas on all acceptable iDevices since it was released about 8-9 weeks ago -- no major problems.

Multi-task / fast app switch makes the iPad come alive, in a whole new way -- ninguno performance issues.

The orientation/mute switch is a non-issue -- with a case (the Apple case) it is easier/faster to switch with software than hardware.

I can see why (for future purposes) Apple wants to standardize the use of the physical buttons/switches on iDevices.

If the switch is the best knockoff that users can find -- than Apple will likely lose 2-300 sales out of 45 million next year.

• Reply 24 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Works great on both the iPad and iPhone - Haven't installed it on the iPod Touch yet. I figured with only 256 MB of ram, multitasking would make the iPad a stuttering mess... glad I was wrong.

Seems as though the new Macbook Airs and the iPad defy specs. I'm still in awe over my Macbook Air.

"We love flash" ... I can now see why, Steve.

Tried Video AirPlay?

• Reply 25 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Tried Video AirPlay?

Until they push out the AppleTV update, I don't think it will work.
  • Reply 26 of 49
    AT&T carrier profile 9.0 and modem version 3.10.01. They've also seem to have expanded the field test section compared to 4.1.
  • Reply 27 of 49
    Quote:

Until they push out the AppleTV update, I don't think it will work.

I think you're right -- just tried from my iPad:

-- icon is different

-- shows ATV speaker, not Speaker & Screen

-- speaker doesn't work either

• Reply 28 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Good one. Jobs won't give us an option, the very idea of not having it as rotatation doesn't make sense. You think I care whether you think I have cred or not. I couldn't care less what you think. I'm pissed off about this for very good reason, and I know how touchy some of you get about El Jobso.

Cred? Give me break while I go get a bucket. You don't have a clue.

It's just not the issue you make it out to be. I've been using 4.2 on the iPad for at least a month now, and I really don't miss using the physical switch. As a matter of fact, I think you can level a convincing argument that having the software switch, which is always available in the same location of the display, is somewhat easier to use than trying to feel along the edges of the device for a button that is in a different position based on device orientation.

Try it before you go off.
  • Reply 29 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I think you're right -- just tried from my iPad:

-- icon is different

-- shows ATV speaker, not Speaker & Screen

-- speaker doesn't work either

I expect AppleTV to receive the 4.2 update anytime now. Boy am I impatient.
  • Reply 30 of 49
    r00fusr00fus Posts: 245member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Goldenclaw View Post

I agree, I love the current orientation switch.

Overall I have to say I'm a bit disappointed this update took so long to get to the iPad. I've been hearing about iOS4 for months now and I can't run it yet on my new device. Seems silly.

Be glad it's not an Android device... some of those came with an over-1-year old OS and no upgrade path to newer Android versions (see Dell Streak).

Also agreed about orientation switch. On a lark, I tried to live without it for a few days, and I can, but it's so frustrating.
  • Reply 31 of 49
    r00fusr00fus Posts: 245member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tt92618 View Post

It's just not the issue you make it out to be. I've been using 4.2 on the iPad for at least a month now, and I really don't miss using the physical switch. As a matter of fact, I think you can level a convincing argument that having the software switch, which is always available in the same location of the display, is somewhat easier to use than trying to feel along the edges of the device for a button that is in a different position based on device orientation.

Other than paying to be a beta dev, is there any easy way to upgrade and then downgrade back?
  • Reply 32 of 49
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tt92618 View Post

Good point. Depending on the orientation of my iPad I sometimes snag the rotation lock or increase/decrease the volume unintentionally by hitting the rocket switch.

I wouldn't be surprised to see both disappear on the next iPad. The software based orientation lock works fine on my iPhone. I don't really have a need for a physical button that can break.
  • Reply 33 of 49
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

I expect AppleTV to receive the 4.2 update anytime now. Boy am I impatient.

I?m glad to see that the iPad will soon be caught up to the rest of the iOS+CocoaTouch devices, but I wonder if the AppleTV will get that same treatment since the UI isn?t CocoaTouch and psychologically it?s a very different device even though it?s basically an Pad without the I/O and iOS without CocoaTouch.

I wouldn?t be surprised if they gave it a minor 4.1.1 update. Do even list the 4.1 restore IPSW on their dev site?
  • Reply 34 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Good point. Depending on the orientation of my iPad I sometimes snag the rotation lock or increase/decrease the volume unintentionally by hitting the rocket switch.

I wouldn't be surprised to see both disappear on the next iPad. The software based orientation lock works fine on my iPhone. I don't really have a need for a physical button that can break.

Agreed. To hear some say it, you'd think the rotation lock was going away entirely, or that Apple makes these changes just to spite them personally.
  • Reply 35 of 49
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Is there a reason we cannot take a photo from inside an email we are creating (like we can do in the SMS/MMS window). Seems like a no-brainer. Why do we need to go into the frikkin' photo album to attach a photo to an email?
  • Reply 36 of 49
    Does the iPad 4.2 firmware have support for danish on-screen keyboard?

The current iPad 3.x firmware does not support danish langiage or keyboard.

Thanks in advance.

/B
  • Reply 37 of 49
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

That mute switch is going to be a pain in the ass. FU Steve.

Nice mouth...
  • Reply 38 of 49
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

While I agree more RAM would be nice as it would allow more pages cached in Safari and more programs opened at once when multitasking, I don't believe there will be any performance issues. Apple has been working on this update since really at least February. All recent reports have lauded its speed and smoothness, even noting an improvement in memory usage for default applications such as Safari. I'm really looking forward to this update.

I've heard some of these comments myself so I'm hopeful but i remember whar Apple did to iPhone 3G users an update or two ago. So frankly I don't trust them! The iOS team seems to have a different idea about software quality versus the OS/X team. They certainly haven't done their reputation any good.

Still I'm optimistic. I'm also wondering if they are building with the LLVM tool chain yet. CLANG is pretty much ready and they have made great strides with the rest of LLVM. I understand that know most of BSD can be built with CLANG. It actually excites me that we might have a high quality tool chain that isn't GPL'ed.

I'm actually trying to motivate myself to do an app or two on the side. It isn't all that easy to do when working full time. Actually this reminds me Apple has a lot of downloads coming in the next couple of weeks. Looks like I will be taking advantage of the local WiFi hot spots.
  • Reply 39 of 49
    Can anybody which have 4.2 on their iPad, please check if there is support for danish on-screen keyboard?

Thanks in advance
  • Reply 40 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BeanDK View Post

Can anybody which have 4.2 on their iPad, please check if there is support for danish on-screen keyboard?

Thanks in advance

Yes!