Netbook demand sinks as 80% of tablet buyers want Apple's iPad

Comments

• Reply 41 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thompr View Post

Note that you still have to (somehow) load the movie onto your computer in order to stream it using these applications.

Or you use something like Netflix or buy it that way from the start.

Heck these days, several companies are bundling digital copies with their DVDs/blu-rays. So I have the disc for at home and the digital for on the road. Win-win. Although if companies would put the same features on the digital copies I'd rather just buy that cause space in my place is limited. One day I'm sure it will happen.
  • Reply 42 of 85
    But... but... it's just a large iPod Touch!??
  • Reply 43 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

But, would you give up your MBPro for a MBAir?

Quite likely, I think, and you fit into the relatively small category of people who actually need a mobile desktop experience. Most people don't.

I think this is the computing model of the future (and it will be the same with or without cloud): fixed workstations plus satellite devices. Satellite devices may be, depending on need, tablets or ultralight laptops, but tablets will be more prevalent. (Smartphones also serve as satellite devices, but are, and will remain, constrained in functionality and usability vs. tablets and UL laptops.)

Although, the article yesterday re NFC+fixed workstations points to another possible scenario where your "satellite device" is merely a repository, and the computing power is provided by a fixed workstation. This is further in the future, though, and depends on the ubiquity of fixed workstations supporting this functionality.

EDIT: Note that this NFC+fixed workstation mode of computing is still part of the Star Trek model that everyone, knowingly or not, is aiming for. Sometimes they carried around little data modules that they could just plug into any available computer to access and work with, and they always had exactly the tools they needed available.

With a little imagination and some not-too-difficult software, the iPad could become the ultimate "Thin Client". At the office (or home) when needed, attach a keyboard and WiFi Connect to a Server that does the heavy lifting.

When you leave, you take the iPad with you -- or there are other iPads available wherever you go (e.g. Doctors at the nurses station, just grab an iPad and make their rounds, return the iPad when done).

When "heavy lifting" or direct connectivity is not required, the iPad is a self-contained computer.

In California, we need to vote out of the Box...

• Reply 44 of 85
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Yeah but its dying from something like low grade prostate cancer which will take 30 years to kill it.

That’s why I like to use the word “obsolescing”. It’s moving toward becoming obsolete, but it’s not obsolete.

I think 30 years might be optimistic. Sony just stopped making 3.5” floppy discs this year and I can’t even remember that last computer I used that had one installed. With Flash, there are just too many features that have been bolted on and are well ingrained to be replaced overnight by open standards. The first has always been video, which has been the most prolific use of Flash on the web, but there are still many little uses of Flash that will be around for a very long time and on older browsers that can’t support newer standards.

PS: Even the HTML5/CSS3/JS laden MobileMe site uses Adobe Flash. If you go to iDisk and then choose to upload a file the green arrow will have a Flash overlay. I know it’s there because of ClickToFlash. My guess is that it’s to interact with the local system files, something that open standards can’t do as well or at all.
  • Reply 45 of 85
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Or you use something like Netflix or buy it that way from the start.

Both of which we also do. But as for that HUGE collection of DVDs that we built up over the years, especially animated ones that the kiddies never get tired of? This "bridge" to the digital future is allowing us to replace all of our DVD players (portable and otherwise) with either iPads or AppleTVs. Once we get to the condition of having a digital player for every TV, or every mobile purpose, we'll no longer buy physical media. That time is fast approaching at our house!

Thompson
  • Reply 46 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

But... but... it's just a large iPod Touch!?™

Actually, it is a small big-assed-table!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCbSw...yer_embedded#!

• Reply 47 of 85
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jmmx View Post

Certainly there are many factors involved in the decline of netbooks. But in case you haven't noticed, while the Great Republican Recession is over TECHNICALLY (i.e. economy is no longer shrinking) the reality is a lot more grim in terms of any real recovery. So people are not turning away from them because they are so much richer now.

A drop from 24% to 14% (10 points) is a 42% drop, that is huge. People must be looking at alternatives for whatever reasons. Upscaling or moving over to iPad.

It would have been interesting to see actual sales figures so we can see what numbers we are talking about. How many units of netbooks and how many units of iPads. Then we could see the comparison. One thing is sure, someone is not too likely to buy both a netbook and an iPad.

I can't really disagree. But again, this almost defines the outcome simply by deciding what to look at.

It seems more likely that the recession is causing the netbook sales slump. Note that iPads are mostly being bought by the economic bracket least affected by the recession. Netbook sales, overall, were to a completely different demographic. This is straying dangerously close to a can of worms involving the exact nature of the recession. But I do think it is key to figuring out why netbook sales have slowed.

... when people compare iPad sales and netbook sales, they'll certainly fixate just on those two numbers. Reality is more complex and less entertaining than simply "bam - iPad turns world on end".
  • Reply 48 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

You do realize that you can stream audio and video over WiFi and 3G from your home (or any computer) to your iPad.

See the StreamToMe app & its personal computer companion ServeToMe.

We, routinely, stream home movies of soccer highlights to show others during practices -- in the middle of a park. There are 4 separate Macs running ServeToMe so we have a selection of 10,000 songs and 800 videos.

In addition, these Macs each run a VideoCam server (iCam/iCamServe) when we're out and about -- so we can monitor what's going on at home. Those damn cats keep triggering alerts (push notifications) as they move about!

The only time you really need to store AV content on your iPad is for long car trips, etc. where WiFi is not readily available and 3G data use would be too expensive.

I've haven't heard of StreamToMe. How does it compare to AirVideo or Orb? Personally, I prefer AirVideo for video streaming over Orb for its video quality. It's quite good on iphones. I'll look into StreamToMe and compare it with AirVideo.
  • Reply 49 of 85
    I was all set to buy a new MacBook air, but the wife pointed out that my 15" macbook pro would make that a little redundant. So, she talked me into getting an IPad. I got the 64gb 3G version. So far I like it. I do have to admit that it would be a better device if it supported Adobe flash. Many of the web sites that I visit like Edmunds Inside line are not very good without it.... Maybe in a few years more of the web sites will have an alternative to flash. The netflix app is excellent as is the zino magazine reader.

It could never replace a laptop, but it good for quick trips and vacations.... I have to admit that I love watching movies on it....
  • Reply 50 of 85
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    ..." even as competitors like Samsung and Research in Motion tout their own tablets." Mattel should bring one out to join this bunch.
  • Reply 51 of 85
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hezetation View Post

f you really examine the multitude of apps available for iPad I think you will find it actually lacks very little now in the way of network troubleshooting. Scany is great network scanning tool, WifiTrak is good tool for scanning available wifi networks. There are RDP, VNC, & SSH apps galore. There are office apps like quickoffice or the iWork apps. You can organize PDFs in iBook app, do markups & bookmark your reading. There are actually even a few things an iPad can do that I wish my Mac could. The more time I spend actually working with iPads at my work the more I'm finding I'm not so in love with a full sized, full featured laptop. Crazy part is I have a 13" MB & it is starting to feel too big & clunky!

I'm not convinced yet. I just don't feel very productive having to use a dozen different apps to work around the lack of functionality of iPad, and those apps are clumsy at best, IMO, especially without multitasking yet. Sure, I am going to download 4.2 tonight but nevertheless having to rely on cloud storage or VNC/SSH to be able to create and save a file is just not convenient. I have not found a decent FTP program yet for iPad and with no capable replacement for CS Suite, I am still a long, long way from sacrificing the ease of use and functionality of the MBP for the loss of a couple pounds. I'll always choose function over form.
  • Reply 52 of 85

.[/QUOTE]

I like what you did there. haha
  • Reply 53 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I fully expect the Flash devs to picket WHATWG and W3C with misspelled signs saying ?THAY TOOK ?ER JOBS!"

I personally don't know any professional Flash developers who are one trick ponies. Most are competent rails, php, css, javascript experts, as well as graphic designers.
  • Reply 54 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I'm not convinced yet. I just don't feel very productive having to use a dozen different apps to work around the lack of functionality of iPad, and those apps are clumsy at best, IMO, especially without multitasking yet. Sure, I am going to download 4.2 tonight but nevertheless having to rely on cloud storage or VNC/SSH to be able to create and save a file. I have not found a decent FTP program yet for iPad and with no capable replacement for CS Suite, I am still a long, long way from sacrificing the ease of use and functionality of the MBP for the loss of a couple pounds. I'll always choose function over form.

If you are a Power user of CS, then an iPad or iPad/Cloud solution, likely, won't meet your needs.

There are some decent apps that do many of the basic things you can do with CS -- but their not integrated.

There are some preliminary indications of a more robust (visible) file system for iDevices -- especially the iPad.

Now, that iOS 4.2 consolidates iOS across all current devices, I suspect we will see fairly rapid incremental improvements to the iOS -- shared files / file transfer should b near the top of the list.

• Reply 55 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kohelet View Post

I like what you did there. haha[/QUOTE]

Please call me "DickHead" -- it took me a long time to earn that title...

• Reply 56 of 85
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I personally don't know any professional Flash developers who are one trick ponies. Most are competent rails, php, css, javascript experts, as well as graphic designers.

That was meant to be a joke, not to be taken seriously. Honestly, where exactly would they be picketing and why would Flash devs sound like rednecks from South Park?
  • Reply 57 of 85
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Please call me "DickHead" -- it took me a ling time to earn that title...

Yes sir, Mr. Applebaum... er I mean, Dickhead
  • Reply 58 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That was meant to be a joke, not to be taken seriously. Honestly, where exactly would they be picketing and why would Flash devs sound like rednecks from South Park?

Sure I realize that, but it wasn't a very funny joke because that is the mentality of the Flash haters - is that the Flash devs fear losing their livelihood and therefore want to hang on as long as possible when in fact, for the most part, they recognize the incredible power of Flash and the relatively limited alternatives available with HTML 5. I would say that all serious Flash developers (not Adobe employees) are perfectly content to let video playback be entirely HTML 5 as soon as most popular browsers support it. Flash video was just a temporary convenience while the video wars were being waged. Now it is becoming irrelevant. But Flash has so many other very powerful features that are unmatched in any other format. Sure, not usable on mobile but that is a deficiency with mobile not the other way around.
  • Reply 59 of 85
    ruel24ruel24 Posts: 432member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Yeah but its dying from something like low grade prostate cancer which will take 30 years to kill it.

Exactly. I really considered getting my girlfriend an iPad, because all she ever really does could be done on one, but she plays a lot of those Facebook games (despite my trying to reason with her why not to) and they're in Flash. So, it's a no-go, for now, until those things become HTML-5 based.
  • Reply 60 of 85
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

But I think MacRulez still raises a good point. Want to buy is sometimes influenced by what is familiar and available. Given that the Playbook, Tab, etc are not yet in stores for the general public to see and know it exists, it's not really a shock that they want to buy an iPad.

Once they see the other two 'in the flesh' it is possible that the numbers will come up. Perhaps not hugely but I could see Apple's lead dropping down to more like 60% once all these other 'amazing' tablets are out. But 60% while some 6-7 other items share the other 40% still isn't shabby. Not to mention that while a result of being the only product on the market, this overwhelming lead is a dangerous territory anti-trust wise. It would actually benefit Apple legally to lose a little market share. They are still making bank hand over fist.

Let's also keep in mind that this is 3100 folks, gathered from who knows. And looking at other sources they are more than willing to admit that their results don't reflect the whole. So it's likely not a well formed population sample and was done by one of those magazine subscriber, web site members or joe on the street coming out of best buy methods

I dunno. The only really viable candidates on that list are the Tab and the Playbook. The Streak is around, somewhere, doesn't seem like it's going to bust out any time soon; Archos just keeps plodding along cranking out assorted tablet like things and I can't see where they're going to abruptly get popular; the HP is just another Windows tablet; the Sony isn't even in the same category.

Ever since the iPad was released we've been playing this little game where we're obliged to talk about the "tablet market" and "exploding tablet sales" and "consumer excitement" etc. while strenuously ignoring the face that we're actually talking about ...... the iPad. Literally a market of one. A category of one. If you're really determined, you can pretend like previous Windows or Linux tablets were much like the iPad and just didn't happen to sell well for inexplicable reasons so the iPad is just a more successful version of a well established niche, but that's of course not true.

The survey in question actually had to pad their list by including non-starters, obvious failures, and unreleased products, because if they had been honest it would have been the iPad vs. the Tab with maybe a question asking if anyone had heard of the Playbook.

So getting close to a year in for the iPad and the "exploding tablet market" is the iPad and a similarly priced much smaller tablet with an OS that Google says isn't ready for the form factor.

Not to say 2011 won't see lots and lots of product come onto the market, and if they sell well maybe then we can talk about explosions, but to date it's all been a polite fiction.